THE BROWNS BOARD

EJ Gaines signing for the Browns

darren15

EJ Gaines was drafted by Rams 6th round #188 in 2014. Was drafted when Gregg Williams was at Rams.In 2014, 73 tackles 2 picks.Gaines was out with foot Lisfranc injury in 2015. But played Ok in 2016 & 17 getting 57 tackles with 1 pick on average/year. Welcome Aboard The Goodship Dorsey EJ!!

Healthy thru college (Mizzou), but missed 5 games each of past two years.

Short 5'09... slightly long wingspan... only a 31.5" vert...OK speed 4.51.

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

PFF ranked him as the 13th best corner in the league either you have a nose for the ball or you don't and seems to have it  maybe this will shut up all the winners about trading McCourtney

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I like how you say "only" 31" vertical yours is what?  Yeah, 40+" is good, but that doesn't necessarily translate to NFL success.   https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/what-are-the-highest-vertical-jumps-in-nfl-scouting-combine-history.html/?a=viewall

nfl.com has him listed an inch taller 5' 10", and depending on who you want to believe  185 or 195.   Played for Williams on the Rams, so Greg knows what he's getting...  

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_sign_cb_ej_gaines_reuni.html

Just now, syd said:

PFF ranked him as the 13th best corner in the league either you have a nose for the ball or you don't and seems to have it  maybe this will shut up all the winners about trading McCourtney

So if he's available he's good... got it.

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

nfl.com has him listed an inch taller 5' 10", and depending on who you want to believe  185 or 195. 

Mine were DraftScout numbers from his ProDay... but I cheated him out of 1/2"... measured at 5'09.5... and 190#.

18 minutes ago, syd said:

even with missed games still a huge upgrade over McCourtney

Huge? Here's their production over the past two seasons...

McC: 28 games; 3 INT; 26 Passes Defended; 2 Forced Fumbles; 113 tackles; 19 assists

EJG: 22 games; 1 INT; 16 Passes Defended; 4 Forced Fumbles; 95 tackles; 20 assists

I get younger option, but what am I missing?

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Huge? Here's their production over the past two seasons...

McC: 28 games; 3 INT; 26 Passes Defended; 2 Forced Fumbles; 113 tackles; 19 assists

EJG: 22 games; 1 INT; 16 Passes Defended; 4 Forced Fumbles; 95 tackles; 20 assists

I get younger option, but what am I missing?

Tour, you just don't see that the guy is a real leader. I would say a "real football player". Fiery. A real winner. And other stuff that can't be measured and/or related to football in anyway.

All joking aside, I hope Gaines plays well and can stay on the field.

Just now, LogicIsForSquares said:

Tour, you just don't see that the guy is a real leader. I would say a "real football player". Fiery. A real winner. And other stuff that can't be measured and/or related to football in anyway.

All joking aside, I hope Gaines plays well and can stay on the field.

If he stays on the field the gains will be ours

Dissenting opinion...

Ian WhartonVerified account @NFLFilmStudy

McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

11:52 AM - 23 Mar 2018

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Dissenting opinion...

McCourty to Carrie is a massive drop (Carrie's not even a qualified outside CB), and Gaines to Taylor is a wash (plus Gaines struggles to stay healthy). Safeties are wholly unproven. They may have gotten worse this off-season.

Well then, maybe, hopefully they DO still have some DBs in mind for early in the draft.   If they don't take one at 4, I think they have to get one or two in rounds 2-3.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Dissenting opinion...

so this dude has never coached at any level let alone being a scout for a NFL team and u put this crap out there like i am going to take his word over what Dorsey has planned ? 

2 hours ago, jcam222 said:

so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

We've added pieces all over the team, we really don't have any holes right now. We could go and play tomorrow if we had to. We've set ourselves up to take what the draft is going to give us, BPA all the way- it's what successful teams do. I see it as it should be, you fill your holes in FA and take the best players and make yourself better through the draft/development process. 

Going into FA, our biggest needs were QB, CB/S, RB, WR, OL. We've solidly addressed all of these. 

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Dissenting opinion...

Considering the Browns had like for corners dressed for games last year I can see how this is a down grade, we dont even know how good....or bad Howard Wilson is yet. I think the Browns are better in the secondary. We have a free safety who can cover for sure, thats an upgrade. We definitely have more depth and quality depth. We will see how it works out but I suspect our nickel and dime packages are a lot better already.

30 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

We've added pieces all over the team, we really don't have any holes right now. We could go and play tomorrow if we had to. We've set ourselves up to take what the draft is going to give us, BPA all the way- it's what successful teams do. I see it as it should be, you fill your holes in FA and take the best players and make yourself better through the draft/development process. 

Going into FA, our biggest needs were QB, CB/S, RB, WR, OL. We've solidly addressed all of these. 

Well since RB isn't a need anymore, no reason to draft your boy 😂 JK

5 hours ago, jcam222 said:

so do we think enough attention has been paid to our secondary that its an unlikely position to be drafted  in rounds 1 or 2? I am starting to think so. 

I still thinking Ward... Yes, we've made moves, but where is the shutdown corner?

As Runyon pointed out we still have to see what Howard Wilson can bring, but someone has to push Carrie back to slot duty.

And Safety is a real unknown... times two.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I still thinking Ward... Yes, we've made moves, but where is the shutdown corner?

As Runyon pointed out we still have to see what Howard Wilson can bring, but someone has to push Carrie back to slot duty.

And Safety is a real unknown... times two.

I'm with you. This unit doesn't make me excited to watch it next play season. It was awful last year, so almost any change could have made it better. 

But there have been so many moves that now I'm wondering if we'll aim for secondary in 1st or 2nd round. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced we'll go QB-Chubb and then RB with #33 (or earlier). 

Archived