THE BROWNS BOARD

Alliance of American Football

The Gipper

Another new league is now being proposed:   The Alliance of American Football.

Front men are Chuck Ebersol....primary pitchman.  Bill Polian and Troy Palomalu involved.

Supposed to start up in Feb.  2019.

No teams or cities yet announced.

10 game spring season.    Is supposed to have some relationship with the NFL...maybe even like a minor league for them.

CBS will broadcast games.

A variety of rules differential will be involved.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/spring-league-alliance-of-american-football-to-launch-in-2019-on-cbs/

Oh yeah what can go wrong here? :lol:

........ The plan, like the XFL, is to stock the league with players who don't make it onto NFL rosters.

"There is a significant amount of football talent looking to begin or extend their professional careers," Polian said. "The Alliance will provide those players with a new opportunity to compete at a high level. Our players and fans are the lifeblood of The Alliance, and we will treat them as such."

"We will give players an opportunity to flourish on the field while establishing plans to support their personal and professional growth, health, safety and financial well-being.........

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Front men are Chuck Ebersol....primary pitchman.  Bill Polian and Troy Palomalu involved.

Well that's interesting... I was totally dismissive until seeing these names.

I wonder if they are angling to be a small market, "minor league"...

43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yea, don't know.....but they should be.  Though...if they are going to play their games in Feb to April....I suspect they may end up being a dome/southern league.  They could end up in non NFL cities.   If I were they I may do an East/West thing:

West:   San Diego,  Sacramento, Portland, San Antonio

East:  Birmingham,  Orlando,   Norfolk/Va. Beach,  Memphis?

Or...if they really wanted to be in "minor league cities".....they could go into like Fresno,  Tuscon, Albuquerque, El Paso, Austin,  Birmingham,  Norfolk, Knoxville    that sort of city.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You never know how this or other private ventures are set up, who's money is really on the line. Are there advertising and other contracts out there? Normally even if these ventures fail some people might make money and other investors will lose money.

As far as names there are generally a few notable backers or advisors like maybe Polian. 

One thing for sure the NFL (or NBA) do not want to fund any type of minor leagues but might have some tie-ins......if successful. 

~But~ even legitimate minor leagues have problems staying afloat, I'd bet this too will go THUD!

Bill's been decrying the lack of a developmental league for some time now.

Problem of course is that most of the mediocre talent gets drafted late or signed as UDFA for PSs so it can't go from college to "the minors". But this year's late talent does tend to shove out the same level players that preceded it by a year or two. So it could also be a "second chance" league of sorts.

heard Bill Polian radio segment on this yesterday..$35.00 anywhere in the building tickets to keep it family friendly..Atlanta Falcons concession stand plan with free fountain drink refills,2$ dogs & 2$ Beers ..If they are a UDFA they will more likely be there. Bill's undecided on Draft format  

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

heard Bill Polian radio segment on this yesterday..$35.00 anywhere in the building tickets to keep it family friendly..Atlanta Falcons concession stand plan with free fountain drink refills,2$ dogs & 2$ Beers ..If they are a UDFA they will more likely be there. Bill's undecided on Draft format  

Awesome on all of this 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

I heard that they are going to do their draft regionally, so hypothetically a team is placed in Akron... they would have first dibs on a player from Ohio State... 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I heard that they are going to do their draft regionally, so hypothetically a team is placed in Akron... they would have first dibs on a player from Ohio State... 

They could put a team in to play in the Hall of Fame stadium in Canton.

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

They could put a team in to play in the Hall of Fame stadium in CantonThey could put a team in to play in the Hall of Fame stadium in Canton

On your phone again GiPOn your phone again Gip?:P

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh and SEC vs BIG TEN vs PAC 10 thing going on? 

Akron? How about the new Canton Bulldogs? (dream on?)

11 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yea, don't know.....but they should be.  Though...if they are going to play their games in Feb to April....I suspect they may end up being a dome/southern league.  They could end up in non NFL cities.   If I were they I may do an East/West thing:

West:   San Diego,  Sacramento, Portland, San Antonio

East:  Birmingham,  Orlando,   Norfolk/Va. Beach,  Memphis?

Or...if they really wanted to be in "minor league cities".....they could go into like Fresno,  Tuscon, Albuquerque, El Paso, Austin,  Birmingham,  Norfolk, Knoxville    that sort of city.

Don't forget St. Louis has a very nice Dome that's currently not being used.  

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Just the way the NFL and AFL started...

Well.....here is another thought about this new league:    It was mentioned by the CEO guy who heads it up that it can be a venue for some players who may have been in the league a bit, but who got  aufed from it because younger draftees have come along to have a second chance to play....and perhaps prove themselves worthy again to get another NFL shot......or simply to continue to play football for a living.....though at a much lower salary level than NFL level.   

Of course, two names came to mind:    John P. Manziel, and Colin Kaepernik.    But you could perhaps seem other familiar names.

Maybe not him specifically...but a Trent Richardson type.   

Archived