THE BROWNS BOARD

Darnold at #1?

Babernakle

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

No.....we really do need new, better looking uniforms.    But its OK for what it is.

Yes, these Johnny-Manziel era unis blow. Just thinking Darnold looks the part as a big, strong, dumb AFC North QB. Worked for the other teams in the division.

Zombo

16 hours ago, D Bone said:

As probably the only guy on this forum who has seen every single snap of both Darnold and Rosen and likes both of them, I'll crudely sum it up as this:

You want a guy to teach a QB clinic on what a prototypical QB's mechanics should look like.....  Rosen's your dude.

You want a guy who makes accurate, on time throws from all over the field while looking a bit awkward..... Darnold's the pick. 

You want a guy who looks like he's into the game 100% of the time no matter the score..... Darnold.

You want a guy who sometimes looks like he would rather be anywhere but where he is no matter the score..... Rosen. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....... 

I don't care what their facial expression is. Unless they do the Weeden face after that underhanded flip. 

On 3/20/2018 at 8:53 PM, Babernakle said:

I feel that’s it’s a sure thing Darnold is going to be a brown.  And I’m really happy about that.  But now with the heat being turned up with people after Barkley and Chubb or one of the other three qbs that 4 spot really gets valuable.  So if the browns get the other teams 1 and 1 next year and a 2 and 3 this year should they trade down? I say yes because of the statistics of where most great players come from but either way the browns are in a great spot but like I said I take more picks what do you fellas think

More picks? And put them where?

This was already the youngest team in the NFL, they need quality not quantity.....unless they want to field an NFL JV team.

Trade UP not down, still have 10 picks to burn through. 

First time post.

This is what I see in Darnold:

1.  He has moxie/it factor.  He will sling it and make all the throws. (please go back and watch all the throws not just the highlight ones.)

2.  He never wavers.  Cool customer

3.  He was first recruited as a linebacker by Justin Wilcox, then the def. Coordinator at SC as a sophomore.  He is a football player.

4. His grandfather, D!ck Hammer, was a basketball and volleyball player at SC.  Later participated in the Olympics in volleyball.  Later, became the original Marboroman.  He has cool in his genes.  Most of his immediate family members were college athletes.

5. He is a quiet person and leads by example.  Much like Barry Sanders.  Captain of his high school basketball and football teams.  Also captain of USC team as a rs-sophomore.

6. His dad, a plummer/ mom a gym teacher.  Has blue collar work ethics.

7. He wins. And usually, he is a big part of the reason why.  I never felt that way about other qbs.  Even Carson Palmer.  3 years at Sc he was a .500 winning % qb with equally talented team.  Barkley/Kessler with better oline and better recievers  (Robert woods/Marquis Lee/Nelson Agulhor/Juju)

I have been following USC since I went to school there in 1993.  And I can attest that he will be the QB that will bring Browns out of the football purgatory and lead them to the promise land.  I laughed when people questioned his competitiveness when he decided not to throw on the combine.  Because he loves competition.

When he was coming out of high school, Rosen was the #1 rated QB in the Nation.   And Darnold, who played OLB, WR and QB at his high school only focused on playing the QB position during his senior year. (he was injured part of his junior year).  2nd best QB was widely considered Ricky towns who signed with USC.  When Darnold was offered, he didn't hesitate to come in and compete with Towns/Kessler/Browne-who was the consesus best QB recruit before.

Darnold came in after the first week of summer throwing sessions, Ricky Towns left the school before the actually enrollment.  He knew he couldn't beat out this kid who seemed to come out of nowhere.  

In Darnold's true freshman year, he was so good that John Robinson, former usc/Ram's coach quoted saying that he is the best player on the field everytime he has the ball.  But because USC was coming off NCAA sanction years, coaches wanted to play safe and play the veteran QB, Cody kessler, incumbent starter who was, less talented but decent college QB. Darnold becomes the service team MVP.

Next year, since the spring ball, Darnold seemed to pull ahead but Coached decides to go with Browne at QB that made usc go 1-3 in the first 4 games.   Darnold steps in and wins the rest of the games and wins the Rosebowl.

In 2017, SC lost 2 multiple year starters at LT and RT and their best Guard to NFL, lost 3 senior WRs who were the 3/4/5 option and 1st option in JUJU and dynamic playmaker in Adoree Jackson.  we knew we had a shaky offensive line, questionable playcalling and unproven WRs.   and of the three loses. If you watch the first 5 games, half the int are because the he hit the WR in the hands and they would just bat in the air or drop.  On many occasions they run the wrong routes.  The fumbles are on him but that's because he wants to win, and tries to do too much.  And the teamates know what he is about.  He never complained.  He never blamed others.  He always said I need to get better.  Watch the @Washington St. game where defense lost the game which he almost made a another comeback.  SC lost 3 linemen before the game had a true freshman playing guard and center playing LT.  

People who follow SC in the last few years believe that Sam actually saved HeadcoachHelton's job.   

He will save Jackson's  job.  He will save cleveland.

1 hour ago, SD_Tom said:

I don't care what their facial expression is. Unless they do the Weeden face after that underhanded flip. 

More than just facial expressions.....

When you watch a real game in real time so you have the feel for the flow and pressure of the game - not just highlight clips or days while they're wearing shorts and a tank top, you can easily see when an athlete checks out a bit, or rises to the challenge regardless of the ultimate outcome. 

As I said, I like both dudes but there were more than just a few times over the years of watching Rosen where I was like "Come on dude, be a phucking leader out there"....... I never thought that even once with Darnold.

With the #1 overall pick investment to the most important position in professional team sports, you decide what 'facial expression' you want leading your Browns.  

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Well, after watching Darnold's pro day...twice, I think:

1. Darnold rocked it, in the rain. He has quick feet in the pocket to evade the rush and extend plays, throws on the run beautifully, fluidly - keeps his eyes downfield, has a real, real good arm, has worked on his ball security, and throws a beautiful catchable ball, that still doesn't float - still *gets there*.

Seems to be the popular take, but that's never stopped me before...

As I wrote in another reply, I'm trying to get there, to accept Sam as the pick, but I'm having issues... and Sam's Pro Day did not help me. The commentary was so dissociated from the visual it felt like propaganda.

His 5 and 7-step drop footwork was a mess... it was slow, he was hopping into his sets and hitched resets. I suspected this was why he did not throw at the Combine and it was clear to me that his retooled feet were still not ready for display.

The times he looked good were in his 3-step drops from "the gun" and the designed rollouts... where he was doing what he always has done. His rollouts seemed to be the only throws he really "cut loose".

And the rain? No effect if you believed the commentary... I guess my eyes lie. Yes, there were some good, no effect throws, but there were more missing their target that there were before the rains came. And even before the rain when he was dropping from "under center", his throws were off.

I was making progress before the goddamn pro day...

I absolutely love the little detail of Joe's hand position in this.

5 hours ago, darren15 said:

He was at dinner last night with the Browns......here is a photo taken

DY1_eRQV4AESIWn.jpg

5 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

According to NFL.com it's not close at all, where Darnold is rated the best QB prospect for many years.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position

Darnold 7.0 - Trubisky 6.3  - Wentz 6.5 - Winston 6.7 - Bortles 6.2

First, anyone or any group that thinks they can grade to two significant digits is full of it.

Jeremiah just did his ordering of the past three years: Darnold, Wentz, Rosen, Goff, Mayfield, Allen, Watson, Trubs, Kizer & Lynch.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922045/article/top-10-qb-prospects-of-past-3-nfl-draft-classes-darnold-no-1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

HighSmith played OLB

ummmm... 'Lonzo was a RB for the old Oilers.

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

For some reason I get a little Jared Goff feeling about Sam.

It's Bortles for me...

Just read another comp by I forget who, but it was Romo. I could see that as well.

46 minutes ago, D Bone said:

More than just facial expressions.....

When you watch a real game in real time so you have the feel for the flow and pressure of the game - not just highlight clips or days while they're wearing shorts and a tank top, you can easily see when an athlete checks out a bit, or rises to the challenge regardless of the ultimate outcome. 

As I said, I like both dudes but there were more than just a few times over the years of watching Rosen where I was like "Come on dude, be a phucking leader out there"....... I never thought that even once with Darnold.

With the #1 overall pick investment to the most important position in professional team sports, you decide what 'facial expression' you want leading your Browns.  

Before the college season ended,  it was assumed that Darnold and Rosen would go 1 and 2.  They could possibly still,  especially if giants trade out of that pick. 

Whoever the Browns get,  let's hope it's THE GUY. Finally 

AFC exec convinced Browns will take Darnold 1st overall

Jack BrowneMar 22 2018, 1:47 PM

The Browns may finally have locked onto their savior.

An anonymous AFC executive told MMQB's Albert Breer that they believe Cleveland will draft former USC quarterback Sam Darnold with the first overall pick in April.

"He's going No. 1," the executive said after Darnold's workout at his pro day Wednesday. "Everyone out there today saw the Browns' franchise quarterback."

Related: Potential top pick Darnold impresses at rainy pro day

Darnold has long been in contention to become the top overall pick, with fellow quarterback Josh Rosen and running back Saquon Barkley also in the mix.

However, it appears the Browns have their sights set on the young but hugely talented Darnold, who would benefit from a year on the bench behind 2018 starter Tyrod Taylor.

27 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It's Bortles for me...

Just read another comp by I forget who, but it was Romo. I could see that as well.

Well I'd rather have Romo if I got to choose. Allen seems more like Bortles to me or maybe an upgraded Kizer.

And not the actual style of play or physicality I just figured Jared Goff was the number one consensus guy that didn't make me say wow!

WSS

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

As I wrote in another reply, I'm trying to get there, to accept Sam as the pick, but I'm having issues... and Sam's Pro Day did not help me. The commentary was so dissociated from the visual it felt like propaganda.

His 5 and 7-step drop footwork was a mess... it was slow, he was hopping into his sets and hitched resets. I suspected this was why he did not throw at the Combine and it was clear to me that his retooled feet were still not ready for display.

The times he looked good were in his 3-step drops from "the gun" and the designed rollouts... where he was doing what he always has done. His rollouts seemed to be the only throws he really "cut loose".

And the rain? No effect if you believed the commentary... I guess my eyes lie. Yes, there were some good, no effect throws, but there were more missing their target that there were before the rains came. And even before the rain when he was dropping from "under center", his throws were off.

Blimey, this is food for thought considering the consensus I've read since

2 hours ago, onkyoreceiver said:

That does it for me.

His grandad was the f'ing  MARLBORO MAN.

I am officially onboard.

:lol: I couldn't find it, but one of the best sight gags I can ever remember was on the back cover of Mad Magazine many, many years ago. It had the Marlboro Man in a cemetery smoking a cigarette, with the caption-   "YOU'RE IN MARBLE-ROW COUNTRY".  

I absolutely love the little detail of Joe's hand position in this.

And regarding the guy on the far right- since someone asked is Alonzo Highsmith...   

3 hours ago, Ashtabula said:

First time post.

This is what I see in Darnold:

I'm not going to copy the entire post, but Thanks for the first effort (I'm out of reactions for the day)- good background on the guy. He'll fit right in with the Cleveland Fans.  

I'm not a QB expert, but it did look like his feet were bouncing around a lot when he was setting up. That should be fixable. 

I thought most of his throws were really accurate, rain or not. did see a little more wobble when the deluge started. When they showed the old footage of Bridge-water's pro day where he was missing guys by 5 yards, no comparison. 

:D Can we schedule a blizzard in Laramie Friday to even things out? I'll be tuning in...   

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'm not a QB expert, but it did look like his feet were bouncing around a lot when he was setting up. That should be fixable. 

I thought most of his throws were really accurate, rain or not. did see a little more wobble when the deluge started. When they showed the old footage of Bridge-water's pro day where he was missing guys by 5 yards, no comparison.

In a scripted Pro Day with familiar receivers there should be few misses... and I'm not talking about the ball hitting the ground. Even before the rain I often saw WRs having to adjust their speed or angle... that's a "miss". I might be being overly critical here tho as I heard nothing about how much wind there was... which any QB will tell you is a much bigger factor than rain.

How quiet a QB's feet are varies... for some, even some good ones, bouncing helps their rhythm and movement, but hopping when you land at the end of a drop or hopping to reset when you go from a middle primary to a swingpass checkdown? Bad juju there.... FIxable? Maybe, but given the near absence of him taking snaps under center, it would seem to me that he's just learned how to do it wrong... and that's troubling.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

In a scripted Pro Day with familiar receivers there should be few misses... and I'm not talking about the ball hitting the ground. Even before the rain I often saw WRs having to adjust their speed or angle... that's a "miss". I might be being overly critical here tho as I heard nothing about how much wind there was... which any QB will tell you is a much bigger factor than rain.

How quiet a QB's feet are varies... for some, even some good ones, bouncing helps their rhythm and movement, but hopping when you land at the end of a drop or hopping to reset when you go from a middle primary to a swingpass checkdown? Bad juju there.... FIxable? Maybe, but given the near absence of him taking snaps under center, it would seem to me that he's just learned how to do it wrong... and that's troubling.

Sounds like a boxer shuffling his feet in the pocket. 

Archived