THE BROWNS BOARD

Darnold at #1?

Babernakle

6 hours ago, strglzer said:

I like the idea of a trade with the bills, I take both 1st's, there top 2nd. and a 1st next year, thats what I want, look at what the jets gave up to move 3 spots, then I trade one of my lower 2nd's for a next year 1st. go into next year with 3 first, plus im loaded this year. as for the QB's it seams like 3 are in play, with the 4th. being an out side chance. I really like Allen, but most of the so called experts say it's Darnold, I can be happy with that.... For the love of god...Please I.m begging.....pick the right one......

If this is any indication... but let's see who shows up at Allen's pro day- that to my mind will be the clincher...  

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/sam_darnold_pro_day.html#incart_big-photo

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Wind up? What about the feet? The things he's been trying to change...

And this is me trying to resolve myself to us taking Darnold at #1...

It will be OK Tour.  It could be Allen instead- and I really hope we don't go down THAT road. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

It will be OK Tour.  It could be Allen instead- and I really hope we don't go down THAT road. 

I can't remember who said it, but they thought that the pick will be either Darnold or Allen based on the fact that the Browns used a 3rd rounder on Tyrod Taylor to be a bridge QB. He thought that the Browns probably wouldn't have sacrificed such a high pick if they were planning to take Rosen or Mayfield, who could very well start from the first game.

The more I've thought about it, the theory makes a lot of sense.  

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I can't remember who said it, but they thought that the pick will be either Darnold or Allen based on the fact that the Browns used a 3rd rounder on Tyrod Taylor to be a bridge QB. He thought that the Browns probably wouldn't have sacrificed such a high pick if they were planning to take Rosen or Mayfield, who could very well start from the first game.

The more I've thought about it, the theory makes a lot of sense.  

Might have been Doug Gottlieb or Bucky Brooks...  Allen is far more of a project, and a way bigger risk. Regarding Josh- you have to look past the rocket launcher arm, and honestly ask yourself is he just a flamethrower (and we know dozens of those guys flopped in the NFL)? Or a guy who can overcome those accuracy issues, and develop into a legit NFL QB?  

Just now, hoorta said:

Might have been Doug Gottlieb or Bucky Brooks...  Allen is far more of a project, and a way bigger risk. Regarding Josh- you have to look past the rocket launcher arm, and honestly ask yourself is he just a flamethrower (and we know dozens of those guys flopped in the NFL)? Or a guy who can overcome those accuracy issues, and develop into a legit NFL QB?  

No it was a poster on here... (LondonBrown maybe?) 

I can't stress how pissed off I would be if the Browns take Allen. 

As probably the only guy on this forum who has seen every single snap of both Darnold and Rosen and likes both of them, I'll crudely sum it up as this:

You want a guy to teach a QB clinic on what a prototypical QB's mechanics should look like.....  Rosen's your dude.

You want a guy who makes accurate, on time throws from all over the field while looking a bit awkward..... Darnold's the pick. 

You want a guy who looks like he's into the game 100% of the time no matter the score..... Darnold.

You want a guy who sometimes looks like he would rather be anywhere but where he is no matter the score..... Rosen. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....... 

He solidified it today. Haslam, Dorsey, Hue, Haley and Zampese all had dinner with him last night. Then he performed well at his pro day in the rain.

Jimmy sat in the stands with Darnold’s parents. All media outlets are reporting that other teams have told them it’s a lock, Darnold to the Browns at 1.

Goodell will keep the Browns quiet to build up hype and intrigue for the draft.. but guys, Darnold is the pick. 

Were going to get our #1 rated QB and our BPA at 4. Good times in Cleveland

16 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

He solidified it today. Haslam, Dorsey, Hue, Haley and Zampese all had dinner with him last night. Then he performed well at his pro day in the rain.

Jimmy sat in the stands with Darnold’s parents. All media outlets are reporting that other teams have told them it’s a lock, Darnold to the Browns at 1.

Goodell will keep the Browns quiet to build up hype and intrigue for the draft.. but guys, Darnold is the pick. 

Were going to get our #1 rated QB and our BPA at 4. Good times in Cleveland

LOL, but Po will be SO upset...   I wouldn't say it's carved in stone yet- but I doubt Vegas would give you very good odds about Sam vs the field now.  :) There's still Allen's pro day to attend (who shows up will be telling). Plus there's the private workouts. That we didn't give that kind of love to Mayfield, Rosen, and Barkley's respective pro days speaks volumes which direction we're headed.  

8 minutes ago, crstphr2 said:

It is a shame.  Dude's a turnover machine.

But maybe they'll coach it out of him.

Ball security is easier to teach than accuracy. Sam has said- he's working on it. Hold the ball with both hands until you're ready to let it rip, and be more aware you can't hold the ball like a loaf of bread when you scramble. Sure, worse interception ratio than Mayfield- but then again, so do all the other QB prospects. Baker stands alone if that's the only stat you're taking into consideration....  

3 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Draft Darnold with #1. Giants and Jets will take QBs at #2 & 3 (why would the Jets spend all that draft capital to move up, just to draft a RB?), then draft Barkley at #4 and you call it a day and job well done on the first day. This isn't rocket science.

Chubb or Fitzpatrick at 4 and then call it a day.  We already have a RB.  And another one can be drafted in round 2 and be just as productive as history shows.

12 minutes ago, hoorta said:

LOL, but Po will be SO upset...   I wouldn't say it's carved in stone yet- but I doubt Vegas would give you very good odds about Sam vs the field now.  :) There's still Allen's pro day to attend (who shows up will be telling). Plus there's the private workouts. That we didn't give that kind of love to Mayfield, Rosen, and Barkley's respective pro days speaks volumes which direction we're headed.  

I’m sure Josh Allen will have the best pro day in history and everyone will drool. But his pro day won’t match the tape. Sure, he looks good in shorts, but in the game? I just think he’s way too inconsistent for #1 overall.

As for Po, I don’t think he’ll care if it’s at 1 or 4. But I don’t see Dorsey taking a RB at 4

I'll go on record and say that I'll be happy if the Browns take either SoCal QB at #1, and will be extremely disappointed if they take any other QB - much less a RB.

With that being said, which SoCal QB would I select if I were building my team...... 

Darnold 

7 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

I’m sure Josh Allen will have the best pro day in history and everyone will drool. But his pro day won’t match the tape. Sure, he looks good in shorts, but in the game? I just think he’s way too inconsistent for #1 overall.

As for Po, I don’t think he’ll care if it’s at 1 or 4. But I don’t see Dorsey taking a RB at 4

That's my issue with Allen. Everyone at the combine went ga-ga when he uncorked that effortless 70 yard bomb. How often would you be able to do that in an NFL game? Almost never? And reports are he can toss it 90 if he puts some effort into it. Just what a team needs when you need a Hail Mary- from your own 25 yard line.....   

LOL, the air's a lot thinner @ 7,000' in Laramie. Maybe he can try for 100.  :)  

27 minutes ago, alporcini said:

Zom- good job of photoshop. I'm curious how long it took you?

Took me less than 10 seconds to download somebody else's  handywork.

Zombo

--Looks sharp though, no?

2 hours ago, Mark O said:

Chubb or Fitzpatrick at 4 and then call it a day.  We already have a RB.  And another one can be drafted in round 2 and be just as productive as history shows.

Not sure that the Crow, who isn't that good anyway, isn't going to hold us up. And Barkley really might be the best of a good long time. Elite running back really would be nice to have.

WSS

Well, after watching Darnold's pro day...twice, I think:

1. Darnold rocked it, in the rain. He has quick feet in the pocket to evade the rush and extend plays, throws on the run beautifully, fluidly - keeps his eyes downfield, has a real, real good arm, has worked on his ball security, and throws a beautiful catchable ball, that still doesn't float - still *gets there*....and in his interview afterwards - he's the real deal - the kind of guy you can make a franchise qb of your team and never worry that you made a mistake.

2. I don't know how Josh Allen tops that in his pro day.

3. Allen will have to show a lot of touch on his passes, excellent footwork, be as accurate...and at best, maybe he ties Darnold's pro day. Advantage - Darnold I think. That is not including the obvious arm strength advantage.

4. At best - Allen can show all Darnold showed, and also show it further downfield with more zIp on the ball....and he could make it a tougher choice for the Browns.

5. So, It could come down to how much both impress with their football IQ, how fast they can learn basic parts of sample offenses from other coaches, etc.

6. We'll see after Allen's pro day, how it goes - but could very well be that Darnold will get picked #1. If Allen rocks his pro day too, good luck to the Browns to pick the perfect fit qb first overall.

6 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Rosen is far bigger and more athletic than people seem to think   I think he was 226 at the combine. His legs look big,  he should be able to add some upper body strength.  He's only 21.  

True, but he's also the Wes Welker of QBs; he's taken alot of shots to the dome, so concussions are a worry for me.

11 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Draft Darnold with #1. Giants and Jets will take QBs at #2 & 3 (why would the Jets spend all that draft capital to move up, just to draft a RB?), then draft Barkley at #4 and you call it a day and job well done on the first day. This isn't rocket science.

Exactly.

Stop trying to outsmart ourselves, and make picks, not trades.

Well I just hope they put their heads together and guess correctly. It still seems to me that the consensus is that Rosen is more ready to play in the NFL that the other three. Of course it also seems like a pretty tight race and if he really is reluctant to play for the Browns that might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I almost always have a clear front runner what it comes to quarterback selection and now that we sit on the top of the pile it's not that clear.

WSS

18 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Well I just hope they put their heads together and guess correctly. It still seems to me that the consensus is that Rosen is more ready to play in the NFL that the other three. Of course it also seems like a pretty tight race and if he really is reluctant to play for the Browns that might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I almost always have a clear front runner what it comes to quarterback selection and now that we sit on the top of the pile it's not that clear.

WSS

Agreed. We'll know in 5 weeks!

Mike

Archived