THE BROWNS BOARD

Darnold at #1?

Babernakle

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Since I believe in Tyrod so much, and I think our coaches do too, I COULD see us drafting the QB who might have the upside, but would take the most time to develop. I could see it, but I don't AGREE with it. For me, the QB position comes down to accuracy and confidence. Accuracy seems to be the one thing a guy has or he does not. It's not generally something a guy learns as he sits. Can you put the ball where you want it, and do you have the huevos to pull the trigger? Nothing I've seen of Josh Allen tells me he can be the guy. I don't care HOW far he can throw it. Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, and Sam Darnold....in that order.  

I think Tyrod was a smart acquisition, but I'm not giddy. He's in the final year of the deal we acquired with him... I doubt we'll extend/resign him.

If we draft a QB that needs to sit more than half a season, then we drafted the wrong guy. That's plenty of time to get play-calling down and a rook's 5/7-step drops from under Center down pat. What's left to learn, audibles, post snap reads, progressions, etc., requires a #1's reps and playing.

Aaron Rodgers? There's no indication that he needed to sit one-year let alone three.

Speaking of Rodgers... I've used him to develop a new QB prospect measure... The EYE Test.

New thread coming up....

Interesting on Rodgers though, I saw the 2005 nfl draft documentary recently on NFL network that discussed his drop. There are definitely the "I told you so"  guys on the show, but they also talked to Mayock and Kiper about it at the time and I must have forgotten, but there were major concerns about him coming out. Nobody thought he would become the superstar qb that he has turned into. Most agreed that Alex Smith was hands down the #1 guy and the right pick by the niners. 

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203116571.html

Guys.. Don’t Worry. The Josh Allen talk is smokescreen. Like I said, Darnold is the pick

All this Josh Allen talk is a smokescreen by Dorsey and Co. to keep the value of pick #4 sky high.

If we came out and said “Hey, We’re taking Darnold at 1” then any team interested in trading up for Allen at 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield are going 1,2,3) would have a month’s time to formulate a package and we’d also be losing leverage.

But, sending out a smokescreen that we haven’t decided on a Darnold or Allen? We keep teams guessing all the way up until we’re on the clock at 1. After we take Darnold, now any team who wants Allen at 4 has 20-30 minutes to rush to make a trade with us, which puts them in a much more desperate situation and we could get much more if we wanted to trade that pick.

Look who’s leaking the stuff that we’re interested in Allen. It’s Peter King, Dorsey’s friend. King is helping out his buddy by creating confusion. 

Darnold is the pick guys

I do believe it's Darnold, if I were to bet on it.

But Allen isn't bust material. Busts happen mostly because of their intangibles. They were trying to teach kizer to see the field.

can't do it.

Allen does. Me, I'd pick Allen. But I think the Browns will go Darnold. I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.

lol.

Wrong. Allen, Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield have the intangibles and nobody doubts it. Rosen's intangibles seem to match up with Leaf's as leaf himself talks about why he failed back in the day.

I love Josh Allen, down home on the farm, all American boy, big, strong, smart, dedicated, and willing to go through walls to succeed.  I can't remember any QB I liked more in any draft.  I just wish he doesn't get drafted by some team I hate or don't care for at all, like Bills, Jets Giants, or especially the Steelers.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.

Your mind is going fast... must be the strain.

There were reports from the Combine that he bombed. Others said he did fine... which I also reported. You could put all the folks reporting in a line up and I could not tell you who was who.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I do believe it's Darnold, if I were to bet on it.

But Allen isn't bust material. Busts happen mostly because of their intangibles. They were trying to teach kizer to see the field.

can't do it.

Allen does. Me, I'd pick Allen. But I think the Browns will go Darnold. I remember Tour "having a friend" who said Allen didn't do well on the whiteboard.

lol.

Wrong. Allen, Darnold, Rudolph, Mayfield have the intangibles and nobody doubts it. Rosen's intangibles seem to match up with Leaf's as leaf himself talks about why he failed back in the day.

Again, if you're willing to be a chaunce about how much of a lock you're calling Allen's future success - I've offered you a friendly bet upon it.  

Either put up or shut up.  You won't see me go to bat over a player I don't think will produce. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Again, if you're willing to be a chaunce about how much of a lock you're calling Allen's future success - I've offered you a friendly bet upon it.  

Either put up or shut up.  You won't see me go to bat over a player I don't think will produce. 

Rosen will smoke Allen's production in the NFL. 

I've also heard from NFL Network that Darnold was the QB who seemed fine with sitting a year or so, and I think that plays well into our strategy. How would a guy like Baker Mayfield handle that? Now I don't think he'd be a distraction or a malcontent, but it's nice to draft a guy like Darnold who is realistic about where his abilities currently are at and that he understands it might be better to sit for a while.

This isn't to say that I still don't want Mayfield, but it's a fair point. Everywhere Baker went he earned the starting gig. No minor feat, either. I love so many things about Baker and I actually DO believe he's exactly what we need. Do you guys remember when Drew Brees came out of college and what the biggest knock was against him? It was that he couldn't throw over 15 yards. Remember that? Brees was extremely accurate and deadly on the shorter stuff, but he couldn't push it down the field. Well, it's safe to say THAT was bogus. I mention this because I see A LOT of Brees in Baker Mayfield, and while they have VERY different personalities and different shortcomings to their game, I see similarities. The accuracy, the drive, the size, and someone who has beaten the odds for years to continuously prove people wrong. I think there's a reason we haven't heard too much about the Browns being linked to Baker. Sure there's the story about our scout saying Baker was his favorite, and even some stuff from Dorsey saying he really liked him, but there really hasn't been much Baker Mayfield to Cleveland rumor speak going on lately. Perhaps that's because we're lulling people to sleep in another smokescreen and we really DO like him? I certainly hope so. I'm way more sold on Baker than I am Darnold, but I've at least gotten to the point where I see the potential in Darnold and wouldn't be angry if he's the guy. I just can't shake the feeling that Baker's uber competitive personality simply won't LET HIM fail, and he's the type of person that is going to work his 6 ft butt off to learn every single nuance of the NFL game. From where he came from and that Air Raid style, he's got a TON to learn, but I see him diving into the playbook 24/7 and putting in the work like no other. 

We are going to have some really excellent players available to us in that top 50 and I have we have sense enough to use some of the later round picks to trade even further up in the draft, especially up from the 2nd to 1st round for a top end RB. So may will be there from #20 on down. We could take our pick excluding Mr. Hype from PSU. Even DJ is falling for it.

10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

No Orlando Brown in the top 50. Man, he was considered a first round talent before that awful Combine perfomance. Tape is always more important than the shirt and short Olympics, but with such a sh!tshow you can destroy your career...

Jr's tape was not that good... OU's offense was very OL friendly.

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

We are going to have some really excellent players available to us in that top 50 and I have we have sense enough to use some of the later round picks to trade even further up in the draft, especially up from the 2nd to 1st round for a top end RB. So may will be there from #20 on down. We could take our pick excluding Mr. Hype from PSU. Even DJ is falling for it.

I don't think it's hype to have Barky near the top of your players grades, and if you have to make one of the top group your #1 guy, then Bark's as good a choice as any. He's in my top player grouping (I don't bother trying to order them within groups; I think it's a waste of time). From the groups I pluck prospects straight to my Big Board bringing in other factors.

As with most folks I love some of DJ's takes on prospects... others not so much. Shockingly the love or lack of it is entirely based upon whether I agree with his take. :O

22 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Your mind is going fast... must be the strain.

There were reports from the Combine that he bombed. Others said he did fine... which I also reported. You could put all the folks reporting in a line up and I could not tell you who was who.

Sam Darnold signed some Browns helmets (unless they’re fake)

8C740E56-90FD-48E9-9DB7-E59E19547FE8.jpeg

A81F79FF-5199-4E23-BCE7-528A4004688C.jpeg

B86F3F42-09D1-4213-815F-2AC7E50674A0.jpeg

• Zombo pinned and unpinned this topic
19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Jr's tape was not that good... OU's offense was very OL friendly.

I don't think it's hype to have Barky near the top of your players grades, and if you have to make one of the top group your #1 guy, then Bark's as good a choice as any. He's in my top player grouping (I don't bother trying to order them within groups; I think it's a waste of time). From the groups I pluck prospects straight to my Big Board bringing in other factors.

As with most folks I love some of DJ's takes on prospects... others not so much. Shockingly the love or lack of it is entirely based upon whether I agree with his take. :o

You see where the Browns were "very impressed" with Josh Rosen?  It's certainly no surprise, as me and you definitely expected him to be sharp intellectually and of course the golden arm.  Again, I'd be COMPLETELY happy if we drafted him, but I don't know if he's the type of QB Hue Jackson wants in Cleveland.  If Tyrod Taylor's arrival is any indication, I'd say we want somebody a bit more athletic than Josh.  This isn't to say Josh can't move AT ALL, but he's not the athlete Darnold, Mayfield, and Allen are either.  I really believe Hue Jackson loves the read-option, maybe not like EVERY PLAY, but he definitely likes to run variations of it throughout the game, and I don't know if Rosen can really perform in that role.  Now, I also don't believe Hue loves the read-option SO much that he'd draft Lamar Jackson #1 overall (like some silly article said yesterday), but I could see us taking Lamar Jackson as a SECOND QB if he should fall.  

• Zombo locked this topic

Archived