THE BROWNS BOARD

Exactly when did "everyone" here climb onto the Chubb train? And why?

Tour2ma

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Since the Giants had almost as large a contingent at Darnold's pro day as the Browns- I'll take it as a sign they're at least seriously considering a QB at #2.  

Pretty sure that's what I said... ;)

But have to remember... Sam may have been the star attraction, but it was not his Pro day... it was USC's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anybody posted this write up about Chubb, but I like reading breakdowns, so I thought I'd share. 

Strengths

Looks the part. Long-limbed with broad chest, built shoulders and thick legs. Good combination of size and athleticism. Sets and holds the edge with wide base. Major disruptor who can get into gaps and drive up the field to take it off schedule. Fights back against wash down blocks. Relentless and rabid in approach. Plays on bouncy feet. Range to constrict backside lanes and chase play side. Doesn't quit on plays and makes tackles downfield. Runs feet through contact and is a frame-on-frame tackler. Actively searches to strip the ball. Has experience standing. Able to drop, open hips and roam in coverage. Good body control. Faced quality tackle competition. Mature rush approach. Has improved at his craft. Stab move can ruin a tackle's pass set. Hands are quick, talented and violent. Able to pummel the punch and dull the edge. Runs the rush arc with acceleration around the corner. Absolute terror on twists. Grinds through inside edge of a tackle.

Weaknesses

Needs to time up hand swipes and initial hand usage earlier. Athletic tackles set into him before he gets rush momentum going. Not a natural hip-flipper. Plays top-heavy at times. Needs to play under control. Better knee bend would improve conversion of speed to power. Gets overly involved with initial contact and will lose sight of ball carriers. Needs to improve feel for down blocks and attack them earlier. Gets behind in the rep against reach blocks. Balance though contact is inconsistent due to pad level. Can improve shed timing at point of attack.

Draft Projection

Round 1

NFL Comparison

Chris Long

Bottom Line

Chubb possesses high-end physical traits, years of production and the ability to play in a variety of positions in both odd and even fronts. Chubb returned to school last year and turned areas of improvement into areas of strength. His motor and athletic ability cause him to jump off the tape snap after snap and his play attributes and production should translate quickly as a pro. Chubb should be an early pick, early starter and multi-time Pro Bowler.

On 3/18/2018 at 7:29 PM, Orion said:

Today's NFL is Pass & Rush the Passer.  

If he's the best pass rusher in the draft then at 4 pair him with Myles...as Myles could use the help.  (ability to rush the passer is huge for a team)

The 'Pass' part is more than just the QB...but it certainly STARTS with the QB.  (pick #1)  There needs to be receivers that know how to run routes and get separation. (and catch the damn ball)  You have to be able to block people to give TIME to pass and room for your RB's to help out the offense.

Best QB in the draft at #1 and best Pass Rusher in the draft at #4.  Wow.  The 2 most critical parts of the game...in 45 minutes.  

Chubb is continually investing in ways to support profitable growth with our independent agents and brokers. As a market leader, we understand the growth opportunity in the middle market space, and are committed to working with you to help clients craft the protection they need. ........oooops wrong Chubb -BUT-

I still think what the BROWNS are in overall team building in 2018 not just a specific player so getting bookend pass rushers shouldn't be missed here.

#1 get the new rookie quarterback I guess to quiet the masses. (but I'd prefer BPA on defense at #1 and 4, project rookie quarterback later, work on additional quarterback plans in 2019, this is NO one year fix)

#4 best available pass rusher to pair with Garrett, but will Fitz slip in here? 

Barkley is out unless they totally forget this is still a young team coming off of a 1-31 record. 

They still have good top 100 picks for the future RB position and others.

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Not a natural hip-flipper. Plays top-heavy at times.

There's my agility, 3-cone concern.

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

There's my agility, 3-cone concern.

Yep, and therefore not the same kind of transcendent talent Myles Garrett was projected as. That being said, Chubb is also rated (by me anyway, lol) as a better run-stopping pass rusher, so while he's not quite the elite athlete Garrett is, you're still getting tremendous value from Chubb because he's not a liability on any down. Chubb is a grown man, btw. Very solid build, wide chest, heavy hands, thick in the legs. He's also a bit older than some others coming out, and he's had a chance to mature, both physically and emotionally. The bottom line for us is that we have a chance to get the best QB and the best pass rusher in the draft. When does THAT ever happen? Arguably the two most important positions in football, and we could get our pick at BOTH. I think it's important to remember that we were towards the bottom of the league in sacking the QB, even with the constant and aggressive blitzing from all over the place. Many of us fans recognize that our blitzing absolutely killed us too many times, and it was predictable and left us vulnerable. While we didn't give up a ton of "over the top" plays, we consistently gave up easy completions on 3rd down because our DBs played "off" too much or because we sent additional pass rushers on blitzes. To me, the key is getting consistent QB pressure with your front 4. Just watch Jacksonville and Minnesota last year...THAT'S how you do it, and THAT'S what I desperately want for us. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

you're still getting tremendous value from Player X because he's not a liability on any down. 

As was, and is, Ogbah.

The issue to me is that asserting an UPGRADE from ogbah to chubb is tenuous at best.  Spend the 4th overall pick in the draft on somebody.. and it's fairly reasonable to expect him to be an immediate improvement over the guy he'd replace in the starting lineup.  Ogbah was near the top in the league last year in runstop for edge.. Football Outsiders wouldn't call him freakishly athletic for nothing.

We have too many needs to be picking somebody who's not discernably more talented than someone already on our roster.  Conveniently, our needs at DB arrive when there's DB talent in Minkah and Derwin and possibly Ward/Jackson if they can manage a trade down.

17 hours ago, LaDexter said:

Chubb should have received a top 10 grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board last year.  Instead, he received a second round grade...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/nfl-draft-advisory-board-screws-nc-state-de-bradley-chubb.561292/

That was my take a year ago.  Thank goodness Bradley didn't get seriously injured and lose out on all he deserves as the best player the last two drafts...

US Message Board? That's a new one to me.  And the NFL draft advisory board from a year ago is just that.....advisory. 

NFL Draft Advisory Board screws NC State DE Bradley Chubb

Discussion in 'Sports' started by LaDexter, Jan 8, 2017.

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

... and the best pass rusher in the draft.

Is that true? PFF for one disagrees. Analytics fiends do, too.

Even if it is true, it's a relative superlative in an Edge class that is not highly regarded.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Even if it is true, it's a relative superlative in an Edge class that is not highly regarded.

Corey Coleman was PFF's #1 rated receiver for the 2016 draft. My use of their models begins and ends at the NFL level. 

To answer a question above, I believe Chubb represents an upgrade over Ogbah. 

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Now according to ghoolie we can get that rusher late in the draft.  LOLOLOLOL!:lol:

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

To answer a question above, I believe Chubb represents an upgrade over Ogbah. 

slight upgrade maybe,but I liked Ogbah coming out of school..there both 6'4.Ogbah was 273 at combine,Chubb 269.Ogbah inch & half longer arms at 35.5">34"..Ogbah's 40 was 4.63 vs Chubb's 4.65 but Ogbah's 10 yard split shows more explosion index with O's at 1.58 vs.Chubb at 1.63..Tours point of 3 cone leaves Ogbah ahead again at 7.26 vs. Chubb 7.37..these numbers lead me to Denzel Ward,James or Mikah as a larger roster talent gap need..but Chubb leaves me confused.. cause on gametape vs. Ogbah now, Chubb looks to have better ceiling of techniques/moves to get to the QB..the man is strong as a ox  

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Now according to ghoolie we can get that rusher late in the draft.  LOLOLOLOL!:lol:

Actually there are a couple situational kids who I will gladly tell you about after I draft them in our mock... ;)

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

slight upgrade maybe,but I liked Ogbah coming out of school..there both 6'4.Ogbah was 273 at combine,Chubb 269.Ogbah inch & half longer arms at 35.5">34"..Ogbah's 40 was 4.63 vs Chubb's 4.65 but Ogbah's 10 yard split shows more explosion index with O's at 1.58 vs.Chubb at 1.63..Tours point of 3 cone leaves Ogbah ahead again at 7.26 vs. Chubb 7.37..these numbers lead me to Denzel Ward,James or Mikah as a larger roster talent gap need..but Chubb leaves me confused.. cause on gametape vs. Ogbah now, Chubb looks to have better ceiling of techniques/moves to get to the QB..the man is strong as a ox  

Chubb is faster than Bosa,  and was almost as fast as myles. 

He just looks like he's all over the field causing disruption. Our defensive line would be dominant with. Chubb,  Garrett, ogunjobi,  ogbah... Brantley &  Coley are promising.  I'm sick of seeing zero pressure unless myles and ogbah were  in the game together. That changes with another superstar and some development from the 2nd year guys. 

21 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

As was, and is, Ogbah.

The issue to me is that asserting an UPGRADE from ogbah to chubb is tenuous at best.  Spend the 4th overall pick in the draft on somebody.. and it's fairly reasonable to expect him to be an immediate improvement over the guy he'd replace in the starting lineup.  Ogbah was near the top in the league last year in runstop for edge.. Football Outsiders wouldn't call him freakishly athletic for nothing.

We have too many needs to be picking somebody who's not discernably more talented than someone already on our roster.  Conveniently, our needs at DB arrive when there's DB talent in Minkah and Derwin and possibly Ward/Jackson if they can manage a trade down.

I can see that angle too. I think the one thing I would say is that both Garrett and Ogbah suffered through injury plagued seasons, so adding a player who could possibly provide stellar depth and give us the flexibility to create unique and oppressive pass rushing formations is a tantalizing thought. Still, I would have ZERO qualms about taking Minkah Fitzpatrick, someone I've been high on forever. 

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think it's true. Now, there might be someone who is purely better at ONLY getting to the QB, but nobody can (in my mind) rush the passer, set the edge, and lineup in multiple places on the DL like Chubb can. Lots of value there. 

On 4/4/2018 at 5:38 AM, jiggins7919 said:

I think it's true. Now, there might be someone who is purely better at ONLY getting to the QB, but nobody can (in my mind) rush the passer, set the edge, and lineup in multiple places on the DL like Chubb can. Lots of value there. 

And we saw that Garrett can do the same as they often moved him either into a DT position or occasionally to LDE.

I think next season we can get the bookend DE with our first-round pick.. we don't need to take Chubb with this one.

The 2019 NFL draft will have Houston's Ed Oliver, Alabama's Raekwon Davis, Michigan's Rashan Gary, Clemson's entire defensive line, and OSU's Bosa.. and each of those are individually more dominant than Chubb.

13 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I think next season we can get the bookend DE with our first-round pick.. we don't need to take Chubb with this one.

The 2019 NFL draft will have Houston's Ed Oliver, Alabama's Raekwon Davis, Michigan's Rashan Gary, Clemson's entire defensive line, and OSU's Bosa.. and each of those are individually more dominant than Chubb.

Are they?  Says who?   And if not Chubb, then who? Not All Bark and No Bite.

Archived