THE BROWNS BOARD

From nobody to the top of the first round of the draft - Josh Allen

calfoxwc

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Watched the NFLN coverage of Allen's work out. Here's my take... first the good.

And now the rest...

• There were throws within the above criteria that were simply off the mark... high... wrong side... low... and in slo-mo looks there was no obvious reason for the miss.
  • Ask for touch and it's not there... and matters not if it's a swingpass to a RB or a 60-yd bomb.
  • Those final few throws were an absolute joke... no QB needs to be able to throw punts.

Bottom Line: Allen looks to have to "think" about any throw that is not a fastball in rhythm. Mayock says his sources said the kid's a thinker. Other reports I've read... not so much.

I really lost a lot of respect for Mayock today. I would not have been nearly as diplomatic as Bucky Brooks was in the phrasing of his WTF-ish questions for Mike. But at least Mike did not list us among the teams that were a good landing spot for Allen.

Is Mayock taking over for Gruden who never had a bad thing to say about a guy in his Quarterback Camp? 

To your bulleted points:

You noticed it, Tia noticed it, I noticed it. It wasn't as bad as some of his game tape- but some of those throws were indeed unacceptably inaccurate. 

Did they have Josh try some endzone fades to the corner? If they did, they were way too flat, no touch, and looked like duplicates of  Kizer's attempts at the same. 

Yes. A qb (with good protection) has what? 4 seconds or so to throw? a fast wr can cover 40 yards in the same time if he's not pressed at the line. So what if Josh can heave 'em 70+ yards. He should have really shown off- and as I've said elsewhere- show 'em he can throw a Hail Mary from his own 25.  :)  

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threw some dime at his Pro Day...

Seems like a good kid. 

On 3/23/2018 at 7:49 PM, Mark O said:

He's a pussy for throwing indoors.    If he wanted to impress he should've been outside throwing since last I checked, every team in the top of the draft is a cold weather team that plays outdoors.

Shmuck him.

I hear ya.  They're pushing this guy up the charts and down our esophagus because how of he looks without any defenders on the field indoors.  Because as all of the QBs on the t-shirt can tell us - playing QB in Cleveland is eggs-actly like this.

Keep in mind, when he DID play against defenses - he didn't play against all the corners and pass rushers with the best football scholarships.  That being the case, he should have posted monster numbers if he's the answer to all our prayers. Didn't happen.  Like Baker hints - how about COUNTING film more than a make believe football scenario.

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

I hear ya.  They're pushing this guy up the charts and down our esophagus because how of he looks without any defenders on the field indoors.  Because as all of the QBs on the t-shirt can tell us - playing QB in Cleveland is eggs-actly like this.

Keep in mind, when he DID play against defenses - he didn't play against all the corners and pass rushers with the best football scholarships.  That being the case, he should have posted monster numbers if he's the answer to all our prayers. Didn't happen.  Like Baker hints - how about COUNTING film more than a make believe football scenario.

Like I said- this isn't a beauty pageant. Sure, Allen checks all the boxes on height, weight, hand size, arm strength. Good personality from the interviews. Accuracy? Touch? Not so much. Throws a great Derek Anderson fastball, when he can set his feet. 

PS: Was mucking around YouTube and saw a blurb from Jim Donovan's local TV show. His take hanging around the Browns facility is they were going out to LA just as a confirmation of what they already knew, Darnold was going to be their guy. Got a feeling after they had dinner with him, Haslam hanging out with Mom & Dad, and the workout- it's what we heard from other teams scouts- Darnold to the Browns is essentially a done deal. 

Could be that last year 0-16 and "Suck for Sam" is going to become a reality. 

lol... Ryan McCrystal been pumping out Allen incredulity at a steady pace.

Here's the link to his book on allen...

And from the "with friends like these files"....

Jordan ZirmVerified account @clevezirm

Mel Kiper, just now, on a conference call talking about Josh Allen: "Completion percentage doesn't matter anymore."

12:48 PM - 28 Mar 2018

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And from the "with friends like these files"....

Jordan ZirmVerified account @clevezirm

Mel Kiper, just now, on a conference call talking about Josh Allen: "Completion percentage doesn't matter anymore."

12:48 PM - 28 Mar 2018

So who's paying him to pimp Allen then?

15 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... Ryan McCrystal been pumping out Allen incredulity at a steady pace.

Here's the link to his book on allen...

He should be drafted on day three on that evidence

15 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

He should be drafted on day three on that evidence

I had to quit about halfway through it. He had one pass where he avoids the rush, moves up into the pocket, and makes the most hideous side armed toss downfield that isn't in the same zip code of the receiver (I think?) he was throwing to. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything at that moment. 

Well... the Wonderlic numbers are in and I was wrong...

Lee BensonVerified account @LeeBensonNews9

On his latest podcast, former NFL scout @JohnMiddlekauff revealed the Wonderlic scores for some of the big time QBs:

• Josh Allen 37
  • Josh Rosen 29
  • Sam Darnold 28
  • Baker Mayfield 25
  • Lamar Jackson 13

Is there a recount procedure?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Well... the Wonderlic numbers are in and I was wrong...

On his latest podcast, former NFL scout @JohnMiddlekauff revealed the Wonderlic scores for some of the big time QBs:

• Josh Allen 37
  • Josh Rosen 29
  • Sam Darnold 28
  • Baker Mayfield 25
  • Lamar Jackson 13

Is there a recount procedure?

I've looked up and the average mark is 24 for QBs. Average for the most clever guys on the field, offensive linemen, is 26. 

While other QBs' mark is good, Lamar Jackson's is very low. In the floor of the stats for Wonderlic, the janitors score an average of 14 points. Also that's a great mark for Allen.

Oh, and SB winning quaterbacks of the last decades posted an average of 30.7. Here's the list:

Eli Manning 39

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Drew Brees 28

Russell Wilson 28

Joe Flacco 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

• Josh Allen 37
  • Josh Rosen 29
  • Sam Darnold 28
  • Baker Mayfield 25
  • Lamar Jackson 13

and through it all, I keep my humility and grace. Did I mention that Carson Wentz had a 40?

Although, I did go to the Reb Tevye school of dancing....

40 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

and through it all, I keep my humility and grace.

Impossible to keep what you've never had...

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

It takes a great man to be humble.  So, ole "dumb farm boy" got a 37. LOL

I think that Josh Allen has been related to the farm world only by the broad side of a barn. And his relationship has been almost unexistant ;)

nope. His family had a farm. Read up on him. They played different sports, and he also went and worked a lot on his family's farm.

I"m sure they had barns.

lol.

that was Oregon, I guess. They, as a team, were bigly outmatched in talent.

Meanwhile:

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/football/former-wyoming-quarterback-josh-allen-earns-praise-from-nfl-combine/article_c4d5cb0b-0593-55cb-be6b-37d0340ddec1.html

Here are what some of Allen’s peers had to say about him.

Boise State linebacker Leighton Vander Esch, whose Broncos played against Allen twice: “I love Josh. I think he’s a great player. He’s super athletic, he’s a big dude, he can run. He’s good at evading pressure and getting out of situations in the pocket. He’s a hard dude to bring down, generally. You’ve gotta give it to him. He can sling the ball. He can put it pretty much wherever he wants it. You guys saw that. The dude’s impressive. He’s athletic.”

Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson, who intercepted Wyoming in the 2017 season opener: “He’s a really good quarterback, really good strong arm. And I think he’ll be able to fit well with any team in the NFL.”

Southern California quarterback Sam Darnold, who is training with Allen in San Clemente, California: “That’s awesome competing with Josh. We’ve become real good friends over the past couple months. Also Kyle Allen, who’s also training with us, has been amazing as well. It’s been really fun. Me and Josh have really enjoyed becoming closer. I’m not sure (how we compare). I think that’s up for you guys to decide, but me and Josh get along really well. It’s good to compete with each other but also hang out with each other and just get to know one another.”

Florida defensive tackle Taven Bryan, who is from Casper: “It’s awesome, I’m really happy for the dude, he had a really great season. He’s got a heck of an arm, honestly. He throws well, a really pretty ball. I’m happy for him and wish him the best of luck.”

Boise State receiver Cedrick Wilson, who caught a touchdown from Allen at the Reese’s Senior Bowl: “When I saw him throw it (in the 2016 Boise State-Wyoming game), I think he threw a comeback to the field, and I was like, ‘Oh, he’s got an arm.’ And then just knowing his background, knowing that he’s been working, it was good to see him out there playing. Obviously, they took the win. That was the sad part.”

Nebraska quarterback Tanner Lee, who competed with Allen at the Senior Bowl and roomed with him at the Combine: “He’s really cool to get to know. He’s a really nice guy. So just through this whole process, you get to be friends with a lot of guys. He’s extremely talented. He’s got a cannon of an arm. So, he’s been really fun to work with and get to know.”

Toledo quarterback Logan Woodside, who participated with Allen at the Manning Passing Academy: “He’s become a really good friend of mine. We kept in touch throughout the season, and I’m excited for him.”

Central Michigan tight end Tyler Conklin, who played against Allen in the Potato Bowl and caught a touchdown from him at the Senior Bowl: “He’s a great dude. He’s going to have a great career. He’s a one-of-a-kind talent, obviously.”

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

nope. His family had a farm. Read up on him. They played different sports, and he also went and worked a lot on his family's farm.

I"m sure they had barns.

He probably should've practiced hitting the broad side of them, then. Would've came in handy

Archived