THE BROWNS BOARD

From nobody to the top of the first round of the draft - Josh Allen

calfoxwc

4 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

(Allen FOMO Vid)

That was past of the jist on reddit... that the press was creating FOMO buzz around Allen that was leaving many FO's puzzled.

One thread went as far as accusing Todd McShay of pimping for Allen and Darnold because they are using the same agency that Todd has used. Todd then replied that he was not being rep'd by that agency. The fact then came out that the agency in question had in fact negotiated his last couple deals with ESPN and such... he simply was not using them at present.

Personally I like McShay's analyses a lot and would prefer to simply disagree with him, but now I have to wonder.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

That was past of the jist on reddit... that the press was creating FOMO buzz around Allen that was leaving many FO's puzzled.

One thread went as far as accusing Todd McShay of pimping for Allen and Darnold because they are using the same agency that Todd has used. Todd then replied that he was not being rep'd by that agency. The fact then came out that the agency in question had in fact negotiated his last couple deals with ESPN and such... he simply was not using them at present.

Personally I like McShay's analyses a lot and would prefer to simply disagree with him, but now I have to wonder.

I wouldn't doubt it.  Easy to get the uninformed riled up with the huge arm and some amazing highlights.  He looks the part... Maybe he'll be able to adapt to the NFL... But I'm not chancing a #1 pick on a guy like this.  Especially when you dive deeper into his stats. It's just not very impressive 

30 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

I wouldn't doubt it.  Easy to get the uninformed riled up with the huge arm and some amazing highlights.  He looks the part... Maybe he'll be able to adapt to the NFL... But I'm not chancing a #1 pick on a guy like this.  Especially when you dive deeper into his stats. It's just not very impressive 

It's easy to get sucked into highlight videos- we have a resident Barkley pumper who does the same. You watch entire game film- different impression. "Character" "dedication" only get you so far. Raw talent counts way more. Why me and Ag want no part of Josh. 

Allen wins the beauty pageant award hands down- but as Tour said- when he hits the broadside of a barn, he puts a hole in it.  :)  

7 hours ago, Flugel said:

I wasn't talking about Rosen Tom - I was busting Josh Allen's #1 fan's chops with the Bucky Brooks comment.  I thought Rosen looked good after his first throw.

I know. But I think they just didn't expect much from Allen and were surprised. And they expected Rosen to be perfect on every single throw and he wasn't

35 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

I know. But I think they just didn't expect much from Allen and were surprised. And they expected Rosen to be perfect on every single throw and he wasn't

There was the 80-yd bomb... can't teach that.

Some lucky team will be able to throw Hail Marys from their own 25... B)

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I've pointed that out Tour. Save end of game, you just can't do that.  Top wrs run a 4.4 40, how often do Qbs get more than 4.4 to throw the ball?  Usain probably can run 90 yards in 8 seconds.  :)  

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Exactly. I'll take the guys like Rosen or Mayfield who consistently hit deep throws in games when it mattered. The UCLA USC game solidified who I'd rather see running an NFL offense. Everyone noticed the difference between the two. I just don't think Darnold will be able to scramble around and make the hero plays in the NFL. He's just a tick faster than Rosen. It's not like he's Watson or Wilson out there. 

It is interesting that Allen gets a pass on his accuracy when people are all over Jackson for his. 

Yeah, I realize his team wasn't the best. Neither was Rosen's or Jackson's. they still put up major stats

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I've pointed that out Tour. Save end of game, you just can't do that.

I can at the end of the 1st half as well... :P

https://thepewterplank.com/2018/02/04/buccaneers-ucla-bruins-2018-nfl-draft-prospects/

UCLA 2018 DRAFT PROSPECTS

Wide Receiver, Mossi Johnson
Running Back, Nate Starks
Linebacker, Kenny Young
Offensive Lineman, Najee Toran
Wide Receiver, Alex Van Dyke
Defensive Lineman, Jacob Tuioti-Mariner
Defensive Lineman, Matt Dickerson

Wide Receiver, Darren Andrews
Offensive Lineman, Scott Quessenberry
Offensive Lineman, Gyo Shojima
Offensive Lineman, Zach Bateman
Offensive Lineman, Poasi Moala
Offensive Lineman, Kenny Lacy

UCLA Underclassmen:

Wide Receiver, Jordan Lasley

Offensive Tackle, Kolton Miller

Tight End, Austin Roberts

Quarterback, Josh Rosen

WYOMING 2018 DRAFT PROSPECTS

Josh Allen might not be the only University of Wyoming selected in this year's NFL Draft. While Allen is will likely be a first-round pick, a few of his former Pokes teammates could get drafted in the later rounds.

Ryan Cummings is projected as a 6th or 7th round selection. Scouts love the size of the 6'5', 309 lb. tackle. Cummings may also benefit from the success of former Wyoming lineman Chase Roulier, who finished last season in the starting lineup for the Washington Redskins after being drafted in the 6th round.

Cornerback Rico Gafford may squeeze into the late rounds.

Fullback Drew Van Maanen

long snapper Kolton Donovan could also hear their name called on the final day of the draft.

Cornerback Robert Priester will likely earn an invitation to training camp as an undrafted free agent.

SO, count em. UCLA, outside of Josh Rosen, has 13 NFL draft prospects on offense. Wyoming, outside of Josh Allen, has... two.So, the talent around Allen says a ton about what their stats mean. Maybe that should be a Wonderlick question:

"'If a qb has 13 NFL prospects on his team, most of them seniors, and has great stats, and another qb has only two NFL prospects that same year, and doesn't have great stats...it means:"

A. Nothing, because rosen looks sexy and sassy to us, and we wish we had a sex doll of him..and he has pretty stats.

B. A lot, it isn't all the qb's fault when he doesn't have the prettier stats. IT's A TEAM GAME.

C. No opinion - I can't tell if "13" is more than "2".

And NO, toursies and hoorta, you can't pick both "A" and "C". one answer only. Most other folks on the board will get the right answer.

The kid only completed 54% of his passes in high school. He continued to be that inaccurate in college. Allen is the common denominator. It likely explains why he didn’t get any scholarship offers. His inaccuracy throughout all of his football career can’t be excused away as someone else failing him through out.

www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=d629a44c-eff4-e211-99e4-002655e6c126&gendersport=boys,football

7 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

The kid only completed 54% of his passes in high school. He continued to be that inaccurate in college. Allen is the common denominator. It likely explains why he didn’t get any scholarship offers. His inaccuracy throughout all of his football career can’t be excused away as someone else failing him through out.

www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=d629a44c-eff4-e211-99e4-002655e6c126&gendersport=boys,football

The title should read "From nobody to the top of the first round of the draft and back to nobody after the draft--Josh Allen";)

dude - the kid was still growing in high school.

Early years

Allen grew up on a 3,000-acre (1,200 ha) farm near Firebaugh, California, a small town about 40 miles (64 km) west of Fresno[1] that is about 20 miles (32 km) from the nearest freeway.[2] His family has lived in the area since his great-grandfather, who emigrated from Sweden in 1907, settled there during the Great Depression. The farm where he was raised was established in 1975 by his paternal grandfather, who was also a longtime member of the local school board and namesake of the gymnasium of Firebaugh High School, from which Allen graduated in 2014.[1]

Growing up as a Fresno State fan who regularly attended both games and football camps, Allen tried to draw the interest of the program's coaching staff; his father tried to sell the Bulldogs' head coach at the time, Tim DeRuyter, on him, but DeRuyter chose not to offer a scholarship. DeRuyter was not alone in this assessment; Allen received no scholarship offers from any NCAA Division I program—whether in the top-level FBS or second-tier FCS. San Diego State made him an offer to walk on, but Allen turned it down because Aztecs coach Rocky Long couldn't guarantee any playing time. In a 2017 story on Allen, ESPN journalist Mark Schlabach speculated on why Allen got so little interest out of high school:[1]

At the time, Josh was about 6-foot-3 and 180 pounds. He hadn't attended the elite quarterback camps and wasn't a widely known prospect. His high school team didn't participate in many 7-on-7 camps because Josh and many of his teammates were busy playing baseball and other sports. He was the leading scorer on his basketball team and also pitched on the baseball team, reaching 90 mph with his fastball.

Yahoo! Sports writer Jeff Eisenberg added in another 2017 story,[2]

At a time when many scholarship-hungry families encourage their kids to specialize in one sport or to transfer to the school that will provide the most exposure, the Allens resisted both trends. They spurned overtures from more prominent Central Valley programs after Allen’s breakout junior season and kept him at Firebaugh, living by the family mantra that “you bloom where you’re planted.”

Not only was Allen involved in multiple sports while in high school, he also regularly worked on the family farm and at the restaurant his mother operated in Firebaugh.[2]

3 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The title should read "From nobody to the top of the first round of the draft and back to nobody after the draft--Josh Allen";)

No, you can't pick "A" and "C" either, per your question.

and, to the point about in hs, etc - also -

in the article I posted, he went to a little hs, and didn't concentrate on just one sport like some do, and never went to these football camps again and again, because they played multiple sports at the time, and he worked on their farm a lot.

Rosen bum went to them - he was rich and entitled - it shows in how much a punk he is.  Rosen is working hard to show he isn't, but anybody CAN see, a lot WON'T, that it isn't all that convincing if you look close. You want the little rich boy tennis prodigy turned football quarterback, ok. I'm fine with it. But if I'm pickin, he isn't even on my list. No heart. No leadership. etc etc.

5 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

and, to the point about in hs, etc - also -

in the article I posted, he went to a little hs, and didn't concentrate on just one sport like some do, and never went to these football camps again and again, because they played multiple sports at the time, and he worked on their farm a lot.

Rosen bum went to them - he was rich and entitled - it shows in how much a punk he is.  Rosen is working hard to show he isn't, but anybody CAN see, a lot WON'T, that it isn't all that convincing if you look close. You want the little rich boy tennis prodigy turned football quarterback, ok. I'm fine with it. But if I'm pickin, he isn't even on my list. No heart. No leadership. etc etc.

It was the hat that did you in.:rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

https://thepewterplank.com/2018/02/04/buccaneers-ucla-bruins-2018-nfl-draft-prospects/

UCLA 2018 DRAFT PROSPECTS

Wide Receiver, Mossi Johnson
Running Back, Nate Starks
Linebacker, Kenny Young
Offensive Lineman, Najee Toran
Wide Receiver, Alex Van Dyke
Defensive Lineman, Jacob Tuioti-Mariner
Defensive Lineman, Matt Dickerson

Wide Receiver, Darren Andrews
Offensive Lineman, Scott Quessenberry
Offensive Lineman, Gyo Shojima
Offensive Lineman, Zach Bateman
Offensive Lineman, Poasi Moala
Offensive Lineman, Kenny Lacy

UCLA Underclassmen:

Wide Receiver, Jordan Lasley

Offensive Tackle, Kolton Miller

Tight End, Austin Roberts

Quarterback, Josh Rosen

WYOMING 2018 DRAFT PROSPECTS

Josh Allen might not be the only University of Wyoming selected in this year's NFL Draft. While Allen is will likely be a first-round pick, a few of his former Pokes teammates could get drafted in the later rounds.

Ryan Cummings is projected as a 6th or 7th round selection. Scouts love the size of the 6'5', 309 lb. tackle. Cummings may also benefit from the success of former Wyoming lineman Chase Roulier, who finished last season in the starting lineup for the Washington Redskins after being drafted in the 6th round.

Cornerback Rico Gafford may squeeze into the late rounds.

Fullback Drew Van Maanen

long snapper Kolton Donovan could also hear their name called on the final day of the draft.

Cornerback Robert Priester will likely earn an invitation to training camp as an undrafted free agent.

SO, count em. UCLA, outside of Josh Rosen, has 13 NFL draft prospects on offense. Wyoming, outside of Josh Allen, has... two.So, the talent around Allen says a ton about what their stats mean. Maybe that should be a Wonderlick question:

"'If a qb has 13 NFL prospects on his team, most of them seniors, and has great stats, and another qb has only two NFL prospects that same year, and doesn't have great stats...it means:"

A. Nothing, because rosen looks sexy and sassy to us, and we wish we had a sex doll of him..and he has pretty stats.

B. A lot, it isn't all the qb's fault when he doesn't have the prettier stats. IT's A TEAM GAME.

C. No opinion - I can't tell if "13" is more than "2".

And NO, toursies and hoorta, you can't pick both "A" and "C". one answer only. Most other folks on the board will get the right answer.

What fantasy world do you live in where ucla has 13 players in the 2018  NFL draft? Good luck with that.

They're not Ohio State. They have 6 or 7 guys tops.  They were all at the pro day. 

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

So it is conceivable that Allen hurt Wyoming's ability to recruit?

the point is, compare that to the list of players for Wyoming. Regardless of where they get drafted, there was only two for Wyoming.

Playing with a bunch of seniors helps immensely. Allen didn't have that. That's just facts. How much it means is

subjective - but it can't be denied that rosenbum had a far, far better cast.

That a LOT more players available to the draft than Wyoming. It is what it is.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

So it is conceivable that Allen hurt Wyoming's ability to recruit?

You aren't that dense. I mean, come on, man. :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

the point is, compare that to the list of players for Wyoming. Regardless of where they get drafted, there was only two for Wyoming.

Playing with a bunch of seniors helps immensely. Allen didn't have that. That's just facts. How much it means is

subjective - but it can't be denied that rosenbum had a far, far better cast.

That a LOT more players available to the draft than Wyoming. It is what it is.

UCLA played against better teams too.  

This post I pulled from elsewhere nails the red flags.  

Screenshot_20180315-224830.png

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

If ANY of the UCLA skill position players and the bulk of the lineman go before the 5/6th round, I'll be Shmucking shocked.  

Miller and Rosen are the standouts. Lasley is a playmaker, but with drop issues and off field issues (suspended multiple games this yr), he's prob 4th or 5th rd pick

wait - anderson went to oregon state and kizer went to ND.

A whole different cast of talent around them, compared to the competition they faced.

What blue chip hs stars from around the country go to little places like Wyoming?

10 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Miller and Rosen are the standouts.

Kolton Miller measures great, but plays below average. Too much project there for my taste to be a value pick.

Of the UCLA OL I unexpectedly grew to like Quissenberry, their Center.

44 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Kolton Miller measures great, but plays below average. Too much project there for my taste to be a value pick.

Of the UCLA OL I unexpectedly grew to like Quissenberry, their Center.

Probably cuz he likes Rosen.  

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I meant Scott Q. He's always been 100% behind Rosen. Might be a reason you like him. 

Pretty sure I knew that... ;)

On 17/03/2018 at 1:28 AM, syd said:

the so called QB whisper will probably ruin whatever QB we draft

With you on that. Remember he didn’t like the way Carson Wenz held the ball in the rain 🤷🏼‍♀️

Archived