THE BROWNS BOARD

From nobody to the top of the first round of the draft - Josh Allen

calfoxwc

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

you promise to leave permanently, I'll think about it. Yes, both sides have been boring, but I never started the fire. Hoopla and his little angry complainiers did.

Me?  Why me?   I have not been the one complaining about Allen haters or Rosen lovers or the like.   I was simply providing you one  option on how to relieve your angst and anxiety over this matter:  stay off the board until its over.

Though....I guess there is another option:  masturbation.    Carry on.  

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Apocalyptic?     What happens when one goes apocalyptic?   I mean, does like your brain explode?

Well some people get all......

6a4c4a734769337719641b1a8d203561--badass-pictures-nice-people.jpg

4 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

It's literally the Parthenon of Stupidity now.

Well, part of the Mod job is to 1\2 keep the inmates in line. It gets frustrating at times...  You just keep pitching- and someone refuses to get the point. Compared to every other forum I've spent time on we're about 5X more BS tolerant here.  :)  

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

No idea...

Ahh....Master and Commander.    Loved that movie.   I thought Russell Crowe should have made more of them.  I know he hates to do serial type roles...do not believe he ever has reprised a role....but if there is one where he should...it is Captain Jack Aubrey.

I think he could still do another one...if he hasn't gotten too out of shape.   I mean....what has he done lately?

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

The Nice Guys was pretty funny.

I guess he has been busy......just not much noteworthy of late.  Not like earlier in his career:

2007 3:10 to Yuma Ben Wade James Mangold  
2007 American Gangster Det. Richie Roberts Ridley Scott  
2008 Body of Lies Ed Hoffman Ridley Scott  
2009 Tenderness Detective Cristofuoro John Polson  
2009 State of Play Cal McAffrey Kevin Macdonald  
2010 Robin Hood Robin Longstride Ridley Scott Also producer
2010 The Next Three Days John Brennan Paul Haggis  
2012 The Man with the Iron Fists Jacknife Robert "RZA" Diggs  
2012 Les Misérables Inspector Javert Tom Hooper  
2013 Broken City Nicholas Hostetler Allen Hughes  
2013 Man of Steel Jor-El Zack Snyder  
2014 Winter's Tale Pearly Soames / Demon Akiva Goldsman  
2014 Noah Noah Darren Aronofsky  
2014 The Water Diviner Joshua Connor Russell Crowe Directorial debut
2015 Fathers and Daughters Jake Davis Gabriele Muccino Also executive producer
2016 The Nice Guys Jackson Healy Shane Black  
2017 War Machine Bob White David Michôd Uncredited cameo
2017 The Mummy Dr. Henry Jekyll / Mr. Edward Hyde[1] Alex Kurtzman  
2018 Boy Erased Marshall Conley Joel Edgerton Post-production
2018 Bad Times at the El Royale   Drew Goddard

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

"Hold Fast"?

Name that movie...

Actually that is the real dude from Bum Fights which he tattooed on his knuckles.

......and reportedly the grandfather of QB Josh Allen to tie this back into the original thread. :lol:

Fresh article... old perpsective... excerpts below. For full article use the link.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/11/17224760/josh-allen-cleveland-browns-analytics-nfl-draft

============================================================================================================================

Drafting Josh Allen Would End the Browns’ Analytics Era

The numbers indicate that the quarterback shouldn’t be taken anywhere near the top pick, but that hasn’t quieted the Allen-to-Cleveland talk

By Riley McAtee Apr 11, 2018, 12:00pm EDT

Allen is the embodiment of an old-fashioned, “stats are for losers” approach to evaluating prospects. While draftniks like Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper Jr. rave about Allen’s prototypical size, arm strength, and raw potential, Allen’s production in college gives no indication that he will be a franchise quarterback in the pros. As far as statistical models go, there isn’t a single one that projects Allen as even a first-round pick, much less the top overall player in the draft. And it’s not just his much-maligned completion percentage—let’s take a look under the hood.

Comparing 2018 QB Prospects

Player QBASE DYAR Projection Rosen-Olbrecht PFF "NFL Throws" Bill Connelly Success Rate IQR Final-Year QBR Passing S&P+
Baker Mayfield 1st 3rd 2nd 1st 1st 1st 1st
Sam Darnold 4th 1st 1st 2nd 6th 4th 2nd
Josh Rosen 3rd 2nd 4th 6th 5th 5th 5th
Mason Rudolph 5th 6th 3rd 3rd 2nd 3rd 4th
Lamar Jackson 2nd 5th 6th 5th 4th 2nd 3rd
Luke Falk 6th 7th N/A 4th 3rd 6th 6th
Josh Allen 7th 4th 5th 7th 7th 7th 7th

And to be fair to Allen, while the advanced stats don’t look great, no one can say for sure whether he’ll pan out or be a bust. Stats may not be for losers, but no one would argue that numbers alone make an NFL quarterback. If Allen can piece together his immense talent, he could be the next Brett Favre. If not, he’ll be the next Jake Locker. But in order to draft him no. 1 overall, the Browns would have to ignore every statistical analysis imaginable. As far as analytics go, it’d be the end of the Process in Cleveland.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

And to be fair to Allen, while the advanced stats don’t look great, no one can say for sure whether he’ll pan out or be a bust. Stats may not be for losers, but no one would argue that numbers alone make an NFL quarterback. If Allen can piece together his immense talent, he could be the next Brett Favre. If not, he’ll be the next Jake Locker. But in order to draft him no. 1 overall, the Browns would have to ignore every statistical analysis imaginable. As far as analytics go, it’d be the end of the Process in Cleveland.

I sure hope the guys in Berea are looking past the rocket launcher arm. The article had the stat I was interested in seeing. Josh broke the 60 mph barrier at the combine posting a record 62, as Palmer predicted he would...   

Just a random thought, but since it is lying season, what are the chances that the Browns don't have Allen and Darnold at #1 on their board? What if they really love Mayfield (as reported earlier in the process of the draft), and know they can get him with at least the third pick? What are the chances they are baiting the Giants, Jets, and Bills into trading for that #1 pick? What if they tell the Jets they are willing to part with #1 for Leonard Williams? A 2nd rounder from the Giants? Make both trades? 

It just seems odd, that as tight lipped as they have been about the FA moves, nobody had them pegged for any of the deals they made, that all of a sudden there is a lot of steam for Darnold and Allen. That has been one thing about this front office is there have been very few leaks. Maybe I am reading into this too much. Maybe I'm just that worried of Allen being a gigantic bust. 

I was listening to Palmer today and he was talking about how Kyle Allen (A&M then Houston) had been underutilized in college first at A&M then when the Houston coach switched to Texas and the new one relied more on a running game. He has been coaching him along with Darnold & Rosen and felt he would be a good pick up by some team in a later round as a very good developmental QB. He's followed him since Jr. high and thinks he was just never given a real legitimate shot in college, but has an arm as good as the other two.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Don't know if posted yet but BR thinks the Browns would be making a very big mistake with Allen.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769734-the-cleveland-browns-would-live-to-regret-drafting-josh-allen-at-no-1

interesting read.  really gets the ol' noggin joggin' about drafting a QB in the first and trying to pick up Mason Rudolph in a later round, as he is a decent "stats" QB.  I am really hoping for Mayfield at #1 but would be OK with Darnold or Rosen, any other than those 3 at #1 and I will have a pout but still continue to follow this team for reasons unknown.  To me, Allen would be a waste of a #1 pick because the Browns aren't known for their ability to coach QBs.  This would be another Deshone Kizer, someone who has talent but needs coaching and the Browns are not the team for that.  Allen seems like another Brandon Weeden type, where he'll occasionally have a great deep throw but it won't be enough to overcome the panicky decision-making and inaccuracy. 

17 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

Just a random thought, but since it is lying season, what are the chances that the Browns don't have Allen and Darnold at #1 on their board? What if they really love Mayfield (as reported earlier in the process of the draft), and know they can get him with at least the third pick? What are the chances they are baiting the Giants, Jets, and Bills into trading for that #1 pick? What if they tell the Jets they are willing to part with #1 for Leonard Williams? A 2nd rounder from the Giants? Make both trades? 

It just seems odd, that as tight lipped as they have been about the FA moves, nobody had them pegged for any of the deals they made, that all of a sudden there is a lot of steam for Darnold and Allen. That has been one thing about this front office is there have been very few leaks. Maybe I am reading into this too much. Maybe I'm just that worried of Allen being a gigantic bust. 

This could be exactly what the Browns are doing; keeping everyone guessing to drive up the value of their picks.  I seriously hope they don't trade out of #1 though, the only way to 100% guarantee they get the QB they want is to draft at #1.  Gambling and hoping the team you trade with doesn't take your favorite QB is too much of a risk for a team that's been without  franchise QB since 1999.  

Did someone say Baker Mayfield?🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

FORT COLLINS — Imagine you are a college football coach in the Border War between Colorado State and Wyoming and are given a choice of quarterback. No bias here. Just a blind study based on the numbers.

Quarterback A: 123-of-220 (.559); 1,450 yards; 12 touchdowns; six interceptions; 123.8 rating.

Quarterback B: 196-of-318 (.616); 2,755 yards; 22 touchdowns; nine interceptions; 151.6 rating.

B is your choice? Can’t blame you. But that’s exactly what makes Saturday’s rivalry game in Laramie so intriguing. Because in a matchup of the Mountain West’s best passing quarterbacks, raw numbers don’t tell the whole story.

The player you picked is CSU quarterback Nick Stevens, a senior with none of the NFL draft hype and all of the gaudy numbers. The player you passed over is Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen, a junior with all of the NFL draft hype and none of the gaudy numbers. One constant is mutual respect.

Stevens says of Allen: “What’s impressive is his playmaking ability.”

Allen says of Stevens: “They’re a well-oiled machine and he’s at the helm.”

Allen, 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, was anointed NFL draft royalty after a sophomore season in which he passed for 3,203 yards and 28 touchdowns, prompting one league executive to tell ESPN’s Adam Schefter: “You can put it in the books — Josh Allen will be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft next year.” That’s not the consensus now; recent mock selections from CBS Sports, USA Today and Pro Football Focus don’t even have Allen being drafted in the first round. Bleacher Report, though, lists Allen at No. 6 overall.

The wide range of opinion stems from Allen’s lackluster 2017 statistics and a playing style that both befuddles and inspires. Wyoming graduated starting center Chase Roullier and four players — wide receivers Tanner Gentry and Jake Maulhardt, running back Brian Hill and tight end Jacob Hollister — who accounted for 47 touchdowns on the 2016 team. That attrition led Allen to try and play hero ball this season.

When he takes off and runs 99 yards and has an 8-yard gain, jumps and lands on his head, we probably can maybe reel him back a little,” said Wyoming coach Craig Bohl. “But that’s where our football team is at right now. He’s going to do whatever he can to help us win. It’s been really encouraging, and a lot of our other players feed off that.”

Stevens, meanwhile, has thrived at CSU thanks in part to a strong supporting cast that features the nation’s leading receiver in Michael Gallup (1,167 yards), an offensive line that has allowed only four sacks and tailbacks Dalyn Dawkins and Izzy Matthews, who have combined to rush for 1,438 yards and 12 touchdowns.

NFLDraftScout.com lists Stevens (6-3, 215) as the No. 13-ranked quarterback among players eligible for the 2018 draft. Ten quarterbacks were drafted this year. Stevens probably will be in an NFL training camp next summer, most likely as an undrafted rookie.

“I think Nick has a chance to play at the next level because he’s extremely bright and he can run a pro-style offense,” CSU coach Mike Bobo said. “He understands what we’re doing offensively better than anyone I’ve ever had of getting us in the right play and setting the protection.”

Corey Chavous is a former Vanderbilt safety who played 11 years in the NFL and now is an NFL draft analyst for the CBS Sports Network. Chavous believes both Border War quarterbacks will have an opportunity to play in the NFL but have a lot of room to grow.

Chavous says of Allen: “I think he does hold the ball too long at times in film study. The question a lot of times is, will he locate the underneath zone droppers? I think a lot of times that has led to him making some mistakes. … The accuracy can be a little bit hot and cold from him.”

Chavous says of Stevens: “He’s probably a little bit better throwing between the numbers, although he’s improved outside the numbers. I think arm strength is going to be a little bit of a question mark. Can he translate to the next level and make all the throws?”

Allen and Stevens aren’t focused on the draft. The winner of the Border War game will take the driver’s seat in the Mountain West’s Mountain Division, with a Nov. 11 home game against Boise State looming large for the Rams.

So be glad you don’t have to choose one quarterback over the other Saturday. Just sit back and enjoy the show.

1 hour ago, 7moses7 said:

I’ll take QB  A. 

You say that now only because you know who QB A is.  

But....the fact is....Nick Stevens may in fact be the better QB coming out of the MW conference.

Nick Stevens college stats:

Passing

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Colorado State         638 1031 61.9 8554 8.3 8.5 70 27 148.7
*2014 Colorado State MWC FR QB 5 15 25 60.0 136 5.4 6.2 1 0 118.9
*2015 Colorado State MWC SO QB 13 210 346 60.7 2678 7.7 7.4 21 12 138.8
*2016 Colorado State MWC JR QB 10 129 201 64.2 1936 9.6 10.4 19 5 171.3
*2017 Colorado State MWC SR QB 13 284 459 61.9 3804 8.3 8.6 29 10 148.0

Josh Allen college stats:

Passing

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Wyoming         365 649 56.2 5066 7.8 7.7 44 21 137.7
2015 Wyoming MWC SO QB 2 4 6 66.7 51 8.5 8.5 0 0 138.1
*2016 Wyoming MWC SO QB 14 209 373 56.0 3203 8.6 8.3 28 15 144.9
*2017 Wyoming MWC JR QB 11 152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 6.9 16 6 127.8

I think it is pretty fair to compare these two guys because they played against the same competition at the same time.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Yes, and Maurice Jones-Drew on NFLN had the Browns taking Saquon Barkley at #1, totally passing on a QB. Charlie Casserly and Jeremiah still say Darnold. Mel? Has been mocking Allen to the Browns for a month. If Depodesta has any input at all left in Berea, it will be anyone but Allen. If you bothered to look at the advanced metrics link, Josh is about seventh in QB rank.

If we don't take Allen, Mel Kiper may be the only person on earth who will be more upset with the Browns than cal.

Unsurprisingly Mel also took Allen for us in his "Grade A Draft" out yesterday.

His rationale was that we need to "swing for the fences". Yes, he actually said that.

My out loud response to the TV was, "Guys who swing for the fences tend to strike out a lot."

Archived