THE BROWNS BOARD

Updating the Depth Chart

Zombo

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybebe what we have here potentially is a situation where we can have a young receiving corps grow with our young quarterback. Having Callaway and what's his name boo Radley whatever the guy from Texas A&M and maybe Coleman and  The joker etc. work with Baker Mayfield so that they all have some real chemistry between them. Hopefully that is the future of this team

9 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

Dez will require other teams to man up on him leaving Landry open like Gordon

Plenty of talk Dez is El Washed Up.  Read the comments...    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000941942/article/browns-discuss-adding-dez-bryant-with-gordon-away

Updated with some recent transactions ... if there are any names that are impressing early that need to be watched , let me know, I've been on vacation so haven't been staying up with camp, other than reading the updates on here posted by Gumby and others.

QB: Taylor, Mayfield, Stanton

FB Vitale

RB Hyde, ChubbDuke (3rd down),  Dayes

WR1 [Gordon], Callaway, Ratley

WR2 Landry (Slot), Coleman, Janis, Higgins 

TE Njoku, Fells(Blocking)Devalve

LT Coleman, Corbett, Robinson

LG Bitonio, Drango

C Tretter, Reiter

RG Zeitler, Fabiano

RT HubbardHarrison

DE Garrett (edge), C. Smith,

DT Coley, Brantley

DT Ogunjobi, Meder, 

DE Ogbah,  C. Thomas, Nassib

SLB Collins, OrchardBurgess

MLB  Schobert, Avery

WLB Kirksey/Kendricks,  Grace

CB Ward Mitchell, S. Thomas, Wilson, 

CB Carrie (Nickel), Gaines, Boddy-Calhoun, Jordan

SS Peppers, Kindred, Smith

FS Randall,  Currie

K Gonzalez

P Colquitt, Vogel

LS Hughlett

KR Calloway, Dayes

PR Calloway, Peppers

Good to see you finally "cut" the backup FB....

So we are going to take another swing at fixing "the highly athletic" Greg Robinson??? Probably my best "bust" call of all-time.

On 6/17/2018 at 12:49 PM, Flugel said:

I like PFF too; but it doesn't always cater to unique alignments/schemes. Let's see what our LBers look like when we're not lining 1 of our starting Safeties up in Toronto every play. 

Last year someone was trying to tell me Schobert was dreadful in coverage. I asked him if he had any idea how easy it is to cover both hook zones with a much deeper zone transition than other MLBs have (due to where the Safety behind is lined up) all during Schobert's 1st year playing MLB.

Probably me... but I was talking man coverage. Joe had some nice drops int zone when the field compressed Peppers into the same area code.

As for PFF's ratings... They can only judge what they see on the field. If a team doesn't put their players in position to perform, then that's on the team.

It's not a secret that our backers struggled in coverage, and Joe was certainly not an exception. At the risk of making excuses for him, it WAS his first year playing that position...at any level, and I believe he got somewhat better as time went on. Here's an observation that's not very scientific....Joe was often SO close to making the play or having the proper coverage. I could be mistaken, but I want to say in our first game against the Steelers Joe had a leaping deflection while in coverage, and then the ball still miraculously found its way to the waiting arms of none other than....Antonio Brown. See, that's what I'm talking about. 

Now of course, that's only play, but I remember there being others very similar to it where Joe was ALMOST there, ya know? I've heard from countless analysts who say the biggest difference in gaining experience is that the player plays FASTER after a few seasons. Less thinking, more action. If that holds true for Joe, he's going to be a helluva linebacker because he's always around the ball. We also shouldn't downplay the importance of Joe possessing the cerebral aptitude required to excel at the position. Gregg Williams said Joe excelled at this part of the game, and in some ways, middle linebacker is like the QB of the defense.

While Joe doesn't possess elite PHYSICAL skills, he's a tireless worker and a smart player. He's also pretty durable (I believe). Now, when you see Joe standing next to another linebacker...like...Michael Kendricks....they don't look like they play the same position. Kendricks looks like King Kong, Joe looks like a strong safety. However, Joe can play, and play well. I'm interested to see how our backers play together as a unit, and how the coaches use them. Believe it or not, we may have a top 5 group. 

37 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Probably me... but I was talking man coverage. Joe had some nice drops int zone when the field compressed Peppers into the same area code.

As for PFF's ratings... They can only judge what they see on the field. If a team doesn't put their players in position to perform, then that's on the team.

Yeah, I don't think it was you Tour.  And as I said, I like PFF too but it doesn't always account for unusual alignments/schemes such as where we were lining up Peppers until the last week or so.  That puts a lot on the MLB already responsible for both inside hook zones that a 3-4 assigns 2 different ILBers to.  Aside from that, there was no nearby zone transition at the back end that other MLB/ILBs get making him look way overtaxed in coverage occasion.  If ANY team running a 4-3 asks their MLB to man cover anybody - OC's are going to pulverize it either via the pass or pass setting up the ghost-town in the middle to gash it with the run.   If you did see that, I'd blame the schematic way more than the guy that just transitioned from OLB to ILB.

I remembered BB saying once upon a time the reason he preferred zone coverages with his LBers in particular is because it prevented them from getting out of position and preventing more vacant spaces of vulnerability in the pass game.  Collins liked to freelance and BB didn't mind parting ways with him despite his talent.

12 hours ago, thenew23 said:

That defense looks deep. The 2nd squad is pretty solid.

... and Corey is our #1 WR... lol...

Gonna be a lot of churning before the real Week 1.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Looks like Duke is getting closer to being on the de facto or real WR chart.

.......c'mon Flash, get your stuff together real soon!

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Looks like Duke is getting closer to being on the de facto or real WR chart.

It's about time...

And he can still be the 3rdand long RB.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:11 AM, Tour2ma said:

Browns have moved Calloway up the 1's.

I hope everyone is over the little pot in his car he was cited over, because he's going to be a big part of this team.

image.png

image.png

The thing that sticks out to me on the Browns depth chart ... Terrance Mitchell starting over Carrie and Gaines.

Boddy-Calhoun moved to safety as TGZ predicted.

Kendricks listed as a MLB, so I may have been on to something there as well.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

The thing that sticks out to me on the Browns depth chart ... Terrance Mitchell starting over Carrie and Gaines.

Zombo

Uhm....the thing that sticks out to me is that they have Kevin Zeitler listed at 3rd string RG!!

I don't know....is this chart just put out for this first preseason game....and he is there because of a bit on injury?   If not....WTF is going on?

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Uhm....the thing that sticks out to me is that they have Kevin Zeitler listed at 3rd string RG!!

I don't know....is this chart just put out for this first preseason game....and he is there because of a bit on injury?   If not....WTF is going on?

Because he’s hurt. That’s just how they do things when a player is injured.

33 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Hurt.

Z

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Zombo

B-C is not afraid to hit people and fast enough to cover anyone. I like that move.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 10:49 AM, Zombo said:

QB: Taylor, Mayfield///Stanton,Broback*

FB ? (Haley may use a TE)/// Vitale

RB Hyde, ChubbDuke //// Dayes* 

WR1 Callaway,Gordon //// Board,Janis,Scott

WR2 Landry,Higgins /// Ratley*,Willies*,Berry 

TE Njoku, Fells/// Devalve,Cajuste*

LT Bitonio/// Robinson,Harrison*

LG Corbett///Durango,Fabiano

C Tretter////Reiter(shakey)

RG Zeitler/// Durango,Fabiano

RT Hubbard/// S.Coleman,Robinson,Harrison

DE Garrett,Smith/// Orchard,Frazier*

DT Coley,Brantley/// Henderson*

DT Ogunjobi/// Meder,Faulk

DE Ogbah,Nassib /// C.Thomas*,Orchard

SLB Collins, Kendricks /// Bello

MLB  Schobert /// Burgess,Currie

WLB Kirksey,Avery /// Grace

CB Ward, Gaines // Jordan,S.Thomas 

CB Mitchell, Carrie,J.McKinnon /// BBC, D.Rice*

SS Peppers, Kindred /// M.Meander

FS Randall,BBC /// D.Smith,E.Campbell

K Gonzalez//// Martin (it's a dead heat & maybe better will come) 

P Vogel maybe winning here, due to dead heat & less money../// Colquitt

LS Hughlett

KR Peppers,Callaway/// Board

PR Peppers,Callaway/// Board

maybe ^^^ 40 are now IN in Black..13 more spots battling in Red...(or more to come in?)  (updated after PS3// *=PS)  13 leaders to spot..Stanton,Board,Ratley,Devalve,Robinson,Coleman,Durango,Reiter,Meder,D.Smith,Burgess//(2 left..Janis,Vitale,Orch,Jordan,Currie,Bello)

9 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

You forgot Gordon 

nope..Josh forgot his team & other life response "abilities"..Josh needs to fix himself in a lot of ways & i wish him well, I really do 

I gotta believe all of the following have secured a roster spot at this point:

QB- Taylor, Mayfield, Stanton

RB- Hyde, Johnson, Chubb

WR- Landry, Gordon, Callaway, Higgins

TE- Njoku, Fells

OL- Bitonio, Corbett, Tretter, Zeitler, Hubbard, Drango

DT - Coley, Meder, Ogunjobi, Brantley

DE- Garrett, Ogbah, C.Smith

LB- Schobert, Kirksey, Collins, Kendricks, Avery

DB- Ward, Mitchell, Gaines, Carrie, Randall, Peppers, Kirksey, BBC

ST- Hughlett, Colquitt

That's 40. Add a kicker and we have 41. That still leaves 12 open spots.  IMHO we still need receiver help and could use depth at DE.

The leaders for those last spots are probably:

Burgess LB, Nassib DE, Janis WR, C.Thomas DE, Vitale FB, Ratley WR, Reiter C/G, Jordan DB, DeValve TE, Coleman OL, S.Thomas DB, Orchard DE

Which isn't too bad for the bottom of a depth chart. However, I fully expect 4-5 of those spots to go to players that aren't currently with the Browns, including Dez Bryant.

Archived