THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Thomas has retired

LondonBrown

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/15/2018 at 3:38 PM, Bigalow80 said:

Joe is going to have so many roles with this browns organization it is not going to be funny. Seriously, people will probably see him more now than ever before. Mark my words in 30 years, people will recognize Joe for his media work first before they realize how amazing of a player he was. 

YAWN..................... amazing my caulk. He was an offensive lineman. When he quit, the Browns O got better. 

28 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

YAWN..................... amazing my caulk. He was an offensive lineman. When he quit, the Browns O got better. 

amazing caulk..another gm got better players not surrounded by JT..quit being a haten twat

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

What Joe's "venture" turned out to be is that he is promoting, a spokesman for flu shots.

There was some additional chitchat about life after football. Big point he made was how good he feels having lost 50#... has really reduced his struggles with Arthur Itis.

Losing weight also reduced Joe's chances of.... 

diabetes.jpg

10 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Cleveland went 0-16 the only year he went on IR.  When he joined the Browns in 2007, they went 10-6. Keep in mind, that season started with a blowout loss to Pittsburgh with Charlie Frye holding onto the ball too long.  We changed QBs, and DA had the dream season of his career with 29 TD passes in just 15 games earning him a Pro Bowl alternate honor.  And that's just a career backup...

Timing is everything in this league. You're blaming Joe Thomas for the inability of this franchise to find the right QB while he was here (outside DA's exception to the rule in his career).  If he can make 10 consecutive Pro Bowls blocking for QBs that process information more like Tyrod than Baker - it's too bad the best we ever gave the guy was 1 journey man QB.  It would have been nice to see more than 1 QB that processed information quickly enough to succeed while Joe was here.

Now it's time to see if our UFA Desmond Harrison at LT can become the next Tony (T-Bone) Jones as a reliable pass protector on the blind side.  Baker Mayfield made it a point to stand up for his last LT (Orlando Brown JR) during wide-spread criticism of the guy's Combine workout.  He reminded Brown's critics that he gave up ZERO sacks while he was the starting QB. I'm sure a QB that got rid of the ball quickly was just as important to that achievement as good pass pro. 

13 minutes ago, hish747 said:

Makes me wonder if he wishes he had just one more year in him.

Probably more than one.

His kids are 2 (son) and ~0.2 (brand new daughter) years old. Still had 3 or 4 years before playing would get in the way of seeing the oldest get active in extracurriculars... a factor that comes into many players decision to hang 'em up.

27 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Probably more than one.

His kids are 2 (son) and ~0.2 (brand new daughter) years old. Still had 3 or 4 years before playing would get in the way of seeing the oldest get active in extracurriculars... a factor that comes into many players decision to hang 'em up.

That's a great point. Although I obviously don't KNOW him, I can all but guarantee he'd still be playing if that awful injury didn't happen. Even if he had an ACL injury, I think he'd be back. Not being able to use his arm for so long atrophied his muscles and the weight loss is what ultimately caused him to retire (what he basically said). 

And you know it has to kill him because no matter how many games we win this year, it's obvious that we have a real team. Yes, Tyrod was awful so far, but Joe would've loved having him over the garbage he had the past umpteen years. And now, there's Baker. Joe doesn't like rookies, he's said so numerous times. It's understandable why. But Baker isn't the typical rookie, meaning he's very prepared and he's got the respect of the team. I also think Baker would sort of reinvigorate Joe, keep him young. Make it FUN again. 

I've long hoped Joe would be open to a coaching position, even though I knew he'd never do it because he's been gradually working towards commentating, which he's got a knack for. I wanted him to stay mostly to coach up Desmond Harrison, who by Joe's admission has more physical gifts than just about anyone. Joel Bitonio kind of stepped back from that assessment, but still intimated Harrison's gifts were rare and the kid has talent. Harrison needs to learn how to care for his body, how to really work out, how to eat, and how to watch film properly. Joe said he really started coming into his own once he learned how to watch film and learn from it. 

Anyway, it'll never happen, but I can dream. Actually, I already feel like I AM dreaming. Why? Because we're starting an unrestricted free agent at Left Tackle after having a Hall of Fame player for almost 11 straight years. I admit, that first game was a bit tenuous at first, but Harrison got better in the second half, and seems to be getting better each week. Is he Hall of Fame? Of course not, but he's getting better, learning, and we have a real prospect here. Harrison needs two major things, and each come with time. He needs a year of NFL strength training, and he just needs playing experience. I think what gets me excited about him is the potential. He gets stronger, he learns the assignments better, and keeps it on the straight and narrow....we got a STEAL. 

Archived