THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Thomas has retired

LondonBrown

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

Joe Thomas' draft profile...I think they nailed it

14a81a585d5a8ee0727b859968b46079_crop_exact.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

Great catch.. And he did one season better...

39 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Just think of the massive effect this will have on our record......

I was just sitting here wondering as i started reading the thread whether your or Ghoolie would post the silly post about the lack of importance Oline has. This is a HUGE loss. 

13 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

I was just sitting here wondering as i started reading the thread whether your or Ghoolie would post the silly post about the lack of importance Oline has. This is a HUGE loss. 

I can't remember how many quarterbacks we've gone through since Joe got here, but without him- it would have been around 5-6 more.  

@phil_dawson_4
Follow Follow @phil_dawson_4
More

The deer population in NE Ohio is now at increased danger given @joethomas73 retirement An avid outdoorsman, dedicated family man, & the best I’ve ever seen play OT.  Been a privilege to watch.

:lol::lol:

1 hour ago, jcam222 said:

Huge in what way?  Record wise? NO.  He was a great lineman, but had no influence on our win loss record.

12 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Huge in what way?  Record wise? NO.  He was a great lineman, but had no influence on our win loss record.

Lets look at a different angle perhaps. WITH the talent we have added now and the draft do you believe this team is  better with or without Joe Thomas?

Didn't think this was the end.

Feels like a kick in the nuts.

I was all good wishes, etc., until I saw his parting vid. His "Go-o-o-o-o Browns" did not sit well.

Good thing we have a "mobile QB"...

Ultimately it was his knee that told him that it didn't want to play football any more.  And as he was saying that I was thinking, Yeah, he was on the injury report every week with that knee.

He played every play of his whole career for us....as freakin' lousy as we were....constantly changing coaches, playbooks, players, owners....he stayed with us.  

He's pretty much always represented exactly what you would wish for in a football player.........a left tackle anyway.  Would've been great if he coulda' thrown TD passes for us though.  

5 hours ago, Nero said:

I respect the man for all the effort he has put through all this tough years, and I understand that at one point you have to think how do you want to live the rest of your life. NFL takes a lot from the players' body. 

Take care, Joe and hopefully we'll see you around in some other way! (broadcasting, HOF...) 

Yep...  Had a long career with only one team.   Wish he could've seen more wins but no question he left it all on the field when he played.   I'm sure we will be seeing him on TV in some capacity before too long.  MNF is a good possibility as is the Thursday night games. 

The Relentless Excellence of Joe Thomas

Cleveland’s 10-time Pro Bowl left tackle announced his retirement on Wednesday. Long the lone bright spot on a franchise marked by mediocrity, he walks away as one of the greatest NFL linemen of all time.

By

Every so often, there comes along an athlete whose accomplishments are so outlandish that his greatness becomes difficult to comprehend. Joe Thomas was one of those. The 10-time Pro Bowl left tackle announced his retirement on Wednesday, bringing to a close one of the most decorated careers an offensive lineman has ever put together. Thomas was named All-Pro nine times in 11 seasons. He was named first-team All-Pro six times. The Browns selected the Wisconsin product with the third overall pick in the 2007 draft, a class that included Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis, Marshal Yanda, and Marshawn Lynch. Among a group of likely Hall of Fame inductees, Thomas may have been the best one.

The 6-foot-7 311-pounder was a damn-near perfect left tackle. He’s an athletic marvel who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.92 seconds and posted a 33-inch vertical leap at the NFL combine. He was as physically gifted as offensive linemen come, but that was far from what made him the best tackle since Jonathan Ogden. To watch Thomas as a pass blocker was to watch a master. Footwork, hand placement, and understanding angles all came second nature. If he wasn’t flawless, he sure was close.

Thomas may take offense to this, but the game appeared easy to him. No tackle in my lifetime has ever seemed more comfortable. Left tackle is probably the most refined position in football outside of quarterback, and Thomas always looked as if he were born to play it. His genius was so methodical that it could be easy to take for granted.

Sadly, another set of numbers is just as striking. Over Thomas’s final 10 NFL seasons, the Browns won a combined 38 games. They finished in last place in the AFC North nine times, and were outscored by 1,118 points — which comes out to an average of almost exactly seven points per game. The standard Browns game for nearly his whole career was a loss by at least a touchdown. And through it all, through 20 mediocre quarterbacks, a steady stream of general managers, and nine straight losing seasons, there was Joe Thomas, manning the blind side as the top left tackle in football. His relentless excellence came in the face of never-ending incompetence.

No matter how bad it all got, Thomas never missed a beat. That notion, more than a résumé filled with Hall of Fame credentials, should be his lasting legacy.

There is no debate about whether Thomas will wind up in Canton. That was settled long ago. He’s the rare player whose place in NFL history can’t solely be compared with his contemporaries. Sizing up his career evokes names like Ogden, Anthony Munoz, and Walter Jones — some of the best to ever do it. There just haven’t been many guys like him.

I’ve met Thomas once. It was the summer of 2015. I wanted to write about his unceasing production for a franchise mired in dysfunction. We had lunch together in the cafeteria of the Browns’ facility in Berea, Ohio, and even back then, he sounded like a man who understood the end comes for all players, no matter how great. “You’re the first kid picked in playground football,” Thomas told me about the eventual twilight of his career. “You’re the first kid picked in Little League. You’re the first pick in the NFL draft. Every team wants you in free agency, so your team throws a boatload of money at you. Everyone has always wanted you, and suddenly, you wake up one day and nobody wants you anymore. There’s a competitor inside of you that says, ‘I’m going to prove them wrong,’ but eventually, one day, you just can’t prove them wrong anymore.”

In the moment, the sentiment seemed somber. Three years later, it speaks to the giant Thomas actually was. We never had to watch him fade. Thomas is walking away on his own terms, as one of the greatest players the NFL has ever seen.

I screamed like a little girlie when we drafted him....I wanted him Sooo Badly for our horrid offensive line.  It's so sad that HE would've been so much better off if we hadn't picked him.  For he couldn't help us.  He could only protect the QB.  He couldn't make the QB be good.

Joe was a great player, set a mind boggling record (10,363 consecutive snaps) that I think will never be broken, & remains a treasure of Browns & Fans.

He'll be missed.

Mike

got the 88 year old dad call today..We spoke of Joe & we spoke of dad's days when the GOAT Jim Brown walked away from the game. I was 1 year old. gumby was my nickname since junior high. 73 was my favorite player in any sport.Started when JT was at Wisconsin. Today has been a total rollercoaster ride started by checking this Board with Carlos Hyde coming home. When the news broke and Joe spoke that the piling injuries took the game away from him. What more can you ask your hero to do? While at this years draft, I shook the hand of Phil Savage now working for Sirius XM radio. I told him "it's a honor to shake the hand of the man that brought JT to my favorite team in Cleveland". now just a odd moment from JT's start in C-town to now at the finish line. Congrats Joe Thomas,it's been a hell of a ride.The list of QB's protected is not impressive.It's the list of DE's & others that this guy shutdown in 11 straight years.See you in Canton..damn straight I'll be there.. 

My son just turned 23 and the 2 Brown's players he remembers most are Thomas and Dawson...  Pretty F'n sad when you think about it. ( When I was young, a long F'n time ago) I wanted to be Jimmy Brown, Leroy Kelly or Gary Collins.

When he was around 10 or so he asked me; "Dad why do I have to be a Brown's fan?" I told him you don't have to, but I will move your bed to the shed with that huge possum!   

Love Joe, very sad to see him go...

3 hours ago, FALCON7 said:

My son just turned 23 and the 2 Brown's players he remembers most are Thomas and Dawson...  Pretty F'n sad when you think about it. ( When I was young, a long F'n time ago) I wanted to be Jimmy Brown, Leroy Kelly or Gary Collins.

When he was around 10 or so he asked me; "Dad why do I have to be a Brown's fan?" I told him you don't have to, but I will move your bed to the shed with that huge possum!   

Love Joe, very sad to see him go...

Sad but true since the late 1990s I've seen more and more steelrz flags, jackets, (fair weather) fans in the tiny sliver of NE OH-IO I live in go that way.

Even BROWNS games blacked out for pizzburg games anytime both play at 1 pm. Maybe current events might help correct that.

GO BROWNS! 

10 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Hey Jackoff, I never said the O Line was not important. What I said was, Offensive Linemen are a dime a dozen. They are the least talented players in Pro Sports. Joe Thomas will not be missed. He didn't add one fukcing ting to the Browns offense. Fukc Joe Thomas.

3 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Hey Jackoff, I never said the O Line was not important. What I said was, Offensive Linemen are a dime a dozen. They are the least talented players in Pro Sports. Joe Thomas will not be missed. He didn't add one fukcing ting to the Browns offense. Fukc Joe Thomas.

I imagine Ghoolie Is the human version of someone who has herpes getting another outbreak.

You know you have it, but just pray it stays away, but when it comes back you remember how awful it is. 

4 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I imagine Ghoolie Is the human version of someone who has herpes getting another outbreak. 

it's St.Patrick Day weekend. that chit will be as green as his teeth singing to some Irish accordian music post shortly. F Joe Thomas? no F' yourself ya homo..

17 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

I can see it now...4 games left to go in the season, the Browns starting LT goes down..is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nope.. it's joe thomas soaring in with his superman costume and taking his place leading the browns to a super bowl victory...it would be glorious.

Only if he is sitting on his tukas....which I don't think he will be.    He will likely be broadcasting games somewhere.

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Has there been a better NFL player who played for a worse team than Thomas?

Some say Archie Manning....but Manning was never HOF.

Though....some also say that if Manning had been drafted by the Steelers, and Bradshaw by the Saints....their roles would be reversed.  Manning would have 4 Super Bowl rings (or more)...and TB none.

Sweet... should sign him as a OL Asst. Coach...

... even tho it'd destroy my growing "Hue's staying made Joe go" feeling.

Archived