THE BROWNS BOARD

Throwing away money and picks

LondonBrown

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Glad you stayed...

One of these vet-loving folks need to explain exactly how many vet examples a locker room needs. Seems to me like it's always 2 to 5 guys.

Offense we had Thomas and still have Bito and Zeitler. Defense has Collins and HAD McCourty. May be we need 32 leaders? More?

FIFY:D

And here is a nice little article on the changes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921673/article/freeagency-debrief-four-reshaped-teams-i-cant-wait-to-see

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/15/2018 at 9:31 PM, Orion said:

I swear, we are a better team right now than we've been in some time....and we haven't hit the draft and our 5 picks in the first two rounds yet.  

By trading for TieRod & Landry he gave our offense a reason to exist.  That sent the signal to free agency that we were no longer going to be the Siberia of the NFL.  Such that you don't have to avoid Cleveland like the plague any more.  And he WAS able to sign some FA's.  -  This really is a big deal for the Browns. 

He's trying to change the culture...and I mean REALLY change the culture.  

Good post... the heart of which I plucked out to address and ask a question.

Agree that we are better right now than we've been... in a couple seasons.... three tops. Almost all of any "better" comes in the form of TT and the QB spot. Landry? Good player, but it's not like we haven't had 1000-yd receivers recently... that they played outside and TE matters not. Issue is that as of now TT and Landry are merely leased players... and expensive leasees at that.

FA signings are nothing new. They happen every year. This year the volume is up, but that's merely the product of a philosophy change away from an emphasis on growing our own. Make a change in the direction we had and there is going to be an exaggerated "snap-back". As for "Siberia"... when you still have to overpay for the FA talent you land, then you are still Siberia. Until our leasees are locked up by new contracts their acquisition doesn't send a signal anywhere to anyone.

And now the question... Culture change? From what to what and how does your take reflect the change you see?

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Culture change? From what to what and how does your take reflect the change you see?

From signing a QB that knows how to play in the NFL...as opposed to our QB throwing int's all the time.  (QB play is so important)

From bringing in Landry for the slot...which is something TT likes to utilize.

From bringing in OLinemen, DB's, RB, etc.

All of these guys come from other teams where games are won and winning is expected.  They come right out and say that they had no part in our past losing.

The knowledge that a respected football man is in charge...and that the best QB in the draft is going to be joining the team.

Cumulatively the team is much different, better and far removed from the last 2 years.

7 hours ago, Orion said:

From signing a QB that knows how to play in the NFL...as opposed to our QB throwing int's all the time.  (QB play is so important)

From bringing in Landry for the slot...which is something TT likes to utilize.

From bringing in OLinemen, DB's, RB, etc.

All of these guys come from other teams where games are won and winning is expected.  They come right out and say that they had no part in our past losing.

The knowledge that a respected football man is in charge...and that the best QB in the draft is going to be joining the team.

Cumulatively the team is much different, better and far removed from the last 2 years.

Well... at least there was one item that touched on "culture"...

Apparently we now have players who say "wasn't my fault."

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Well... at least there was one item that touched on "culture"...

Apparently we now have players who say "wasn't my fault."

What is it that you're expecting?  Bringing in players who paint portraits?  Perform in their local philharmonics?  Poets?

Our team was full of players that have done nothing but lose their whole time here.  Including three lost soul QB's.  A lot is different now.  That's a culture change on a football team.

Archived