THE BROWNS BOARD

Throwing away money and picks

LondonBrown

I reckon we will be 6-10 or 8-8 this year and everyone will celebrate a comeback. 

Errrrrm Well done.

This franchise is going nowhere long term and you wanted passive aggressive from me well I guess you got it. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on here shrewdly said the other day that Hue and this FO are in win now mode. 

He was spot on and this is the result. Throwing away any bright future so they all save their jobs winning six games this year. 

Ugly. Very ugly. 

To be honest, what did you expect? I bet even Sashi could have done something like this, surely his plan was not to save money and get more picks till the end of times: at some point you have to spend your resources. 

Anyhow, I still see our top picks in the same place and some movements trying to improve the team. We are still far away from cap hell with the signings there have been so far. 

So, for now, let's wait and see how it ends up.

12 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I reckon we will be 6-10 or 8-8 this year and everyone will celebrate a comeback. 

Errrrrm Well done.

This franchise is going nowhere long term and you wanted passive aggressive from me well I guess you got it. 

I'll disagree.

We still have our top 5 picks in the draft- check

Plenty of cap room for the future- check

Bridge quarterback in place- check

Traded a 4th round pick for best slot receiver in the NFL- check. 

Unloaded under performing Shelton and Kizer- check

12 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Someone on here shrewdly said the other day that Hue and this FO are in win now mode. 

He was spot on and this is the result. Throwing away any bright future so they all save their jobs winning six games this year. 

Ugly. Very ugly. 

I said that.

They are and thats why you bring in FA guys who have experience instead of waiting for a rookie to come around. You can win now and still build for tomorrow. Ive been out of town, but dont the Browns still have all 1st picks and 2nd round picks? They spent a 3rd.

3 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Sashi had a plan other than “throw red meat to the pitchfork-wielding villagers.” New FO doesn’t. 

Well, you can't just keep kicking the can down the road forever either. It's why he's not here anymore. 

16 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Ugly. Very ugly. 

Its like midnight in London....and it sounds like you have drained the pub of all its bitters.

None of the rest of us have a clue what you are talking about.

19 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Errrrrm Well done.

What time is it over there?

Are the pubs closing?

we are bringing in guys that have 1)experience 2) their teams won some games..name a handful that have on this roster in 4 years?  

It's 10:40pm in London.

The summer I spent there the locals would have their second paint down the throat by now.

EDIT: logic says it is written 'paint', but English dictionary says I refer to pint. Weird language. Viva el español.

1 minute ago, boo fagley said:

I said that.

They are and thats why you bring in FA guys who have experience instead of waiting for a rookie to come around. You can win now and still build for tomorrow. Ive been out of town, but dont the Browns still have all 1st picks and 2nd round picks? They spent a 3rd.

The question is how much winning is enough. Most of us just want progress without mortgaging the future. I see the Browns on that track. Mark said 7-9, heck even 6-10 is progress. There's a few pie in the sky guys expecting playoffs- I won't name names, but you know who they are.   

Fair enough  

It’s been a few months now of stuff like this thrown at me for not having the same opinion as the rest of you. Bit tired of it.   

I shall bow out of the board and bid you all a farewell. 

I'm not expecting playoffs, but I think it's very possible. Let's just say I will not be surprised, because the Browns were in nearly ALL their games last year. I'm not seeing sacrificing the future at all. They have their draft picks, 5 in the first two rounds, great cap space..... They could actually do it and have it be long term.

You just have to be very smart and make the right moves, and draft a good draft.

It's happened before:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/20/seven-non-winning-teams-have-won-the-super-bowl-the-next-year/

Seven non-winning teams have won the Super Bowl the next year

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

It's 10:40pm in London.

The summer I spent there the locals would have their second paint down the throat by now.

They drink paint over there?

Explains LondonBrown's posts then. 

27 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Errrrrm Well done.

If we are matching up time lines here, the only person screeching like this during Sashi's run at GM was Ghoolie. Don't be Ghoolie.\

Give it time. If Dorsey runs it into the toilet, fans and pundits in Cleveland won't be shy about their disdain. 

Just now, hoorta said:

The question is how much winning is enough. Most of us just want progress without mortgaging the future. I see the Browns on that track. Mark said 7-9, heck even 6-10 is progress. There's a few pie in the sky guys expecting playoffs- I won't name names, but you know who they are.   

Playoffs are not probable but they are possible.

I like to break down the season into 4 - 4 game quarters. Splitting even 2 - 2 in each quarter gets you 8 - 8. A couple of plays here or there can make it 10 - 6. It all has to come together which is sometimes difficult with guys learning new schemes and all.

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'll disagree.

We still have our top 5 picks in the draft- check

Plenty of cap room for the future- check

Bridge quarterback in place- check

Traded a 4th round pick for best slot receiver in the NFL- check. 

Unloaded under performing Shelton and Kizer- check

That's the key here.

C'mon London, we've all been waiting, waiting, and more waiting for the fortunes of this team to turn around. No guarantees these acquisitions will do that, but they had to try and bring some experience around here. The team is so very young.

I think it's obvious they're expecting #73 to retire, thus the OL signings.

1 minute ago, LondonBrown said:

Fair enough  

It’s been a few months now of stuff like this thrown at me for not having the same opinion as the rest of you. Bit tired of it.   

Well, I think it is better that there are different opinions, as it enriches the Board and allows us to see everything the Browns do from every perspective.

I wouldn't come here to look for aprovaI or people thinking like me, I instead come here to talk and discuss (and cheer, and cry) about a team that I like.

8 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Fair enough  

Hubbard is not making the money you think.

Only 18 million is guaranteed over 5 years. Thats only 3.6 million per season x 5 years plus salary and extras. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8729/chris-hubbard 3.6 million is a drop in the bucket factored into an NFL salary cap. 

I think it's admirable what Dorsey is doing because literally we can't expect to keep drafting people in mid to late rounds and that we can build a roster solely from them. If we keep doing that, we'd have more cap room than anyone in history and no "real" NFL players. I don't fault Dorsey for going after "real" players, even rotational ones. He's trying to win, and before you strike him for spending, it takes money to win money.

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

They drink paint over there?

Explains LondonBrown's posts then. 

Well, I had never written pint and it turns out that, like every other freaking word in English, it is written differently than it is pronounced... <_<

Archived