THE BROWNS BOARD

Cousins to sign 3 year $84M fully guaranteed deal, insane?

mjp28

Insane?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/03/13/nfl-free-agency-minnesota-vikings-to-sign-kirk-cousins-to-fully-guaranteed-contract/#3a16d8ea1777

.........That's now all but official. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Pro Bowl quarterback Kirk Cousins intends on signing a fully guaranteed three-year contract with the Vikings when free agency opens Wednesday.

According to Mark Rosen of CBS Minnesota, the deal will pay Cousins an NFL record $28 million per season, totaling out at $84 million over the three years.

The $28 million annually is just north of the $27.5 million Jimmy Garoppolo received on his five-year deal with the San Francisco 49ers earlier in the offseason. It's also the first fully guaranteed multi-year deal for a quarterback in league history.

It has been a foregone conclusion for some time now that Cousins would land with the defending NFC North champions. Though, the Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos and New York Jets were also said to be in on him.

The 29-year-old Cousins played under the franchise tag with the Washington Redskins each of the past two seasons, earning a total of nearly $44 million during that span. His deal with the Vikings means Cousins will cash in to the tune of $128 million over the course of five years. That's absolutely insane.......

3 minutes ago, nickers said:

That's just Dumb.. sink all that money into one player.. OOooookay!

Maybe they'll bench him so he doesn't get hurt.  :lol:

Not bad for the guy picked 3 rounds after RG3, to be the backup.

Good luck Vikings.

-  snow day here in New England......snowing to beat the band.... -  now back to regular broadcasting

12 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

Whatever. For the Vikings I guess it makes sense. They got where they did last season with Case Keenum and even though Cousins isn't... Awesome?  He is like twice the QB Keenum is. 

Not gonna be insane if they win. Gonna look awful if they fail to make the playoffs.

Win the Super Bowl maybe, anything less looks so desperate. 

Even a 1 year $28M fully guaranteed contract in a brutal contact sport for anybody is so insane.

OK, but Jeez.....the money JG made....and the money Cousins will make:

Imagine what the actually really GOOD QBs in this league could/should be making:

Brady,   BR, Rodgers,  Wilson,  Flacco, Ryan,  Stafford,   Luck..if he were healthy,  Brees (though I guess he got a deal done),  Rivers, Carr

....all of whom I rate above Cousins...and JG....at this point.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Imagine what the actually really GOOD QBs in this league could/should be making:

Brady,   BR, Rodgers,  Wilson,  Flacco, Ryan,  Stafford,   Luck..if he were healthy,  Brees (though I guess he got a deal done),  Rivers, Carr

All should rate higher except may Fluco. 

I also would have Alex Smith. 

And a few of the young guys, JG included may after more time.

I have never seen Flacco as much of a top QB, or Cousins. Cousins put up great NUMBERS, but not his play

38 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

All should rate higher except may Fluco. 

I also would have Alex Smith. 

And a few of the young guys, JG included may after more time.

I have never seen Flacco as much of a top QB, or Cousins. Cousins put up great NUMBERS, but not his play

His own team didn't think they could win with him.   It is why they never cut a long term deal with him.   Because, they were right.  He was 26-30-1.

Now...the rest of the shite on that team had a lot to do with it....but he never got his team to rise above the level of mediocrity...

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Next in line for a big raise is Matt Ryan, after him Aaron Rodgers. Stay tuned Gip. 

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

They won't draft Rosen if he is not on the board.  Does this guy think Rosen will slip to 12?  

For all we know....the Browns still may take him at #1.

No way he drops out of the top 5,  I agree,  unless they trade the house to move up 

Just now, SD_Tom said:

No way he drops out of the top 5,  I agree,  unless they trade the house to move up 

Which....they might.   But I see that probably happening only on draft day....only after the Browns have made their choice.....then the Bills may want to move up to as high as #2....if the Browns haven't taken him. 

In a league with teams starved for a franchise QB, it makes sense, but damn, The Vikings could of kept Keenum and drafted a guy. I would've done that over overpaying for Cousins. As far as Jimmy G goes, I always predicted he'd be lights out when he's ready, and I for sure think he's worth the contract he received. 

1 hour ago, SD_Tom said:

Here's how the FA QB sweepstakes affects the top of the draft- just my humble opinion. Cousins to the Vikes- no surprise. Keenum to the Broncos, Elway decided Cousin's contract is too rich for his blood. Bradford (one year deal) to the Cardinals. 

We'll assume the Browns take their preferred QB at #1. Broncos now unlikely to trade up, they'll sit at #5 and cross their fingers. Jets are left out in the cold. If the Bills want Rosen- they have the draft picks to do so, assuming the Giants or Colts are willing to trade down. The Jets could get in a bidding war for the #2 with the Bills. MHO is the Cardinals don't have the draft ammo to move into the top five, they may wind up having to take Rudolph or Jackson- whichever they prefer. 

I've been saying very possible QBs could go in the first three picks. Nirvana for the Browns at #4. Chubb or Barkley are sitting there for us.  :)  

4 hours ago, nickers said:

That's just Dumb.. sink all that money into one player.. OOooookay!

...and that one player ain't exactly elite! Unfortunately, the bar has been set.

Mike

1 minute ago, Canton Mike said:

...and that one player ain't exactly elite! Unfortunately, the bar has been set.

Mike

I just made a prediction on another thread that I think that Vikings fans will wish they had Keenum back next year, rather than Cousins.

11 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

The Bills have a very nice house to bargain with Tom.  :)  Picks #12 and #22 in the first, #53, #56 in the second, and #65 (top of the third from the Browns) and # 96.   

Throw in a future first round, and that's probably enough to get the Browns interested to move out of #1..    

3 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Mike

If an average QB like Cousuns gets $130Mill what should Rogers command.. $200 Mill?

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The Bills have a very nice house to bargain with Tom.  :)  Picks #12 and #22 in the first, #53, #56 in the second, and #65 (top of the third from the Browns) and # 96.   

Throw in a future first round, and that's probably enough to get the Browns interested to move out of #1..    

If "Sisha" were still running the show , you could bank on that.. I think Dorsey is more shrewed...

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

If an average QB like Cousuns gets $130Mill what should Rogers command.. $200 Mill?

Per year???   :rolleyes:

Mike

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

If Sishi were still running the show , you could bank on that.. I think Dorsey is more shrewed...

Yeah it won't happen. But could ya imagine? we get our QB at #4, two more picks in the first, and five in the second?  Hit on five out of the seven, and you could almost rebuild the roster in one year..  

But how long can they keep raising prices.. The little guy is just about void of affording game tickets now as it is... Whose gonna pay for this Sheet?.. Not me...

6 minutes ago, nickers said:

But how long can they keep raising prices.. The little guy is just about void of affording game tickets now as it is... Whose gonna pay for this Sheet?.. Not me...

What will kill rising prices, and salaries- is stagnant TV revenue- the NFL's real cash cow. Not game ticket prices.  I wouldn't complain too much. This list won't sort- and I assume it's secondary market- but the Browns were third cheapest in the NFL to go watch a game. Foxboro would cost you triple. 

https://www.vividseats.com/blog/2017-nfl-pricing-preview

1 hour ago, stillmotion said:

In a league with teams starved for a franchise QB, it makes sense, but damn, The Vikings could of kept Keenum and drafted a guy. I would've done that over overpaying for Cousins. As far as Jimmy G goes, I always predicted he'd be lights out when he's ready, and I for sure think he's worth the contract he received. 

The perception here in Mn is that Keenum is smart, agile, but has a weak arm. Most of the “experts” think Cousins is a better athlete, as smart, and has a much stronger arm.

Archived