THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns agressively pursuing LT Nate Solder

Kvoethe

Report: Browns making run at Solder with Thomas' future undecided

Michael McClymontMar 13 2018, 9:07 AM

The Cleveland Browns are making preparations in the event they won't have Joe Thomas at left tackle.

The Browns are said to be making a big run at soon-to-be free-agent left tackle Nate Solder, the Boston Globe's Ben Volin reports, citing a source.

In his 11 seasons in Cleveland, Thomas never missed a game until he tore his triceps halfway through the 2017 season. He's regarded as the best left tackle in football, but the 33-year-old is mulling retirement.

Solder is considered the best left tackle on the market. The two-time Super Bowl champ has spent seven seasons in New England and the Patriots are also reportedly working to keep him. But the Browns are armed with the second-most cap space and are embarking on a substantial rebuild after a winless 2017 season.

No. If a player retires, the team he retires from holds his rights indefinitely. 

Here's another consideration: what happens if Joe Thomas decides to retire? If the draft goes as I expect it too in the top 3 picks, 1.)Cle- QB 2.) NYG- Barkley 3.) Qb with trade-up from someone; would the browns draft Nelson from ND? He's considered the best prospect outside of Barkley in the draft and even though he is a guard, some believe he can play tackle. The other option would be to put him at guard and kick Bitonio out at left tackle. The other option could be to trade down to with the Bills and potentially grab a guy like Conor Williams at 12 

Journalists and Mary Kay were tweeting yesterday the Browns want to sign Breeland, Trumaine Johnson, Pryor and Solder ....and then enter the draft more loaded than we have  been in years

13 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Journalists and Mary Kay were tweeting yesterday the Browns want to sign Breeland, Trumaine Johnson, Pryor and Solder ....and then enter the draft more loaded than we have  been in years

I wish Mary Kay was right for once.

Zombo

1 hour ago, Bigalow80 said:

No. If a player retires, the team he retires from holds his rights indefinitely. 

Here's another consideration: what happens if Joe Thomas decides to retire? If the draft goes as I expect it too in the top 3 picks, 1.)Cle- QB 2.) NYG- Barkley 3.) Qb with trade-up from someone; would the browns draft Nelson from ND? He's considered the best prospect outside of Barkley in the draft and even though he is a guard, some believe he can play tackle. The other option would be to put him at guard and kick Bitonio out at left tackle. The other option could be to trade down to with the Bills and potentially grab a guy like Conor Williams at 12 

Or....after all that,   Joe decides to unretire and to come back and play?

50 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Glad to see we didnt get sucked in to a bidding war and showed some restraint

Amen.... he's not that good.

1 hour ago, Kvoethe said:

Glad to see we didnt get sucked in to a bidding war and showed some restraint

Yep, I'm glad the Browns didn't overpay for a guy who may have been the best LT in FA. . .but he's not worth 60 million.

Also of note, Nate Solder suffered a torn bicep injury in 2015, which is the same injury that sidelined Joe Thomas.

10 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Yep, I'm glad the Browns didn't overpay for a guy who may have been the best LT in FA. . .but he's not worth 60 million.

Also of note, Nate Solder suffered a torn bicep injury in 2015, which is the same injury that sidelined Joe Thomas.

The good news being that it seems that a guy can come back from that injury 100%.

I think Joe comes back.

On 3/14/2018 at 12:40 PM, Canton Dawg said:

Yeah- looks like the G-Men are paying Solder $2 million more a season than what we would have been paying Joe. Tour, and we take Humboldt State dude Phi Beta Cappa in one of the lower rounds as a project? What ya think? 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Yeah- looks like the G-Men are paying Solder $2 million more a season than what we would have been paying Joe. Tour, and we take Humboldt State dude Phi Beta Cappa in one of the lower rounds as a project? What ya think? 

I think Coleman is our new LT... and he'll do nicely returning to his college position. He showed fluidity at LT for Auburn that never showed up in Berea at RT.

Cappa? Not feeling him, h. No burst... poor agility.

Want a project on the cheap? Look at TCU's Noteboom.

13 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Rumor has it we're going for Pryor, i'm not sure Shon Coleman is ready to start LT for us yet. we'll see how confident the coaching staff is.

Well...I am hearing that the LT job is Shon Coleman's....as it stands, and that Hubbard will be the RT.  

So...as I see it, we have gone from HOF caliber to:  WTFH....we now have one of the most important positions on the team being one of our biggest question marks!!

On 3/14/2018 at 12:51 PM, The Gipper said:

The good news being that it seems that a guy can come back from that injury 100%.

I think Joe comes back.

It's happened before, guys miss football, whatever.  Besides what really makes these guys tick especially when money is not the principal motivational factor?

Enquiring minds want to know. 

15 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Rumor has it we're going for Pryor, i'm not sure Shon Coleman is ready to start LT for us yet. we'll see how confident the coaching staff is.

So.... Pryor is now moving to OT? Would have thought he'd first play a season at TE... ;)

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think Coleman is our new LT... and he'll do nicely returning to his college position. He showed fluidity at LT for Auburn that never showed up in Berea at RT.

Cappa? Not feeling him, h. No burst... poor agility.

Want a project on the cheap? Look at TCU's Noteboom.

So a guy who looks stiff at RT is going to do nicely at LT? :huh:

19 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

So a guy who looks stiff at RT is going to do nicely at LT? :huh:

Thus the term "fluidity"...

Archived