THE BROWNS BOARD

Trade for OBJ ?

Tiott

6 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Youre right, one is high maintenance, over priced transportation while the other will get you to all the same places while being more reliable and a higher value.  Glad we see eye to eye.

OBJ is of a different stratosphere of value compared to landry.   the thread is ridiculous the giants arent getting rid of beckham and if they did it wouldnt be to us, but OBJ is a top 3 reciever when healthy.  Jarvis Landry is not a top 20 reciever.  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Tacosman said:

OBJ is of a different stratosphere of value compared to landry.   the thread is ridiculous the giants arent getting rid of beckham and if they did it wouldnt be to us, but OBJ is a top 3 reciever when healthy.  Jarvis Landry is not a top 20 reciever.  

Right....Landry was the #1 receiver....in terms of receptions.......

• 2 weeks later...

He's a cancer. No thanks. Plus, how are the browns going to keep ALL 3 of those guys  happy? It's not possible. Plus, you have to pay them. So not only do you have to make a trade giving up big assets for him, but then you have to pay him at least $18mil/yr plus pay landry PLUS pay Gordon next year. Pass pas pass. 

Which means Dorsey will do it...He'll flip #1 for #2 and OBJ...just watch

OBJ makes no sense for us...

Has availability issues in addition to "me" issues.

Won't do anything for us in the next 3 years.

Won't be able to afford him in 4 years.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:40 PM, PoeticG said:

Whatever you say bro. We are taking him #1. 

My reading comprehension and response was accurately portrayed in my proposal. 

The hypothetical trade was for Corey Coleman and the 4th pick. 

Then take my $1 us bet. And when you lose you have to be known as "Barkley's bottom" henceforth. And for the Cal's of the board it will have to be made clear that that it is being used like the uh...pink team...would use it. 

On 3/13/2018 at 5:14 PM, The Gipper said:

I get the drift that you think the Barkley is the second coming.    But, if you DID bother, you would see that  Emmitt Kelly was a clown (an actual circus clown).

And SQB may actually BE the second coming of Ricky Bell:

Ricky Bell was the first overall draft choice in the 1977 NFL Draft, selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who were winless in their first season in 1976. Bell signed a five-year contract for a reported $1.2 million, by far the richest contract ever signed by an NFL rookie.[7][8][9][10] This draft choice was somewhat controversial because Tony Dorsett was being projected as an arguably better back than Bell.

Let me ask you a question.  Who had the better football "TEAM", Dallas or Tampa Bay?  Dallas of course.  The Bucs had the worst record in the league and having the best RB doesn't help, as a matter of fact, he wouldn't last.   I've read other post suggesting that if you draft the best RB, you're on your way to the SB.  I've always talked about having a good team to win.  This is why I always talked about all positions.  I'm about to rub a lot of people the wrong way with this statement.  Tom Brady is a much better QB than Joe Montana was.  Brady won SBs with no name players.  Joe Montana had household names around him always.  I can name all the players Joe had around him, but who did Brady have when he won the SB?  Ok board, let me have it. 

40 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

Let me ask you a question.  Who had the better football "TEAM", Dallas or Tampa Bay?  Dallas of course.  The Bucs had the worst record in the league and having the best RB doesn't help, as a matter of fact, he wouldn't last.   I've read other post suggesting that if you draft the best RB, you're on your way to the SB.  I've always talked about having a good team to win.  This is why I always talked about all positions.  I'm about to rub a lot of people the wrong way with this statement.  Tom Brady is a much better QB than Joe Montana was.  Brady won SBs with no name players.  Joe Montana had household names around him always.  I can name all the players Joe had around him, but who did Brady have when he won the SB?  Ok board, let me have it. 

A.  Other than Jerry Rice  and Ronnie Lott....Joe M. did not play with a lot of HOF players.   Compare that to some other dynasties, such as the 70s steelers,  60s Packers, 50s Browns....which each had 10-11 other HOF players on those teams. 

Besides, I don't think you can call Gronkowski a "no name player"....and a number of other TB has played with have had very big names. 

On the other matter....I think it was basically a fact that Dorsett was a better player than Ricky Bell....and I think that would have been true if their picks had been reversed.

This has always been an ongoing debate?   What if the Steelers had taken Mike Phipps #1  instead of Terry Bradshaw the same year?  Would that team still have been a dynasty with Mike Phipps?  Most doubt it.   Would the Browns have been much better with Terry Bradshaw?

The same for 1999......we picked Couch....instead of Donovan McNabb.    Would the Browns have been much better with him?   Would the Eagles have gone to like 4 NFC title games with Couch?

But....bottom line...you can debate between Joe Montana and Tom Brady all you want......Otto Graham was still better than both of them...:P

On 3/13/2018 at 7:12 PM, Tacosman said:

Landry not being a top 20 receiver is a hell of a stretch. Top ten? No probably not. 

On the radio today they were tossing around a swap of number one picks. With some other incentives. On the upside if they were hungry for a quarterback we weren't going to take at number 1 fine. On the downside he's a team cancer and wants a new deal which would be astronomical.

And still not Head and Shoulders, if anything at all, above Landry and Gordon.

WSS

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

A.  Other than Jerry Rice  and Ronnie Lott....Joe M. did not play with a lot of HOF players.   Compare that to some other dynasties, such as the 70s steelers,  60s Packers, 50s Browns....which each had 10-11 other HOF players on those teams. 

1982 - they only had about 3 HOF players: Ronnie Lott, Dwight Clark, Randy Cross

1985 - HOF Roger Craig, Fred Quinlan, Michael Carter, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson.  But they still had Ronnie Lott, Dwight Clark, Randy Cross and other good players

1989 - HOF Roger Craig, John Taylor, Jerry Rice, Guy McIntyer, Ronnie Lott, Mike Cofer.  But still had guys like Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Michael Carter, Charles Haley, Matt Millan, Kevin Fagen

1990 - HOF Jerry Rice, Charles Haley, Ronnie Lott, Guy McIntyre.  But still had Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Michael Carter, Matt Millan, John Taylor, Mike Cofer, Kevin Fagen

**** Now some of these guys were getting a little long in the tooth, but still good players. ***

And don't forget the 49ers had one of the best Olines/Dlines in the game.  Now there were times when the Oline broke down and Joe had to roll out of the pocket and do the infamous pump fake, then throw the ball his receiver.  But he just had too many weapons.

Besides, I don't think you can call Gronkowski a "no name player"....and a number of other TB has played with have had very big names. 

You're right, Brady did have a few good players.  Just not enough compared to Montana.  Besides, I was only comparing the two best QBs (at least by most).  I believe Montana is considered #1 and Brady #2.  

The other point I was trying to make is that the 77 Bucs had no roster compared to the 77 Cowboys.  They had the worst record in league, which explains why the Ricky Bell didn't have the stats.  Oline not very good either and other teams stacked the box.

This has always been an ongoing debate?   What if the Steelers had taken Mike Phipps #1  instead of Terry Bradshaw the same year?  Would that team still have been a dynasty with Mike Phipps?  Most doubt it.   Would the Browns have been much better with Terry Bradshaw?

The same for 1999......we picked Couch....instead of Donovan McNabb.    Would the Browns have been much better with him?   Would the Eagles have gone to like 4 NFC title games with Couch?

I might be one of very few that still believed that if Phily picked Couch and we had McNabb, Couch would have been the star.  We came back in 99 and had the worst roster in football.  Just my opinion.  

But....bottom line...you can debate between Joe Montana and Tom Brady all you want......Otto Graham was still better than both of them...:P

I have to admit, I didn't see Otto play.  But for the record, most still think Joe was #1 and Tom #2. 

And for the record, after we take Darnold or Allen at #1, I would rather take Chubb at #4 and go for another back in the 2nd round.  As good as Barclay is, we can find another good back in this draft.  But Chubb would create the much needed pass rush to make our D stellar right now. If Chubb is taken by the Giants, then we almost have to take Barclay. 

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

On the downside he's a team cancer and wants a new deal which would be astronomical.

He wants to be the highest paid non QB.  And he says he won't even play at all this year (the last year of his contract) if he doesn't get a new deal.   Does ANYBODY really want a guy like THAT on their team?   He's an a-hole.

45 minutes ago, Orion said:

He wants to be the highest paid non QB.  And he says he won't even play at all this year (the last year of his contract) if he doesn't get a new deal.   Does ANYBODY really want a guy like THAT on their team?   He's an a-hole.

That's my take away.

WSS

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

On the radio today they were tossing around a swap of number one picks. With some other incentives. On the upside if they were hungry for a quarterback we weren't going to take at number 1 fine. On the downside he's a team cancer and wants a new deal which would be astronomical.

WSS

Beckham’s much better than Landry. 

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Agreed Steve. 

35 minutes ago, wargograw said:

But much better than Gordon? Maybe, maybe not. OBJ is also demanding an Antonio Brown + cap busting contract. 2019, assuming Gordon returns to his pro bowl level, there's no way in hell we could pay Gordon, Landry and OBJ. 

Pre draft chatter that means exactly nothing...   

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Hell... he's talking $19mm a year. That's not affordable in the long run...

1 hour ago, wargograw said:

... and Gordon the 75% of the time OBJ gets on the field, but I still pass.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.....no, no, no....NO.

NO. 

First of all, I see this as a crap story anyway. The Cleveland Browns aren't going to trade for Odell Beckham. It's just not going to happen. Did we kick the tires? Maybe. But I don't see the actual player fitting in with our team. Sure, he's super talented, but he's also a tremendous pain in the neck. We don't seem to suffer those types, and we have Josh Gordon. Josh is a different kind of pain, and according to everyone on the team, is working on changing. We know all too well it's "day to day" with him, but we have our #1 WR, and we just need to pray for him to keep it together. 

I also don't feel like Tyrod is the type of QB that Odell would play well with anyway. Tyrod is known to bounce some passes to open guys, and I can see Odell throwing his hands up in frustration and being a baby. To be fair, Josh did that a few times, but I can hardly blame him. Josh did it when Kizer didn't even SEE him. I remember a crossing pattern when we had the ball 3rd and 8 or so at around our 15. Josh breaks open at full speed across the middle about 15 yards down field and would've run forever. I think we were down 3 at the time. Kizer bounced one into double coverage to the sidelines. 

Odell doesn't fit into our team. He'd be way too expensive. And frankly, I'm currently fine with our WRs (subject to change if Josh breaks my heart again). Guys, don't give up on Corey Coleman please. He had about as bad a start as a guy can get, and he's definitely made his own mistakes. But Corey didn't choose to break his hand twice or get to play with bozos at the WR and QB positions. Corey Coleman playing alongside Josh Gordon and Jarvis Landry is going to be a threat, I'm telling you guys. I'm talking 800 yards, 7 Tds, and some explosive plays. 

13 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

1982 - they only had about 3 HOF players: Ronnie Lott, Dwight Clark, Randy Cross

1985 - HOF Roger Craig, Fred Quinlan, Michael Carter, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson.  But they still had Ronnie Lott, Dwight Clark, Randy Cross and other good players

1989 - HOF Roger Craig, John Taylor, Jerry Rice, Guy McIntyer, Ronnie Lott, Mike Cofer.  But still had guys like Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Michael Carter, Charles Haley, Matt Millan, Kevin Fagen

1990 - HOF Jerry Rice, Charles Haley, Ronnie Lott, Guy McIntyre.  But still had Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Michael Carter, Matt Millan, John Taylor, Mike Cofer, Kevin Fagen

Sorry...but if you are implying that all the names you have given were HOF caliber, or even household names......they were not any more household names that the players the Pats have had over the years.   And as noted...ONLY Lott and Rice were HOF. The Pats had the likes of Moss, Welker, Bruski, Vrabel, Seymour, ..Gronkowski,  Terry Glenn, Troy Brown, Corey Dillon,  Logan Mankins, Matt Light, Vince Wilfork, Darrell Revis, LeGarret Blount  and others who are every bit as well known as these names.

And FYI....most of the guys you apparently say are HOF....are not:    Clark, Cross, Quinlan, Wright, Williamson, Carter, Craig, Taylor, McIntire, Cofer,   none are in HOF

And I would have to check on Haley.....but if he is, it is because he split duties with the 49ers and Cowboys.

32 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

1982 - they only had about 3 HOF players: Ronnie Lott, Dwight Clark, Randy Cross

1985 - HOF Roger Craig, Fred Quinlan, Michael Carter, Eric Wright, Carlton Williamson.  But they still had Ronnie Lott, Dwight Clark, Randy Cross and other good players

1989 - HOF Roger Craig, John Taylor, Jerry Rice, Guy McIntyer, Ronnie Lott, Mike Cofer.  But still had guys like Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Michael Carter, Charles Haley, Matt Millan, Kevin Fagen

1990 - HOF Jerry Rice, Charles Haley, Ronnie Lott, Guy McIntyre.  But still had Brent Jones, Tom Rathman, Michael Carter, Matt Millan, John Taylor, Mike Cofer, Kevin Fagen

Sorry...but if you are implying that all the names you have given were HOF caliber, or even household names......they were not any more household names that the players the Pats have had over the years.   And as noted...ONLY Lott and Rice were HOF. The Pats had the likes of Moss, Welker, Bruski, Vrabel, Seymour, ..Gronkowski,  Terry Glenn, Troy Brown, Corey Dillon,  Logan Mankins, Matt Light, Vince Wilfork, Darrell Revis, LeGarret Blount  and others who are every bit as well known as these names.

And FYI....most of the guys you apparently say are HOF....are not:    Clark, Cross, Quinlan, Wright, Williamson, Carter, Craig, Taylor, McIntire, Cofer,   none are in HOF

And I would have to check on Haley.....but if he is, it is because he split duties with the 49ers and Cowboys.

You're right.  The first ones were pro bowlers, my mistake.  But Charles Haley and Fred Dean were both HoFs.  And the Oline/Dlines were much better than what the Pats were dealing with.  

16 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

You're right.  The first ones were pro bowlers, my mistake.  But Charles Haley and Fred Dean were both HoFs.  And the Oline/Dlines were much better than what the Pats were dealing with.  

I don't think that is necessarily true.  Matt Light, Mankins, Nate Solder....They don't take a back seat to Randy Cross....and whoever else played on the 49ers OL.  I don't think.

... but apples are much better than oranges.

There's these Ambrosia apples that the local Sam's Club carries... outstanding!

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I don't think that is necessarily true.  Matt Light, Mankins, Nate Solder....They don't take a back seat to Randy Cross....and whoever else played on the 49ers OL.  I don't think.

Unfortunately teams from today can't go back to the eighties and play each other, so we'll never know.  It's like the argument of who was better between the 80's 49ers and the Steelers of the 70's. 

On 3/13/2018 at 4:56 PM, hoorta said:

We've been down this road before. Some pointed it out earlier in this thread. Even an upper echelon HOF running back can't win multiple Super Bowls by himself. Jim Brown=1, Walter Payton=1, Barry Sanders=0, Ladanian Tomlinson=0, Adrian Peterson=0. Some guys are making Saquon into a best version of all the previously mentioned- and he isn't. 

BTW, looking at the top 25 all time in rushing yardage only three (Brown, Payton, and Sanders) played their entire careers with one team. 

Well, its a good thing we have a future HOFer sitting on our bench right now. Hogan handing it off to Barkley will carry the Browns to multiple future SBs.

Archived