THE BROWNS BOARD

Greg Cosell Breaks Down Top 2018 QBs

Flugel

Here's a link to a 13 minute video where Nathan Zegura gets Greg Cosell to break down the top rated QBs headed for the 2018 draft from www.clevelandbrowns.com:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Greg-Cosell-breaks-down-QBs-in-the-2018-draft-class/e5e7dc40-a2e5-485b-bb4a-5afeff9829ff

I like to hear to what he's looking for in particular.  And somewhere around the 12 minute 50 sec mark or so - he reveals who he would take if pressed to do so. If you watch it, I'm interested in hearing what you thought or who you might be interested in (and you can do a 1A and 1B).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Here's a link to a 13 minute video where Nathan Zegura gets Greg Cosell to break down the top rated QBs headed for the 2018 draft from www.clevelandbrowns.com:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Greg-Cosell-breaks-down-QBs-in-the-2018-draft-class/e5e7dc40-a2e5-485b-bb4a-5afeff9829ff

I like to hear to what he's looking for in particular.  And somewhere around the 12 minute 50 sec mark or so - he reveals who he would take if pressed to do so. If you watch it, I'm interested in hearing what you thought or who you might be interested in (and you can do a 1A and 1B).

I wonder if our FO and scouting department come to an obvious consensus or if there's 2-3 guys they like.  If so, what does that do to who they take at #1?

guilty your mighty Zugura.sure i tweet you on Greg Cosell coming on your show. Cuz he's better than all the hacks & butchers you can find to talk QB's :P 1A)-Todd Haley has a frankenstein plan of getting Rosen's game in a Josh Allen Body.take Rosen.mean,While..1B) Dorsey & Jackson frolic around the room to there's No Place like homo Baker Mayfield..hell I don't get to vote but I thank Flug for digging this up..Greg Cosell knows his QB tape,thanks! Edit--Ok here's where I seperate. Rosen drops,sticks his back foot in ground & throws. With Mayfield, i see he hits his back foot & has to move again to throw..Take Rosen 

Love listening to Cosell. Very smart man and his pre draft evaluations on the Ross Tucker podcast over the years have come to fruition very often. I’m actually surprised he hasn’t been recruited into an nfl front office. 

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

You coming around to the potential of Rosen yet? 

There isn't anyone I'd rather listen to talk about football than Greg Cosell. The guy is great. 

He spoke to why I like Rosen - he is the most advanced QB in this draft playing from the construct of a play and the pocket. I still think this is key to a longterm successful QB. He like Mayfield more than I do, but I get why he likes him. He likes Darnold, but thinks he definitely needs to be coached well and strongly. Nails the conundrum that is Josh Allen - I love his thoughts on "arm strength vs arm talent". He has no doubt Allen has arm strength, but questions his arm talent, and his anticipation on throws. 

Allen will be "The Big Flop". He just can't make wide open passes. And the reason he won't "thread the needle" is because he will not throw those, he'll run.

I really do not want to be trading off a first rounder in 2019 because he was near identical to Sir Kaiser.

19 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I've always had Rosen in my top 3. To have him as our #1 in the draft?  It's going to seriously depend how much weight Dorsey & Company put on his injury history. Those two concussions scare me. Josh is also the least mobile compared to Darnold and Mayfield- he's going to get hit a lot in the pros. I've mentioned he has a tennis player build, do we take him at #1 and watch him turn into another Sam Bradford, great when he's healthy- except he never is?   

After listening to Cosell, I'm firming up my ranking #1 Mayfield, #2 Darnold, #3 Rosen. Just no to Allen and Jackson. 

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Allen will be "The Big Flop". He just can't make wide open passes. And the reason he won't "thread the needle" is because he will not throw those, he'll run.

I really do not want to be trading off a first rounder in 2019 because he was near identical to Sir Kaiser.

Cosell nailed it for me when he pointed out "there's a difference between "arm strength" and "arm talent". On that 1-10 scale pro evaluators use for arm strength, Allen probably rates 9+ (like Elway, one of my favorite observations on that is a scout said "he can throw the ball through a car wash, and it will come out dry on the other side". ) Arm talent? I'll give Josh  4 in that regard Ag.  As Greg said- some team is going to draft Allen "because he looks the part".  Sorry- this isn't a Beauty Pageant. 

Cal won't like it, but when a pro evaluator like Cosell says there's some similarities between Allen and Kizer (the guy we just shipped off to Green Bay) there's no reason to go to the same dry well twice in a row. Personality should only be a minor factor evaluating these guys.  :)   

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I've always had Rosen in my top 3. To have him as our #1 in the draft?  It's going to seriously depend how much weight Dorsey & Company put on his injury history. Those two concussions scare me. Josh is also the least mobile compared to Darnold and Mayfield- he's going to get hit a lot in the pros. I've mentioned he has a tennis player build, do we take him at #1 and watch him turn into another Sam Bradford, great when he's healthy- except he never is?   

After listening to Cosell, I'm firming up my ranking #1 Mayfield, #2 Darnold, #3 Rosen. Just no to Allen and Jackson. 

Medicals will be important. 

Imo he's mobile enough.  It's not like he can't improve pocket mobility/awareness,  his combine measurables were similar to Darnold and mayfield. He's plenty athletic. Mayfield and Darnold aren't significantly faster than Rosen. Rosen needs to be less willing to take hits to deliver passes than he was in college. 

The pure pocket passers seem to stay on the field more than the mobile ones. I think his game translates better to the NFL then the others. 

22 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Yes, believe it or not Tom.   I thought he did well for himself at the combines.  I liked that video you shared with all the nice throws he made that were dropped and the commentary was excellent.  I wouldn't have a problem with him at all if our FO came to the conclusion he's the guy. 

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Yes, believe it or not Tom.   I thought he did well for himself at the combines.  I liked that video you shared with all the nice throws he made that were dropped and the commentary was excellent.  I wouldn't have a problem with him at all if our FO came to the conclusion he's the guy. 

I think so too.  I just dread hearing "FROM PENN STATE...." at the #1 spot.  

7 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Medicals will be important. 

Imo he's mobile enough.  It's not like he can't improve pocket mobility/awareness,  his combine measurables were similar to Darnold and mayfield. He's plenty athletic. Mayfield and Darnold aren't significantly faster than Rosen. Rosen needs to be less willing to take hits to deliver passes than he was in college. 

The pure pocket passers seem to stay on the field more than the mobile ones. I think his game translates better to the NFL then the others. 

All of this is true. Though those concussions concern me. Couple that with Rosen being pretty wise for a young kid. He won’t be the guy turning his brain to paste for the love of the game.

4 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

All of this is true. Though those concussions concern me. Couple that with Rosen being pretty wise for a young kid. He won’t be the guy turning his brain to paste for the love of the game.

He's extremely smart. He can figure out how to succeed with his talent, and he can hopefully see the pieces falling into place, and if he's the "Chosen One" who can get them into the playoffs, he'll be established in NFL history as helping to turn this shitshow into a winner, and gets the keys to the city and gets that recognition from everyone about how he did what 25+ other have failed at. It's entirely possible. They gutted the team to make years like this possible. Best case, we get the Cowboys 1-15 type turn around with the #1 QB.

It's set in motion with getting the draft picks correct this year, and getting some big time free agents. They could possible get a QB, a RB, another edge rusher, and another play maker at WR in the first 2 rounds. I'm so pumped for the draft! 

Rosenbum is a cross between Matt Leinart, Matt Barkley and Jay Cutler.

That's the negatives of all three...

best mechanics. pure passer. no way he gets drafted by the Browns. They know better.

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Rosenbum is a cross between Matt Leinart, Matt Barkley and Jay Cutler.

That's the negatives of all three...

best mechanics. pure passer. no way he gets drafted by the Browns. They know better.

Yeah,  cuz they have a track record of genius moves in the draft.  Stellar record thus far,  especially at qb. They sure know what they're doing. 

That changes this year.  If they don't take him,  we'll get to see him again and again on the ESPN highlights,  and hear about "for some reason the Browns didn't want a top qb again" 

An accurate,  pro ready qb with a big arm,  who hits guys in stride, can read defenses,  and play under center.... And has Landry,  Gordon,  njoku,  Duke,  and Coleman to throw to. 

God forbid! Can't have that! 

1 hour ago, SD_Tom said:

Yeah,  cuz they have a track record of genius moves in the draft.  Stellar record thus far,  especially at qb. They sure know what they're doing. 

That changes this year.  If they don't take him,  we'll get to see him again and again on the ESPN highlights,  and hear about "for some reason the Browns didn't want a top qb again" 

An accurate,  pro ready qb with a big arm,  who hits guys in stride, can read defenses,  and play under center.... And has Landry,  Gordon,  njoku,  Duke,  and Coleman to throw to. 

God forbid! Can't have that! 

The concussions last year are my only concern.  

13 minutes ago, Mark O said:

The concussions last year are my only concern.  

Same here.

I wanted Rosen at #1 until I found out about the concussions.

Now, I'm all in on Baker Mayfield at #1.

13 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Same here.

I wanted Rosen at #1 until I found out about the concussions.

Now, I'm all in on Baker Mayfield at #1.

i am heading this way too I think, the Manziel comparisons are ridiculous

4 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

i am heading this way too I think, the Manziel comparisons are ridiculous

It's been pretty well documented the comparisons of Mayfield to Manziel are ridiculous. Sure he's a fiery competitor, and he had the one off field incident. But he's not a barfly like Manziel. a super hard worker instead, smart (if you saw his chalk talk with Marriucci), and the most accurate passer in this draft class. Those "weak arm" arguments have been proven to be BS. I'm seeing the second coming of Drew Brees.  

Well, I believe we are looking at Mayfield or Allen. Allen has a sky high upside, and will have plenty of time to

get his footwork perfected. And, Mayfield will have time to learn the game. All this talk about Mayfield's height -

does anybody not know that Brian Sipe was 6'1", 195 lbs?

Last year, there were 7 games, maybe 8, that they could have won with a field goal or a TD.

flip the talent switch hugely, add a very good OC, and watch the NFL be shocked at the difference.

18 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Well, I believe we are looking at Mayfield or Allen. Allen has a sky high upside

Based on what? 

You believe the Browns are looking at the two guys you like based exactly on what?

2 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Sipe didn't have guys like JJ watt and Joey bosa and myles Garrett lined up across from him either.  

Sipe retired like 35 years ago.

We aren't going to draft 250lb OLinemen because the Browns won a title in 1964 with them. 

Archived