THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

LondonBrown

6 hours ago, nickers said:

I keep saying to people that Baker Mayfields demeanor is much more serious than Johnny's... He just seems to really care about his craft.. so hes a little kocky.. you expect that from a youngster... Baker despite some of the little bit of negative press received, really doesnt concern me ... I think hes just a different mindset from JFF all together...

The difference is Baker Mayfield has a work ethic and cares about being a great QB, while Manziel had no work ethic and loved the limelight that came from being a big-shot QB, but didn't want to do the work to become a top QB in the NFL.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

This is essentially true.  We have researched this before.  The Big 12 was formed in 1994.  NO QB from the Big 12 since that time has ever won a playoff game.  A few have started....the best of the bunch has been Andy Dalton....who has lost 4 playoff games without winning one. 

But, sure, someday, some QB from the Big 12 is going to break that pattern.  It could be Mahomes, or Mayfield, or Rudolph....or who knows.

4 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

John Dorsey took that gamble last year with Mahomes.  I’m not a huge Mayfield fan, but if the FO thinks he’s the best QB available, they have to take him at 1

Watching Baker Mayfield pro day 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮. Looks like he’s auditioning for the new Karate Kid.   Gimmick just like Johnny Shmuckstain wearing a helmet at his pro day  LOL. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

7 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

Watching Baker Mayfield pro day 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮. Looks like he’s auditioning for the new Karate Kid.   Gimmick just like Johnny Shmuckstain wearing a helmet at his pro day  LOL. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

is anyone there from the Browns ?

On 3/10/2018 at 7:34 AM, LondonBrown said:

Clearly our FO don’t care about his height after the Taylor trade. 

Taylor will be the starter but one thing we know is that he gets hurt so the rookie we do draft is going to play at some point.

Could it be Baker? 

I think it very well could be... and I think he will be there at #4.

That said, if Dorsey & Co are sold on Baker, they need to take him at #1. You don't eff around when it comes to landing your next QB.

On 3/10/2018 at 10:35 AM, mjp28 said:

A few thoughts:

1. Who are the 2019 quarterback prospects, too early to guess on that?

2. A fair chance that the BROWNS will not be picking #1 maybe even 2, 3 who knows top 5 in 2019?

3. The loss of Kizer, even though some despised his play, did change the BROWNS quarterback succession plan. Maybe #4? R2? Build up maybe three candidates going forward.

Enquiring minds want to know!

The 2019 QB Class is not very sexy. I do really like one of its members tho... MSU's Nick Fitzgerald.

There are a couple decent prospects in the 2020 class that might well exit in 2019 including Oregon's Justin Herbert.

On 3/10/2018 at 11:52 AM, tiamat63 said:

Why would you draft a QB that has the exact same skill set (and lack of) that you just traded for?

For the sake of continuity. So that you can keep the playbook the same with expectations that the next guy will execute the plays with a similar degree of acumen as his predecessor. 

It just occurred to me to ask what top tier QB in this draft has a similar playing style to Taylor, who seems to have a sort of hustle and flow about his playing style from the clips l’ve seen.

On 3/14/2018 at 1:15 PM, syd said:

is anyone there from the Browns ?

Nope, but they were the only ones to go to Carson Wentz’ pro day.

I vaguely remember something being said about not a top 20 QB.

1 hour ago, syd said:

Dorsey and Jackson to attend Darnolds pro day

which is this hump day Wednesday the 21st (whew,the 22nd I turn into "Billy" goat day).. bah..even try to avoid #2pm pro day start times

WTF is "billy goat day"?

4 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

For the sake of continuity. So that you can keep the playbook the same with expectations that the next guy will execute the plays with a similar degree of acumen as his predecessor. 

It just occurred to me to ask what top tier QB in this draft has a similar playing style to Taylor, who seems to have a sort of hustle and flow about his playing style from the clips l’ve seen.

Not to mention the on-field mentorship that's lent by the similar styles...

Mayfield is one, but so is Darnold... who, Lord help us, I think is the one Dorsey's heart is set upon.

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

WTF is "billy goat day"?

spring your decoder ring forward 1 hour;)  there once was this GOAT that played QB at or with the A&M Aggies of Texas..Such lad was under so much stress he failed his secret double probation that he/she even bought a wig & went to Vegas under Code Name "Billy" at bar for a few drinks..I honored this kids white Jersey a few years ago today by dyeing it Green for beers poured on it today

22 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Please, Jesus... not him.  

On 3/17/2018 at 1:46 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

And how did you answer your own question?

Baker Mayfield is from the Big 12, but he was the QB that beat Ohio State's top tier defense.  In the loss against Georgia, he still threw for 287 yards and 2 TD to 1 interception. He has done very well against the competition he was given in college

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/baker-mayfield-1/gamelog/

while you can say that for all of the top-ranked QBs,  a big reason why I like Baker Mayfield the best is he doesn't have any one "obvious" red flag besides his height.  With Darnold (who I think the Browns will pick) the major issue I have with him is the amount of fumbles he has lost/long windup, and with Rosen it's the injury history/the fact he does not want to be here.  Cleveland QBs get hit a lot and I don't know if Rosen will survive if he is drafted here.  

Of course, my opinion doesn't mean anything and the Browns will do what the Browns do.  Can't' wait until actual football season starts again.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And how did you answer your own question?

I didn’t, but l think we’ve narrowed it down a bit. Either by design or circumstances the Browns seem to have landed a QB in Taylor who can pass a bit and run a bit. It’s now the second such instance we’ve seen since Kizer was in a similar mold, but he just didn’t seem to pass well. Third if you count the Manziel experiment.

So l’m just trying to identify a trend. 

I think it rules out a guy like Rosen, known more as a pocket guy. 

So far l’ve heard Mayfield and Darnold. 

On 3/17/2018 at 6:48 PM, Tour2ma said:

WTF is "billy goat day"?

Not to mention the on-field mentorship that's lent by the similar styles...

Mayfield is one, but so is Darnold... who, Lord help us, I think is the one Dorsey's heart is set upon.

LOL, I had pushed Billy "GOAT" Manziel Vegas escapade out of my memory.

I'm actually fine with either QB Tour, though I still have Mayfield as a slight favorite. The guys saying "all the top QB prospects have the same talent level" are missing the point. To me, it's like being a kid in a candy store or ice cream shop, what flavor do you like best? Vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? I hate mint so don't sell me that mint chocolate chip Allen or Jackson though.  :)   

I recommend folks go through and watch this to see how many times Mayfield is either A) Passing to his first read or B. It is a predetermined RB pass. 
The few times that the first read isn't open (very few; hats off the Oklahoma's OC and the talent around Mayfield), Mayfield scrambles or takes a sack. 

And your point is?   Is that good or bad?  Sounds like you are saying that he is poor in going through his progressions (at least in this game...which was a very good game for him).

In comparison to Barkley and Darnold......Mayfield killed it vs. OSU......     Where OSU killed those other guys. 

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I recommend folks go through and watch this to see how many times Mayfield is either A) Passing to his first read or B. It is a predetermined RB pass. 
The few times that the first read isn't open (very few; hats off the Oklahoma's OC and the talent around Mayfield), Mayfield scrambles or takes a sack. 

And your point is?   Is that good or bad?  Sounds like you are saying that he is poor in going through his progressions (at least in this game...which was a very good game for him).

In comparison to Barkley and Darnold......Mayfield killed it vs. OSU......     Where OSU killed those other guys. 

I am saying that I am not seeing him going through progressions rarely if at all. He is throwing to wide open guys on first reads. It would be more of an endorsement of Mayfield's supporting cast than Mayfield himself. It would also explain the inflated numbers.

42 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I am saying that I am not seeing him going through progressions rarely if at all. He is throwing to wide open guys on first reads. It would be more of an endorsement of Mayfield's supporting cast than Mayfield himself. It would also explain the inflated numbers.

Point is————- Mayfield BLOWS 

3 hours ago, Browns1216 said:

... he doesn't have any one "obvious" red flag besides his height. 

Of course that's a sizeable shortcoming to so readily dismiss.

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

But that's the Offense... my only add to your description is the number of times he locks onto his primary until he clears before he goes into scramble mode.

If he were making the pre-snap read to get to the right target, then I'd have less apprehension, but OU is one of the new breed, "everyone-on-offense-look-to-the-sideline-to-see-what-oversized-posterbaords-are-being-held-up-to tell-us-what-to-do" Offenses that are killing the college game's value as a "QB developmental league".

Still... despite all that... he settled in as my 2nd choice... a distant 2nd choice, but a 2nd choice nonetheless.

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I’ll admit, l’m leaning towards Mayfield. If you are looking for ammo to to back people off the Mayfield ledge, you did a piss poor job by posting this video. 

I watched it. I took notes, and l was impressed by his performance.

:50 l saw 3 reads.

1:30 he has 3 receivers in one area of the field. A camera doesn’t pick up the pupils dialating.

next play: buying time with his feet, got a PI call. Would you prefer a sack?

2:20 I saw 2 reads.

3:18 got sacked, but l saw him scanning the field like a mofo.

4:05 more scanning the field while scrambling.

4:35 designed toss to the RB, but he looks upfield before he swings it to the RB.

5:00 more field scanning but he ultimately runs for it. 

6:10 from his own endzone found an open guy on the second read.

next play can see him look for a couple options.

7:00 looks for a couple options and ultimately buys a PI call.

7:20 looks for a second option.

I also was generally impressed with his fake handoffs. He also does this shimmy shimmy thing with his shoulders, especially with designed tosses to the RBs that l think helps create space and time for the receiver to gain YAC. I like the guy.

33 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’ll admit, l’m leaning towards Mayfield. If you are looking for ammo to to back people off the Mayfield ledge, you did a piss poor job by posting this video. 

I watched it. I took notes, and l was impressed by his performance.

:50 l saw 3 reads.

1:30 he has 3 receivers in one area of the field. A camera doesn’t pick up the pupils dialating.

next play: buying time with his feet, got a PI call. Would you prefer a sack?

2:20 I saw 2 reads.

3:18 got sacked, but l saw him scanning the field like a mofo.

4:05 more scanning the field while scrambling.

4:35 designed toss to the RB, but he looks upfield before he swings it to the RB.

5:00 more field scanning but he ultimately runs for it. 

6:10 from his own endzone found an open guy on the second read.

next play can see him look for a couple options.

7:00 looks for a couple options and ultimately buys a PI call.

7:20 looks for a second option.

I also was generally impressed with his fake handoffs. He also does this shimmy shimmy thing with his shoulders, especially with designed tosses to the RBs that l think helps create space and time for the receiver to gain YAC. I like the guy.

I don’t have any idea how you watched that and came to those conclusions.

That said, you are referring to a few moments in an 8 minute cutup. I didn’t imply that he didn’t make any progressions at all. They are few and far between.

I would also check into the Georgia game. They started taking away the first option then contained him to the pocket. Two totally different Mayfields after Georgia started doing this. 

46 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

But that's the Offense... my only add to your description is the number of times he locks onto his primary until he clears before he goes into scramble mode.

If he were making the pre-snap read to get to the right target, then I'd have less apprehension, but OU is one of the new breed, "everyone-on-offense-look-to-the-sideline-to-see-what-oversized-posterbaords-are-being-held-up-to tell-us-what-to-do" Offenses that are killing the college game's value as a "QB developmental league".

Still... despite all that... he settled in as my 2nd choice... a distant 2nd choice, but a 2nd choice nonetheless.

I would be fully on board with Rosen if the concussion history wasn’t there. I worry that it will only get worse.

As for Mayfield, I see a lot of wide open passes which produces the crazy numbers that some people here are bananas over. I know you don’t fall into that trap. I just don’t know how anyone can gauge how good he is given the offense he is coming out of. 

Archived