THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

LondonBrown

Clearly our FO don’t care about his height after the Taylor trade. 

Taylor will be the starter but one thing we know is that he gets hurt so the rookie we do draft is going to play at some point.

Could it be Baker? 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dorsey can now roll the dice that Mayfield gets to #4..Mayfield should still be there at #4..Barkley is gone at #1 while Giants & Colts sweat bullets..By chance if Mayfield is gone at #4? It's not the worst thing that could happen now with Tyrod in place..Am not sold on Mayfield in the pros..but Dorsey drives that truck

The Browns needed a bridge QB, a guy who can start for (hopefully) as long next season that the Browns feel is needed to get their rookie QB up to speed. (Might be entire season?)

I think there might be too much read into Taylor's size or playing style. I don't see him being some clue to what the Browns QB of the future will be. 

I mean, what about Alex Smith reminds anyone of Pat Mahomes?

A few thoughts:

1. Who are the 2019 quarterback prospects, too early to guess on that?

2. A fair chance that the BROWNS will not be picking #1 maybe even 2, 3 who knows top 5 in 2019?

3. The loss of Kizer, even though some despised his play, did change the BROWNS quarterback succession plan. Maybe #4? R2? Build up maybe three candidates going forward.

Enquiring minds want to know!

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Dorsey can now roll the dice that Mayfield gets to #4..he should..Barkley is gone at #1 while Giants & Colts sweat bullets..By chance if Mayfield is gone at #4? It's not the worst thing that could happen now with Tyrod in place..Am not sold on Mayfield in the pros..but Dorsey drives that truck

Or Jackson in the second round

:unsure:

WSS

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

if they take Jackson in the 2nd round , I'll puke!

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

remember, your fingers are a weapon that make beautiful music..did you type this with your feet?:lol:

1 minute ago, syd said:

one of Taylor best traits is not turning the ball over so who would learn the most from him that's right are #1 overall pick  Darnold

I posted this once and I feel nobody is addressing it - when you have a coaching staff that actively limits opening up the passing game, leaving you with 2 &3 man patterns and going with a far more conservative approach, that tends to lend itself to not turning the ball over.     

Tyrod throwing only 4 INTS all year isn't necessarily something to be celebrated like it's an offensive marvel.  He's not a QB that routinely drives the ball downfield.   

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I posted this once and I feel nobody is addressing it - when you have a coaching staff that actively limits opening up the passing game, leaving you with 2 &3 man patterns and going with a far more conservative approach, that tends to lend itself to not turning the ball over.     

Tyrod throwing only 4 INTS all year isn't necessarily something to be celebrated like it's an offensive marvel.  He's not a QB that routinely drives the ball downfield.   

who were Taylors supporting cast in buffalo ?  where here he will have Landry and Gordon should change his downfield approach 

46 minutes ago, syd said:

who were Taylors supporting cast in buffalo ?  where here he will have Landry and Gordon should change his downfield approach 

jarvis landry doesnt get downfield.

Also, taylor actually throws a very good deep ball.  It's one of his strengths

4 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Clearly our FO don’t care about his height after the Taylor trade. 

Taylor will be the starter but one thing we know is that he gets hurt so the rookie we do draft is going to play at some point.

Could it be Baker? 

I think you have a point.   Let's put it this way.....this seems at least to not eliminate him as a possible choice, even if it does not make him the favorite.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Why would you draft a QB that has the exact same skill set (and lack of) that you just traded for?

Contrarily....why would you draft a QB with the exact same skill set you traded away

Meaning of course.....that chances of taking Allen drop precipitously.

Fair to say?

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Contrarily....why would you draft a QB with the exact same skill set you traded away

Meaning of course.....that chances of taking Allen drop precipitously.

Fair to say?

A lot of those QB variables age, experience, skill set, size, team chemistry, salary, room for growth, etc. I don't really ever paying more attention to the next BROWNS quarterback(s) as this year.

IMO, Mayfield poses JUST THE SLIGHTEST risk of the Manziel type.....and I just don't think the organization (Jimmuh & Dee included) wants anything to do with ANY risk of that at all.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

IMO, Mayfield poses JUST THE SLIGHTEST risk of the Manziel type.....and I just don't think the organization (Jimmuh & Dee included) wants anything to do with ANY risk of that at all.

I think Mayfield is a bit of an immature frat bro. 

But I don't think his personality/character will torpedo his future like Mayfield. (I do, though, think opposing defenses are going to go out of their way to go after Mayfield to put him in his place, like Manziel was treated by opposing defensive players) That's the difference between the two, IMO. Mayfield's personality doesn't seem self-destructive, just immature that could cause the team he plays for PR headaches.

My issue with Mayfield is his height and what conference he played in. A 6' tall QB from the pinball stats conference is a HUGE risk at #1 or #4 overall. 

Tyrod size isn't an issue, he is a proven commodity, thats what they traded for, not for how hard he can through the tall or how tall he is. And his lack of turnover is an important factor. It maybe that he doesn't drive the ball down field a bunch or whatever, but Tyrod is here to keep the seat warm, not start for the next decade. He is here most likely for one year and then gone. His job will be to keep the team in the game and not kill them with turnovers.

2 hours ago, runyon27 said:

Tyrod size isn't an issue, he is a proven commodity, thats what they traded for, not for how hard he can through the tall or how tall he is. And his lack of turnover is an important factor. It maybe that he doesn't drive the ball down field a bunch or whatever, but Tyrod is here to keep the seat warm, not start for the next decade. He is here most likely for one year and then gone. His job will be to keep the team in the game and not kill them with turnovers.

And I for one think he has an even chance to actually be the franchise QB the Browns have been searching for if we just keep building that defense up to the level of the Seattle and Denver SB winners. Many a game is determined not on sacks, but turnover differences.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

(I do, though, think opposing defenses are going to go out of their way to go after Mayfield to put him in his place, like Manziel was treated by opposing defensive players)

Hell...Bitonio let his man walk right on in to Manziel once.  Everybody except Josh Gordon hated him.

I don't think Mayfield will be anything like THAT...but they have the first pick in the draft and don't have to take any chances.  -- He's an accurate thrower though.  That makes up for a lot of sins.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Hell...Bitonio let his man walk right on in to Manziel once.  Everybody except Josh Gordon hated him.

I don't think Mayfield will be anything like THAT...but they have the first pick in the draft and don't have to take any chances.  -- He's an accurate thrower though.  That makes up for a lot of sins.

All I ever was told was how Manziel's teammates loved him at Texas A&M too... :lol:

I'm actually very interested in seeing Mayfield in the NFL, but I'll be honest, there's no way I would have the stones to draft him in the top 4 overall picks. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

All I ever was told was how Manziel's teammates loved him at Texas A&M too... :lol:

I'm actually very interested in seeing Mayfield in the NFL, but I'll be honest, there's no way I would have the stones to draft him in the top 4 overall picks. 

Because when Johnny went to party with the A&M team- all the drinks were on him....  :)

I really don't have any problem with Mayfield at #1 or #4.  

Just now, hoorta said:

Because when Johnny went to party with the A&M team- all the drinks were on him....  :)

I really don't have any problem with Mayfield at #1 or #4.  

A 6'0 tall QB from the Big 12... no problems at all?

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A 6'0 tall QB from the Big 12... no problems at all?

We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

I keep saying to people that Baker Mayfields demeanor is much more serious than Johnny's... He just seems to really care about his craft.. so hes a little kocky.. you expect that from a youngster... Baker despite some of the little bit of negative press received, really doesnt concern me ... I think hes just a different mindset from JFF all together...

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

We've already hashed this to death- you have to look at the player, not the conference. If Dorsey is OK with 6'0" Tyrod Taylor- think 6'0" height is an issue with Dorsey? 

Mayfield would be the first QB from his conference to amount to anything at the NFL level coupled with height issues. Big 12 QBs put up video game numbers and it ends there for them.

I don’t want the Browns to be the team crossing their fingers that Mayfield becomes the one outlier.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

There is a world of difference between a one-year bridge QB - and what you'll use to fill that spot - and using the #1 or #4 overall pick on a guy you would think of as a franchise QB for the next decade. 

Archived