THE BROWNS BOARD

Tyrod from a Bills Fan's Perspective

BillsFanSayingHi

I'm sure the last couple days have been unexpectedly exciting for Browns fans and you're wondering just how good your newly acquired players can be. As a Bills fan, I've watched every game Tyrod has played in the NFL and I think you just got one hell of a player at a pretty fair price. Here's a couple of my thoughts on Tyrod:

Tyrod is currently the most athletic quarterback in the NFL (though Lamar Jackson could challenge him for that spot soon). He evades pressure and make plays with his legs when his receivers are covered, but he doesn't always keep his eyes downfield. There will be times when a sack seems iminent, but Tyrod will duck under the tackle, roll out and deliver a strike for a first down. He has an excellent deep ball, but has had no viable deep threats with Marquise Goodwin and Sammie Watkins gone. Last year he had the worst receiving corps in the entire league. An injured Jordan Matthews was our most dependable wr and they only had Kelvin Benjamin for six games. With receivers constantly struggling to get open he performed well enough for us to win games and rarely turns the ball over. 

Tyrod is only about 6'0 and may struggle to see the middle of the field while in the pocket. He has fairly good accuracy, but his ball placement isn't great. He plays best when surrounded by speed receivers who can get separation and run under deep balls. He runs the play action very well and is a threat to run on every play. He will not pass for 300 yards every game and it won't always be pretty, but  he can grind out wins. I'm Hue Jackson can work with his limitations better than our coaching staff has.

I assume that the Browns front office plans to take a quarterback at #1 or #4 and have Tyrod simply be a stop-gap, but he can thrive with talent around him and an offensive coordinator who is willing to design the offense around his skill-set. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BillsFanSayingHi said:

I'm sure the last couple days have been unexpectedly exciting for Browns fans and you're wondering just how good your newly acquired players can be. As a Bills fan, I've watched every game Tyrod has played in the NFL and I think you just got one hell of a player at a pretty fair price. Here's a couple of my thoughts on Tyrod:

Tyrod is currently the most athletic quarterback in the NFL (though Lamar Jackson could challenge him for that spot soon). He evades pressure and make plays with his legs when his receivers are covered, but he doesn't always keep his eyes downfield. There will be times when a sack seems iminent, but Tyrod will duck under the tackle, roll out and deliver a strike for a first down. He has an excellent deep ball, but has had no viable deep threats with Marquise Goodwin and Sammie Watkins gone. Last year he had the worst receiving corps in the entire league. An injured Jordan Matthews was our most dependable wr and they only had Kelvin Benjamin for six games. With receivers constantly struggling to get open he performed well enough for us to win games and rarely turns the ball over. 

Tyrod is only about 6'0 and may struggle to see the middle of the field while in the pocket. He has fairly good accuracy, but his ball placement isn't great. He plays best when surrounded by speed receivers who can get separation and run under deep balls. He runs the play action very well and is a threat to run on every play. He will not pass for 300 yards every game and it won't always be pretty, but  he can grind out wins. I'm Hue Jackson can work with his limitations better than our coaching staff has.

I assume that the Browns front office plans to take a quarterback at #1 or #4 and have Tyrod simply be a stop-gap, but he can thrive with talent around him and an offensive coordinator who is willing to design the offense around his skill-set. 

Appreciate you weighing in on a guy you've watched play every single week.  A lot of his new critics haven't seen nearly that volume of him throughout all of the roster changes in Buffalo.

If we could combine Taylor's elusiveness and foot speed with Mayfield's accuracy - we might have a Russell Wilson equivalent.  Only this time, we'll have to land such a QB at #1 or #4 as opposed to Seattle striking oil in round 3 Jed Clampett style (after giving Matt Flynn starter cake in free agency). Coincidentally, it's looking like we might be able to have both QBs on our roster.  Before I hear all the stereotypes of short QBs don't work - Wilson got stereotyped into the ole "short QB" category.  The taker who thought they had nothing to lose after securing their FA QB - was rewarded way more than the teams that drafted RG3&Out, Tannehill, and Weeden ahead of him.  Wilson had a killer good completion % at Wisconsin and did a lot of things well, inclusive of winning frequently.  

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Appreciate you weighing in on a guy you've watched play every single week.  A lot of his new critics haven't seen nearly that volume of him throughout all of the roster changes in Buffalo.

If we could combine Taylor's elusiveness and foot speed with Mayfield's accuracy - we might have a Russell Wilson equivalent.  Only this time, we'll have to land such a QB at #1 or #4 as opposed to Seattle striking oil in round 3 Jed Clampett style (after giving Matt Flynn starter cake in free agency). Coincidentally, it's looking like we might be able to have both QBs on our roster.  Before I hear all the stereotypes of short QBs don't work - Wilson got stereotyped into the ole "short QB" category.  The taker who thought they had nothing to lose after securing their FA QB - was rewarded way more than the teams that drafted RG3&Out, Tannehill, and Weeden ahead of him.  Wilson had a killer good completion % at Wisconsin and did a lot of things well, inclusive of winning frequently.  

Gee...I am wondering if getting a 6'0"   bridge QB is a portent to selecting a 6'0"   QB in the draft?

10 hours ago, BillsFanSayingHi said:

Thanks for letting us know he's another Black Tarkenton run first QB... Just what we don't need.

1 minute ago, syd said:

he's just a bridge man

I don't give a fuk what he is.. He blows...

58 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Gee...I am wondering if getting a 6'0"   bridge QB is a portent to selecting a 6'0"   QB in the draft?

Maybe sometimes there is too much emphasis put on the 6' quarterbacks good or bad -but- naturally I'd rather start with a 6' 5" prototype if possible. 

This 2018 quarterback class still doesn't do much for me.......oh I already said that. :lol:

46 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Maybe sometimes there is too much emphasis put on the 6' quarterbacks good or bad -but- naturally I'd rather start with a 6' 5" prototype if possible. 

This 2018 quarterback class still doesn't do much for me.......oh I already said that. :lol:

:lol:

beating-a-dead-horse-gif-4.gif

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Drafting a quarterback in the top 5 to match up well with the bum you just got from the scrapheap (but paid a high price for) is like buying a brand new car because it matches the seat covers in your old beater.

WSS

Not that I think Taylor's a bum ...

But I agree the idea of quarterback "pairings" is stupid.

Signing Taylor doesn't mean we are drafting Mayfield. It means he found him to be the best available bridge QB.

I'm pretty sure Todd Haley can draw gameplans for big strong-armed QBs too.

Zombo

43 minutes ago, nickers said:

If the browns draft Lamar Jackson, they are stupid fools...

And Jackson isn't getting drafted in the top 5. :) My current take NIckers. With the moves Dorsey made, (picking up a WR, and CB) besides Taylor. It looks pretty clear QB #1, and hope Chubb is there at #4. If  it looks like the Colts are going to take him, flip 4 and 3, give Indy the #35. We might not even have to if the Broncos or Jets trade up with the Colts- because they sure as hell aren't doing it to take a defensive player. We'll take Crow's replacement at the top of the second. I have doubts Dorsey would value Saquon over a top edge rusher, they way he looks at running back value. 

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

And Jackson isn't getting drafted in the top 5. :) My current take NIckers. With the moves Dorsey made, (picking up a WR, and CB) besides Taylor. It looks pretty clear QB #1, and hope Chubb is there at #4. If  it looks like the Colts are going to take him, flip 4 and 3, give Indy the #35. We might not even have to if the Broncos or Jets trade up with the Colts- because they sure as hell aren't doing it to take a defensive player. We'll take Crow's replacement at the top of the second. I have doubts Dorsey would value Saquon over a top edge rusher, they way he looks a running back value. 

I agree with you. I'm starting to think Mayfield or Allen #1 and then Barkley, Chubb, Minkah, or Ward 4th. I appreciate you checking out the article. I'm not a Browns fan, but I think you guys are set up for a great run with so many picks. For what it's worth, I loved your 3 other trades even though I didn't like the Tyrod deal.

22 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

I'm liking Chubb at #4 more and more.  Him,  Garrett,  ogunjobi,  Brantley,  Coley,  and whatever other rookie or free agents they get...  now you can get some pressure on the qb 

He'll be gone already.

21 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

To who? If we take QB at 1.... either #2 or #3 will take a QB, or trade away the pick for another team to get a QB, or they'll take Saquon.

At this pace this board thinks that roughly 30 players are guaranteed to be gone by the time the Browns are on the clock at #4. :lol:

What if the plan has Buffalo on the line to trade 21 and 22 and.....for the 4 pick and draft a LT,CB, RB,or LB at 21 & 22

Things that make you go HMMMMMM!!!

GO BROWNS!!!

51 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

To who? If we take QB at 1.... either #2 or #3 will take a QB, or trade away the pick for another team to get a QB, or they'll take Saquon.

29 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

At this pace this board thinks that roughly 30 players are guaranteed to be gone by the time the Browns are on the clock at #4. :lol:

We will find out if he is gone next Saturday when the real draft starts..... :)

3 hours ago, BrownsnMopar said:

What if the plan has Buffalo on the line to trade 21 and 22

Can we please stay away from pick #22?

Odds are either Chubb or Barkley will be there at 4.  (If NY takes a QB or someone trades up for one)

9 hours ago, nickers said:

If the browns draft Lamar Jackson, they are stupid fools...

No matter who the Browns draft, they are stupid fools. This is already etched in stone.

Archived