THE BROWNS BOARD

Dorsey Taking Charge

Suomi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Yep....but the one fix he had no authority to do was to pick his own HC.   But I think that will be something he will be allowed to address come some point in the season where Dorsey will see that no amount of personell upgrades will make up for Hue's poor coaching.  But....maybe it will work out, now that Haley is here as OC....and Hue's effect on this team will be minimalized.

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yep....but the one fix he had no authority to do was to pick his own HC.   But I think that will be something he will be allowed to address come some point in the season where Dorsey will see that no amount of personell upgrades will make up for Hue's poor coaching.  But....maybe it will work out, now that Haley is here as OC....and Hue's effect on this team will be minimalized.

Well, as the article said- if McCarron was Hue's guy, Dorsey told him to frack off over that idea. 

In a mild adios to Sashi he did do a few (and far too few) good things but not nearly enough to make up for the massive blunders. The botched McCarron deal- which in hindsight was a good thing giving up WAY too much for AJ, and bringing in Zeitler and Tretter. 

And we do have a few playmakers- Garrett was a no brainer- a monkey suffering from Alzheimer's could have got that one right, and Bringing in Collins.  

Agree Gip..This team came out early so unprepared of a Offensive game plan, prepared from your opponents game tape. Preparation,Scheme & team disapline. Jackson has no place to hide behind any of it anymore..Hopefully including Haslam..

10 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Well, as the article said- if McCarron was Hue's guy, Dorsey told him to frack off over that idea. 

In a mild adios to Sashi he did do a few (and far too few) good things but not nearly enough to make up for the massive blunders. The botched McCarron deal- which in hindsight was a good thing giving up WAY too much for AJ, and bringing in Zeitler and Tretter. 

And we do have a few playmakers- Garrett was a no brainer- a monkey suffering from Alzheimer's could have got that one right, and Bringing in Collins.  

Of course....some of us still say that Trubisky may have been a better choice!!  :ph34r:B):lol:

1 hour ago, darren15 said:

LA @TheRealLA__ 47m47 minutes ago

Browns made 4 deals, missed on 3 deals, still trying to make a couple others ---- they're being as aggressive as I can remember

ya gotta think they know what JT's plan is by now? regardless, the 2 top draft picks have to factor in as well. we still need help at CB,S,DE with pass rush ability & vet DT..am hearing DE Vinny Curry maybe out at Eagles..am in for losing a pick.DE has a boatload of options in FA's. D.Poe,S.Richardson,David Irving even Daquan Jones from Titans could all play Williams DT cause were in nickle 60% of the time anyway (4-2-5).Poe played 3-4 at KC than 4-3 at Atlanta..the space eater factor is all that matters up front regardless how teams line up. 

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What are these 3 deals that you say they missed on?

Three at least come to mind. I thought Danny Shelton was it worthwhile player especially in light of the Improvement of the run defense this past year and I thought it was too early to dump DeShone Kizer.

And Taylor sucks and any bridge would have served as well and a lot less cost.

WSS

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Two at least come to mind. I thought Danny Shelton was it worthwhile player especially in light of the Improvement of the run defense this past year and I thought it was too early to dump DeShone Kizer.

WSS

What I thought he meant was that there were 3 other trades that were possibly proposed that were not done.

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Two at least come to mind. I thought Danny Shelton was it worthwhile player especially in light of the Improvement of the run defense this past year and I thought it was too early to dump DeShone Kizer.

WSS

I'm still thinking Chubb is in this mix somehow. Run stopper who can also get to the QB.

To Dorsey in charge  - So far, he's doing something very positive.  He's single handedly changing the team culture.

He's come to a team finishing a zero win season and at the depths of it's popularity.  Like us, he KNEW that he couldn't lure a FA here...to a team with no QB and no credible receivers.  But he recognized that he had all these draft picks...and the youngest team in the league...so he TRADED some of 'em for a QB and a Receiver (& DB).  He has shown the FA market that he now HAS a QB that you can win some games with, and he got him some help in the slot, all the while having the #1 & 4 selections in the draft and knowing that the best QB in this draft class will be joining the team along with you. -  now...a FA might ask his agent, "How much was Cleveland offering again?"

I love it.  Dorsey to himself, "If I can't lure you here, I'll trade for your-butt and bring you in kicking and scratching."  

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What are these 3 deals that you say they missed on?

LOL Gip classified information. We'll never know. 

Form your own opinon:   https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/12/17103704/2018-nfl-free-agent-grades-trades-offseason-moves

Guess? Going back to missing on Alex Smith, and not getting Cordy Glenn if Joe has told them he's retiring.....   That's two......  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

To Dorsey in charge  - So far, he's doing something very positive.  He's single handedly changing the team culture.

And it wasn't that long ago that he made some people cry when he said the 1-31 team didn't have any 'real players'.........

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Form your own opinon:   https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/12/17103704/2018-nfl-free-agent-grades-trades-offseason-moves

Guess? Going back to missing on Alex Smith, and not getting Cordy Glenn if Joe has told them he's retiring.....   That's two......  

get the feeling Dorsey got torked off Alex Smith got done so early..he, don't get fooled again..rolled up the sleeves Friday, "Coffee Fetter,get me a beer,were going roster cut shopping".. than we get to FA Wednesday 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

OK, I was just thinking in the last few days.   But Smith would apply.    I guess, sorta, maybe so would Jimmy Garrapolo...but that deal was done before Dorsey got here, I believe.

Taking charge? Sure... if spending money is "taking charge". And to make his trades look good, he's going to have to spend more... a lot more.

Right now he has:

• a journeyman QB on a one-year deal,
  • a slot receiver on a one year deal, and
  • a FS candidate on a one-year deal.

I could care less about locking up Tyrod. Our future QB is not yet on the roster and if he takes more than a year to develop, then we took the wrong prospect.

Landry is a different story. He's a high quality slot WR that can be a definite piece of our future... but it's going to cost a lot to extend him. He's a durable WR who may be more than willing to bet on himself and play out the tag.

Randall... potentially the best move to date. Kizer had no future in CLE, and while his value might have increased with time and development, it might not have. By all accounts Damarious is a good CB and an even better FS candidate. Our GB imports are no doubt responsible for this move. It did not hurt that they even came with the knowledge that Kizer was well regarded by GB in last year's draft and was in the discussion for use of the 33rd pick. Randall is probably the most sure to sign an extension.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Taking charge? Sure... if spending money is "taking charge". And to make his trades look good, he's going to have to spend more... a lot more.

Right now he has:

I could care less about locking up Tyrod. Our future QB is not yet on the roster and if he takes more than a year to develop, then we took the wrong prospect.

Landry is a different story. He's a high quality slot WR that can be a definite piece of our future... but it's going to cost a lot to extend him. He's a durable WR who may be more than willing to bet on himself and play out the tag.

Randall... potentially the best move to date. Kizer had no future in CLE, and while his value might have increased with time and development, it might not have. By all accounts Damarious is a good CB and an even better FS candidate. Our GB imports are no doubt responsible for this move. It did not hurt that they even came with the knowledge that Kizer was well regarded by GB in last year's draft and was in the discussion for use of the 33rd pick. Randall is probably the most sure to sign an extension.

But is that all bad? We still have a ton of cap room. Regarding Landry- I'll take the NFL's best slot receiver over a 4th round pick anytime. So we may have overpaid a bit for Taylor, but we still have our top 5 picks. Not that much difference between #64 and #65.   

And don't get mad at Dorsey. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Sashi and crew would have passed on Landry- Taco posted the analytics. 

15 minutes ago, D Bone said:

T does a rare flyby and drops pesticide all over us.......... 

Where's Mudfly or Soju when you need a downer?  I'm more optimistic than I've been in years...   

23 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Where's Mudfly or Soju when you need a downer?  I'm more optimistic than I've been in years...   

I'm feeling pretty good myself...... Looking forward to seeing what rounds 1 and 2 bring us.  

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

T does a rare flyby and drops pesticide all over us.......... 

Well.... I did make pesticides for a living.

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

But is that all bad? We still have a ton of cap room. Regarding Landry- I'll take the NFL's best slot receiver over a 4th round pick anytime. So we may have overpaid a bit for Taylor, but we still have our top 5 picks. Not that much difference between #64 and #65.   

And don't get mad at Dorsey. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Sashi and crew would have passed on Landry- Taco posted the analytics. 

lol... you have no clue what Sashi would have done. As for Dorsey, who is now the GM by the way and therefore the one to discuss, you conveniently missed my point.

His three splash signings so far are currently all one-year rentals.

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Right now he has:

This evening the role of Soju will be played by Tour2ma.

26 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

three splash signings so far are currently all one-year rentals.

...there is that.  But I'm thinking that his QB for beyond this year cannot be announced for a month or so.  TieRodEnd is probably a pretty good TieOver.  Like Buffalo, I wouldn't want him as my QB of the future.  One of the knocks on Tyrod is that he won't throw his receiver open.  He waits until they've made their move and show separation...and sometimes ya can't wait that long.  (supposedly drives his receivers nuts)  But it's the reason that he doesn't throw so many INT's.  

He's obviously crated work for himself for this coming year as far as resigning the one year guys.....if he deems they're worthy.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Well.... I did make pesticides for a living.

lol... you have no clue what Sashi would have done. As for Dorsey, who is now the GM by the way and therefore the one to discuss, you conveniently missed my point.

His three splash signings so far are currently all one-year rentals.

Sometime, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away- Jimmy H had no confidence in Sashi to get it right this year.  :) As far as one year rent a players- if they produce- we still have plenty of loot (about $80 million worth) to sign them to long term deals.   https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/  I sort of like the idea of taking that Lexus slot receiver out on a one year test drive. What? No confidence we can't get Darnold or Mayfield ready for 2019, and Tyrod becomes the backup?   

If you haven't been reading the board much lately- I've been giving Sashi big smoochies for torpedoing the McCarron deal (the rest of the NFL apparently agrees with him) even though that was probably the final nail in the coffin for him. BTW, us getting TT about screams Hue is getting minimal input in shaping the roster, and with his past track record, that's a very good thing. 

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sometime, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away-  we still have plenty of loot (about $80 million worth) to sign them to long term deals.   https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/   

Pats & old Brady lost a good LT, but no where near at that price tag (Barkley is a Giant). Pats secondary now has some holes too. Pats got Shelton, so a 2 year deal on Dontari Poe is still doable at Dorsey's price tag. If we can wrap this thing up with adding Honey Badger or Morgan Burnett? man what a overhaul this would be..Let's do this thang!! Dorsey 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Pats & old Brady lost a good LT, but no where near at that price tag (Barkley is a Giant). Pats secondary now has some holes too. Pats got Shelton, so a 2 year deal on Dontari Poe is still doable at Dorsey's price tag. If we can wrap this thing up with adding Honey Badger or Morgan Burnett? man what a overhaul this would be..Let's do this thang!! Dorsey 

Poe would be the one remaining big coup that Dorsey could pull off, imo.

17 hours ago, Suomi said:

This evening the role of Soju will be played by Tour2ma.

lol... another person who did not read my post.

Soju was relentlessly negative. My post was at worst 50/50, but at least it cut thru some of the pie-in-the-sky bullsh!t being posted.

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sometime, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away- Jimmy H had no confidence in Sashi to get it right this year.  :) As far as one year rent a players- if they produce- we still have plenty of loot (about $80 million worth) to sign them to long term deals.   https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/  I sort of like the idea of taking that Lexus slot receiver out on a one year test drive. What? No confidence we can't get Darnold or Mayfield ready for 2019, and Tyrod becomes the backup?   

If you haven't been reading the board much lately- I've been giving Sashi big smoochies for torpedoing the McCarron deal (the rest of the NFL apparently agrees with him) even though that was probably the final nail in the coffin for him. BTW, us getting TT about screams Hue is getting minimal input in shaping the roster, and with his past track record, that's a very good thing. 

Again... read my post in which I said I could care less about retaining Tyrod beyond year one. As for our cap space... it does look big now, doesn't it? Stay tuned...

Nope... I never looked in until I was ready to post again. As for Sashi I wouldn't have been keeping score anyway. Except to rebutt idiotic slams that for some reason continue, I will not be talking about him.

Archived