THE BROWNS BOARD

2018 Oscar predictions

Predictions
The Academy Awards will be presented in just a few hours folks .  Here are my predictions .  I don't feel particularly confident in a sweep . In my opinion this is the worst set of nominations as far as I can remember and most of them for reasons other than excellence in filmmaking so it’s just as well nobody bets the deed to the farm based on my guesses.
Best picture: Only two films are even worthy of a nomination and I had thought The Shape of Water had the edge but in the last few days I think the tide has shifted and the winner will be Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Montana.
Best director: 
I’m thinking the academy will feel guilty about not picking The Shape of Water so best director could go to Guillermo del Toro
Best actor: James Franco should have been at least nominated for the Disaster Artist but he wasn’t. Gary Oldman turned in the undisputed best performance this year.
Best supporting actor:
Three Billboards is getting a lot of love. I think Sam Rockwell takes it. I liked Woody Harrelson in this one but not enough for gold.
Best actress: Margot Robbie is too young and Meryl Streep  didn’t do anything spectacular this time . Frances McDormand has been around for a long time and done some great work. This year she gets a statue.
Best supporting actress: 
I Tonya just barely got edged out of the best picture nominations but I think the academy wants to throw them a bone. Let’s go with Allison Janney.
WSS
Send flames to WestsideSteve@aol.com

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I did not. My original prediction was the shape of water but I thought the tide had turned toward three billboards. Should have stayed with my gut feeling.

WSS

OK, I see.  I know that you were touting the Shape of Water. 

I still have seen none of the ones that won any of the acting awards, or best picture. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 8:03 AM, The Gipper said:

OK, I see.  I know that you were touting the Shape of Water. 

I still have seen none of the ones that won any of the acting awards, or best picture. 

Please don't watch "The Shape of Water" Gip. It's so bad, I'd probably watch menopause the musical over it.

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

As for myself I have either loved or liked almost everything he's done. Phantom thread just left me cold. I've been meaning to watch Hard Eight.

WSS

Yes, I agree with this.   In fact, I noticed that Anderson's production company is named "Ghoulardi Entertainment (or Productions) or some thing.  

By the way....I did watch The Shape of Water last night.  It was good.  Best Picture of the Year good?  Not so sure....but as good as any of the other Nominees for that award that I have seen so far.

If the Three Billboards movie had won instead, that would have been about as equally as good.

12 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

As for myself I have either loved or liked almost everything he's done. Phantom thread just left me cold. I've been meaning to watch Hard Eight.

WSS

Hard Eight is amazing if you like gambling movies or gangster movies. I personally loved it. Also, I saw a screening of Robert Altman's gambling epic "California Split" at the AFI conservatory starring Elliott Gould and George Segal. Film was so epic, it left me speechless and made me laugh my tail off.

I hated "The Master" until I researched the deeper meaning of it. Now I love it, on 70mm it's amazing. First viewing I didn't even know it was about Scientology. 

Saw Ladybird last night.   It wasn't much.   In fact, it seemed basically like an elongated episode of Roseanne which Laurie Metcalf was in.  Issues of a teenage girl and the relationship she has with a bitchy mom.   Metcalf was nominated...and she was OK.   She was good, but it was nothing better than what she did on Roseanne or as Sheldon's mother in the Big Bang Theory.  Didn't care much at all about the teenage girl and her issues.  

So,  a B for the performances, which were good but not special.   A C for the story which was by no means special at all. 

Archived