THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley at #1?

lambdo

I'm only "over the top" allegedly because drafting Barkley is IMPERATIVE to our success. 

He is the player that makes us relevant again, he makes me feel slightly better after going 1-31. 

Seems to me that it's God's way of rewarding our loyalty, of "throwing us a bone" if you will.

He's not a running back. He's the hero.  

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I'm not against you either but you seem to be nit picking a little here. 

I said a couple things that maybe were a little exaggerated but nothing that didn't prove to be somewhat accurate. 

He absolutely blew away the combine. Those are EVERYONES words, from coaches and scouts to analysts and fans. 

Regardless of whether he ran late 4.28 or 4.4 it's still extremely fast for a guy his size. He was if I'm remembering correctly the second fastest RB and faster than most of the WRs.

Yes it was EXTREMELY impressive. But no, you weren't somewhat accurate. I'm guessing you have never ran like thst before. .12 seconds is A LOT in a 40. The difference is close to a yard

4 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Right, and I am not on Allen train, but he was on Wyoming playing those teams, Barkley on Penn State. BIG DIFFERENCE

Penn State's Offensive line was just that... offensive. They were horrible. Can you name one member of that offensive line that will play in the NFL as a starter? 

In the NFL, particularly behind Cleveland's probowl line Barkley will excel to levels that we couldn't dream of in college. All he needs is one step and it's Say-gone.

1 minute ago, Gunz41 said:

Yes it was EXTREMELY impressive. But no, you weren't somewhat accurate. I'm guessing you have never ran like thst before. .12 seconds is A LOT in a 40. The difference is close to a yard

...Hold your arm out in front of you. That's the distance we're talking about bro. Barkley can cover that. You tend to run faster when a dog is chasing you. There's not many players that are going to stop Barkley with one outstretched hand. 

1 minute ago, PoeticG said:

Penn State's Offensive line was just that... offensive. They were horrible. Can you name one member of that offensive line that will play in the NFL as a starter? 

In the NFL, particularly behind Cleveland's probowl line Barkley will excel to levels that we couldn't dream of in college. All he needs is one step and it's Say-gone.

No friend, it doesn't work that way. I knew at some point someone would bring up their o line.

Well Barkley isn't playing against players from Akron in the NFL, the defenses are full of the best of best from college.

1 minute ago, PoeticG said:

...Hold your arm out in front of you. That's the distance we're talking about bro. Barkley can cover that. You tend to run faster when a dog is chasing you. There's not many players that are going to stop Barkley with one outstretched hand. 

That wasn't the argument, I'm saying that is a BIG DIFFERENCE in the 40 game. That being how you weren't accurate. That's what they call a step behind

Negative Starfighter. 

The competition argument is irrelevant. Kamara is playing against better competition. Fournette, Gurley and Elliot are all playing against tougher competition. 

Penn State's Offensive line routinely let defensive players into the backfield straight into Barkley's face. There is a difference. 

5 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

That wasn't the argument, I'm saying that is a BIG DIFFERENCE in the 40 game. That being how you weren't accurate. That's what they call a step behind

Show me one player from this NFL combine that weighed more than Barkley and ran a faster time. Matter of fact, just go ahead and list for me ANY player that ran a faster 40 time, please include their height and weight for comparison please. 

7 minutes ago, RoyceRolls said:

At #1 it is. 

no it isn't :rolleyes: 

59 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Show me one player from this NFL combine that weighed more than Barkley and ran a faster time. Matter of fact, just go ahead and list for me ANY player that ran a faster 40 time, please include their height and weight for comparison please. 

Shaquem Griffin 6’1” 227, 4.38 40 

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Again buddy, not my point. He is very fast, just not as fast as you said. He was a yard/step behind how fast you said.

That's ALL I was saying. 

27 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Again buddy, not my point. He is very fast, just not as fast as you said. He was a yard/step behind how fast you said.

That's ALL I was saying. 

I don't know bro, he does have a mean stride... let's call it a "half-step" behind how fast I said he'd be and we can call it even. ;) 

Griffin vs Barkley, 1 on 1 with the game on the line? Barkley 10 out of 10 times wins this matchup. I don't care who you are... You aren't tackling Barkley with one hand. 

If the Browns happen to take Barkley at 1, Denver is going to call the Giants about going up to 2.  The Jets are going to call about going up to 2.  The Cardinals are going to call about going up to 2.  One of them is getting up there.  Probalby Denver to take Allen.  Then at 3, the Colts, who need to fill a lot of holes, are going to get a call from the Jets about moving up to 3, and the Cardinals are going to call about coming up to 3, and the Bills are going to call about coming up to 3.  The Jets will come up there and Take Mayfield.  Then pick 4 comes to the Browns...and the hope is when you pick at 4, you will be taking the 3rd QB in this draft, and be hoping that whoever is left there is the guy you thought was 1st best.  You take Rosen.  The Giants at 5 now still have their choice of Darnold or Chubb or Minkah.  And the Colts at 6 will still get Chubb or Minkah...or trade down again with Bufalo or Arizona if Darnold is still there.  .....You are really playing with fire if you go RB at 1 IF your QB plans include a guy in this draft class.  

It may be entirely possible that they've looked at these guys and decided every last one of them isn't a day one starter, isn't a franchise guy and they go sign McCaron and then trade out of one or take Barkely and one of Chubb, Minkah etc.  .....Wich could be a great haul IF your FO is SURE that none of the QB available is your man, and you like McCaron and Kizer.  

Keep in mind the 2019 QB class from this far out at least...isn't promising.  

To sum up....if you've identified your man in this crop of QB, you must take him at 1 because there is simply no way to control what happens at 2 and 3 with teams moving up to take 2 off the board ahead of your pick at 4.  If you believe your man is McCaron...then it's wide open.  (wich is freaking crazy.  get the QB while you can)

10 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Well I did it because it was merged from a thread, and by the time it was done it was on another page. And then put it in what the 18th different thread about Superman. 

But your right, I'll never do anything to upset you ever again. Dilly Dilly

Sure, I mean far be it from me to say reading isn't hard.

Thanks, we'll let this one slide.

8 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

At #1 it is. 

If he did make to #4, I'm all about it. I'd be extremely surprised if he made it that far though. Although not outside the realm of possibility picks 1, 2 and 3 go QB.

14 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

If Dorsey’s past history is any indication of who he’s going to take in the first round, it doesn’t look good for the Barkley boys.

Dorsey has never taken a RB in the 1st round while working as a GM or any FO position in his career.

And he won't this year....so PoG should begin  making Plan B:    What other players schmekel is he going to suckle  knowing that there is a 99% chance that Barkley will not be coming here?  

So...what is it Po?   Who is your Plan B?

17 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I'm only "over the top" allegedly because drafting Barkley is IMPERATIVE to our success. 

He is the player that makes us relevant again, he makes me feel slightly better after going 1-31. 

Seems to me that it's God's way of rewarding our loyalty, of "throwing us a bone" if you will.

He's not a running back. He's the hero.  

1) It's not imperative we draft Barkley- only in your mind. 2) He's not a hero, and you're way over hyping him. (Just like Kevin Hogan- the reports are it's almost certain he's going to get cut) I'm not married to any particular player yet, but Stop the hero worship for a second Po. Get it into your head from that link Tour posted, there's a fair chance were not drafting Saquon, and certainly not at #1.  

17 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Gunz, I hope you caught those simul-runs in the "Run Rich Run" fundraiser. It was quite a hoot. Eisen ran a 5.97 in a suit & tie. (He's 49, not bad for an old guy.) They spotted him six yards against some of the DBs, and he got smoked. But the point I wanted to make- and since everyone tweeted they wanted to see it. They put him up against Orlando Brown straight up, he of the 5.87. That tenth is more than three feet. Dang, I thought Eisen could beat him. I'm certain Mayock could.  :)  

17 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I'm not going to bother with the weights- you can look those up yourself. About 9 defensive players ran faster 40s than your dreamboat, his speed will be above average and somewhat negated in the pros. As Ag (and others) have pointed out- he's not a Kevin Mack or for that matter a young Adrian Peterson who can routinely bounce off the first tackle, his YAC say so. To my mind, he's a heavier version of Eric Metcalf. You're probably too young to remember the failure that was "Metcalf up the middle", but I haven't forgotten it. Teams have probably already scouted Barkley's propensity to break it outside, and that's the first thing they will try and take away- make him earn his yards inside the tackles- if he can. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And he won't this year....so PoG should begin  making Plan B:    What other players schmekel is he going to suckle  knowing that there is a 99% chance that Barkley will not be coming here?  

So...what is it Po?   Who is your Plan B?

Not who, what? The I-480 bridge? 

18 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Hogan handing off to Barkley!  Superbowl!

LOL.. I'll go by what Jim Brown says about Barkley.. He agreed with me and nailed T-rich..

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

A)I'm not going to bother with the weights- you can look those up yourself. B)About 9 defensive players ran faster 40s than your dreamboat, his speed will be above average and somewhat  

did the math days ago....B)about? correct-e-mundo..7CB's/1LB (shaq)/1 dirty white boy Safety from Penn State..all can hunt down Barkley with better 40 times..Barkley was a 3 way tie for 13th fastest 40 with WR's in fold. A.) RB (6'1")Kalen Ballage(projected 5th/6th Rd.) Only 5lbs. lighter than Barkley(6'0")  than (5'11")Penny (projected 2nd/3rd rd.)13 lbs. lighter were only 6/10ths just behind Bark'poe'g at 4.40  Most like Sony Michel? give me the bigger hammers in Guice Or Nick Chubb. Bama's Bo Scarbrough is 6'1 228lbs. with largest mittens at 10 1/2" hands & build like a truck. But like Penny, is more of a straight high runner that's going to take some whacks

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

1) It's not imperative we draft Barkley- only in your mind. 2) He's not a hero, and you're way over hyping him. (Just like Kevin Hogan- the reports are it's almost certain he's going to get cut) I'm not married to any particular player yet, but Stop the hero worship for a second Po. Get it into your head from that link Tour posted, there's a fair chance were not drafting Saquon, and certainly not at #1.  

Gunz, I hope you caught those simul-runs in the "Run Rich Run" fundraiser. It was quite a hoot. Eisen ran a 5.97 in a suit & tie. (He's 49, not bad for an old guy.) They spotted him six yards against some of the DBs, and he got smoked. But the point I wanted to make- and since everyone tweeted they wanted to see it. They put him up against Orlando Brown straight up, he of the 5.87. That tenth is more than three feet. Dang, I thought Eisen could beat him. I'm certain Mayock could.  :)  

I'm not going to bother with the weights- you can look those up yourself. About 9 defensive players ran faster 40s than your dreamboat, his speed will be above average and somewhat negated in the pros. As Ag (and others) have pointed out- he's not a Kevin Mack or for that matter a young Adrian Peterson who can routinely bounce off the first tackle, his YAC say so. To my mind, he's a heavier version of Eric Metcalf. You're probably too young to remember the failure that was "Metcalf up the middle", but I haven't forgotten it. Teams have probably already scouted Barkley's propensity to break it outside, and that's the first thing they will try and take away- make him earn his yards inside the tackles- if he can. 

Well if you are up on your physics, then this is how a chart would go.

Yards per second:

.1 of second difference would equal to about 1 yard every 5 seconds.

Here's a chart for you.

Yards per second:

4.0 = 10 
4.1 = 9.8 
4.2 = 9.5 
4.3 = 9.3 
4.4 = 9.1 
4.5 = 8.9 
4.6 = 8.7 
4.7 = 8.5 
4.8 = 8.3 
4.9 = 8.2 
5 = 8

On 3/5/2018 at 3:21 PM, LondonBrown said:

I’m kind of stunned (and baffled) how many genuinely seem to want to draft a RB at #1. 

And even more so when you consider what our Jackass of a HC did with his use of backs last year. 

Well said. We had a winnable game against Balt when our bell cow running back,who had 5 carries for 59 yards at the time, never carried the ball again. I still think about how hard was Hue trying to win. Let me rookie QB throw 37 times and not use my RB's to take some of pressure off of him. Do we draft Barkley and only let him carry the rock 5 times? It was apparent Crow was leaving last season.Why not run the tires off him? We may not have had to suffer a 0-16 season. I am not quite there yet, but I am thinking we may need a coaching change. RB's and QB's win you games.DEFENSE wins championsips! Just my 2 cents. Thank you London Dawg!

Music to my ears! I love it!!

Archived