THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley at #1?

lambdo

On 3/5/2018 at 10:56 PM, Ghoolie said:

Isn't it funny. I label the 2018 draft saying EMPHATICALLY................. Barkley is THE #1 pick, just as was Trubisky. THe browns fukcked up last year and made the #51 pick the #1 pick, while the Bears got the true #1.

his year is no different. The QBs are all okay. Whichever one we would get, is a stab in the dark. 

Again, I would not take a QB. Sign McCarron or similar, let him compete with Black Tarkenton.  YOu take Barkley #1. You trade next year's #1 with some combination of Zumba balls, Coleman and Thomas and wind up with another (3d_ first round pick this year.   Barkely, then WR, then WR,  at the second round, find a big, blocking, punching, badass FB.  Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THen you can say the Browns had a great draft. But just standing pat at #1  and #4? BORING. 

Other than Dorsey found the guy who was #1 last year in rushing IN THE THIRD ROUND , you're right- we're trading the #1 to the Giants so they can take Barkley, since he's so fabulous. He's a bigger edition of Eric Metcalf the way he dances around. LOL, we got a Zumba instructor on defense, why not pair him up with another one on offense?  Kevin Mack he ain't. So Barkley is fast? There were around 5-6 guys who ran faster at the Combine. 

You must really want other GMs to laugh their azz off at the Browns for taking a fullback in the second round- you missed the memo those guys don't go any higher that fourth round anymore. Go take a look at the previous posts and tell me how Saquon is going to win multiple Super Bowls with the Browns, when all of those HOF running backs failed in the attempt. 

For the record Tom- there's at least three, and maybe four or five quarterbacks in this draft who are BETTER than Trubisky. So sure let's take freaking running back instead. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

My gosh, you just aren't very football smart. IF the Giants draft a QB, they DON'T START HIM DAY 1, THEY GO WITH MANNING UNTIL HE RETIRES. 

You know, in 1-2 years see as though he is OLD. 

End of lesson today. You obviously are trolling, uneducated, or just have 1 set opinion, and won't change for anything. It is sad any way you look at it.

They have a viable backup / potential starter in Davis Webb.  They are probably not going qb at #2

23 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And I see Earl Campbell's and OJ Simpsons...and Eric Dickerson and Curtis Martin's and Thurman Thomas's. 

10 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I see Ki Jana Carters

And Bo Jackson's- the last two running backs taken #1 overall.   Have to admit Bo might have been HOF if he hadn't gotten hurt- but he did. And to those who think a #1 RB can't under perform- (and Saquon is bust-proof) from the link I posted elsewhere- I give you George Rodgers, Billy Sims, and Ricky Bell #1s all, and collectively not much to write home about. 

1 minute ago, SD_Tom said:

They have a viable backup / potential starter in Davis Webb.  They are probably not going qb at #2

They may, but they don't know that. Because when they benched Eli, they should have played him. 

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Barkley is not a tough runner, just a fast guy who has long runs that he will not get in the just as fast defensive NFL. I would reconsider if his ypc average were about 2 ypc higher, but they aren't so don't take him under any circumstance. Would he be better than the Blind Crow? Sure, but so will a number of RBs in this years deep draft.

So:

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/2018-NFL-Combine-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Football-DB-Minkah-Fitzpatrick-on-working-with-Patrick-Peterson-changing-culture-with-Cleveland-Browns-115851750

That's how I see it.  You look at his stats,  he's done very little on the ground in over half his games. He had lots of receiving yards,  so he's definitely a weapon. Can he be as effective catching it in the NFL with all the speed on defense? Nobody knows. 

You have penny, Michel,  Jones,  k Johnson,  Guice, chubb, ballage etc. Most are going to be there in mid rounds.  I still think Penny is the most underrated back in the draft. No respect whatsoever 

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Here is a collection of Super Bowl trophies accumulated by Barry Sanders, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Adrian Peterson. . .

image.png

Box full of Lombardis who were won by 1st overall QBs other tnan the Mannings and Troy Aikman over the last 30 years

empty_box-Large.jpg?fit=1623,1080

Jared Goff

Jamis Winston'

Andy Luck

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

Matt Staford

Jamarcus Russel

Alex Smith

Carson Palmer 

David Carr

Mike Vick

Tim Couch

Drew Bledsoe

Jeff George

Vinny Testaverde

All you need is to find the generational QB in this draft like the Mannings or Troy Aikman.

Whether you are in or out on Barkley (doesn't matter to me), I must admit to both sides I have been so wrong on him.

I was told that he would run sub 4.3 in 40. I read where he ran a 4.4 (still very fast), but I failed to realize that the clock was broken when he ran at the combine

I was told he was strongest RB to ever grace the scene, he did 29 reps ( that is GREAT, especially for a RB), but just a couple years ago a back did 32. I just received an update, Saquon did his bench one handed.

I heard a little birdie say he had a good game against Ohio State. He had 21 carries for 44 yards, including a 36 yard TD. I assumed that wasn't a very good average, but then I went back and looked at the tape, and it was rather impressive considering Ohio State played with 15 on the field, and Penn State only had 1 lineman.

It rang in my head like a drum how great of a receiving back he was. He had 102 catches for 1195 yards (11.7 average) and 8 TDs for his career. That shows his ability over someone like Michel who over the same amount of time had 64 catches for 621 yards (9.7 average) and 6 TDs for his career. Then I remembered that Barkley was the feature back, and Michel split time with another high prospect in Nick Chubb, who himself in 3 years (just like Barkley and Michel) had 31 catches for 361 yards (11.6 average) and 4 TDs. So adding up Penn State backfield vs Georgia backfield was 102 catches, 1195 yards and 8 TDs vs 95 catches, 982 yards, and 10 touchdowns. I thought about it though, and figured I would look at the careers in college of the top 3 backs in the league (as they are multi dimensional). Todd Gurley: 65 catches, 615 yards (9.5 average) and 6 TDs, Zeke: 58 catches, 449 yards (7.7 average) and 1 TD, Leveon Bell: 78 catches, 531 yards (6.8 average) and 1 TD. So I assumed just like those top NFL backs that these college guys have the ability to catch, even though they didn't do it as much in college. But then I had to remember that Barkley had McSorley throwing to him, and that hurt him, while these other guys had future HOF as their QBs, because Gurley had Aaron Murray, Zeke had JT Barrett, and Bell had Cousins and Cook.

So you guys, again I was wrong. SUPERMAN BARKLEY is worth 2 1st rounders, he has the best characteristics from Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, and Ladanian Tomlinson rolled all into one. And if the Quarterback the Browns get at #4 doesn't pan out, Todd Haley will just tailor his offense entirely around Barkley. A lot of Wild Dawg Pound. I'll bet Barkley has a better arm than Josh Allen or John Elway, and the brain of Peyton Manning. I am now locking it up, Barkley at #1. He will rush for 2400 yards and 20 TD's and catch 120 balls and 10 TDs. And he will also return 8 kickoffs for TD.

33 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Whether you are in or out on Barkley (doesn't matter to me), I must admit to both sides I have been so wrong on him.

I was told that he would run sub 4.3 in 40. I read where he ran a 4.4 (still very fast), but I failed to realize that the clock was broken when he ran at the combine

I was told he was strongest RB to ever grace the scene, he did 29 reps ( that is GREAT, especially for a RB), but just a couple years ago a back did 32. I just received an update, Saquon did his bench one handed.

I heard a little birdie say he had a good game against Ohio State. He had 21 carries for 44 yards, including a 36 yard TD. I assumed that wasn't a very good average, but then I went back and looked at the tape, and it was rather impressive considering Ohio State played with 15 on the field, and Penn State only had 1 lineman.

It rang in my head like a drum how great of a receiving back he was. He had 102 catches for 1195 yards (11.7 average) and 8 TDs for his career. That shows his ability over someone like Michel who over the same amount of time had 64 catches for 621 yards (9.7 average) and 6 TDs for his career. Then I remembered that Barkley was the feature back, and Michel split time with another high prospect in Nick Chubb, who himself in 3 years (just like Barkley and Michel) had 31 catches for 361 yards (11.6 average) and 4 TDs. So adding up Penn State backfield vs Georgia backfield was 102 catches, 1195 yards and 8 TDs vs 95 catches, 982 yards, and 10 touchdowns. I thought about it though, and figured I would look at the careers in college of the top 3 backs in the league (as they are multi dimensional). Todd Gurley: 65 catches, 615 yards (9.5 average) and 6 TDs, Zeke: 58 catches, 449 yards (7.7 average) and 1 TD, Leveon Bell: 78 catches, 531 yards (6.8 average) and 1 TD. So I assumed just like those top NFL backs that these college guys have the ability to catch, even though they didn't do it as much in college. But then I had to remember that Barkley had McSorley throwing to him, and that hurt him, while these other guys had future HOF as their QBs, because Gurley had Aaron Murray, Zeke had JT Barrett, and Bell had Cousins and Cook.

So you guys, again I was wrong. SUPERMAN BARKLEY is worth 2 1st rounders, he has the best characteristics from Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, and Ladanian Tomlinson rolled all into one. And if the Quarterback the Browns get at #4 doesn't pan out, Todd Haley will just tailor his offense entirely around Barkley. A lot of Wild Dawg Pound. I'll bet Barkley has a better arm than Josh Allen or John Elway, and the brain of Peyton Manning. I am now locking it up, Barkley at #1. He will rush for 2400 yards and 20 TD's and catch 120 balls and 10 TDs. And he will also return 8 kickoffs for TD.

Reposting your same dumb, trying to hard to be funny rant doesn't change the quality amigo.

I don't disagree with you but Barkley is a high level prospect. He's the on the exact same tier of prospect as Zeke, Fournette, etc. It's not insane to consider the Browns drafting the dude, so just relax.

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Box full of Lombardis who were won by 1st overall QBs other tnan the Mannings and Troy Aikman over the last 30 years

Jared Goff

Jamis Winston'

Andy Luck

Cam Newton

Sam Bradford

Matt Staford

Jamarcus Russel

Alex Smith

Carson Palmer 

David Carr

Mike Vick

Tim Couch

Drew Bledsoe

Jeff George

Vinny Testaverde

All you need is to find the generational QB in this draft like the Mannings or Troy Aikman.

OK....but here is the list of   #1 overall picks....at any position...that had some say in a Super Bowl or NFL championship:

Eli

Peyton

Orlando Pace....99 Rams

Keyshawn Johnson....02  Bucs

Russell Maryland...90s Cowboys

Aikman....90s Cowboys

Elway...90s Broncos

George Rogers....Redskins  ...1987

Ed Too Tall Jones...Cowboys 1977

John Matuszak....77 and  80 Raiders

Jim Plunkett....80 and 83 Raiders

Terry Bradshaw....70s Steelers

Bubba Smith....1970 Colts

Paul Hornung....SB I....plus  3 other Packers titles

Chuck Bednarik.... 1949 and 1960 Eagles NFL champs

Charley Trippi....1947  Cardinals NFL champs

A couple of others who helped out:

Drew Bledsoe....backup QB for Brady  in 2000s Pats SBs

George Shaw...backup QB for John Unitas...1958/59  NFL Colts Champs

Charley Trippi...

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Gunz, you're being a baby, just stop it. 

You were told that he would run a sub 4.4 40 yard dash, which he's perfectly capable of and will try and prove it when he reruns it at his Pro Day. 

You were told that he was going to bench press 225 lbs 30 times, which he is capable of and will try and prove that when he does it again at his Pro Day. 

You were told that he would have close to a 40 inch vertical which he eclipsed but will try and improve upon that number at his Pro Day as well. 

Barkley is as advertised. He ran 4.38 and 4.33 time in the 40 before and lest you forget he weighs in at 233 lbs! He's within the top 10 ALL TIME in weight adjusted time in the 40. 

He's been called the best back in the past TWO DECADES coming out of college and some would even say the best they have EVER seen. 

He's humble and always hungry. You are being a bitch. Stop. 

13 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

Couldn't care less how high he jumps,  how much he benches,  or how fast he does a 40.

I'd much prefer if he averaged over 10 ypc most of the season like Bryce love did. 

Or in the 7's for the season like several others did

If you look at any of the tape, it speaks for itself. Nothing else will convince you if you are unwilling to look at the tape. 

Barkley had DEFENDERS in his face as soon as he got the ball a lot. He made positive plays out of negative plays. Is he perfect? No player is, but the important thing is that he's a guy that is going to work, day in and day out to "try" and be the very best that has ever played the game. That's good enough for me. Barkley has just scratched the surface of what he could really do once he hits the NFL. 

If Dorsey’s past history is any indication of who he’s going to take in the first round, it doesn’t look good for the Barkley boys.

Dorsey has never taken a RB in the 1st round while working as a GM or any FO position in his career.

5 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

If you look at any of the tape, it speaks for itself. Nothing else will convince you if you are unwilling to look at the tape. 

Barkley had DEFENDERS in his face as soon as he got the ball a lot. He made positive plays out of negative plays. Is he perfect? No player is, but the important thing is that he's a guy that is going to work, day in and day out to "try" and be the very best that has ever played the game. That's good enough for me. Barkley has just scratched the surface of what he could really do once he hits the NFL. 

I've seen several games.  He can make some big plays,  and he's a physical specimen.  

If he's there at 4,  no problem.  At #1,  no way.  Get the qb first. This class is stacked with running backs

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Reposting your same dumb, trying to hard to be funny rant doesn't change the quality amigo.

I don't disagree with you but Barkley is a high level prospect. He's the on the exact same tier of prospect as Zeke, Fournette, etc. It's not insane to consider the Browns drafting the dude, so just relax.

Well actually amigo, I have not ONCE said they SHOULDN'T draft him or isn't a great prospect. But A for effort

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

You were told that he would run a sub 4.4 40 yard dash, which he's perfectly capable of and will try and prove it when he reruns it at his Pro Day. 

You were told that he was going to bench press 225 lbs 30 times, which he is capable of and will try and prove that when he does it again at his Pro Day. 

You were told that he would have close to a 40 inch vertical which he eclipsed but will try and improve upon that number at his Pro Day as well. 

Barkley is as advertised. He ran 4.38 and 4.33 time in the 40 before and lest you forget he weighs in at 233 lbs! He's within the top 10 ALL TIME in weight adjusted time in the 40. 

He's been called the best back in the past TWO DECADES coming out of college and some would even say the best they have EVER seen. 

No hombre, dont lie, it's unbecoming. Admit you overestimated him.

You called him the BEST you have ever seen.

And YOU, Not ANYONE ELSE said he had been hand clock low 4.3 hand timed and he would probably be under 4.3.

Care to whine some more.

1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

Well actually amigo, I have not ONCE said they SHOULDN'T draft him or isn't a great prospect. But A for effort

Cool, cool. Go ahead and copy and paste this comment again to reallly prove your point too. People love that. 

5 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Cool, cool. Go ahead and copy and paste this comment again to reallly prove your point too. People love that. 

Well I did it because it was merged from a thread, and by the time it was done it was on another page. And then put it in what the 18th different thread about Superman. 

But your right, I'll never do anything to upset you ever again. Dilly Dilly

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Here are just a FEW of the things you said. Still want to deny that they were said?

Anybody want to try these projections?

40 Yard Dash - 4.26

Bench Press - 33

Vertical Jump - 39.5

Broad Jump - 11 feet 11 inches

3 Cone Drill - 6.33

20 yard Shuttle Run - 3.82

60 yard Shuttle Run - 10.77

If you look at a man the way that he IS, he can only become worse. But look at him as if he were what he COULD be, then he becomes what he SHOULD be. -Geothe

You don't think he could break into the late 4.2's? Imagine how brief an amount of time it is from 4.29 to 4.33... It's certainly possible.

Because I believe that Hogan is a good QB and could be a franchise Qb if given the chance has nothing to do with Barkley's "Super Human" abilities.

No, seriously man, that's what he ran. He ran a 4.38 two years ago. Then last year he ran a 4.33! Shaved off .05 of a second off. If he's able to do that one more time, which I think he could do- that could put him in, dare I say it? The late 4.2 speed range... that would be really scary huh? That's why I included the link for you guys- so you know it's not hyperbole.

You can make up any kind of scenario that you want but the fact that Barkley is a superior prospect to Gurley or Zeke coming out is self-evident.

Yes, Barkley is largely immune to the probability of busting.... barring injury.

SB is the best runner I've ever seen, better than ANY player I've seen. And I really don't care if he's only done it in college so far- because that is all that has been put up against him. I'm confident that next year the NFL will get to meet Barkley in an orange and brown uniform to the tune of 1500+ yards from scrimmage

33 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Here are just a FEW of the things you said. Still want to deny that they were said?

Anybody want to try these projections?

40 Yard Dash - 4.26 

- I Originally said 4.33 +/- .05  Meaning late 4.2 speed to late 4.3. Exactly what I said. He ran a 4.4 flat. Pretty close- I was slightly off, we'll see if he can run faster at the Pro Day. 

Bench Press - 33

- I originally said 30 reps +/- 3-5 reps. He had 29 1/2. Pretty close actually. 

Vertical Jump - 39.5

He jumped 41 inches, surpassing my estimate. Key word here is estimate, along with my other "projections", I wasn't that far off. 

Broad Jump - 11 feet 11 inches - NA

3 Cone Drill - 6.33 - NA

20 yard Shuttle Run - 3.82 - Actual - 4.24 seconds, slightly off here as well. 

60 yard Shuttle Run - 10.77 - NA

I also still agree with all the statements I made down below.

If you look at a man the way that he IS, he can only become worse. But look at him as if he were what he COULD be, then he becomes what he SHOULD be. -Geothe

You don't think he could break into the late 4.2's? Imagine how brief an amount of time it is from 4.29 to 4.33... It's certainly possible.

Because I believe that Hogan is a good QB and could be a franchise Qb if given the chance has nothing to do with Barkley's "Super Human" abilities.

No, seriously man, that's what he ran. He ran a 4.38 two years ago. Then last year he ran a 4.33! Shaved off .05 of a second off. If he's able to do that one more time, which I think he could do- that could put him in, dare I say it? The late 4.2 speed range... that would be really scary huh? That's why I included the link for you guys- so you know it's not hyperbole.

You can make up any kind of scenario that you want but the fact that Barkley is a superior prospect to Gurley or Zeke coming out is self-evident.

Yes, Barkley is largely immune to the probability of busting.... barring injury.

SB is the best runner I've ever seen, better than ANY player I've seen. And I really don't care if he's only done it in college so far- because that is all that has been put up against him. I'm confident that next year the NFL will get to meet Barkley in an orange and brown uniform to the tune of 1500+ yards from scrimmage

Anyone who is on the Saquon Barkley train, and I'm holding my ticket at the train station deciding whether I want to ride, can you please explain this?

What is up with the inconsistency and most having big days against inferior competition. This isn't a dig at Barkley, it's a real question.

Akron 14/172/2

Pittsburgh 14/88/2

Georgia Southern 10/47/1

Iowa 28/211/1

Indiana 20/56/1

Northwestern 16/75/2

Michigan 15/108/3

Ohio State 21/44/1

Michigan 14/63/0

Rutgers 14/35/2

Nebraska 17/158/3

Maryland 16/77/2

Washington 18/137/2

Kent State 20/105/1

Pittsburgh 20/85/5

Temple 9/68/1

Michigan 15/59/0

Minnesota 20/63/1

Maryland 31/202/1

Ohio State 12/99/0

Purdue 18/207/2

Iowa 20/167/2

Indiana 33/58/2

Rutgers 16/92/1

Michigan State 12/14/1

Wisconsin 19/83/2

USC 25/194/3

Temple 1/1/0

Buffalo 12/115/1

Rutgers 21/195/2

San Diego State 8/62/1

Ohio State 26/194/0

Maryland 20/65/1

Illinois 20/84/1

Northwestern 25/120/2

Michigan 15/68/0

Michigan State 17/103/0

Georgia 17/69/0

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I've seen several games.  He can make some big plays,  and he's a physical specimen.  

If he's there at 4,  no problem.  At #1,  no way.  Get the qb first. This class is stacked with running backs

This class is stacked with QB as well as RB. However, the difference between Barkley and the next best RB is a grand canyon like drop. As for QB, it's hard to even tell who has a leg up over the others. This is a rare instance where RB is the clear and vital choice at #1 and QB is the accessory at #4. JS

3 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Ohio State 21/44/1

Michigan 14/63/0

This is what scares the shit out of me.  Just like Josh Allens numbers against Oregon and the other big time school they played.  

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

That is fine Po. I'm not against you or Barkley, you are just way overhyping him. And while you say I originally said X, later on you said sub 4.3, which would invalidate the high 4.2-high 4.3.

I'm just saying, when saying these things you said to trust you, well he under performed YOUR sky high expectations, so should we then conclude he will under perform?

Okay, guys. What do those numbers mean anyways? Carries, yards, touchdowns or what? What was his catches? Total yards? I know he had at least 100 yards in kick return that game against OSU and a TD there. That might not be running but it's still making an impact. Don't stare at the numbers, go watch the tape. 

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

This is what scares the Sheet out of me.  Just like Josh Allens numbers against Oregon and the other big time school they played.  

True, and you have a point, but for Allen (And not taking up for him) he did have inferior team to bigger schools. Barkley was on a top 10 team.

Just now, Gunz41 said:

True, and you have a point, but for Allen (And not taking up for him) he did have inferior team to bigger schools. Barkley was on a top 10 team.

That's what makes my case for a guy like Penny from SDSU...ran for 216 against Arizona State and 175 against Stanford, with an inferior team at San Diego State around him against those big schools.  

And not to keep up on Allen...but his numbers were atrocious against the big schools they played, even worse than those two examples I used for Barkley.

2 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

That is fine Po. I'm not against you or Barkley, you are just way overhyping him. And while you say I originally said X, later on you said sub 4.3, which would invalidate the high 4.2-high 4.3.

I'm just saying, when saying these things you said to trust you, well he under performed YOUR sky high expectations, so should we then conclude he will under perform?

I'm not against you either but you seem to be nit picking a little here. 

I said a couple things that maybe were a little exaggerated but nothing that didn't prove to be somewhat accurate. 

He absolutely blew away the combine. Those are EVERYONES words, from coaches and scouts to analysts and fans. 

Regardless of whether he ran late 4.28 or 4.4 it's still extremely fast for a guy his size. He was if I'm remembering correctly the second fastest RB and faster than most of the WRs.

1 minute ago, PoeticG said:

Okay, guys. What do those numbers mean anyways? Carries, yards, touchdowns or what? What was his catches? Total yards? I know he had at least 100 yards in kick return that game against OSU and a TD there. That might not be running but it's still making an impact. Don't stare at the numbers, go watch the tape. 

I have watched the tape. And yes they were carries, yards, and TDs. Nobody is denying the kid has ability or wouldn't make an impact, but not like you talk. There is no way to look at stats and say he was anything but inconsistent.

If you wouldn't go OVER the top with all your Barkley love, we wouldn't be on like the 18th thread about him. 

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

That's what makes my case for a guy like Penny from SDSU...ran for 216 against Arizona State and 175 against Stanford, with an inferior team at San Diego State around him against those big schools.  

And not to keep up on Allen...but his numbers were atrocious against the big schools they played, even worse than those two examples I used for Barkley.

Right, and I am not on Allen train, but he was on Wyoming playing those teams, Barkley on Penn State. BIG DIFFERENCE

Archived