THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley at #1?

lambdo

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to sense a rumbling growl deep inside the Dawgpound. Dogs do what dogs do. Dogs do dog things. Dog recognize dog and somehow we are drawn together... Be it destiny, be it fate. 

I'm excited because this is only the beginning for this dog. This dog is never satisfied. Never sated and always hungry for success at every level, at every endeavor.

I've always thought that Cleveland needed a Superman. Saquon might not be Superman, but he's got an "S" on his chest and he's fittin to try his best... No, not Superman... but he's damn close, closest we're going to find for a long time. 

He's an alpha dog, he'll get the locker room and the team in a frenzy! He's the type of player that guys rally around. They play better, harder. They see him and it inspires them to go above and beyond for the team and the game. Players like Peppers, Coleman, Gordon, Njoku, Devalve and Duke Johnson are going to excel and grow. 

From the first time I saw Barkley I thought that he reminded me of a kid that plays for my soccer team. This kid is amazing, he gives the other kids hope. He raises their ability and belief that they can win just by being on his team. It's easy to spot when you know what to look for. Barkley is a General. 

19 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I'm starting to sense a rumbling growl deep inside the Dawgpound. Dogs do what dogs do. Dogs do dog things. Dog recognize dog and somehow we are drawn together... Be it destiny, be it fate. 

I'm excited because this is only the beginning for this dog. This dog is never satisfied. Never sated and always hungry for success at every level, at every endeavor.

I've always thought that Cleveland needed a Superman. Saquon might not be Superman, but he's got an "S" on his chest and he's fittin to try his best... No, not Superman... but he's damn close, closest we're going to find for a long time. 

He's an alpha dog, he'll get the locker room and the team in a frenzy! He's the type of player that guys rally around. They play better, harder. They see him and it inspires them to go above and beyond for the team and the game. Players like Peppers, Coleman, Gordon, Njoku, Devalve and Duke Johnson are going to excel and grow. 

From the first time I saw Barkley I thought that he reminded me of a kid that plays for my soccer team. This kid is amazing, he gives the other kids hope. He raises their ability and belief that they can win just by being on his team. It's easy to spot when you know what to look for. Barkley is a General. 

Backtracking I see from your earlier talk. Smart, because NOBODY could live up to those statements and expectations 

49 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I'd rather have General Fitzpatrick on this team that needs defensive leaders. RBs will be there in rd 2.

48 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

And yet Penn State, in their two biggest games in the last two seasons (vs. USC in 2016, vs. Ohio State in 2017) blew big leads and lost both games with the legend that is Saquon Barkley.

Barkley will not bring you down the field in the two minute drill to pull out a victory.  He is an accessory.

If we get our QB of the current & future in FA...then I suppose you could take an accessory in the draft.

46 minutes ago, Orion said:

Barkley will not bring you down the field in the two minute drill to pull out a victory.  He is an accessory.

If we get our QB of the current & future in FA...then I suppose you could take an accessory in the draft.

Hey, if you can find a guy like that at 1 great.

Who is it? Last week it was Rosen. This week Mayfield is the bride to be. 2 weeks from today?

Drafting a QB and giving him the starting job will be another train wreck. You make him earn playing time behind a Vet QB who can win you 7 - 8 games and make some noise.

8 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Nonsense, I have you and Ghoolie lined up.

I may disagree with you, but I didn't dislike you until thst comment, dont EVER mention him and I in same sentence.

Very insulting

20 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Drafting a QB and giving him the starting job will be another train wreck. You make him earn playing time behind a Vet QB who can win you 7 - 8 games and make some noise.

agreed

Isn't it funny. I label the 2018 draft saying EMPHATICALLY................. Barkley is THE #1 pick, just as was Trubisky. THe browns fukcked up last year and made the #51 pick the #1 pick, while the Bears got the true #1.

his year is no different. The QBs are all okay. Whichever one we would get, is a stab in the dark. 

Again, I would not take a QB. Sign McCarron or similar, let him compete with Black Tarkenton.  YOu take Barkley #1. You trade next year's #1 with some combination of Zumba balls, Coleman and Thomas and wind up with another (3d_ first round pick this year.   Barkely, then WR, then WR,  at the second round, find a big, blocking, punching, badass FB.  Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THen you can say the Browns had a great draft. But just standing pat at #1  and #4? BORING. 

3 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

I can’t wait until we don’t have to hear about drafting a RB #1 the Retardation levels are getting dangerously high. 

Agreed we need to take the Guard Nelson :)

It's fun to listen to all the Steeler's fans beginning to piss their pants at the thought of the Browns getting Barkley! They're literally begging for Cleveland to mess up and take a QB number 1!!! LOVE IT!

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

:lol: Are you really throwing me into that company Royce?  My intentions with this topic aren't to freak people out - just something to talk about.  The careful use of rethinking in the heading shows I came from your thought process about the RB position. There's just a couple things I see that are getting me to look at the bigger picture of the player more than the position and what it could mean to recruiting a veteran QB. I'm not going to lose any sleep if we go another route at all.

As for the 1st round RBs in Superbowls - there's a ton of them like Franco Harris with 4, Emmitt Smith with 3, Larry Csonka with 3, Paul Hornung with 1, Jerome Bettis with 2, Tony Dorsett with 1, John Riggins with 1, Reggie Bush with 1, Jamal Lewis with 1, Marcus Allen with 1, Shaun Alexander 1, and there's way more but there's plenty of examples to satisfy both side of that debate so moving on....

Yeah, we'd definitely have to be smart about it as in a close the sale only type of thing or something along the line of your idea.

You might find this list interesting Tom. Outside of Hornung- none of those guys were drafted #1 overall, like I've been saying all along. You almost have to go back to the leather helmet days (when passing the football was an afterthought) to find more Running backs drafted #1 overall than I can count on my fingers. Some notable RB underachievers on this list too. So- ahem, just because we take Barkley #1 doesn't mean he's bust proof. Watching Tia's clip of Peterson in college was a real eye opener. I want to see highlights of Saquon taking on tacklers and bouncing off of them like AP before I'm totally sold. As I said on the phone, the closest comparison I can make for Barkley is he's a 230 pound Erik Metcalf. 

#1 overall picks going back to the guy who never played in the NFL.    

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

11 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

It's fun to listen to all the Steeler's fans beginning to piss their pants at the thought of the Browns getting Barkley! They're literally begging for Cleveland to mess up and take a QB number 1!!! LOVE IT!

You're a crazy person. You know that right? Wait, of course you don't.

24 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I'll have to dial up Vagitron and D- Mellon to find out exactly how not scared they are. They're probably far more worried about the amount of cash they're going to have to shell out to keep Le'veon Bell happy. 

I won't lie, Barkley certainly is an amazing talent and somebody I'd absolutely love to have on my team. The problem is, we still need a QB, and we have the chance to take the guy we like the most. We don't need to gamble, we don't need to get cute (like every other year), and we don't need to worry ourselves what other people think about our selection. We identify our favorite QB, and we draft him #1. It's really that simple. 

If we draft Barkley 1, which I really don't see happening, we leave two picks for another team to snatch our favorite QB. When will we EVER have the 1 and 4 picks again? Hopefully never, right? So yeah, Barkley would be great, but you know what's better than the best RB in the draft? The best QUARTERBACK. The Giants and the Colts pick 2 and 3, and I've heard some fans say that the chance of either of those teams taking the QB we want is slim to none, so why not just take Barkley #1 and then wait to get our QB at 4? The reason is obvious, but I'll say it anyway. Both the Colts and the Giants are looking to trade down. There are multiple teams looking to draft a QB, and as the draft approaches, those teams will begin to feel a little desperate. They will move up to take their guy, and the Colts and Giants will gladly take the deal. So a team like the Cardinals moves up to #2, and a team like the Jets moves up to 3. All of the sudden there's TWO quarterbacks off the board when our #4 comes along, and we have successfully managed to screw ourselves...again. 

Now, what are the chances that two teams will trade up to both the 2nd and 3rd picks for QBs? Probably not great. You have to figure that a couple of the QB needy teams will potentially solve their issues with free agency. So if the Cardinals sign McCarron, they won't move up. If the Broncos get Keenum, they won't either. Cousins is going to Minnesota (I used to think Jets, but now Vikings), so that still leaves the Jets as a team likely to move up inside the top 4 to potentially take the QB we want. Why would we risk that? 

The ONLY way I'd be ok drafting Saquon is if we trade up from the 4th spot, and switch with the Giants. What would it take to make that move? Probably more than I'd be comfortable with, but I suppose a deal would be possible if the Giants couldn't get a better offer from anybody else. That being said, I don't want to give up any picks. I'd much rather take our favorite QB at 1, and then see what happens. And here's something else to consider....if we take a QB at 1, that means there's one off the board, and the teams that need one are going to be SCRAMBLING. Suppose another one goes off the chart at 2 or 3, and now it's our turn to pick at 4, but there's only one of the top 3 QBs left. You HAVE to figure a QB desperate team is going to offer us a stupid awesome deal, right? What if Barkley is still available? We take our QB #1, and we control the draft. There's going to be someone available at #4 that other teams are going to desperately want, and as long as we don't move out of the top ten, I'm completely fine with taking advantage of their desperation. 

Barkley is not a tough runner, just a fast guy who has long runs that he will not get in the just as fast defensive NFL. I would reconsider if his ypc average were about 2 ypc higher, but they aren't so don't take him under any circumstance. Would he be better than the Blind Crow? Sure, but so will a number of RBs in this years deep draft.

So:

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/2018-NFL-Combine-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Football-DB-Minkah-Fitzpatrick-on-working-with-Patrick-Peterson-changing-culture-with-Cleveland-Browns-115851750

8 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

I may disagree with you, but I didn't dislike you until thst comment, dont EVER mention him and I in same sentence.

Very insulting

It was a joke.

Relax and dont take this so seriously. Its my opinion and your opinion. If I am wrong I will admit it.

8 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Isn't it funny. I label the 2018 draft saying EMPHATICALLY................. Barkley is THE #1 pick, just as was Trubisky. THe browns fukcked up last year and made the #51 pick the #1 pick, while the Bears got the true #1.

his year is no different. The QBs are all okay. Whichever one we would get, is a stab in the dark. 

Again, I would not take a QB. Sign McCarron or similar, let him compete with Black Tarkenton.  YOu take Barkley #1. You trade next year's #1 with some combination of Zumba balls, Coleman and Thomas and wind up with another (3d_ first round pick this year.   Barkely, then WR, then WR,  at the second round, find a big, blocking, punching, badass FB.  Then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, THen you can say the Browns had a great draft. But just standing pat at #1  and #4? BORING. 

Tribisky has proven that he can put on an NFL uniform. Deshaun Watson made Tribisky look the Waterboy until he got hurt and out of the season.

Barkley - Yes,

Vet FA QB - Yes

Trade out of # 4 - No. You need to start working with your QB of the future yesterday. The Vet QB is already signed up via FA and everyone knows that the Rookie is not starting in 2018 unless there is no other choice. 

I would only trade the 33rd pick for a 2019 1st and that teams 2018 2nd.

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

It was a joke.

Relax and dont take this so seriously. Its my opinion and your opinion. If I am wrong I will admit it.

I was joking obviously

14 hours ago, PoeticG said:

My suggestion for you is that you go and be a fan of whatever team takes Barkley...if the Browns do not....and that you stop bothering the rest of us in your display of your hard on for him.

25 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Here is a collection of Super Bowl trophies accumulated by Barry Sanders, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Adrian Peterson. . .

image.png

And I see Earl Campbell's and OJ Simpsons...and Eric Dickerson and Curtis Martin's and Thurman Thomas's. 

13 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

And I see Earl Campbell's and OJ Simpsons...and Eric Dickerson and Curtis Martin's and Thurman Thomas's. 

I see Ki Jana Carters

Archived