THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley at #1?

lambdo

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

My sleeper..Ballage. I think he'll be around Day 3.

I get college stats should not be the tell all. but 450 carries, 1984 yards, sounds like ASU only let Kalen carry the mail to 27 TD's..At least his College coach(s) kept him fresh for NFL coaches..but he'd fit the Crow 4.3/carry with limited coaching workload's..(welcome Todd Haley,bring a bigger boat)

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2018 at 3:02 AM, Flugel said:

Please show me a shorter career in the NFL than playing QB in Cleveland since 1999.  That's why there's a t-shirt mocking all the guys that couldn't survive the QB gig in Cleveland.  There's so many names on that sucker you can't buy a size smaller than Tent. The worst part of it all is we wasted the entire career of a HOF caliber Left Tackle that put forth a Pro Bowl effort for 10 consecutive years protecting the blind side of QB under incompetent FOs.

Understanding Bernie Kosar was a supplemental draft pick, when is the last time we aced the QB position in round 1 of the NFL draft?  Today, I keep hearing we can't draft A running back first because we have to draft A quarterback first.  Poe isn't saying he wants A running back - he's saying he wants Barkley because he thinks he's the best football player in the draft.  The irony is that a lot of people jumping all over his opinion are pretty reluctant to announce THE QB by name as well as the part about why he's the better solution. 

Since you mentioned the league has changed, what makes a blazing fast 230 lb RB that caught 54 passes for 632 yards (almost 12 ypc) and 3 TDs on top of 1251 yards rushing at 5.9 ypc and 18 TDs just a dime a dozen?   This is also supposed to be a deep QB draft where many scouts and draft analysts see equivalent values in the top 3-4 QB prospects. 

Do you know what team had the biggest record improvement in the entire NFL last year?  It was Jacksonville.  They sucked so bad in 2016 that their horrible record earned them the right to draft #4 overall. After drafting RB Leonard Fournette at #4 overall (and losing their best WR to IR) they suddenly made it all the way to the AFC Championship Game.  To get there, they beat Pittsburgh 45-42.  There's other teams with promising first round RBs like the LA Rams (Gurley) and Dallas Cowboys (Zeke).  In all 3 cases, the RBs helped their young QBs qualify for a post season. 

After the QB position - what skill position touches the ball most frequently?  There was a time we never lost sight of this.  Then again here's parts of the tradition reminding us why we shouldn't:  Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Greg Pruitt, Mike Pruitt, Kevin Mack, Earnest Byner, Leroy Hoard.  We also had other RBs to complement them like: Bobby Mitchell, Calvin Hill, Herman Fontenot, Cleo Miller, Curtis Dickey, Eric Metcalf, etc...  Just in case people think football has changed so much, our RB position combined for 122 receptions in 1986 when we went 12-4. That was Lindy Infante's first year here as OC (hard to believe that was 32 years ago already).

Leonard fournette wasn’t the difference in Jacksonville, in fact, he was out produced by 2 3rd rounders. Am I to believe the jaguars wouldn’t have had a good season with Kareem Hunt? 

The “most of these QBs are equal” take is a fan/media take. This FO will end their evaluation with a clear cut favorite, just like every other FO. 

The Browns haven’t picked the top qb since 1999, which isn’t the same as whiffing on the scraps in the late 1st round. 

Even if Barkley is the best RB in NFL history, he won’t do Sheet for a team that doesn’t have a QB. He can put up great numbers for the next 12 years and go 9-7, because RB is indeed a low value/easy to fill position. 

But most importantly of all:

the Browns didn’t go 0-16 to let other teams determine which QB will be available for them.  They’re in the driver seat and they’re not going to cower in fear like the fans who have PTSD.  this FO has experience scouting and drafting successful QBs and will step up to the plate and go all in on the 1 player they believe is best for the Browns. 

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills with this conversation. The league has proven, conclusively, that highly drafted RBs have zero correlation with success, that it’s a position that can be filled at any point in the draft/FA and has the shortest shelf life.  

Every year the super bowl winner has a good qb a good defense and a running back that the entire league passed on 5-7 times. 

On 3/17/2018 at 1:40 PM, darren15 said:

Saquon Barkley played in 38 college football games.

He failed to get to 100 yards rushing in 23 of them.

(61%)

Interested in knowing how that statistic compared to other recent top RB prospects, like Elliott, Gurley, Fournette and others. 

Any idea?

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I just figured it out:     This thread is like Groundhog Day.......and PoG is  playing the part of Ned Ryerson:

Groundhog-Day-Stephen-Tob-008.jpg?w=700&

I'm beginning to think that it's time for a new one, (I'll check with Tour first). Groundhog Day indeed. I hope Po realizes (probably not) no one is even bothering to watch the 100th or so Saquon tribute video he's posting anymore. SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME POSTING THEM PO, LALALA, WE'RE NOT WATCHING!!! The only reason he still gets reponses is because his posts are so histerically over the top.

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Day after Day after Day after Day......we get bothered by old Needlenose  PoG Ryerson.

True, but-

It's more like the 33rpm record (for those old enough to remember them) that starts skipping, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, Saquon is great, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon, must draft Saquon. 

Eventually it just drives you nuts. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'm beginning to think that it's time for a new one, (I'll check with Tour first). Groundhog Day indeed. I hope Po realizes (probably not) no one is even bothering to watch the 100th or so Saquon tribute video he's posting anymore. SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME POSTING THEM PO, LALALA, WE'RE NOT WATCHING!!! The only reason he still gets reponses is because his posts are so histerically over the top.

Nah... this one thread is not Groundhog Day. A new thread a Day would be Groundhog Day.

As for closing this tread and allowing another to start... I fail to see how that accomplishes anything, but as long as Po is free to start a new Barkley thread, I'm cool either way.

8 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Even if Barkley is the best RB in NFL history, he won’t do Sheet for a team that doesn’t have a QB. He can put up great numbers for the next 12 years and go 9-7, because RB is indeed a low value/easy to fill position. 

But most importantly of all:

the Browns didn’t go 0-16 to let other teams determine which QB will be available for them. 

Every year the super bowl winner has a good qb a good defense and a running back that the entire league passed on 5-7 times. 

Well done Royce!  About a month ago I was pointing a lot of this stuff out to Poe. I'm back to where I was before I started overthinking the crap outta this stuff.

I think NYJ moving up ended any temptations to go anywhere else but QB at #1 if there were any in the first place.

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Nah... this one thread is not Groundhog Day. A new thread a Day would be Groundhog Day.

As for closing this thread and allowing another to start... I fail to see how that accomplishes anything, but as long as Po is free to start a new Barkley thread, I'm cool either way.

:) OK, let me explain... (i think) the next Barkley thread will only be the 4th. How many times did Bill Murray wake up to the same Groundhog Day? Bet it was more than that. 

Actually- there's a practical reason for locking a thread. This one has gone 20 pages, and almost 500 replies. Should we get a drive by visitor\lurker, do you really think they're going to bother to wade through 20 pages of the same stuff?  On "The Other Board" that I can't mention by name- the Moderators routinely lock threads that get to this length and are going nowhere fast. 

So yes, I'll respect your take and Po is free to continue his (all too repetitive) Barkley love unabated in a new thread. Problem is, by my count, the draft is still 38 days away- and everything that can be said about Saquon has already been beaten into the ground- for the umpteenth time.  Po's actually doing the board a disservice continuing spewing how great Saquon is- because I'd bet 95%+ of our posters already have their minds made up about him one way or another. He just can't help himself, and has no clue when enough is enough already. 

I'll leave this thread open until tomorrow when I get up- which isn't early, but the New Saquon thread will be up in a few minutes, I'm open for suggestions to rename it.   After the draft- I may do as Zombo did with the Johnny Football posts and merge everything Barkley, and it will be plain how over the top how the pronouncement about one particular player really is...    

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

:) OK, let me explain... (i think) the next Barkley thread will only be the 4th. How many times did Bill Murray wake up to the same Groundhog Day? Bet it was more than that. 

Actually- there's a practical reason for locking a thread. This one has gone 20 pages, and almost 500 replies. Should we get a drive by visitor\lurker, do you really think they're going to bother to wade through 20 pages of the same stuff?  On "The Other Board" that I can't mention by name- the Moderators routinely lock threads that get to this length and are going nowhere fast. 

So yes, I'll respect your take and Po is free to continue his (all too repetitive) Barkley love unabated in a new thread. Problem is, by my count, the draft is still 38 days away- and everything that can be said about Saquon has already been beaten into the ground- for the umpteenth time.  Po's actually doing the board a disservice continuing spewing how great Saquon is- because I'd bet 95%+ of our posters already have their minds made up about him one way or another. He just can't help himself, and has no clue when enough is enough already. 

I'll leave this thread open until tomorrow when I get up- which isn't early, but the New Saquon thread will be up in a few minutes, I'm open for suggestions to rename it.   After the draft- I may do as Zombo did with the Johnny Football posts and merge everything Barkley, and it will be plain how over the top how the pronouncement about one particular player really is...    

Of course, you could suspend Po for a while....give him a time out ....and the rest of us a breather from his constant harangue.  But, yes, I understand that that would not be fair.  He has done nothing wrong except to bore all of us to tears. 

20 pages on something that clearly isn't going to happen. 

The Bills will likely end up at #2 (if NYG stands pat it's because they are taking a QB) and the Jets have #3 already so why would we even contemplate Barkley at #1 when you know for a fact he's going to be there at #4?! And you also know that your QB could easily be gone in picks #2 and #3

It's so blindingly obvious it amazes me anyone can still think otherwise 

9 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

20 pages on something that clearly isn't going to happen. 

The Bills will likely end up at #2 (if NYG stands pat it's because they are taking a QB) and the Jets have #3 already so why would we even contemplate Barkley at #1 when you know for a fact he's going to be there at #4?! And you also know that your QB could easily be gone in picks #2 and #3

It's so blindingly obvious it amazes me anyone can still think otherwise 

You are completely correct and I will add that I think its insane to think that we will take a RB at #1 when we just paid a RB 5 million per year in free agency.   There simply aren't enough carries to justify having 2 RB's that will be making that much money.  It makes no sense from a roster construction basis.    You need multiple WR's and multiple DB's but wasting a top of round 1 pick on a RB is just silly.

8 minutes ago, Mark O said:

You are completely correct and I will add that I think its insane to think that we will take a RB at #1 when we just paid a RB 5 million per year in free agency.   There simply aren't enough carries to justify having 2 RB's that will be making that much money.  It makes no sense from a roster construction basis.    You need multiple WR's and multiple DB's but wasting a top of round 1 pick on a RB is just silly.

Another good point re the money. This is the best RB class in many years as well plus he isn't a great inside runner, I wouldn't even take him at #4.

Just now, LondonBrown said:

Another good point re the money. This is the best RB class in many years as well plus he isn't a great inside runner, I wouldn't even take him at #4.

I agree.    I'm fine with picking one of the guys in Rd 2 but you didn't pay Hyde 5 million per year to sit on the bench and you don't draft a RB at the top of RD 1 to split carries.    It just makes no sense.

3 hours ago, Mark O said:

One more observation before I lock this thread. Even NFLN's #1 Barkley fan Bucky Brooks (he's been mocking him #1 overall to the Browns for a month), Called him "a solar system player because everything revolves around him".  Just dropped him to #4 after the Jets moved up.

MHO is Super Saquon may drop even farther, because I'm starting to think Chubb at #4.

Be sure to visit the new All Saquon all the Time thread, this one is closed.  :)  

• hoorta locked this topic

Archived