THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley at #1?

lambdo

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2018 at 5:53 AM, boo fagley said:

The Colts will take Barkley at 3 if the Browns pass on him. 

Care to reconsider? Seems the Colts weren't interested in hanging around at #3 for that possibility.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:08 PM, boo fagley said:

#

4 - Fournette - playoffs

4 - Zeke Elliot - playoffs

5 - Gino Bernard - playoffs

5 - Darren McFadden 

2 - Reggie Bush - playoffs

2 - Ronnie Brown

2 - L Tomlinson - playoffs HOF

5 - Jamal Lewis - playoffs

4 - Edge James - playoffs

And how many were added before the QB that led them to the playoffs?

3 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

Well obviously you can pull some names of people not drafted in 1st round. It's pointless because the same can be done for EVERY position. - Gunz

No, I'm just interested in staying in the context of our discussion.  Not just people - QBs and it IS as easy looking at many of those drafted after the 4th overall pick still playing and getting nice contracts today(ie: Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Brees, Foles, Carr, Cousins, Roethlisberger, Prescott, Garappolo, Keenum, McCown, Dalton, Flacco).  Again, that shows me there's a bunch of different drafts showing they didn't run out of reliable QBs before the 4th pick.    There's quite a few people feeling if we don't draft a QB at #1 overall - we're not going to get the right QB when there's only 2 QBs that can be drafted before we draft again. Also keep in mind this is a deep draft at QB Gunzies to the extent we can draft a QB in round 1 and one later.  The Redskins did that and Kirk Cousins was the most sought after FA while RG3 doesn't have a job.   I'm thinking someone like Mike White, Luke Faulk, Riley Ferguson, Kurt Benkert or Kyle Lauletta might be worth consideration as a 2nd QB we draft in a draft deep enough to justify it.  - Flugel

if they chose to get their QB at 4, then there is a possibility it's their 3rd QB. That doesn't mean he would be bad, it doesn't mean he won't be the best of the bunch. It means that it COULD be their 3rd ranked guy. And a recent example of the 3rd guy is Paxton Lynch. - Gunz

Worthy of note but Ben Roethlisberger was also a 3rd QB drafted back at #11 overall (behind Eli at #1 and Rivers at #4) so this reminds us that all drafts have different supplies for the big demand.   Isn't it also a possibility that our FO has 3 different QBs rated so even they're having just as tough of a time finding a consensus for 1 QB as our fan base?  Depending on how close as well as how much they either like Barkley or Chubb - it may not be as bad as people think. Another reality is the QB most often mocked to Cleveland is Darnold and they might not like some of his bad habits as another team is willing to take on.  It's also possible John Elway's crush on Josh Allen has him trading up with someone before us which could make it conceivable we get one of the QBs we wanted all along. I'm open to all possibilities believe it or not.  - Flugel

I dont care who they take and where. But it will be sickening to see someone that says Barkley #1 or someone else #1 to then come back and whine and moan, WE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT GUY. Meaning, if you like Barkley there stick to it. Dont complain down the road and say the team was stupid and should have taken someone else   - Gunz

Totally agree!  Since you weren't here last year at this time - you'll prolly like hearing NOBODY posted the "WE SHOULD HAVES" about not drafting Watson during the 4-5 game span Watson was QBing Houston into the highest scoring offense in the AFC. Good thing too because he got injured and went on IR just like Carson Wentz did. - Flugel

19 hours ago, Orion said:

The Colts may very well trade down a bit as they have multiple needs and someone may want to jump up for a QB (as someone does that almost every year).  We, of course, have multiple needs...but we have multiple 2nd round picks.

Apparently the Colts read my post.  :)

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Apparently the Colts read my post.  :)

all most guarantee that the first 3 picks will be Q.B'S so at 4 we will have the choice of bpa from all other positions all most like picking at #1 again and before any knucklehead want's to play kick the can with that pick go fukc yourself

18 hours ago, PoeticG said:

If Tyrod Taylor is the QB of the future it makes no sense to go and draft a guy that will sit for 3 years, that's over half of his contract.

Problem is that TT is only the QB of the immediate future. If the QB we draft sits for more than a year, then we drafted the wrong QB.

18 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I dont think anyone thinks Tyrod is the future. -I don't know if he will be or not, but I know that with Tyrod and Hogan QB is no longer the biggest need. A QB at #4, if we take Barkley #1 will equate to the #1-3 QBs in a draft with 5+ first round QBs. That QB can sit and learn from the vets for a while until he's completely ready. 

"... and Hogan... " I see what you did there. :ph34r:

Guess what... with Hyde on the roster RB is not the biggest need either.

Pretending that there are three, let alone five, equally talented QB prospects in this Draft is utter nonsense.

17 hours ago, boo fagley said:
  1. Without a Brady or a Manning its unlikely youre getting away with a JAG at RB.
  2. That was the point. You have Taylor and he is starting unless you just traded a low 2nd and are paying him to sit behind a rookie with no experience. Kizer 2.0 
  3. You take a weapon like Barkley paired with Taylor to win today and eventually play next to the rookie QB so his transition to the NFL is a little easier.
  4. Barkley an every down RB. Passing threat, half back and good blocker.
  5. Johnson 3rd down change of pace RB and a guy to spell Barkley. Perfect guy to send in late in the game with fresh legs. NE has made a killing wit that formula. 
  6. Hyde goal line and 3rd and 1 RB.
  7. Barkley puts the Browns over the top in the AFCN with that backfield.
  1. So Hyde is a JAG RB? As are Guice and Johnson and Michel and Chubb and Penny and Ballage and...
  2. Your point... mine was that you must believe Foles to be Tom and Eli's equal since he just won a SB with the same lead RB with which Tom last won, but not TT.
  3. "win today"... you are leaning on this more and more without letting us know how you define it. Please do so.
  4. Don't care as long as I can replace him in the aggregate... yup... #Moneyball.
  5. But NE's RBs don't matter because of Tom? Which is it? You argue both sides, but usually not in the same post.
  6. lol...
  7. lmao...

Have to give you this... you've no shortage of certitude... even after wasting a ton on the Colts' interest in Barkley.

38 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Care to reconsider? Seems the Colts weren't interested in hanging around at #3 for that possibility.

To quote Star Wars Darth Sidious "I have foreseen it." :lol: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921905/article/jets-acquire-no-3-overall-pick-of-2018-draft-from-colts

LOL, meaning the Bills are jumping to #2... Sorry Po, Barkley will be there at #4. Or #6 or #15..  So much for that generational running back...   

6 hours ago, boo fagley said:

For the record, I did not visit this site prior to forming my opinion. I have been in camp Barkley for weeks when these guys loved Darnold.

This is how you win now Kids. 

Cleveland Browns: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State PennState_logo.gif 
A quarterback appears to be the most popular choice, but it doesn't make logical sense to take a signal-caller at No. 1 overall, given that Cleveland has the fourth-overall selection as well. It makes zero sense to go quarterback, because if the Browns take Saquon Barkley, they're guaranteed to land two of Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield at No. 4. Barkley, meanwhile, could be gone by then. He is the best player in this class, and he has a legitimate chance to be chosen second overall. He's drawn comparisons to Marshall Faulk, and he's unlikely to get past the Colts at No. 3 overall, barring a trade. 

Besides, there's no consensus top player at the position. Darnold had a down year. Rosen has said that he doesn't want to play for the Browns. There have been rumors linking the Browns to Josh Allen, but he could be taken at No. 4. 

I mocked a quarterback to the Browns last week, but based on conversations I had with people I trust who have Browns information, I believe Barkley will be in Cleveland next year. 

Follow @walterfootball for updates. Also, you can Support Us on Patreon here! 

Follow @walterfootball for updates. Also, you can Support Us on Patreon here! 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#ixzz5A10B7Jjp

Cleveland Browns: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming Wyoming_logo.gif 
This is exactly why the Browns should pick Saquon Barkley first overall. Some people don't understand the concept of selecting a running back first overall, but it's the most logical thing to do. Barkley is the best player in this draft, and Cleveland has this pick to work with. If the Browns didn't possess this choice, they'd have to go quarterback at No. 1, but under the circumstances, they'd be guaranteed to have two of Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield available. None of the quarterbacks stick out, really, so it's not like there's a must-have prospect at the position. 

The Browns have been linked to every quarterback not named Rosen. Allen has the biggest arm in this class, and he makes sense for Todd Haley's offense. Allen has to really work on his accuracy, mechanics and field vision, but he has top-five overall physical talent. 

Pick change; previously Denzel Ward, CB 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#ixzz5A11qnEfy

Walter is losing it,. he doesn't understand the concept the Browns haven't had a francise quarterback since Bernie, and Allen is a huge question mark. Frak off Walter. . I used to respect his opinions- he's full of shiite on this one. With the Jets trading up,  care to make a gentleman's bet the Bills are going to jump them before draft day? We're taking best qb- freaking 100% guaranteed now with this Colts turn of events.   

5 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Missed your prediction. Look what the Jets gave up? NY got fleeced.

Its easy to predict the score after the game, but you should know that.

They might have gotten fleeced, but the Redskins hold that dubious record in the RG III trade up. Bills will give up even more to get to #2. 

Another reason why the Anti Barkley crowd will be crying in their craft beer draft night.

Duke Johnson is a FA in 2019. One does not need to suspend disbelief to surmise that he will want to cash in like Crowell.

So, would you pay big bucks to a 26 year old Johnson for 2019 or pay a 22 year old Barkley who is a better player?

1. Who cares what order the players are added. Its not the amazing race tv show.
  2. Bottom line a player like Barkley is rare. You take whats there. 
  3. 2 years from next April it will be Rosen can win if he only had a RB. 
  1. Well I care since it is at the heart of my argument... But your willingness to dismiss what you cannot refute is duly noted.
  2. Not all "rare" players turn out as projected... not even RBs.
  3. Or he'll be the kid winnig with a JAG RB... lol

The Colts have no RB. They will take Barkley at 3 and say thank you Dorsey.

You must have certitude to burn... cause you burned a bunch in this thread.

17 hours ago, PoeticG said:

2- Yes I talk him up, because he's worth it. The kid in incredible, he has his OWN DAY DEDICATED TO HIM

lol... well that cinches it!

17 hours ago, Flugel said:

Before the combines, I brought up Auburn's 6' 220 lb Kerryon Johnson as a RB

My top value RB... my 1B. Great Combine... the kid runs BIG. Could be problematic injury-wise at the next level, but he pounds.

17 hours ago, PoeticG said:

HOLY Shmucking FIRE!!!!

So have you pre-ordered his shoes? ;)

16 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I tried really hard to see what we are going to do, all that comes up is- Saquon, no matter what. 

See... now that's reasonable. Just like I keep looking and all I can see is Rosen at #1. Put that way we can accept each others takes. But once you or boo or anyone starts going full certitude... You're wrong/ I'm right... then that's what comes back at you.

We are all posting our own amateur opinions.

Some of us can discuss them objectively; some can't.

Some state their case once and refer to it from then on.

Some start thread after thread espousing the same old same old.

Some (cal) have to tear down an others views to make themselves feel better about their own.

22 minutes ago, syd said:

all most guarantee that the first 3 picks will be Q.B'S so at 4 we will have the choice of bpa from all other positions all most like picking at #1 again and before any knucklehead want's to play kick the can with that pick go fukc yourself

:lol: Yeah, the trade-up looks like it guarantees QBs go 1,2,3 with us choosing between Barkely, Chubb or any other pick of the litter at #4.

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Walter is losing it. I used to respect his opinions- he's full of shiite on this one. With the Jets trading up,  care to make a gentleman's bet the Bills are going to jump them before draft day? We're taking best qb- freaking 100% guaranteed now with this Colts turn of events.   

They might have gotten fleeced, but the Redskins hold that dubious record in the RG III trade up. Bills will give up even more to get to #2. 

Any pro Barkley or Allen outlet is like propaganda.

3 - 2nd rounds picks. NY got fleeced.

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

You must have certitude to burn... cause you burned a bunch in this thread.

lol... well that cinches it!

My top value RB... my 1B. Great Combine... the kid runs BIG. Could be problematic injury-wise at the next level, but he pounds.

So have you pre-ordered his shoes? ;)

See... now that's reasonable. Just like I keep looking and all I can see is Rosen at #1. Put that way we can accept each others takes. But once you or boo or anyone starts going full certitude... You're wrong/ I'm right... then that's what comes back at you.

We are all posting our own amateur opinions.

Some of us can discuss them objectively; some can't.

Some state their case once and refer to it from then on.

Some start thread after thread espousing the same old same old.

Some (cal) have to tear down an others views to make themselves feel better about their own.

You knew the Jets were moving up with the Colts.

Remember when you predicted the whole trade and how it would go down? 

3 minutes ago, Flugel said:

All good points, but I was here last year.

One caveat though, I dont remember anyone being enamored with Watson before the draft.

I'm not saying the Browns shouldn't draft Barkley, even shouldn't draft him at #1, I am saying and have been saying that SOME of the talk on him is incredibly ridiculous. He ISN'T the perfect prospect, and as he has yet to prove ONE thing in the league, to be talking about him being the best ever is dumb. Could he end up that way, YEAH but extremely unlikely.

I find it very unlikely that they have 3 guys ranked alike. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and could all be great, mediocre, or bad. And there doesn't seem like there is a consensus top guy. No questions there.

There are certainly examples to go both ways for any position (Rg3 vs Cousins, Lynch vs Big Ben, Trent Richardson vs Terrell Davis, etc) there is absolutely NO questioning that point. I'm not going to act like I know that 1 QB vs another or Barkley vs another running back yields better results. I DONT KNOW. 

The thing that gets me, and I can't say that I am right in my feelings, is not listening to another side of a discussion, using only certain material to make a point while dismissing other material, changing a discussion, people thinking they know it all, or the occasional flat out lies (Not saying any of these for anyone in particular). 

There are a few things that whether I or anyone else is right or wrong that it's hard for me to overlook.

One is that success rate for any position dips in percentage each round. So whether it is QB or RB, while there are always examples of low round guys (Brady or Terrell Davis) those are slimmer odds.

Another is that you can get similar production in lower rounds from other offensive positions other than QB. The reason is because you can use multiple people at those positions. You might not have as good of a player, but rotating at RB happens frequently, and passes are spread around to different receivers. But teams dont rotate QB. So while someone like Barkley may get you 1500 yards and 10 TDs, 2 backs could certainly get you 750 yards and 5 TDs.

And while I understand your point on the Cleveland QBs having a short career (at least in Cleveland), they has the most to do with the quality of the QB. It is NOT because a QB will have a short career in Cleveland because they are in Cleveland, or that the minute any QB is drafted or signed to play for the Browns that the clock starts ticking. But history ALL over the league tells us that RB only last for so long. That has nothing to do with the quality of player, it has to do with the amount of hits they take and the wear and tear on their body. There have been a couple exceptions of guys who lasted longer. Could Barkley be one of those exceptions, Yea I guess so. But history and odds aren't in his favor.

And lastly, and I have said this before, but maybe I didn't explain it correctly. The goal shouldn't be to have the best PLAYER, it should be the best TEAM. Having the best PLAYER doesn't guarantee anything, having the best team usually does. So while Barkley may very well be the best player in the draft, if you can't compliment everything else around him, then it's a moot point for what the goal should be. If you can get the most good players as opposed to the best and average, that is the way I would lean. I can't think of ONE position that Philadelphia had the best player in the league, yet they achieved the ultimate goal. New England is in Super Bowl basically every year, and they may have best QB and K. And while it doesn't mean a team with their main/Best player as a RB can't win the Super Bowl, it usually doesn't happen. I know what I see in New England, and while most hate them, they are GOOD and they really do treat their RB as dime a dozen. Someone can have a huge game rushing there, and then not play for 4 games. Eagles didn't have a great running back team either.

Just my thoughts on why I feel the way I do.

5 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. Well I care since it is at the heart of my argument... But your willingness to dismiss what you cannot refute is duly noted.
  2. Not all "rare" players turn out as projected... not even RBs.
  3. Or he'll be the kid winnig with a JAG RB... lol

1 Stuck on steps 1, 2, 3. 

2 Yeah, lots of QBs who were supposed to be the answer.

3 In the X football league vs Johnny.

17 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Any pro Barkley or Allen outlet is like propaganda.

And an  Anti- Barkley or Allen stance isn't "propaganda" it's just a cold hard look at reality VS worth (Barkley) or potential (Allen).

Yes the  "book value" for the Jets moving up was the first, one second, and a future second was plenty. Desperate times require desperate measures. Think the Eagles gave up too much for Wentz? This trade- and the Bills (to date moves- they're going to jump the Jets) should prove beyond anyone's doubt (unless they have non communicating neurons)-  this isn't a "weak" qb class. It's the 1, 2, 3, tango- and even make that #4 if the Browns get an offer from the Broncos to flip picks. 

4 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

got fleeced? Jimmy G cost one 2nd round pick from 9'ers..we paid a 3rd for TT. there is no Jimmy G in this draft class imo.as of yet..Jets only moved like 2 or 3 slots?

15 minutes ago, boo fagley said:
  1. Missed your prediction. Look what the Jets gave up? NY got fleeced.
  2. Its easy to predict the score after the game, but you should know that.

First... note that I now have to number your responses and my replies to them just to keep things straight as in your desperation to salvage some degree of being correct they have gotten more scatterbrained.

1. Pretty sure my prediction of the Colts trading out of #3 was correct. That in that scenario (differs from a prediction by the way) I did have them with a different trade partner. As for the price? No idea what that has to do with anything... unless you're implying the Jets traded up for Barkley.
  2. No idea what you are saying here as my scenario was posted well before the trade.

I know it's hard to stay focused, but Barkley still may go #1 or #2... so hang in there.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

First... note that I now have to number your responses and my replies to them just to keep things straight as in your desperation to salvage some degree of being correct they have gotten more scatterbrained.

1. Pretty sure my prediction of the Colts trading out of #3 was correct. That in that scenario (differs from a prediction by the way) I did have them with a different trade partner. As for the price? No idea what that has to do with anything... unless you're implying the Jets traded up for Barkley.
  2. No idea what you are saying here as my scenario was posted well before the trade.

I know it's hard to stay focused, but Barkley still may go #1 or #2... so hang in there.

Come on Tour- with the Jets trade up, the odds of Barkley going #1 overall (Dorsey loves him some third round RBs and we got the Hyde) are approaching zero. 50\50 on the G-men taking him, and if that doesn't happen, he's gonna fall like a rock.

14 hours ago, Flugel said:

Please show me a shorter career in the NFL than playing QB in Cleveland since 1999.

With all due respect... and I mean it and not as an empty platitude... that's a STRAWMAN among strawmen.

You know who has been in that parade as well as anyone here. It's not as if we have been burning thru talent.

7 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

But since you bring up the Jags, you are saying Fournette was the main reason?

Forgot about Fournette when I was making my "final piece" argument to boo....

19 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

To clarify.

You said the Colts might, could, maybe, possibly trade down. You never had the balls to be on one side of the fence or the other and you still dont. Dont try to BS everyone as if you knew the move was a done deal. I should played it like you do and stated the Colts could take Barkley at 3 leaving a way to weasel out. Nah, no balls is not my style. 

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

With all due respect... and I mean it and not as an empty platitude... that's a STRAWMAN among strawmen.

No worries but it was in the context of a reply to a comment (and a common thought) that RBs don't last very long in the NFL.

30 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

got fleeced? Jimmy G cost one 2nd round pick from 9'ers..we paid a 3rd for TT. there is no Jimmy G in this draft class imo.as of yet..Jets only moved like 2 or 3 slots?

NE had a fire sale and it was rumored that the Browns offered more.

The Colts move 3 spots down and pick up 2 more 2nd round picks giving them 3 and another 2nd next draft? The Colts played them like a fiddle.

9 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Come on Tour- with the Jets trade up, the odds of Barkley going #1 overall (Dorsey loves him some third round RBs and we got the Hyde) are approaching zero. 50\50 on the G-men taking him, and if that doesn't happen, he's gonna fall like a rock.

Hey... I was throwing boo a bone, h... not sure why, but I was.

As for 50/50 for the G-men... I gotta believe the Bills are on line 1 and the Broncos are on Line 2 right now. Bills should win that one unless Denver dips in their 2019 picks, but if Denver can get close then I think NYG goes with them as they really want to be to stay high enough to land Nelson.

In any case I think if NYG moves, then that'll do it until Draft Day. Then depending upon which QB is left on the board, our phone may ring... especially if BUF is still stuck at 12.

I really don't know what the Jets are thinking leaving two picks above them... very odd. Certainly they made the same offer to NYG, so either the Giants already know they can get more or they are locked in on a player they are pretty sure we will not take at #1, but do not believe will last to #5... which I have to believe Nelson will. Could be they are willing to sit tight at #2 until Draft Day and let the pressure build to "WSH must have RG3" levels...

Archived