THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley at #1?

lambdo

Saquon should be the 1st overall draft pick. 

If Tyrod Taylor is the QB of the future it makes no sense to go and draft a guy that will sit for 3 years, that's over half of his contract. Then if he finally does get the chance and he plays well, we'll be paying Kirk Cousins like prices for a guy that has only produced for one year. 

Barkley is going to IMMEDIATELY make an IMPACT on the offense. Whoever plays QB is going to benefit from having one of the best running back prospects in the past 30 years. A team first guy that isn't going to whine about touches or what is going to be asked of him. He's going to go all out, every play and all in all he's going to win a majority of his matchups. You are going to be hard pressed to find a defense that can shut down Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Saquon Barkley, David Njoku and company consistently. You are going to have to pick your poison, what player do you leave open? 

It makes no sense unless we are starting this "Golden Boy Rookie QB" day 1 to take him #1 overall with a prospect like Barkley in your hands. 

Barkley is already a Brown, are you seriously going to pass him off to the Giants for a maybe someday QB? That's silly. 

Take Barkley and if there is a must have QB sitting there at 4... you have the draft capital to invest such a high pick on a luxury watch and learn for a few years QB. If Mayfield or Darnold, maybe Rosen or even Allen are there and the plan is to have them watch and learn from Taylor and Hogan for a few seasons then by all means, draft him at #4.

But to be in WIN NOW mode as we are you absolutely take Barkley first. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Saquon should be the 1st overall draft pick. 

If Tyrod Taylor is the QB of the future it makes no sense to go and draft a guy that will sit for 3 years, that's over half of his contract. Then if he finally does get the chance and he plays well, we'll be paying Kirk Cousins like prices for a guy that has only produced for one year. 

Barkley is going to IMMEDIATELY make an IMPACT on the offense. Whoever plays QB is going to benefit from having one of the best running back prospects in the past 30 years. A team first guy that isn't going to whine about touches or what is going to be asked of him. He's going to go all out, every play and all in all he's going to win a majority of his matchups. You are going to be hard pressed to find a defense that can shut down Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Saquon Barkley, David Njoku and company consistently. You are going to have to pick your poison, what player do you leave open? 

It makes no sense unless we are starting this "Golden Boy Rookie QB" day 1 to take him #1 overall with a prospect like Barkley in your hands. 

Barkley is already a Brown, are you seriously going to pass him off to the Giants for a maybe someday QB? That's silly. 

Take Barkley and if there is a must have QB sitting there at 4... you have the draft capital to invest such a high pick on a luxury watch and learn for a few years QB. If Mayfield or Darnold, maybe Rosen or even Allen are there and the plan is to have them watch and learn from Taylor and Hogan for a few seasons then by all means, draft him at #4.

But to be in WIN NOW mode as we are you absolutely take Barkley first. 

I dont think anyone thinks Tyrod is the future.

I also don't think the Browns are in win now mode. Yes I am sure they want to win, but I believe the plan is to set themselves up for the future.

The Browns are not going from no wins to the Super Bowl. 

You have a warped reality on #1 quarterback. Just because they are drafted 1st (or anywhere in 1st) doesn't mean they have to start day one. NO TEAM IN HISTORY is drafting a player for Day 1, they are doing it for the future. Hmm, probably the top 3 QB in the league are Brady, Rodgers, Brees. You know what they have in common besides Super Bowl champions? They didn't start Day 1. They DEVELOPED.

I get it, you want Saquon. You have said it about 967 times. But don't try to use a false narrative to try and prove your point. A LOT of these QBs who start day one flame out, why? Because they aren't ready, haven't developed, and dont have the team around them to achieve success.

3 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I dont think anyone thinks Tyrod is the future.

I also don't think the Browns are in win now mode. Yes I am sure they want to win, but I believe the plan is to set themselves up for the future.

The Browns are not going from no wins to the Super Bowl. 

You have a warped reality on #1 quarterback. Just because they are drafted 1st (or anywhere in 1st) doesn't mean they have to start day one. NO TEAM IN HISTORY is drafting a player for Day 1, they are doing it for the future. Hmm, probably the top 3 QB in the league are Brady, Rodgers, Brees. You know what they have in common besides Super Bowl champions? They didn't start Day 1. They DEVELOPED.

I get it, you want Saquon. You have said it about 967 times. But don't try to use a false narrative to try and prove your point. A LOT of these QBs who start day one flame out, why? Because they aren't ready, haven't developed, and dont have the team around them to achieve success.

Do you know what all those QB's also have in common? None of them were drafted #1 overall. 

If you are picking #1 and taking a QB, he better be ready day 1. 

Saquon Barkley's big day: Penn State's star officially has March 14 recognized as Saquon Barkley Day in Pennsylvania

Updated Mar 15, 8:09 AM; Posted Mar 14
shares

For three years, it seemed like every fall Saturday was unofficially Saquon Barkley Day for the Penn State football program and it's fan base. 

And on Wednesday the Pennsylvania House of Representatives made it official inside the Capitol, unanimously voting to approve resolution H.R. 697 to recognize March 14 as Saquon Barkley Day in Pennsylvania.

Barkley, Penn State's superstar running back, took a break from training for the April NFL draft to attend the ceremony with his family. He later was greeted by hundreds of well-wishers inside the Capitol, some of them lawmakers and all of them fans of the 21-year-old running back's game.Barkley signed autographs and Penn State gear. He even signed the sash of 2017 Miss Pennsylvania Katie Schreckengast, who is from Palmyra.

"I'm just proud to represent my family and represent Whitehall and represent Penn State,'' Barkley said after being honored. 

"Hopefully, I can continue to do the right things.''

The resolution recognizing Barkley was sponsored by Rep. Jeanne McNeill (D-Lehigh). Barkley attended Whitehall High School, which is in McNeill's backyard.

"Saquon's going to the draft soon and he's probably not going to be around this area too much and because he's such an awesome, outstanding young man,'' McNeill said.

"I felt it was good to honor him and bring his family in and show them he's loved by all before he goes off into that new world.''

"I'm just happy,'' Barkley said.

"I'm honored to be able to be recognized here with my family. I didn't know the day was actually a real day until now. When (McNeill) said the number, I was like, 'It's actually Saquon Barkley Day'. That's neat, and that's awesome.''

With the NFL draft still more than a month away, Barkley said he is closely following which players are going where in NFL free agency. Some of the signings could have a significant impact on where Barkley lands in the draft.

After his brilliant display at the NFL Scouting Combine, the 6-0, 230-pound Barkley is expected to go in the top five picks of the draft.Barkley said he is training in Florida and California to continue preparations for the draft. He is expected to visit with some teams and also is planning to attend Penn State's Pro Day Tuesday in State College.

"Right now, just, Pro Day is coming up,'' Barkley said.

"I don't know if I'm doing that much at Pro Day. I think I'm just going to run (pass routes), that's what my agent and my manager and myself and my family discussed, I think that's going to be the best decision."

Barkley was in Louisville, Kentucky earlier this month to receive the Paul Hornung award, presented to the nation's most versatile player. He met with Hornung, the Green Bay Packers' great, and NFL icon Jim Brown. The Penn State runner also recently filmed a commercial.

"My life's the same. I still train the same,'' Barkley said.

"But I have been able to a lot of awesome stuff, like meet Jim Brown, Paul Hornung. Jim Brown is a special person to me, especially as a black athlete.

"It's stuff you dream about as a kid. I'm just happy to make my family proud. My mom and dad know how much this means to me and how hard I worked for this. It's kind of all coming together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't endorse taking Barkley #1... you are addicted to pain. 

9 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Do you know what all those QB's also have in common? None of them were drafted #1 overall. 

If you are picking #1 and taking a QB, he better be ready day 1. 

Sitting worked out well for Goff. Only reason Wentz even played was the injury to Bradford. 

Neither coach  planned to start them. They're smarter than Hue that's a given. 

18 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

I dont think anyone thinks Tyrod is the future. -I don't know if he will be or not, but I know that with Tyrod and Hogan QB is no longer the biggest need. A QB at #4, if we take Barkley #1 will equate to the #1-3 QBs in a draft with 5+ first round QBs. That QB can sit and learn from the vets for a while until he's completely ready. 

I also don't think the Browns are in win now mode. Yes I am sure they want to win, but I believe the plan is to set themselves up for the future. - Are you kidding? If the Browns finish less than .500 this year, it will be a disappointment, straight up. The FA additions and veteran leadership, along with adding a known commodity at OC. Dorsey isn't Sashi, we're no longer building for the future, we've suffered so we could cash in. We are cashing out and GOING FOR IT>@!!! WE NEED BARKLEY if we're going to win this thing. Barkley or Bust. 

The Browns are not going from no wins to the Super Bowl. - We are very much contenders right now. Taylor took the Bills to the Playoffs and they didn't have a Josh Gordon AND Saquon Barkley, Jarvis Landry, Njoku or the defense that we're building. The Browns are very much in the MIX for playoffs next year! 

It makes me sick to listen to all the talking heads give NY Barkley #2 because Cleveland is pathetically sick and in love with the Quarterback controversy. For the love of God- Since Bernie left that's all we've done is chase after QBs... and look where we are. 

Take a different approach, take the STAR RB and maybe, just maybe- you'll find that QB hasn't been the nail in our side for so long. The last time we were good who was the Runningback? Peyton Hillis? Before that? Jamal Lewis. 

Since we've had average backs, we've been below average. Take the RB and put an offense together that would make a bitch blush. 

Josh Gordon - Saquon Barkley - Jarvis Landry - Carlos Hyde - Duke Johnson - David Njoku - Corey Coleman - (to be continued...)

21 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Saquon Barkley's big day:

does Poe'g own any of these hats? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't endorse taking Barkley #1... you are addicted to pain. 

Mize well face it.Your addicted to Barkley

21 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

It makes me sick to listen to all the talking heads give NY Barkley #2 because Cleveland is pathetically sick and in love with the Quarterback controversy. For the love of God- Since Bernie left that's all we've done is chase after QBs... and look where we are. 

Take a different approach, take the STAR RB and maybe, just maybe- you'll find that QB hasn't been the nail in our side for so long. The last time we were good who was the Runningback? Peyton Hillis? Before that? Jamal Lewis. 

Since we've had average backs, we've been below average. Take the RB and put an offense together that would make a bitch blush. 

Josh Gordon - Saquon Barkley - Jarvis Landry - Carlos Hyde - Duke Johnson - David Njoku - Corey Coleman - (to be continued...)

Hahaha. Last one was Hillis eh? You said Trent Richardson was great. 

But yea, we are supposed to trust you on this one.

The Browns were better when we had Trent too, we won more games his only year here than we've won in three without him... the downfall was we also had a different boneheaded ginger named WeeDone. 

28 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Well you said they were going to playoffs this past season, 0-16 later and you look like a genius.

I mean I think I already know what you answer will be, but here.

Trent Richardson

Reggie Bush

Ronnie Brown

KiJana Carter

Marshall Faulk

Garrison Hearst

Blair Thomas

Barry Sanders

Alonzo Highsmith

Eric Dickerson

Curt Warner

Last 35 years, RB drafted in Top 3.

11 players, 3 GREAT PLAYERS. 27%

But yea, I will trust you over any kind of stat, or my own knowledge being involved in the game, not as a fan.

I am telling you now, no matter how good you THINK he will be, he won't have any more impact than Todd Gurley did. Jared Goff is better than Tyrod Taylor, and LAR defense is better Cleveland's. 

And a double HAHA that you think Kevin Hogan will have any impact on the team. Yea he might keep the drafted QB arm not being as tired since Hogan will be holding the clipboard 

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

The Browns were better when we had Trent too, we won more games his only year here than we've won in three without him... the downfall was we also had a different boneheaded ginger named WeeDone. 

Obviously went WAY over your head. You have said how great Trent was, yet you said Hillis was last good back in Cleveland.

So you skipped over YOUR OWN GUY. But yea, I'll trust you over ANYONE else

I said when was the last time the BROWNS were good? 

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

That's one smart scout... ;)

So E. Manning = T. Brady = N. Foles = Taylor??? lol...

Colts? Maybe as they have their QB... or at least hope they still do... but they have a lot of other needs as well. Other needs where this Draft is owhere as deep as it is at RB.

Without a Brady or a Manning its unlikely youre getting away with a JAG at RB.

That was the point. You have Taylor and he is starting unless you just traded a low 2nd and are paying him to sit behind a rookie with no experience. Kizer 2.0 

You take a weapon like Barkley paired with Taylor to win today and eventually play next to the rookie QB so his transition to the NFL is a little easier.

Barkley an every down RB. Passing threat, half back and good blocker.

Johnson 3rd down change of pace RB and a guy to spell Barkley. Perfect guy to send in late in the game with fresh legs. NE has made a killing wit that formula. 

Hyde goal line and 3rd and 1 RB.

Barkley puts the Browns over the top in the AFCN with that backfield.

9 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Well you said they were going to playoffs this past season, 0-16 later and you look like a genius.

I mean I think I already know what you answer will be, but here.

Trent Richardson

Reggie Bush

Ronnie Brown

KiJana Carter

Marshall Faulk

Garrison Hearst

Blair Thomas

Barry Sanders

Alonzo Highsmith

Eric Dickerson

Curt Warner

Last 35 years, RB drafted in Top 3.

11 players, 3 GREAT PLAYERS. 27%

But yea, I will trust you over any kind of stat, or my own knowledge being involved in the game, not as a fan.

I am telling you now, no matter how good you THINK he will be, he won't have any more impact than Todd Gurley did. Jared Goff is better than Tyrod Taylor, and LAR defense is better Cleveland's. 

And a double HAHA that you think Kevin Hogan will have any impact on the team. Yea he might keep the drafted QB arm not being as tired since Hogan will be holding the clipboard 

Right back to the old adage that just because a player was drafted high that does not make him worth the draft pick.

Would you give the Browns a 2nd for Kizer? Thats what he cost the Browns so he must be worth it by your logic.

12 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I said when was the last time the BROWNS were good? 

Butch Davis 1st season 2001 7-9 (just missed playoff) than next season 2002 9-7 (got a playoff game)...your volley 

49 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

That is some weapons.

Barkley 1 and QB 4. There is not 1 QB who has distanced himself from the pack. Rosen is all hype.

Football is entertainment. Barkley is Primetime, must see TV. We'll just be going along for the ride. I can't wait to see the Saquon helmet cam footage of linebackers whiffing and DBs cringing!!! lol Good times ahead, if we are wise. 

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

First... Van Eagan???

Second... weren't all those RBs added after their HoF QB counterpart was established?

Third... In anticipation of the answer to my second question being "yes"... thank you for proving my point.

Who cares what order the players are added. Its not the amazing race tv show.

Bottom line a player like Barkley is rare. You take whats there. 

2 years from next April it will be Rosen can win if he only had a RB. 

14 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Right back to the old adage that just because a player was drafted high that does not make him worth the draft pick.

Would you give the Browns a 2nd for Kizer? Thats what he cost the Browns so he must be worth it by your logic.

No of course not, you know why? I HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY IN THE NFL. Superman hasn't played a down and he's worth #1, being fitted for a good jacket, 10 suber rings, and building a house for all his awards.

Yea, REAL SMART to talk him up that much.

You know why they aren't drafted THAT high? Because the league has changed, they have the shortest career, and you can get similar production later.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

The Colts may very well trade down a bit as they have multiple needs and someone may want to jump up for a QB (as someone does that almost every year).  We, of course, have multiple needs...but we have multiple 2nd round picks.

I don't understand how anyone can think that we're drafting a RB at #1 overall....but then, I can't figure out flat-earther's either.

The Colts have no RB. They will take Barkley at 3 and say thank you Dorsey.

Which QB should go 1? He is sitting on his a$$ in 2018.

5 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Football is entertainment. Barkley is Primetime, must see TV. We'll just be going along for the ride. I can't wait to see the Saquon helmet cam footage of linebackers whiffing and DBs cringing!!! lol Good times ahead, if we are wise. 

See, THAT is exactly why you are set on him. Yes he is entertaining, and for fans it's about entertainment and love for team, but for the important ones (you know the players and coaches) they couldn't care less about entertaining, they care about the game, their team, and winning. Not one team would care if they won 2-0. But you wouldn't be "entertained"

4 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

No of course not, you know why? I HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY IN THE NFL. Superman hasn't played a down and he's worth #1, being fitted for a good jacket, 10 suber rings, and building a house for all his awards.

You know why they aren't drafted THAT high? Because the league has changed, they have the shortest career, and you can get similar production later.

This is your comeback every time. So let me just debunk this and you'll be forced to come up with something different next time...

1- No player in the history of the NFL draft has played a down in the NFL before being drafted #1. It's so obvious an answer that I feel it shouldn't even need to be stated. Myles Garrett, #1 overall- Greatest thing to ever walk the earth as a pass-rusher, first ballot hall of fame type player... yada yada yada. But, all this conjuncture only applies to Saquon, correct? 

2- Yes I talk him up, because he's worth it. The kid in incredible, he has his OWN DAY DEDICATED TO HIM? Who else in the draft has that? C'mon, I'll wait. That's not just me... being "entertained", it's because he's Shmucking incredible. Smooth runner, excellent balance, leaping ability, catching prowess, willing blocker, electric with the ball in his hands, shifty and controlled in his movements, quick twitch(ew, you'll like that one, you all bit on that one for Garrett- HE'S SOOOO QUICK TWITCHY!!!) 

3- You cannot get Barry Sanders later. You'll get a Crowell every once in a while but rarely... rarely a Terrel Davis. 

Terrel Davis isn't my example for Barkley... so before you go all chicken little on me, it was just an example. 

8 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Francis

Ive already listed exceptional RBs drafted top 5. Those GMs did their homework and earned their paychecks. The morons who drafted Kjana Carter, Jamarcuss Russel and the like had no business running a draft room and should sued for malpractice. Your argument is weak sauce if the only reason why you dont take a RB top 5 is because so many did not play on a super bowl winning team.

13 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Flugs-one of the reasons I like Michel from Bama is those hands out of the backfield. We have to seriously consider trading up into the 1st to get him if Barkley goes elsewhere.

Aggies, I was thinking Michel would be a grand theft until I saw he only caught 9 passes in 14 games last year for Georgia.  That was less than him catching 7 passes in the 8 games he played in as a freshman.  At 212-215 lbs, I was hoping the passing game dimension would be more of a comfort zone coming out than the ole "we're just going to coach that right up."   That said, there was a soph season where he had 26 rec in 13 games and junior year with 22 rec in 12 games.  I think the couple episodes of him double-catching the ball at the combines might have shown some NFL teams why Georgia got away from using him in the passing game. If a guy is fighting the ball enough to double-catch passes I'm guessing his vision probably isn't downfield/peripheral enough to cash in on the yards after the catch.  

Before the combines, I brought up Auburn's 6' 220 lb Kerryon Johnson as a RB I really like despite how little he was talked about in comparison with other RBs coming out.  Despite missing 2 games, he rushed for 1391 yards and 18 TDs at 4.9 ypc in 12 games with 24 rec for 194 yards 2 TDs. And while the reception volume isn't exactly eye popping - it's steadily improved from 14 to 17 to 24.

Here's some of his good rushing days vrs SEC opponents during the regular season: 23 car 116 yards 3 TDs vrs Miss St, 28 car 204 yards 3 TDs vrs Ole Miss, 31 car 156 yds 1 TD vrs LSU, 29 car 145 yards 1 TD vrs A&M, 32 car 167 yards 0 TD vrs Georgia, 30 car 104 yards 1 TD vrs Alabama (also threw a TD pass). His worst game was against Missouri with 18 car 48 yards 5 TDs.  He also had 2 other games over 100 yards rushing vrs non-conference opponents. Very fun kid to watch that played through injuries to his shoulder and ribs.

HOLY Shmucking FIRE!!!!

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!

All the pregame hype Barkley brings to First Energy Stadium will fire up the crowd and the sidelines! A NEW DAY DAWNS!

Remember Terrel Davis' initials were T.D. = Touch Down?

Well, Saquon Barkley's initials are - S.B. = Super Bowl!

Get Gone

I'll be the 10,000th in line for a Barkley Jersey. 

What numbers are the Running backs allowed to use now in the NFL? 

What's available and what's retired in those numbers? 

I'm assuming Barkley will want to be 26 in the Pros...

25 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

This is your comeback every time. So let me just debunk this and you'll be forced to come up with something different next time...

1- No player in the history of the NFL draft has played a down in the NFL before being drafted #1. It's so obvious an answer that I feel it shouldn't even need to be stated. Myles Garrett, #1 overall- Greatest thing to ever walk the earth as a pass-rusher, first ballot hall of fame type player... yada yada yada. But, all this conjuncture only applies to Saquon, correct? 

2- Yes I talk him up, because he's worth it. The kid in incredible, he has his OWN DAY DEDICATED TO HIM? Who else in the draft has that? C'mon, I'll wait. That's not just me... being "entertained", it's because he's Shmucking incredible. Smooth runner, excellent balance, leaping ability, catching prowess, willing blocker, electric with the ball in his hands, shifty and controlled in his movements, quick twitch(ew, you'll like that one, you all bit on that one for Garrett- HE'S SOOOO QUICK TWITCHY!!!) 

3- You cannot get Barry Sanders later. You'll get a Crowell every once in a while but rarely... rarely a Terrel Davis. 

Please show me anywhere where I have said where ANYONE would be great before a draft? I dont because there are A LOT of things that go into a great player. 

Archived