THE BROWNS BOARD

Barkley at #1?

lambdo

3 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I don't trust their stats, period. 

I just went and watched Penn States first game against the Zips last year and Barkley had 15 missed or broken tackles in the first quarter alone. 

cowpoop propaganda. 

You're right. It's a conspiracy that Penny and Love both gained 900 to 1,000 more yards rushing on the season and broke more big runs than the most amazing specimen in NCAAF. 

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I don't trust their stats, period. 

I just went and watched Penn States first game against the Zips last year and Barkley had 15 missed or broken tackles in the first quarter alone. 

cowpoop propaganda. 

The Akron Zips? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

So you going to take me up on that $100 bet or will you continue to act like you don't see it posted on every thread you ramble on about your man-crush? 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Akron Zips? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

So you going to take me up on that $100 bet or will you continue to act like you don't see it posted on every thread you ramble on about your man-crush? 

Hey poet TAKE IT! Oh I can't wait for this, better than any mock draft!

Having the first and fourth picks is turning out to be a more difficult scenario than one would think.  Do you take your favorite QB, just so you absolutely KNOW you get your favorite guy?  Or do you take Barkley and hope your favorite QB is there at 4?  

I have a news flash for everybody.  Our team struggled to score touchdowns and move the ball consistently.  How much does a guy like Barkley help that?  Is he special enough to warrant potentially missing out on drafting our top QB?  See, we're the Browns.  We've been TORTURED by not having a QB for SO LONG, that I don't think we can try to add a special RB before drafting our top rated QB. How often does a team really get to pick 1st and 4th?!  The more I think about it, the more I'm completely sure we have to draft our QB at #1, and then just hope we get who we want at #4.  If we do it that way, we might miss out on Saquon Barkley.  We might not get Bradley Chubb, or even Minkah Fitzpatrick (although doubtful).  But we'd STILL get a CRAZY talented player at 4, AND we'd have our favorite QB.  Isn't that the way to go?

Other than getting our top QB at #1, here's the other reason why it's important to start the draft off by drafting QB:  It immediately makes all the other teams hungry for a QB get DESPERATE.  If one of the guys goes off the board at #1, then the other franchises are going to get nervous.  What are the odds they trade up to #2 or #3 to get their QB?  It seems to happen every year, right?  Well, if that happens, we'd be in the driver's seat at #4 to trade back a little, OR perhaps a player like Chubb or even Barkley falls in our lap because other teams frantically traded up to 2 and 3 to grab their QB.  

Barkley might be a "generational" type talent, but running backs seldom go top 3 in today's NFL.  Heck, the last one I can think of that went #1 was Kijana Carter, right?  Remember how "can't miss" that guy was?  He went to the Bengals, who at the time, were JUST LIKE US.  Everything they touched turned to crap.  Sound familiar?  The Bengals' fortune ONLY changed when they drafted Carson Palmer.  

I understand that there's no QB prospect as talented or "pro ready" as Palmer coming out this year, but it's still time for us to identify our favorite signal caller, and make the dang pick.  You want to trade down from #4?  Fine, but get your QB first, and DON'T trade back too far or else the fans will absolutely LOSE IT.  

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Having the first and fourth picks is turning out to be a more difficult scenario than one would think.  Do you take your favorite QB, just so you absolutely KNOW you get your favorite guy?  Or do you take Barkley and hope your favorite QB is there at 4?  

I have a news flash for everybody.  Our team struggled to score touchdowns and move the ball consistently.  How much does a guy like Barkley help that?  Is he special enough to warrant potentially missing out on drafting our top QB?  See, we're the Browns.  We've been TORTURED by not having a QB for SO LONG, that I don't think we can try to add a special RB before drafting our top rated QB. How often does a team really get to pick 1st and 4th?!  The more I think about it, the more I'm completely sure we have to draft our QB at #1, and then just hope we get who we want at #4.  If we do it that way, we might miss out on Saquon Barkley.  We might not get Bradley Chubb, or even Minkah Fitzpatrick (although doubtful).  But we'd STILL get a CRAZY talented player at 4, AND we'd have our favorite QB.  Isn't that the way to go?

Other than getting our top QB at #1, here's the other reason why it's important to start the draft off by drafting QB:  It immediately makes all the other teams hungry for a QB get DESPERATE.  If one of the guys goes off the board at #1, then the other franchises are going to get nervous.  What are the odds they trade up to #2 or #3 to get their QB?  It seems to happen every year, right?  Well, if that happens, we'd be in the driver's seat at #4 to trade back a little, OR perhaps a player like Chubb or even Barkley falls in our lap because other teams frantically traded up to 2 and 3 to grab their QB.  

Barkley might be a "generational" type talent, but running backs seldom go top 3 in today's NFL.  Heck, the last one I can think of that went #1 was Kijana Carter, right?  Remember how "can't miss" that guy was?  He went to the Bengals, who at the time, were JUST LIKE US.  Everything they touched turned to crap.  Sound familiar?  The Bengals' fortune ONLY changed when they drafted Carson Palmer.  

I understand that there's no QB prospect as talented or "pro ready" as Palmer coming out this year, but it's still time for us to identify our favorite signal caller, and make the dang pick.  You want to trade down from #4?  Fine, but get your QB first, and DON'T trade back too far or else the fans will absolutely LOSE IT.  

I am completely on-board with this scenario. you have to take your guy at #1. Of course, I have Browns fear that "their guy" is going to be the wrong guy but still...I think there is enough talent in the top 5 qbs that they are all better than last years draft and will all be very solid qbs in the nfl. 1 or 2 may end up being stars, but there won't be any major busts. 

5 hours ago, Bigalow80 said:

I am completely on-board with this scenario. you have to take your guy at #1. Of course, I have Browns fear that "their guy" is going to be the wrong guy but still...I think there is enough talent in the top 5 qbs that they are all better than last years draft and will all be very solid qbs in the nfl. 1 or 2 may end up being stars, but there won't be any major busts. 

With all of their trade downs and passing the last decade or so, I think most would rather them swing and miss than not even try

There will be NO drafting of Barkley in the top 5 picks.  We need to get over that.  No sane team drafts a RB in the top 5 and really not much in the top 10, although 6-10 is more realistic.  RB's don't win games.  He's a great athlete and showed well and will have a very good career.  But he's not going in the top 5.

#1 will be a trade or a defensive player (Fitzpatrick or Chubb)

#4 will be a trade or a QB.  (there are 4 QB's and at least one will be available here)

In case people forgot, Joe Thomas was taken in the 2007 nfl draft at #3...ahead of the player everyone is comparing Barkley too. I love Barkley, but if the browns take him at one they are crazy. Tell me the last time a RB and not a QB led a team to a super bowl? you can make the argument at #4, fine, but not at #1. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2007

18 minutes ago, crstphr2 said:

There will be NO drafting of Barkley in the top 5 picks.  We need to get over that.  No sane team drafts a RB in the top 5 and really not much in the top 10, although 6-10 is more realistic.  RB's don't win games.  He's a great athlete and showed well and will have a very good career.  But he's not going in the top 5.

#4 will be a trade or a QB.  (there are 4 QB's and at least one will be available here)

I won't say you're nuts, but if you like a quarterback enough (and I agree with our former coach Eric Mangini) to take him at #4, you don't mess around and just take him #1.  With the Bills apparently having the hots to trade into the top 3, Chubb may well be there at #4.  and FWIW, it would take the Mother of all Draft pick hauls for Dorsey to trade out of #1.  

7 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

#

4 - Fournette - playoffs

4 - Zeke Elliot - playoffs

5 - Gino Bernard - playoffs

5 - Darren McFadden 

2 - Reggie Bush - playoffs

2 - Ronnie Brown

2 - L Tomlinson - playoffs HOF

5 - Jamal Lewis - playoffs

4 - Edge James - playoffs

How many SB's were they in?..... 2? Lewis/Bush

8 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

#

4 - Fournette - playoffs

5 - Darren McFadden 

2 - Ronnie Brown

And damn few Super Bowl wins out of that group. Colts won after James left, and Lewis can thank the other Lewis (Ray) and his defensive pals for his. Just getting to the playoffs isn't the ultimate goal. Ask the Bengals or Vikings about that. 

28 minutes ago, crstphr2 said:

If this is the new CLE Browns, then be the NEW CLE Browns. No more trade down to 22 to pick a QB. No more cuteness at all. Pick your top QB at one and take the BPA, which will be a blue chip player, at four. End of story. 

32 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

If this is the new CLE Browns, then be the NEW CLE Browns. No more trade down to 22 to pick a QB. No more cuteness at all. Pick your top QB at one and take the BPA, which will be a blue chip player, at four. End of story. 

It is not a matter of trading down being the issue though. It is simply we never pick good players when we do. If they feel none of the QB's is a number 1 you trade down. Same at 4. The key is regardless of where you pick you have to hit on the picks. 

24 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

It is not a matter of trading down being the issue though. It is simply we never pick good players when we do. If they feel none of the QB's is a number 1 you trade down. Same at 4. The key is regardless of where you pick you have to hit on the picks. 

Obviously. You also have to realize that our drafts for the past 6-8 years have been a complete broken record. Stop trading down and pick BPA. Stop trying to be cute. 

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

#

4 - Fournette - playoffs

5 - Darren McFadden 

2 - Ronnie Brown

There are currently only 6 starting running backs in the NFL that were picked in the first round. And that's a great list and all but not complete without the busts picked up at running back in the top 5.

Please excuse my ignorance but who is gino Bernard. 

Ok I looked it up and it was obviously just a typo as you meant gio Bernard cause he was picked 5th in the 2ND ROUND of the draft.

3 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

Obviously. You also have to realize that our drafts for the past 6-8 years have been a complete broken record. Stop trading down and pick BPA. Stop trying to be cute. 

I am totally fine with that, lets just make sure for once is truly is best pick available right? I think we have pretty competent guys to judge that for once. Time will tell. 

I still say how a player performs depends on how good or great the team is around him.  You can put the best RB on this team last year and his stats won't be as good as it was on the Pats or Eagles.  Or even any playoff team for that matter.  Hopefully we've improved to the point where the RB we choose will add some value to this team, doesn't matter who he is.  I still think if Tim Couch went to a better team (with WRs/TEs to through to and an Oline), he'd probably be a stud today.  

Carlos Hyde does not mean anything in relation to drafting Barkley, just as Randall and Currie have nothing to do with us drafting a DB/S... or taking Taylor excludes us from taking a QB in the first round. 

The Browns are simply filling all of the NEEDS in FA that will allow them to go BPA in the draft and maximize our draft capital. Barkley is the Best Player and playmaker and that's who we'll take #1. No question. 

10 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Carlos Hyde does not mean anything in relation to drafting Barkley, just as Randall and Currie have nothing to do with us drafting a DB/S... or taking Taylor excludes us from taking a QB in the first round. 

The Browns are simply filling all of the NEEDS in FA that will allow them to go BPA in the draft and maximize our draft capital. Barkley is the Best Player and playmaker and that's who we'll take #1. No question. 

You seem so sure, and that's fine, but why don't you take one of these gentlemen up on their bet?

I'll make you a bet, and it doesn't depend on ANYONE but Barkley. The GMs dont have to do what you want, doesn't have to be on a certain team, etc. I'll bet you a name change on here (I'm not a gambler) that Barkley will NOT be the best player ever like you have said. And since you say he is the best thing you have ever seen, and when he wasn't amazing it wasn't his fault, and was STILL the best, then you should have no issue with this. So he can go to Cleveland, Giants, Patriots, whoever, he will NOT be best ever.

So we got a bet?

3 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

You seem so sure, and that's fine, but why don't you take one of these gentlemen up on their bet?

I'll make you a bet, and it doesn't depend on ANYONE but Barkley. The GMs dont have to do what you want, doesn't have to be on a certain team, etc. I'll bet you a name change on here (I'm not a gambler) that Barkley will NOT be the best player ever like you have said. And since you say he is the best thing you have ever seen, and when he wasn't amazing it wasn't his fault, and was STILL the best, then you should have no issue with this. So he can go to Cleveland, Giants, Patriots, whoever, he will NOT be best ever.

So we got a bet?

If you remember- Po still had hopes for Richardson after he was cut not only by the Colts, but the Raiders too.  Based on us picking up Hyde, and Dorsey's track record of not drafting running backs high, I'll put the odds of the Browns drafting Barkley at #1 (zero) and #4 (5%).  :)   

For the record, I bet Po a set of my Browns tickets on TR's potential production with the Colts- needless to say he didn't even come close to the bet. I didn't have the heart to collect- too easy. 

8 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

The fact that he won't even acknowledge the bet offers should tell everyone everything you need to know about PoG. 

He's a troll. Sure, not a troll of pathetic Ghoolie standards, but a troll nevertheless. He drones on about the same topic (Joe Haden being released, Kevin Hogan's awesomeness, the legend that is Saquon Barkley) just to get attention, to stir things up. 

But hell, once again PoG, I'll bet you $100 that Barkley is not taken #1 overall by the Browns. 

14 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Today?  He was drafted in 1999.  He would be a QB for 19 years?

Tom Brady????

Obviously he wouldn't that good and would more than likely be retired today, but his stats would have been much better.  He would be remembered as a quality QB.  

10 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

I'll bet you a name change on here (I'm not a gambler) that Barkley will NOT be the best player ever like you have said. 

So we got a bet?

In Po's defense, no one can see the future and thus cannot tell who will be the best player ever.  I'm not a huge Poe fan, but this is ridiculous.  

16 hours ago, nickers said:

How many SB's were they in?..... 2? Lewis/Bush

If you are talking about  RBs taken in the top 5 of the draft since 2000 being in the Super Bowl....then the number is I think 3:   Bush, Lewis, James

But if you ask....how many QBs taken since 2000 in the top 5 of the draft....then it is the same number:  3:   Eli, Newton, Ryan.

11 hours ago, PoeticG said:

95067f3164d4e1c8e0a529ab127da4c8.jpg

Archived