THE BROWNS BOARD

Ancestry DNA Scans

The Gipper

Have any of you ever done one of these tests to determine you Nationality Heritage through your DNA?

My son, the Molecular Biologist who works on DNA and RNA matters,  got us all (me, my wife, my daughter)  one of these kits for a Christmas Gift.

We used the 23 and Me  version.  (23 refers to the number of human Chromosones).   We sent it in just after Xmas and just now I got mine back.

The results for me were as follows:

I am 99.1% European blood.    Of that I am:

78.2%  British and Irish.....they do NOT break it down from there, apparently that is not possible

...on my mother's half I am 100% British/Irish

On my Dad's half I am a bit more mixed.

Of that 50%:

Over half is British/Irish.  28.2%

8.0%  French and German.  Again, they do not distinguish between the two.  Actually, I think "Polish" may be included in German...as I believe I did have a Polish ancestor back there some generations ago.

0.4%  Scandinavian.   Anecdotally, my Dad's family was from Scotland... and since Scotland was oft invaded by the Vikings I suspect there is some Viking blood in there.

I am  11.3% "Broadly Northwest European".   Not surprising as one of my greatgrandmothers on my Dad's side had a Dutch name..and I guess they cannot specify anything like "Dutch".

0.2%  Southern European.  Basically, little or no Spanish/Italian/Greek. 

0.5% West African

0.4%  Middle Eastern

Basically....just about everyone has some African/Middle Eastern blood.....a we ALL came out of Africa....and migration patterns took most Europeans through the Middle East as well.

Don't know if any of you have done a similar thing.

I have no African blood.

56%
 Northeast Italy, Croatia & Bosnia and Herzegovina

Ireland/Scotland/Wales
23%

Europe West
5%

Low Confidence Regions

Europe South
5%

Finland/Northwest Russia
4%

Great Britain
4%

Caucasus
2%

Scandinavia

I am  11.3% "Broadly Northwest European".   Not surprising as one of my greatgrandmothers on my Dad's side had a Dutch name..and I guess they cannot specify anything like "Dutch"..... Hey my mother's side is basically Irish/English but have always heard I had a Dutch great grandmother 

0.2%  Southern European.  Basically, little or no Spanish/Italian/Greek. 

0.5% West African

0.4%  Middle Eastern

0.1% Cleveland Browns fan..... don't know how that happened :blink:

Basically....just about everyone has some African/Middle Eastern blood.....a we ALL came out of Africa....and migration patterns took most Europeans through the Middle East as well.

Don't know if any of you have done a similar thing......I have one brother who has traced our roots back but have never tried 23, does sound interesting 

Not to be a party pooper or knock on someone else's choice....

My folks both did that.  Their results mirrored the years of genealogy work that I had done tracing my lineage back to the fall of Rome. At least I was accurate, that was cool to know.  

Mom offered to pay for the test for me but I declined.  I read their fine print.  Basically, they own your DNA. Not only that.  Any potential cures or scientific breakthroughs that occur as a result of your DNA are theirs also.  In perpetuity. You forfeit all rights.

Now, does that actually even mean anything? I don't know.  I suppose I just felt like I would be giving away what makes me me. Not judging, that's just me.

I do know that it can't tell you things like, my 20th great-grandfather was Edward Bruce, former King of Ireland and brother of Robert the Bruce (the guy in Braveheart that wasn't Mel Gibson). I am also the direct descendant of Lord Baltimore, as in the city. That Maryland flag that has two family crests on it (the Calverts and Crosslands)?  I am the direct descendant of that married couple.  That's my flag.

maryland_1.jpg

Well....I have a volume here that allegedly traces my families lineage back to Adam.   Yes. As in Adam and Eve.  But, of course it is seriously bogus. 

As for the DNA issue.  Just because they took one sample does not mean that they would have exclusive rights to anything other than that sample.

While my son is not exactly in the human genome field, he is in a related field.  If I chose to give Cornell Univ. say, where he is  as student, a DNA sample...23 and me would have no claim to my information over and above what Cornell would have.

I also suspect that if I wanted to also get a "second opinion" by doing the similar test by say ancestry.com....I could do so.

28 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

As for the DNA issue.  Just because they took one sample does not mean that they would have exclusive rights to anything other than that sample.

While my son is not exactly in the human genome field, he is in a related field.  If I chose to give Cornell Univ. say, where he is  as student, a DNA sample...23 and me would have no claim to my information over and above what Cornell would have.

I also suspect that if I wanted to also get a "second opinion" by doing the similar test by say ancestry.com....I could do so.

Not sure about 23 and me.  

I definitely read Ancestry's fine print.  Not for me.

Here is an article from last year about it.  Supposedly they have made some changes yet concerns remain.

I highly suggest reading the complete Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

My family roots go back 5,000 years to Adam and Eve when the Universe was created.  

Uh-oh before or after those really scary ferocious dinosaurs? 

19 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

My family roots go back 5,000 years to Adam and Eve when the Universe was created.  

Mine go back 13.8 billion.:P

My ancestors could not use gold back then. It wasn't created in the neutron star collisions yet.:lol:

My great grandmother was Irish and she married my British great grandfather. The rest were all created in God's Country......................Texas.:rolleyes:

Archived