THE BROWNS BOARD

Would you rather draft a player with injury or off-the-field concerns?

SkippinTurtles

4 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

If it's BPA, give me the injured dude.  A young guy can recover from being hurt.  Healthy, wholesome Barkley seems like a perfect prospect.

CC had drinking issues and went to the HOF. 

Each case is different and should be treated as such. You can't have a blanket rule. But for me, take the best player. 

30 minutes ago, nickers said:

The Browns are famous for taking players with injury histories.. look at Corey Colman and Joe Haden...

While I agree with your point, I don't remember Haden getting hurt frequently until after he got the big contract. Before that, I always LOVED the way he'd remain one our best open field tacklers and never shy away from contact. 

We've had horrible luck with injuries after we decided to extend contracts over the years with guys that performed well enough to earn that new contract at the time.  Here's some examples: Daylon McCutcheon, Orpheus Roye, Leigh Bodden, Joe Haden. I think I wanted us to re-commit to every damn one of them at the time and rightfully so. There's Nostradamus and Nostradumbass - you don't even have to guess which one I was.

4 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

If it's BPA, give me the injured dude.  A young guy can recover from being hurt.  Healthy, wholesome Barkley seems like a perfect prospect.

It's an interesting question.  Sometimes they get a little over-the-top with the off the field stuff.  For example, if a kid in college gets way too drunk and makes a bad decision - should all future employers refrain from ever giving him a chance.  Try to remember how many times you or your buddies end up picking up 12 pack love (doesn't even look attractable until beer #12/whatever your limit was).  One time, we left a bar and there was always a back alley piss on garbage dumpster location everybody frequented in lieu of waiting in line to get into another bar.  Countless times, a cop would single out just 1 person with a ticket and if they were buzzed or they grew up in NYC or Long Island - that cop was going to get an earful that would turn into drunk and disorderly conduct.  Yeah, it's stupid and preventable (like pissing before you leave the bar); but ti shouldn't cost that person a BIG future if they are very talented at something.  If it's a repetitious Johnny Blutarsky-Manziel thing, it's important to put in enough research to see if there was a frequency of trouble with alcohol. 

College kids do stupid things. They always have and always will.  if there's better research than a very lazy Ray Farmer was willing to put in or quite possibly even LOOK AT - we should be in way better hands with those in charge today....

14 minutes ago, Flugel said:

It's an interesting question.  Sometimes they get a little over-the-top with the off the field stuff.  For example, if a kid in college gets way too drunk and makes a bad decision - should all future employers refrain from ever giving him a chance.  Try to remember how many times you or your buddies end up picking up 12 pack love (doesn't even look attractable until beer #12/whatever your limit was).  One time, we left a bar and there was always a back alley piss on garbage dumpster location everybody frequented in lieu of waiting in line to get into another bar.  Countless times, a cop would single out just 1 person with a ticket and if they were buzzed or they grew up in NYC or Long Island - that cop was going to get an earful that would turn into drunk and disorderly conduct.  Yeah, it's stupid and preventable (like pissing before you leave the bar); but ti shouldn't cost that person a BIG future if they are very talented at something.  If it's a repetitious Johnny Blutarsky-Manziel thing, it's important to put in enough research to see if there was a frequency of trouble with alcohol. 

College kids do stupid things. They always have and always will.  if there's better research than a very lazy Ray Farmer was willing to put in or quite possibly even LOOK AT - we should be in way better hands with those in charge today....

Everybody screws up, especially young. If you can learn from your mistakes, you can go far. If not....

3 hours ago, boo fagley said:

But Haden carved out a nice career in Cleveland. Many here wanted him to stay.

All these guys have had injuries. 

Joe Haden has been injured 3 out of the last 4 he was here , no?...

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

While I agree with your point, I don't remember Haden getting hurt frequently until after he got the big contract. Before that, I always LOVED the way he'd remain one our best open field tacklers and never shy away from contact. 

We've had horrible luck with injuries after we decided to extend contracts over the years with guys that performed well enough to earn that new contract at the time.  Here's some examples: Daylon McCutcheon, Orpheus Roye, Leigh Bodden, Joe Haden. I think I wanted us to re-commit to every damn one of them at the time and rightfully so. There's Nostradamus and Nostradumbass - you don't even have to guess which one I was.

It bears mentioning our big injury fail- LeCharles Bentley. Lawyer Tillman came to mind too. We're not alone in that regard the Bengals got nothing out of #1 overall Ki-Jana Carter, though looking him up on Pro football reference I was shocked to see he hung around the NFL for seven seasons- for a not so great 1,100 career yards rushing.  

Off field stuff you have to see if it's an isolated incident- (Mayfield or Prescott's DUI) or a protracted lifestyle problem (Manziel).  

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Off field stuff you have to see if it's an isolated incident- (Mayfield or Prescott's DUI) or a protracted lifestyle problem (Manziel).  

I agree Larry. My 2nd reply in this thread shared a similar view point also pointing out the difference between Johnny Blutarsky-Manziel and just a college kid doing something stupid that shouldn't ruin his chance to get a job after college.

2 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Gronk is injured every other week.

A lot of times these players come back and play too soon because the team needs them and they want to play.

That's something I don't stand. I mean, I understand the will to play and contribute, but sometimes they risk a lot for a lost season or when they are not in their contract year. 

I wonder how many careers have ended prematurely for playing way too soon instead of completely healing an injury.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Nero said:

That's something I don't stand. I mean, I understand the will to play and contribute, but sometimes they risk a lot for a lost season or when they are not in their contract year. 

I wonder how many careers have ended prematurely for playing way too soon instead of completely healing an injury.

I think that's what ruined RGIII. He was incredible his rookie year. They rushed him back from injury and he was never the same. 

Archived