THE BROWNS BOARD

The Combine - a few days away...

Orion

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

I'll watch as much if the combine as I can. I'm starved for football. Always love the 40

Oh god yes, plus with this BROWNS offseason and huge draft picking class it should be informative. 

......the closest thing we've had in hitting  since the super bowl has been the sock-her 1 yard flop. :lol:

7 hours ago, Orion said:

My favorite drill is the gauntlet.  

How fast can you run, and catch the ball, with very little time to see and react to it?  

Yeah, I enjoy the Underwear Olympics too.  That gauntlet drill is very challenging but it's very good at revealing what guys catch the ball with their hands and which ones rely on their bodies.

Believe it or not, outside of the 40 - my favorite thing watch are the quick out patterns.  The 2 QBs (Watson and Trubisky) that did the best in that drill last year emerged as the best 2 QBs of their class IMO.  Something as little as listening to the instructions of the drill by NOT waiting for the receiver but throwing the ball to where is is supposed to be is often the difference between moving the chains and a pick 6.  I just couldn't get over how often both Trubisky and Watson bulls eyed those throws last year.

So much so that when someone couldn't wait to rip Watson apart with the velocity of throw - I said Weeden had velocity of throw rendered worthless just as often as Derek Anderson did. And why?  He was always late with his reads and his throws.  Pre-snap intelligence/prep can help guys overcome the velocity of throw stuff. Don't believe me?  Watch every game Houston played when they were leading the AFC in scoring offense. Then watch them with Tom Savage's much better throwing velocity and you tell me how much that stuff matters.  That's only 1 intangible of many... To a smaller extent, Hoyer was outplaying Weeden before he blew out his knee, which carried over to our 7-4 start nobody saw coming the next year.  His other shortcomings eventually caught up with him; but seeing our record since that 7-4 start sure makes me appreciate that accomplishment (without Josh Gordon btw for all but 1 of those wins)...

After watching and appreciating QBs here like Kosar and Sipe - I've become a HUGE fan of the unique.  Those guys had imperfections they consistently overcame with great success.  Brian Sipe never had that Mike Phipps throwing velocity or arm strength. In fact, when he was drafted all the way back in round 13 -  there's a lot of different teams telling him don't even bother...  Where he clobbered Phipps was being on time with his throws, pocket presence, pre-snap reads, vision, poise, accuracy and of course - improvise. AND, on the days he had a forgettable first 58 minutes - his last 2 minutes were unforgettable and exciting enough to warrant the name Kardiac Kids.  Unfortunately, like so many other NFL MVP QBs we've seen over the years - his post season ended with Billy Ray Cyrus-level Achey Breaky Heart...  I'll take that over 1-31 football all day every day....

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-combine-heres-a-look-at-the-drills-and-the-prospects-who-could-ace-them/

• Friday, March 2: RB, OL, K, ST
  • Saturday, March 3: QB, WR, TE
  • Sunday, March 4: DL, LB
  • Monday, March 5: DB

Thanks Aggies!  I took Friday and Monday off from work so I'm glad to see the position groups slated for those days. 

I wont miss a second ....as the Browns GM I owe it to the fans to be thorough ........ if anyone wants me I will be in the closet making out with Jennifer Garner.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Saquon Barkley will run a 2.9 forty. Book it. :lol:

:lol: And just wait til we see him run it forward Dutch.

Based on everything I've heard, it sounds like I should put some cake down that he's gonna finish before Charley's Casserlys even completes the start click on his stop watch.   Stay tuned...

I will just watch the highlights. I'm not THAT hooked to this sport (yet?). 

But I will thoroughly read what you guys post about your impressions ;) Finally something new for the draft talk we have been running here since October!

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

I see the camps of:

A. Darnold

B. Rosen

C. Allen

D. the other guys

Face it they just can't agree on anything, I agree too.....that this quarterback class is, uhhhh, unspectacular?  Now where's my dead horse, any bones still left?

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

The "Great One" Rosen will be arriving on the red carpet via limo.

The Pre Madonna will be a bust just watch. Allen is the next QB who will a star in the NFL.

Pre Madonna or Post Madonna? 

In all seriousness,  show me one single game where Allen looked better than Rosen did in his debut as a true freshman. How fitting that his first pass was a complete dime,  and was dropped. 

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I see the camps of:

A. Darnold

B. Rosen

C. Allen

D. the other guys

Face it they just can't agree on anything, I agree too.....that this quarterback class is, uhhhh, unspectacular?  Now where's my dead horse, any bones still left?

I really want to see Lamar Jackson.  Very underrated as a passer imo. 

4 hours ago, boo fagley said:

The "Great One" Rosen will be arriving on the red carpet via limo.

The Pre Madonna will be a bust just watch. Allen is the next QB who will a star in the NFL.

And if he's available with the #33 overall pick, I think the Browns should possibly consider taking him. 

Possibly... 

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Will the broad side of the barn that he misses regularly be there too?

There's a guy that needs the combine.  And needs to show that he's as good as anyone else in shorts.

9 hours ago, Nero said:

I will just watch the highlights. I'm not THAT hooked to this sport (yet?). 

But I will thoroughly read what you guys post about your impressions ;) Finally something new for the draft talk we have been running here since October!

You should watch if you have the opportunity.

Catch some podcasts on the draft too. First Draft with McShay and Kiper or PFF's Draft podcast

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

I agree. If handled correctly, could be very good.

His passing stats are better than Allen's and he played against much tougher competition. He is a freak of an athlete, and FWIW, Michael Vick thinks he'll be awesome. Vick said essentially every QB who's drafted is a project, because there are no guarantees. 

I think his 40 time will have people paying attention, and if he looks decent in the throwing drills, he'll bump his stock quite a bit. 

The GMs are more interested in the interview process there than they are in the drills. Drills only there to verify what they see on game tape. Those passing drills for QBs with a guy chasing with a broom are pure cowpoop. BTW a bull is not a cow so it's b u l l s h i t, not cowpoop.:D

17 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Pre Madonna or Post Madonna? 

In all seriousness,  show me one single game where Allen looked better than Rosen did in his debut as a true freshman. How fitting that his first pass was a complete dime,  and was dropped. 

Show me a game where Rosen looked better than Johnny Boy Football.

Farve, Brady and Brees all had average completions numbers in college and improved to be the best. Those guys all came into the NFL humble wanting to play for anybody because they love the game itself above all else.

NFL front offices are looking at Allen and thinking to themselves what could happen if he had some actual talent around him in a real pro style offense. Wyoming is not a pro style offense as some of the Rosen minions are bemoaning. The QB is not asked to run the ball with any frequency in the pros. You run around like RG3 and Vick and youre lite up by a LB or DB. No NFL team with any sense wants to risk the franchise and most important player on the team picking up a low priority 3rd and 10... There is a good reason why you pay a Left Tackle all that money and a reason why 5 guys are stuck at the line of scrimmage on most passing plays. The NFL is a passing league today and guys like Lamar Jackson come and go

I see that the mighty Josh Rosen is telling people who he will play for.  What a joke. This guy is going to get a dose of reality when it gets real out there.

19 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Farve, Brady and Brees all had average completions numbers in college and improved to be the best. Those guys all came into the NFL humble wanting to play for anybody because they love the game itself above all else.

Off the top of my head?  I think both times he played LSU and Floriduh.      I remember watching Duke light him up until they went full Retard.  

Again you site examples of players, mind you only 3 players - all of which are HoF'ers, NONE selected in the first round.  

26 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Off the top of my head?  I think both times he played LSU and Floriduh.      I remember watching Duke light him up until they went full Retard.  

Again you site examples of players, mind you only 3 players - all of which are HoF'ers, NONE selected in the first round.  

Would you select them in the 1st round today?

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

NFL front offices are looking at Allen and thinking to themselves what could happen if he had some actual talent around him in a real pro style offense. Wyoming is not a pro style offense as some of the Rosen minions are bemoaning. The QB is not asked to run the ball with any frequency in the pros. You run around like RG3 and Vick and youre lite up by a LB or DB. No NFL team with any sense wants to risk the franchise and most important player on the team picking up a low priority 3rd and 10... There is a good reason why you pay a Left Tackle all that money and a reason why 5 guys are stuck at the line of scrimmage on most passing plays. The NFL is a passing league today and guys like Lamar Jackson come and go

I see that the mighty Josh Rosen is telling people who he will play for.  What a joke. This guy is going to get a dose of reality when it gets real out there.

Blah blah blah blah blah. 

So a comparison of Allen vs Rosen gets a rambling response about manziel,  Brees,  brady,  farve,  RGIII,  and Vick... And no Allen film or stats to disprove my point. 

Well done.  

19 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Would you select them in the 1st round today?

That doesn't have jackshit to do with anything and is a terrible argument to make. 

Would I select a HoF'er today knowing how they played? Of Shmucking course.    In 2000 would have I selected Tom Brady because, Gee-Shmucking-whiz, he'll improve on his completion % and command because that just "HAS" to be the norm.

With a franchise in the state the Browns are, you make the sensible and pragmatic picks that make sense based on numbers, interviews, tape and evals.   That player is Rosen.  

38 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

John Boy played only 2 seasons in the toughest conference in the NCAA. Just 26 games which is 4 less than Rosen.

Manziel was better than Rosen ever thought of being for those stuck on stats. Manziel had a better average completion rate 69% , better TD to INT rate @ 34%, more TDs. Rosen had 307 more passing attempts and only 117 completions to show for it. 1521 more passing yards.

No thanks on Rosen. 

Archived