THE BROWNS BOARD

Presidents and the P5 conferences

The Gipper

Since Today is George Washington's Birthday and this is President's day Week  I am putting on here the  list of President's that attended any Power 5 conference school.  There are not that many really:

Duke Law:   Nixon

Georgia Tech:  Carter

Stanford:  Hoover, and Kennedy for grad school

Michigan:  Ford

North Carolina:  Polk

Univ. of Virginia  Law:   Wilson   (and note:  Thomas Jefferson founded the University of Virginia...so credit has to be given there)

To my knowledge, only Gerald Ford played any kind of major varsity sports at these schools.  He was a center....and played in the East West Shrine Game. 

He graduated in 1935....one year before the NFL draft was instituted, so he, nor anyone else of his era was drafted. But...he was given contract offers to play for both the Bears and the Packers.  He turned these offers down in order to attend Law School at Yale.

Besides the borderline All American Gerald Ford, a few other Presidents made a bit of a name in sports...if at a lower level:

Nixon played small college football at Whittier college

Woodrow Wilson played baseball for Davidson

John F. Kennedy lettered in swimming at Harvard

Poppy Bush was an oustanding first baseman for Yale. Could have probably gotten a pro contract except for the War...and his desire to go into the oil business

Eisenhower played football for Army, and butted heads with the likes of Jim Thorpe and Knute Rockne.

I think most of them were there before they were referred to as P5 conferences.......but still interesting. 

You would think future presidents would have attended more prestigious colleges, and not many jocks!

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

I think most of them were there before they were referred to as P5 conferences.......but still interesting. 

Well...yes, of course.  the conferences were there when Nixon, Carter, Ford Hoover went there (ACC, Big Ten, Pac 8)... but not Polk

You would think future presidents would have attended more prestigious colleges, and not many jocks!

Well...they did actually.  Presidents have attended Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Amherst, Williams, Kenyon, Georgetown, Bowdoin and others.

FYI:   Colleges in Ohio attended by POTUS:    Kenyon, Hiram, Mt. Union,  Ohio Central College nka Muskingam, Miami Oh., Cincinnati Law school.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Yes I was going to say well known instead of prestigious, no doubt the ivy league and other east coast schools are indeed prestigious. 

Archived