THE BROWNS BOARD

Rashaad Penny - Underrated

SD_Tom

13 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Colleges bump up the numbers.

So you have zero proof of a back gaining 20-25lbs? No RB puts on that kind of mass. Certainly not a RB known for being agile.

Jones will never be a 20 carries a game, bellcow back.

As I said, it’s hard to go off of college height and weight because it’s rarely accurate. But the truth comes out very obviously when you look with your own eyes.

You can think what you want. 20 lbs of muscle was evenly spread amongst those three RBs physiques easily since they joined the NFL. If you can’t see that, you’re in denial. And those are just three of the top of my head. It happens with all positions. 

As for your Jones take, I disagree, but we will see. We can revisit in a couple years.

Edit: 

“Colleges bump up the numbers”

Exactly. That’s why if you go by what paper says, it looks like players don’t gain weight from college to the pros.

19 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

This kid is a machine. But nobody's seen him play. Look  at his progression, goes from MWC Special Teams player of the year, sits behind the leading rusher in Pumphrey and has over 1K yds as his backup, and then breaks Pumphrey's record getting 2248 yds last season. Kareem Hunt proved if you can play, it doesn't matter where you went. 

I think he'd be better than Duke on day 1.  

LOVE this kid. I'm not the least bit worried about the level of competition after watching Marshall Faulk come out of the same school and put in a HOF career.  Plus, I thought Penny played extremely well at the Senior Bowl.  Here's a nice article after he had his 5th consecutive game over 200 yards rushing last season http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/rashaad-penny-joins-lofty-company-5th-straight-game/story?id=51972055

This draft is so deep at RB.  Another kid nobody seems to be talking about is Auburn's 6-0 212 lb JR RB Kerryon Johnson.  Here's some of his games over 100 yards rushing in 2017:

16 att 135 yds 8.5 ypc 1 TD vrs Ga Southern

23 att 116 yds 5.0 ypc 3 TD Mississippi State

28 att 204 yds 7.3 ypc 3 TD Mississippi

31 att 156 yds 5.0 ypc 1 TD LSU

29 att 145 yds 5.0 ypc 1 TD Texas A&M (plus 5 rec 29 yards 1 TD)

32 att 167 yds 5.2 ypc 0 TD Georgia  (plus 2 rec 66 yards 1 TD)

22 att 137 yds 6.2 ypc 1 TD Louisiana-Monroe

30 att 104 yds 3.5 ypc 1 TD Alabama (plus 3 rec 21 yards + 1 completion for 3 yard TD pass)

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

LOVE this kid. I'm not the least bit worried about the level of competition after watching Marshall Faulk come out of the same school and put in a HOF career.  Plus, I thought Penny played extremely well at the Senior Bowl.  Here's a nice article after he had his 5th consecutive game over 200 yards rushing last season http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/rashaad-penny-joins-lofty-company-5th-straight-game/story?id=51972055

This draft is so deep at RB.  Another kid nobody seems to be talking about is Auburn's 6-0 212 lb JR RB Kerryon Johnson.  Here's some of his games over 100 yards rushing in 2017:

16 att 135 yds 8.5 ypc 1 TD vrs Ga Southern

23 att 116 yds 5.0 ypc 3 TD Mississippi State

28 att 204 yds 7.3 ypc 3 TD Mississippi

31 att 156 yds 5.0 ypc 1 TD LSU

29 att 145 yds 5.0 ypc 1 TD Texas A&M (plus 5 rec 29 yards 1 TD)

32 att 167 yds 5.2 ypc 0 TD Georgia  (plus 2 rec 66 yards 1 TD)

22 att 137 yds 6.2 ypc 1 TD Louisiana-Monroe

30 att 104 yds 3.5 ypc 1 TD Alabama (plus 3 rec 21 yards + 1 completion for 3 yard TD pass)

Kerryon Johnson and Josh Adams are definitely on my list,  and I was all over barkley early,  but I've cooled off after seeing penny so many times.  Reminds me of zeke.  One cut,  gone. 

The thing about penny is he's already 220 lbs.  He's a tank.  He's durable.  He may get up to around 230 lbs in a few years.  His Sr bowl presser,  he seems to have his head on straight and knows what to expect in the NFL. His brother is already there.  He's a winner of he's available in the second rd. 

And yes,  the AM radio shows are all over him down here in SD... They're all super excited about seeing him in the NFL and have me pumped up about him. 

Browns did just fine with last player drafted from SDSU... Some qb named Sipe I think? 

6 hours ago, LionOfBuddha said:

98% of the NFL is on steroids. It’s an unpopular truth. The drug tests are set up so that you have to be an idiot to fail. Stronger and faster = better product on the field. So don’t be surprised if he or anyone else puts on 15 lbs of muscle and 5 lbs of fat in the next 3-4 years. In the NFl, it happens all the time.

I'll debate the 98% number. Maybe 5% tops now. and they usually get caught. Brian Cushing and others..   

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

You're going to be very disappointed when you watch Adam's tape.   Initially had him 2nd with Guice...6 games in I dropped him completely from my mid round wants. 

I think he got injured at some point, and his numbers dropped off big time. 

8 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Kerryon Johnson and Josh Adams are definitely on my list,  and I was all over barkley early,  but I've cooled off after seeing penny so many times.  Reminds me of zeke.  One cut,  gone. 

The thing about penny is he's already 220 lbs.  He's a tank.  He's durable.  He may get up to around 230 lbs in a few years.  His Sr bowl presser,  he seems to have his head on straight and knows what to expect in the NFL. His brother is already there.  He's a winner of he's available in the second rd. 

And yes,  the AM radio shows are all over him down here in SD... They're all super excited about seeing him in the NFL and have me pumped up about him. 

Browns did just fine with last player drafted from SDSU... Some qb named Sipe I think? 

Very good points Tom!  The only nitpick I can think of is WR Patrick Rowe was the last offensive player we drafted from SDSU in round 2 at #52 overall in 92 (about 20 years after we found Sipe in round 13); and he never panned out like so many other guys WRs we drafted in round 2. That said, I appreciate the fond memory. Sipe was the ONLY League MVP I've seen playing QB here in the last 50 years or so.  Sipe and Kosar gave me my golden days as a fan. 

Not to hi-jack a thread here but I feel bad for the generations of fans that have never had the privilege of seeing quality QBs like Kosar or Sipe here.  Kosar was the only first round QB we got right but even that required a Supplemental Draft to get it done.  I like the experience volumes we've added to the FO in the sense it won't feel like we're overthinking ourselves into wearing blindfolds and swinging at a pinyatta for our QB.  I can't stay on Nexium forever.  Good Lord!

I'm ecstatic that this draft is very strong and deep at RB so we can go after bigger needs like QB, WR, DB and still manage to use one of the 3 second round picks on a RB if necessary.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'll debate the 98% number. Maybe 5% tops now. and they usually get caught. Brian Cushing and others..   

Listen man, the drug testing policy for PEDs is a joke. You get a couple days advance notice, and there are a lot of steroids these days that are out of your system in one day. The “testing” is a big PR stunt so that the fans think these guys are clean.

The only people who get caught for PEDs are idiots.

6 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Tom Brady is from the Bay Area in Cali.  Home of Barry Bonds and BALCO.  No way he's clean.  Pudgy 20 year old turned rocket-armed 40 year old.  Phuck that.

Exactly. In fact, Victor Conte (founder of Balco) was on the Joe Rogan podcast and blew the lid on steroid use in all sports. Fascinating stuff, if you’re ever on a long drive I’d highly recommend it.

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Very good points Tom!  The only nitpick I can think of is WR Patrick Rowe was the last offensive player we drafted from SDSU in round 2 at #52 overall in 92 (about 20 years after we found Sipe in round 13); and he never panned out like so many other guys WRs we drafted in round 2. That said, I appreciate the fond memory. Sipe was the ONLY League MVP I've seen playing QB here in the last 50 years or so.  Sipe and Kosar gave me my golden days as a fan. 

Patrick Rowe blew out his knee and could never come back from it.    He was a stud in college and without the injury, who knows.   It did happen 26 years ago so its possible if that same injury happens today, he actually makes it back from it.  I watched him a lot in college and was thrilled when the Browns picked him.

11 hours ago, Mark O said:

Patrick Rowe blew out his knee and could never come back from it.    He was a stud in college and without the injury, who knows.   It did happen 26 years ago so its possible if that same injury happens today, he actually makes it back from it.  I watched him a lot in college and was thrilled when the Browns picked him.

I don't remember him.  (obviously) but I didn't really follow college ball or the draft much back then.  

The interwebs weren't really in existence yet. 

19 hours ago, Mark O said:

Yeah, I remembered being really excited we drafted him too.  I forgot why he never made it like so many other 2nd round WRs we drafted - so thanks for clarifying that Mark.  Unfortunately, the NFL is a bottom line business where a guy like this still gets categorized as "never panned out" even though it's more from injury - than talent or effort.  We also drafted Auburn's Lawyer Tillman whose enormous string of bad luck with injuries forced him into an early retirement before his career ever got going.  It would have been fun watching us some "Bernie to the Attorney." 

If this type of thing happens to an upper 1st round pick - it's not uncommon to see people throwing bust labels at the guy fair or not.  For example, when former Cincy 1st overall pick out of Penn State Ki-Jana Carter blew out his knee before his rookie year ever got going - it doesn't stop the masses from calling him a bust fair or not.  Wait a second, did I just say a former Penn State RB was drafted 1st overall to a team in Ohio wearing orange and brown and his NFL career never got off the ground?  Poe?  Poe?  Where for art thou?  

Back to San Diego State, I forgot there was another 2nd round WR we drafted from that program (Webster Slaughter) in the mid 80s who emerged as a productive starter for our teams that frequented playoffs/AFC Championship Games. I think he had a Pro Bowl or 2 on his NFL resume as well. 

23 hours ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Listen man, the drug testing policy for PEDs is a joke. You get a couple days advance notice, and there are a lot of steroids these days that are out of your system in one day. The “testing” is a big PR stunt so that the fans think these guys are clean.

The only people who get caught for PEDs are idiots.

Eggs-actly. 

First of all, the NFL still only randomly tests players because we all know a multi-billion $ industry can't possibly afford to do this the right way. 

Second, how many years were the inexpensive outdated drug tests testing for drugs players stopped using decades ago?  Yeah, congrats NFL for proving nobody is taking dianabol and other drugs of the 70s and 80s.  That WHY a team like Pittsburgh employed a shadey team Dr for 22 years with such a fascination for HGH that he was investigated for his excessive purchases of HGH for clinical purposes.  They always stayed ahead of the curve like the Jerry Garcia's of pro football.  They may not have been the ONLY team using but 1 former Steeler (that played on 3 other NFL teams) said they were easily the most pervasive. 

Third, when it finally started testing for HGH - the tests weren't catching anyone.  Makes sense considering how long they prepared the black market for the time research how to pass the tests.  Here's a link of an interesting article I read about the first year of HGH Testing catching nobody via the perspective of Fran Tarkenton believe it or not  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/02/02/hgh-testing-effectiveness-questioned-debated-facade/22715375/

All the NFL has done is show it has drug testing.  Unfortunately, it's testing for things that no longer exist in lieu of funding for the types of tests necessary for drugs that do exist. Having said that, the multi-billion $ industry that just flushed 100s of millions of $ down the toilet on Roger Goodfella's salary doesn't want to waste that same kind of money on paying for the tests for drugs that ARE prevalent among NFL players today. They can easily clean this game up way better than they have chosen to do IMO. 

On 2/24/2018 at 4:33 AM, Flugel said:

Eggs-actly. 

First of all, the NFL still only randomly tests players because we all know a multi-billion $ industry can't possibly afford to do this the right way. 

Second, how many years were the inexpensive outdated drug tests testing for drugs players stopped using decades ago?  Yeah, congrats NFL for proving nobody is taking dianabol and other drugs of the 70s and 80s.  That WHY a team like Pittsburgh employed a shadey team Dr for 22 years with such a fascination for HGH that he was investigated for his excessive purchases of HGH for clinical purposes.  They always stayed ahead of the curve like the Jerry Garcia's of pro football.  They may not have been the ONLY team using but 1 former Steeler (that played on 3 other NFL teams) said they were easily the most pervasive. 

Third, when it finally started testing for HGH - the tests weren't catching anyone.  Makes sense considering how long they prepared the black market for the time research how to pass the tests.  Here's a link of an interesting article I read about the first year of HGH Testing catching nobody via the perspective of Fran Tarkenton believe it or not  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/02/02/hgh-testing-effectiveness-questioned-debated-facade/22715375/

All the NFL has done is show it has drug testing.  Unfortunately, it's testing for things that no longer exist in lieu of funding for the types of tests necessary for drugs that do exist. Having said that, the multi-billion $ industry that just flushed 100s of millions of $ down the toilet on Roger Goodfella's salary doesn't want to waste that same kind of money on paying for the tests for drugs that ARE prevalent among NFL players today. They can easily clean this game up way better than they have chosen to do IMO. 

If they really want to clean it up,  they'd have much tougher testing under USADA guidelines and longer suspensions for peds.  Look at mma,  first time you're suspended for a year.  2nd time,  2 years or longer. 

Even then,  guys still juice regularly.  And they're not making much money unless they're fighting consistently.  

Nobody wants it cleaned up.  The players want to recover faster,  the fans and nfl brass both want the freakiest athletes on the field.

6 hours ago, 7moses7 said:

Ronald Jones ll   How about some Ro Jo?

I like him  but he's smaller than Penny and Michel isn't he? The best back around 200lbs was Bryce Love by far,  but he's not coming out. 

Jones is listed at 6ft,  200lbs.  Penny is 5'11 220, Michel is 5'11 215. That's a big difference imo. 

1 hour ago, SD_Tom said:

If they really want to clean it up,  they'd have much tougher testing under USADA guidelines and longer suspensions for peds.  Look at mma,  first time you're suspended for a year.  2nd time,  2 years or longer. 

Even then,  guys still juice regularly.  And they're not making much money unless they're fighting consistently.  

Nobody wants it cleaned up.  The players want to recover faster,  the fans and nfl brass both want the freakiest athletes on the field.

I hate to say it but I totally agree Tom.  Not that you're difficult to agree with.  I think the league CAN clean it up but it doesn't want to like you say for many of the reasons you said.  I don't think I see better tackling today than I saw in the 70s to be quite honest with you. And, I certainly don't see smaller injury volumes than I saw in the 70s. Meanwhile, it isn't like our offensive WRs and RBs have been outracing defenders to end zones or out-jumping or out-muscling defenders for the ball in traffic.  In fact, in my lifetime as an NFL fan - I've never seen worse tackling than I did in 2015 while we've gone 1-31 since.  So, if we have a lot more guys JUICING than we've ever had - they're not very good at that either.  The last 3 years has easily been the worst football of my lifetime.  If memory serves me right here, we won 7 of our 8 Pro Football Championships from 1946-1955 (appearing in every Pro Football Championship Game possible in that 10 year period).  We won the last Championship #8 way back in 1964 before anybody ever even heard of steroids.

What I don't like is the league PRETENDING it's testing for steroids to improve the health/well being of the players while trying to uphold/maintain the integrity of the game.  That's why I had the long winded rant you replied to.  Either go all out and DO it - or DON'T do it at all. 

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

I hate to say it but I totally agree Tom.  Not that you're difficult to agree with.  I think the league CAN clean it up but it doesn't want to like you say for many of the reasons you said.  I don't think I see better tackling today than I saw in the 70s to be quite honest with you. And, I certainly don't see smaller injury volumes than I saw in the 70s. Meanwhile, it isn't like our offensive WRs and RBs have been outracing defenders to end zones or out-jumping or out-muscling defenders for the ball in traffic.  In fact, in my lifetime as an NFL fan - I've never seen worse tackling than I did in 2015 while we've gone 1-31 since.  So, if we have a lot more guys JUICING than we've ever had - they're not very good at that either.  The last 3 years has easily been the worst football of my lifetime.  If memory serves me right here, we won 7 of our 8 Pro Football Championships from 1946-1955 (appearing in every Pro Football Championship Game possible in that 10 year period).  We won the last Championship #8 way back in 1964 before anybody ever even heard of steroids.

What I don't like is the league PRETENDING it's testing for steroids to improve the health/well being of the players while trying to uphold/maintain the integrity of the game.  That's why I had the long winded rant you replied to.  Either go all out and DO it - or DON'T do it at all. 

I'm very difficult to agree with sometimes....LOL depends on what we're arguing about.

One of the better smaller backs I've seen was Akrum Wadley from Iowa. The Buckeyes had a hell of a time trying to contain him. 

I just think they have Duke, and Dayes.... both smaller. they need a workhorse 3 down back to take pressure off the QB, whomever it is. 

Archived