THE BROWNS BOARD

Rashaad Penny - Underrated

SD_Tom

This kid is a machine. But nobody's seen him play. Look  at his progression, goes from MWC Special Teams player of the year, sits behind the leading rusher in Pumphrey and has over 1K yds as his backup, and then breaks Pumphrey's record getting 2248 yds last season. Kareem Hunt proved if you can play, it doesn't matter where you went. 

I think he'd be better than Duke on day 1.  

1 hour ago, SD_Tom said:

This kid is a machine. But nobody's seen him play. Look  at his progression, goes from MWC Special Teams player of the year, sits behind the leading rusher in Pumphrey and has over 1K yds as his backup, and then breaks Pumphrey's record getting 2248 yds last season. Kareem Hunt proved if you can play, it doesn't matter where you went. 

I think he'd be better than Duke on day 1.  

Draft QB's at #1 and #4 and this kid in the second round.  Offense fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmCLmL4YSrw

Rather see a CB or FS at #4, but yeah. QB1, then CB or FS/SS , then this guy in rd 2 somewhere.

His brother is an NFL RB. If anyone understands what it takes, it's this guy.  He sounds ready to work his butt off to show he's the best. Being in a weak conference didn't hurt Marshall Faulk at all.... and this guy broke Faulk's record 

6 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmCLmL4YSrw

Rather see a CB or FS at #4, but yeah. QB1, then CB or FS/SS , then this guy in rd 2 somewhere.

His brother is an NFL RB. If anyone understands what it takes, it's this guy.  He sounds ready to work his butt off to show he's the best. Being in a weak conference didn't hurt Marshall Faulk at all.... and this guy broke Faulk's record 

I agree with you.  QB at 1...best player who's not a RB or QB at 4 and then draft this guy in round 2.     He did play in a small conference but as opposed to a certain small conference  QB who wilted against better competition.  This guy still put up big numbers and his team won both of those games against Pac 12 opponents Stanford and Arizona State.    18 for 216 (12 ypc avg) against ASU and 32 for 175 (5.5 ypc) against Stanford.    

9/9 @Arizona State W 30-20 18 216 12.0 95 1  
9/16 Stanford           W 20-17   32 175 5.5 36

37 minutes ago, Mark O said:

I agree with you.  QB at 1...best player who's not a RB or QB at 4 and then draft this guy in round 2.     He did play in a small conference but as opposed to a certain small conference  QB who wilted against better competition.  This guy still put up big numbers and his team won both of those games against Pac 12 opponents Stanford and Arizona State.    18 for 216 (12 ypc avg) against ASU and 32 for 175 (5.5 ypc) against Stanford.    

9/9 @Arizona State W 30-20 18 216 12.0 95 1  
9/16 Stanford           W 20-17   32 175 5.5 36

His game vs asu was incredible.  

1 hour ago, LionOfBuddha said:

He’s a good back but he can’t pass block.. AT ALL. I think that will be detrimental to his NFL career. He is really talented though.

Don’t see us drafting him because we already have Duke. I think we’re going to grab Ronald Jones II as our bellcow back in the 2nd round.

A 200lb "bellcow back"? Duke is 210 and undersized for the position.

2 hours ago, LionOfBuddha said:

He’s a good back but he can’t pass block.. AT ALL. I think that will be detrimental to his NFL career. He is really talented though.

Don’t see us drafting him because we already have Duke. I think we’re going to grab Ronald Jones II as our bellcow back in the 2nd round.

His press conference was a good watch.  Stated specifically that pass protection iswhat he's been working on for the NFL,  and he's ready to prove he's a 3 down back. 

I liked Jones usc too,  but penny is bigger than most of the other backs coming out. 

20 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

You don't draft a RB in the first 3 rounds and hope they fill out. At this point, "filling out" for Jones would be getting to Duke's size.

That’s your opinion, I respect it. I personally believe he’s a first rd talent, who will get drafted in the second round and be an absolute STEAL for whoever gets him.

Time will tell who’s right and who’s wrong

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

His press conference was a good watch.  Stated specifically that pass protection iswhat he's been working on for the NFL,  and he's ready to prove he's a 3 down back. 

I liked Jones usc too,  but penny is bigger than most of the other backs coming out. 

I didn’t see his press conference, but it’s awesome that he recognizes what he needs to work on. Sounds like a guy who works hard and is humble

52 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

You don't draft a RB in the first 3 rounds and hope they fill out. At this point, "filling out" for Jones would be getting to Duke's size.

Disagree. Duke Johnson is 5’9 210. Ronald Jones is 6’0. That height is a big difference when it comes to filling out. Jones will be 220-225 when he fills out.

I'm noticing Kerryon Johnson more and more. Three down back, powerful, pass catcher, very good pass blocker...

second round.

I think Ballage will be a steal in the 4th/5th rounds. Just seems the Browns need a power kickass rb.

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm noticing Kerryon Johnson more and more. Three down back, powerful, pass catcher, very good pass blocker...

second round.

I think Ballage will be a steal in the 4th/5th rounds. Just seems the Browns need a power kickass rb.

You can take a short trip with Kerryon Ballage.   Easier to go through airport security.

7 hours ago, Mark O said:

I agree with you.  QB at 1...best player who's not a RB or QB at 4

nice line.

At 4, if it isn't WR (that's our next important need), then take the player that will bring Peppers back from the Hinterlands.  We've GOTTA play D with eleven guys next year!

The draft is RB heavy so somewhere we've gotta come out with one.  - I'm really not over the top crazy about drafting Barkley.  Taking him will make everybody expect us to give him the ball a whole lot, every game....when really the name of the game is passing.  Of course you need to be able to run...but it's not that easy to run in the NFL anymore.  It's not like college.  The Rams had Gurley...but they made the playoffs is with Goff. - Penny seems plenty good.

Also on the draft list (if we don't think he's on the team) needs to be left tackle, to take over for JT.........and CB.  (on everyone's list, every year)

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Maybe if he was on horse steroids. 

No RB has done the transformation you just described. 

98% of the NFL is on steroids. It’s an unpopular truth. The drug tests are set up so that you have to be an idiot to fail. Stronger and faster = better product on the field. So don’t be surprised if he or anyone else puts on 15 lbs of muscle and 5 lbs of fat in the next 3-4 years. In the NFl, it happens all the time.

15 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

98% of the NFL is on steroids. It’s an unpopular truth. The drug tests are set up so that you have to be an idiot to fail. Stronger and faster = better product on the field. So don’t be surprised if he or anyone else puts on 15 lbs of muscle and 5 lbs of fat in the next 3-4 years. In the NFl, it happens all the time.

If all true, list all the RBs who gained 20-25 lbs after going pro. Should be easy.

26 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

If 98% was true you would be seeing an unholy amount of ligament and soft tissue injuries.

23 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

If all true, list all the RBs who gained 20-25 lbs after going pro. Should be easy.

I’m not a walking encyclopedia for heights and weights of players from college to the pros. However, keep in mind colleges lie about player heights and weights and no one knows the “truth” until combine and pro days. We can certainly do the eye test. Here’s a couple examples (I don’t have all day) of RBs who have certainly filled out since college. You see this in all positions, not just RBs.

Here’s Marshawn Lynch, Duke Johnson, and Jamaal Charles along with a visual depiction of 5 lbs of muscle. You’re smoking crack if you don’t see the difference in physique from college until now. 

48694C88-7C7D-4346-B336-C6706C661F6E.jpeg

DFBE4892-1108-4BA4-A2F3-D3BEFF2EE778.jpeg

8BE9BEB0-0899-41A3-998F-C559A3F1FBA4.jpeg

3326D7C5-642B-4145-B41B-4AAEC85663D9.jpeg

Archived