THE BROWNS BOARD

Options

Gunz41

A lot still has to happen: combine, pro days, free agency, etc

And assuming the Browns get their QB, what is your preference with the other pick (assuming that person is there). I have seen names from quite a few posters, so I will make the ones I remember. If it's someone else, name them.

Saquon Barkley

Quinton Nelson

Calvin Ridley

Tremaine Edmunds

Bradley Chubb

Minkah Fitzpatrick 

Derwin James 

32 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

Saquon Barkley///Pending Crowell///at #4.. I still will pass till later rounds

Quinton Nelson///pending JT//5 tackles are mocked to go 1st round in 2019 draft.Nelson would require small trade down from #4.imo

Calvin Ridley///I think C.Kirks is the better Pro..may require move up from #33 to get him..Pass on Ridley

Tremaine Edmunds///not at #4

Bradley Chubb---Best player available no doubt is this guy..

Minkah Fitzpatrick ---this is the need guy.. to get Peppers in same area code..Jamie Collins is the QB of the Defense. but this kid can line up the secondary from opponents game tape to cut the missed communications properly in half 1st season  

Derwin James--Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. he gets lost in flow of games & misses coverage assignments to roam(cause the rest he had on D sucked)..but he has the Ronnie Lott hits to take your head off..   

A)Chubb  B)Fitzpatrick

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Fitzpatrick.

He fills a big need at corner or free safety. Read an SI story on him, the Saban loves the kid. He's a perfectionist and almost like another coach on the field. 

Sounds like a Belichick pick if he could make it.

14 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Fitzpatrick.

He fills a big need at corner or free safety. Read an SI story on him, the Saban loves the kid. He's a perfectionist and almost like another coach on the field. 

The only thing is he plays for Alabama.  They usually have the most talent overall.  He could easily be another Trent Richardson and no one would know or see it. I'd take Saquon Barkley.  Our offence really needs this guy to improve our running game.  This would allow Gordon and whomever we pick up at WR along with our TEs, to get open (quickly).  

58 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

The only thing is he plays for Alabama.  They usually have the most talent overall.  He could easily be another Trent Richardson and no one would know or see it. I'd take Saquon Barkley.  Our offence really needs this guy to improve our running game.  This would allow Gordon and whomever we pick up at WR along with our TEs, to get open (quickly).  

Is Fitzpatrick a CB or a Safety?

Could he be our Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu......or Darrell Revis......or could he be Dee Milliner?

Just now, The Gipper said:

Could he be our Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu......or Darrell Revis......or could he be Dee Milliner?

Justin Gilbert ?

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

He's actually both Gip. His primary position is safety, but he's supposedly fast enough to play corner. The combine 40 will tell us.... 

Near impossible to pass on Chubb for a few reasons.

There is no one like or near him in the draft at his position

Browns would have something other team's only dream of:  2 huge bookends at DE  that would scare any team's QB and OC..

There are a plethora of solid Ss and CBs  that can be had in R2 that could be starters.

Same with RBs and WRs.

If we have gotten our qb in FA prior to draft, we could grab Chubb at 1 and then take either Barkley or Fitz at 4, one of them would be there for sure.

Having to use 1 on a QB will cost us a sure all pro starter at some position.  It sure would be ideal not to have to, but great to have the opportunity if we do.

Listening to a interview snippet today with Mikiah on NFL radio. Mikiah says "Am a true Safety at either position. I learned to play CB by watching tape of some of the greats". He thanked Sabin for trusting him at both positions..Clearly this dude loves the game. Not seeing a Rubin Foster background guy here..

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Listening to a interview snippet today with Mikiah on NFL radio. Mikiah says "Am a true Safety at either position. I learned to play CB by watching tape of some of the greats". He thanked Sabin for trusting him at both positions..Clearly this dude loves the game. Not seeing a Rubin Foster background guy here..

After  his playing career is over I can see this guy being a coach some day. Saban trusts him that much out there. The kid from FSU may be a tad better, but his leadership out there is a major factor to take him at #4.

If we end up with McCarron, then take Cubb, Fitzgerad and move up into round 1 for Sony Michel.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

After  his playing career is over I can see this guy being a coach some day. Saban trusts him that much out there. The kid from FSU may be a tad better, but his leadership out there is a major factor to take him at #4.

If we end up with McCarron, then take Cubb, Fitzgerad and move up into round 1 for Sony Michel.

You want us to end up with the #1 and #4 overall picks and skip taking QB AGAIN because A.J. McCarron is on the roster?

It feels like some of you want the Browns to never win. :lol:

50 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You want us to end up with the #1 and #4 overall picks and skip taking QB AGAIN because A.J. McCarron is on the roster?

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen ................. we know Mayfield is Manziel but which ones become Quinn and Weeden when we draft them ? :)

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

If we are taking McCarron from Cincy to play for the Browns then the only reason to do so is that you believe he really is the QB we need, not some rookie draftee. Otherwise it's a wasted deal. Let's just see how it plays out.

I believe that, no matter WHO we sign, we will draft a QB #1 this year. Obviously, none of the QBs available in FA (save Brees, who will stay in NO) have proven to be "Franchise QBs" or they wouldn't be allowed to hit FA. One of these draft eligible guys may be a Franchise QB once developed . We've passed on those types before & I don't think we will pass on them again in 2018.

Mike

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

I believe that, no matter WHO we sign, we will draft a QB #1 this year. Obviously, none of the QBs available in FA (save Brees, who will stay in NO) have proven to be "Franchise QBs" or they wouldn't be allowed to hit FA. One of these draft eligible guys may be a Franchise QB once developed . We've passed on those types before & I don't think we will pass on them again in 2018.

Mike

Cousins is the only one who I think would prevent us from drafting a QB number 1 .  The team will have too much invested in him to have then a #1 overall pick sitting behind him for 4 years.  The team has too many holes for that .

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

Cousins is the only one who I think would prevent us from drafting a QB number 1 .  The team will have too much invested in him to have then a #1 overall pick sitting behind him for 4 years.  The team has too many holes for that .

I agree Mark, but I don't consider Cousins a Franchise QB & feel he's overpriced (I don't believe he'll come here). Of course, IF we sign him, I'll support the decision & hope for the best.

Mike

40 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I agree Mark, but I don't consider Cousins a Franchise QB & feel he's overpriced (I don't believe he'll come here). Of course, IF we sign him, I'll support the decision & hope for the best.

Mike

Hes going to be way overpriced...but that's the way the market works.  He's still better than anything we've had since Bernie so I would support the decision as well.  It wouldn't be my first choice of options though.

36 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Hes going to be way overpriced...but that's the way the market works.  He's still better than anything we've had since Bernie so I would support the decision as well.  It wouldn't be my first choice of options though.

It seems we view it the same way. At least we have knowledgeable PROS in the FO making these decisions.

Mike

Geeezzz this would be the time for the BROWNS to get two studs in R1 but if they drop out/lose out of the $150M Capt Kirk insanity derby I'd go DB, Fitzpatrick. 

If they would have a second R1 pick it would be real interesting, maybe 5 or more favorite choices from this board alone, Barkley? Chubb? Other?

I agree with others in that we're drafting a QB early unless we get Cousins, and come on....that crap ain't happening people. We'll grab a young QB, sign a veteran, and may the best man win. And don't forget about Kizer (stop laughing). 

So like the original poster asked, what's next after QB? The #4 obviously greatly depends on what we do in free agency. If we somehow manage to get a free safety AND starting corner in free agency, I think that opens the door to drafting Chubb...if he's still available. What's the very best way to help your secondary? By getting to the QB WITHOUT blitzing and forcing the QB to throw it early. It's what Jacksonville and Minnesota established, and you saw how it worked for them. Chubb is listed as an outside rusher, and that's fine. Myles Garrett is quite adept at rushing from the inside position, and having depth at a premium position is never a bad thing. Of course, we can only DO THIS is we strike gold in free agency and land a corner and safety, but it can happen. 

More likely, we'll draft a corner or safety at 4, and right now it's Fitzpatrick. The ONLY concern I've heard is that he's a "tweener". He's a cross between a free safety and a corner, and that somewhat scares a few people. But not many. Fitzpatrick is more likely someone who can play safety AND come up for press coverage, making him invaluable. He's the "coach on the field" type, and if we stay put at 4, I have a VERY difficult time believing we'll pass on him. 

Since it's the draft and we're the Browns, people are terrified we're going to trade down, including me. We have the 1st and 4th picks, which is near unheard of draft capital. We also have a new GM. Now, do any of you guys REALLY believe our GM will be able to withstand the immense temptation to NOT trade down and show everyone just how smart he is? Because I don't. It's far too boring to just pick your QB at 1 and then pick again at 4. The most appealing trade partners are the teams who desperately need a QB, and the only one I'd partner with would be the Jets at 6. That means whoever we wanted at 4 would likely be available because we already have our QB (hopefully) at pick 1. This move is also popular because the Jets would leapfrog the Broncos at 5, who could also be needing a QB if neither they or the Jets got Cousins. 

Regardless, if we were to get our top rated QB AND the top rated DB in the draft, it's very difficult not to be ecstatic after day 1. Furthermore, don't be surprised if we trade back into the first round like we did last year because 1st round picks are eligible for a 5th year on their contracts, and that's extremely appealing if you're a team that needs a running back in a draft full of tantalizing RB talent. Many fans are adamant about drafting Saquon Barkley, and while he's a supremely talented player, the Browns can't afford to go offense-offense in the first round...not with so many other backs available down the road. Check out this write up on Minkah Fitzpatrick and enjoy. 

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018mfitzpatrick.php

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I agree with others in that we're drafting a QB early unless we get Cousins, and come on....that crap ain't happening people. We'll grab a young QB, sign a veteran, and may the best man win. And don't forget about Kizer (stop laughing)......

Yes and as former CBS newscaster Walter Cronkite used to say "and that's the way it is".

Will the BROWNS actually get into the most over-hyped, over-rated and potentially overpriced sports person EVER derby? Well its getting "curiouser and curiouser " I must say.

And Kizer is pretty much the BROWNS' -PLAN A- in 2018 unless one of these rookie savior quarterbacks succeed when getting thrown into the fire next.

14 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

In a perfect world we sign a great QB and take two elite non QBs 

Not a perfect world looks like two top R1 and R2 picks -unless- and not out of the possibility of trading the R2 picks and more for three top R1 picks.

Just speculation on February 24 nearly two freakin months before the draft.

19 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yes and as former CBS newscaster Walter Cronkite used to say "and that's the way it is".

Will the BROWNS actually get into the most over-hyped, over-rated and potentially overpriced sports person EVER derby? Well its getting "curiouser and curiouser " I must say.

And Kizer is pretty much the BROWNS' -PLAN A- in 2018 unless one of these rookie savior quarterbacks succeed when getting thrown into the fire next.

The sad thing is Kizer played well enough in 3-4 games to win and was let down by Corey Coleman (last game), David Njoku (dropped 3rd down pass against Green Bay that would have ended game), special teams (missed FG against Jets and punt return against Green Bay), and our defense (Colts game among others). I mean, so many things had go wrong in order to lose every game that it's difficult to even fathom. Don't get me wrong, Kizer CERTAINLY wasn't "good" and he carries much of the blame, but losing every single week isn't on him. I say this because Kizer still has a chance to win the qb job this year. He got a BUNCH of experience last year, and it's likely our offense will have more weapons in 2018. 

Kizer began to understand the value of his mobility more at the end of the year, and it became a serious weapon for him. He's not a gifted runner of the ball though, and there were SEVERAL times when he gave up a ton of yards by going out of bounds or sliding way too soon. I guess it's better than getting hurt, but he isn't what I call a natural runner. Kizer cost us touchdowns at least twice with his lack of running ability. One was against the Lions I believe, and he made a terrific read by scrambling up the middle and he had one defender to beat. All he had to do was cut back to the inside and the defender had no chance. But no. Kizer got tackled (or slid, don't remember) around the 2, and Hue Jackson could be seen yelling, "Why not cut back to inside!?!" Kizer tried to sneak it in from too far away, and we had zero timeouts, half over. Remember that? Still, someone like AJ McCarron, Case Keenum, or Sam Bradford isn't going to produce those running 1st downs or those QB sneak TDs. 

This is another reason I love Baker Mayfield, and while I wouldn't call him "fast", he certainly is quick enough to get some yards or run it in occasionally. Sam Darnold has some nice athletic ability too, but I think Mayfield is the superior candidate at this juncture. Josh Allen can run, but I think he's a terrible candidate, and I won't discuss him any further. 

Another veteran QB we don't hear much about right now is Tyrod Taylor. To be quite clear, he's not my favorite, BUT it would be foolish to dismiss him. Why? Tyrod takes care of the BALL. Remember that? He can effectively run the read-option plays we have in our offense (they worked well at times), has good speed, and can throw well enough to move the ball. Tyrod might not be a "franchise QB" in the traditional sense, but the guy squeezed his way into the playoffs last year. Remember playoffs? Me neither. Tyrod will also take some deep shots down the field, and he's VERY adept at buying time to throw it deep. I can envision Tyrod under pressure, eluding a tackle, running right and chucking a deep ball to Gordon who breaks free. 

There are downsides to Tyrod, obviously, or else he wouldn't likely be available in 2018. Tyrod doesn't get rid of the ball quickly, something Hue Jackson demands. In fact, here's a stat for you:  Tyrod ranked dead last in the league getting rid of the ball. He held it longer than anyone, and some of it has to do with evading pressure and looking to throw, and some of it has to do with not processing info quickly. Again, this is another reason why I want Baker Mayfield. To be fair, I don't have the stats for the college qb's in terms of the time it took them to throw after the snap, but when I watch Mayfield, he appears to scan the field and fire the ball extremely fast....AND accurately. 

Let me ask you something. How many times did you watch Kizer throw it to the wrong guy OR throw it late OR inaccurately? You guys remember that one failed red zone trip where Kizer threw a late, high pass to Crow at the goal line that went incomplete? If Kizer throws it quickly and accurately, that's a TD. I forget what game that was, but I believe it was a super close one (Jets?). Baker EXCELS at that stuff. Remember that play in the red zone where Higgins was open across the middle but Kizer threw it late and 6 feet behind him and it was easily picked? Another throw Baker readily makes. Poor Higgins could've had 4 more TDs if Kizer threw him better balls. Perhaps Mayfield makes them count. One more point on accuracy and I'll stop writing. How many times did we see Kizer complete a pass, but the receiver had to dive, slow down, jump backwards, or alter his route that ended up in a CATCH, but no yards after the catch? Hue and Todd Haley are HUGE fans of YAC, and that's just not something we got from Kizer on a regular basis. Watch Mayfield throw the pill, and watch what his guy can do with it after the catch. 

Archived