THE BROWNS BOARD

Larry Ogunjobi 2nd Among Rookie Interior Defenders

Sober Poet

PFF highlights the strong rookie performances by Browns’ defensive linemen

Article is a repeat of the Garret thread, plus this:

On the interior, Larry Ogunjobi saw just under 30% of the team’s defensive snaps on the season, but regularly made an impact against the run. He finished the season with 32 tackles, 1 sack, and 3 quarterback hits. His grade of 82.0 placed him second, behind only Dalvin Tomlinson of the New York Giants. Tomlinson was a second-round pick, while Ogunjobi was taken ten picks later in the third round.

DWUE7k3WAAE6sjz.jpg
Good young DL rounding into shape.  Nice pickup.

Definitely rooting for the guy! As a quick reminder he was the player ever drafted from my alma mater (UNC-Charlotte). Definitely liked what I saw from him as well giving his limiting playing time. I'd be remiss if Gregg doesn't see the potential and give him more looks out there. 

Say what you will, but a front seven rotation around Garrett, Ogbah, Larry, Collins, Shelton, Nassib, Schobery and Kirksey isn't looking too bad on paper. Gotta add some more DE depth hopefully but still, promising. 

I actually think Sashi did a pretty good job getting some of these guys. I like a lot of our guys, they are good natured and football is important to them. Those were the criteria and we seemed to excel in finding these guys. They can't win yet for Sheet but they try HARD. A think we're going to see all their work pay of with interest this year, I have a feeling. 

Were missing a steal in here..Tavon Coley is a beast..So yea, I may be the only guy that goes back & watches 0-16 game tape but that's not what am Watching..Gregg Williams needs a good swiff kick in the arrss..Not only did Peppers kill us from playing in a different area code. But Williams got caught with more sub package guessing he made it easy on QB's except Bortles. most opponents offensive plays were called at LOS with 15-12 seconds on play clock. QB was reading sub packages..It was rare but Shelton,Coley & Ogun need to stay on field. Expect Brantley to have a good camp..His last 2 games got him some playing time       

I was pleased with Okunjobi, especially considering he came from a nothing school and we were all worried about the competition he faced. What I really liked was he got some valuable experience as a rookie, and he actually managed to make some impact plays. Now, can he take that next LEAP? Can he become a force for our defense? Don't laugh, it happens for other teams. Maybe it's our turn to find a middle round difference maker? And we all know Larry is a worker. 

A sports reporter that was talking with 92 The Fan by phone was saying that Larry O was the best interior DLineman on the team and that our dumb coaches hardly ever played him.

He also claimed that we were out-coached in every game last year.  As I recall, he thought we were the worst coached team he'd ever seen...including HS & Pee-Wee.  And that playing Peppers in Punt Formation was stupid.  (I use that Punt Formation explanation also) :)  - It IS quite hard to fathom how a 1 and 31 coach was retained.  

10 hours ago, Orion said:

It IS quite hard to fathom how a 1 and 31 coach was retained.  

I still 100% believe that Hue and the coaching staff was retained by Haslam almost exclusively for the reason that Haslam needs to show the rest of the NFL - and future potential hires - that you can get a third year while trying to fix the train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns. Hue remaining with the Browns is penance for Haslam's prior sins. 

Explains why Cleveland's run defense was 4th in the NFL last season.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

The Browns defense was better than 4 of the 2017 post season teams Atlanta, KC, NE and Tenn.

The difference Ryan, Smith, Brady and Mariota. The defense had its lapses like all defense, but they were not the problem in 2017. Greg Williams should absolutely be back in 2018 and given a salary increase. Furthermore, if Huey $hits the bed, Williams can step in and save the season from another total disaster.

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I still 100% believe that Hue and the coaching staff was retained by Haslam almost exclusively for the reason that Haslam needs to show the rest of the NFL - and future potential hires - that you can get a third year while trying to fix the train wreck that is the Cleveland Browns. Hue remaining with the Browns is penance for Haslam's prior sins. 

Bingo Bango Bongo! We have a winner!:D

On 2/20/2018 at 7:44 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Shelton is a free agent after this season, I'm curious if they will give him a new contract, or let him walk and let Ogunjobi and Brantley take over. 

Excellent question and I have a probable answer. Okunjobi and Brantley offer different abilities than Danny. Danny is more of a run stuffer and space eating machine. He often requires a double team, which could open things up for other people. He can sometimes push back the pocket and get a little penetration, but that's not his game. Danny took a big step after his rookie year and started to get some nice recognition. However, Brantley and Okunjobi provide different skill sets, and they are both more of slasher and penetrating type guys who can cut through the line and blow up a play early. Brantley AND Okunjobi could BOTH end up being steals in the draft, in fact, I'd bet money on it. To answer the question, Danny isn't going ANYWHERE. He's in his 4th season with us, and he was a first round pick. That means we can sign him to the optional 5th year that comes along with all first round selections. We won't have to "re-sign" him until after the 2019, but it's likely we'll extend him before that because he's a very solid player. 

On 2/20/2018 at 9:15 PM, gumby73 said:

Were missing a steal in here..Tavon Coley is a beast..So yea, I may be the only guy that goes back & watches 0-16 game tape but that's not what am Watching..Gregg Williams needs a good swiff kick in the arrss..Not only did Peppers kill us from playing in a different area code. But Williams got caught with more sub package guessing he made it easy on QB's except Bortles. most opponents offensive plays were called at LOS with 15-12 seconds on play clock. QB was reading sub packages..It was rare but Shelton,Coley & Ogun need to stay on field. Expect Brantley to have a good camp..His last 2 games got him some playing time       

In fairness, there was a TON of inexperience with Coley, Ogunjobi, Brantley, Peppers and others.  That said, Coley is a beast in Williams' system while he was undrafted out of another system.  Ogunjobi came from a football program that very infrequently equips the NFL with starters - and yet we're talking about him in a positive way too.  Before we lost Meder to injury - PFF had 3 of our defensive line ranked in the top 6 against the run.  We lost 2 of those guys to injury (Ogbah and Meder) shortly thereafter.  As much as a team coming off 1 -15 football couldn't afford to lose the #1 and #4 ranked guys against the run - we're speaking very highly of DTs stepping up in the rotation regardless of their inexperience. In the process, our DT tandems were badass enough to keep Schobert blocker-free enough to lead the NFL in tackles to earm a Pro Bowl alternate honor. I don't see that as a bad reflection of Gregg Williams at all.

Gregg Williams has been a DC for the following productive Safeties in the NFL - Malcolm Jenkins (on a position change from Corner) as a rookie for the Superbowl Champion Saints, Sean Taylor in Washington, Blaine Bishop for the Super-Bowl Runner-up Titans to the Rams in 99, and I think Peppers was the only one he exercised extreme caution with (which could have been since he was used way more like an extra LBer at Missedagain).  And I'm willing to bet all those teams had WAY better/more talented corners than we relied on in 2017.  Having said that, Williams brought Peppers up closer to the line of scrimmage the last game vrs Pittsburgh and he had an INT, Sack and a big day (easily the closest he looked all season to the guy he was in college).  I think we'll see more of that especially if we improve our talent and depth at corner.   I'm not a big fan of Jamar Taylor at all - we overpaid a guy Miami completely gave up on.  While I LIKE how McCourtey played before his ankle injury - his 31 years of age prevented him from healing just as much as coming back too soon from injury did. We HAVE to improve our corners if we ever want to compete against the Antonio Browns, AJ greens and JuJu Smith-Schusters of the division.

37 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm beyond excited that we kept our head coach, and I wouldn't be surprised if we are rewarded by our owner's patience. Hue is in year 3, hopefully we have some guys "making the leap", and we're armed with a ton of early picks and cold, hard cash. Look, we didn't win a single game last year, I get it. I'm not expecting us to warp into a dominant team overnight. However, we're getting back some serious players from injury, we're probably going to have a veteran QB starting the season, and we might have Josh Gordon from spring to winter. On defense, we're going to have a nice front 7, HOPEFULLY some secondary help in free agency and the draft, and HOPEFULLY some guys take that next step to become badasses. Also, don't forget we have Myles Garrett, the former #1 pick. He could develop into an absolute menace in 2018, and something tells me we're going to figure out how to use him the best way possible. 

Again, I'm not going crazy here. I'm not saying we're taking home the AFC North or anything like that. What I AM saying is that I see a very real possibility our young team goes from zero wins to something around 5 or even 6 if some things go our way. We need to force WAY more turnovers, commit FAR less, and we need to score more TDs in the red zone while forcing more FG's on defense. Nail the freaking draft. Don't get cute and trade down like a bunch of asshats. Overpay a few select guys in free agency, and let's win some freaking games so we can keep our coach, really BUILD something, and finally dig our butts out of this abysmal hole we've been dying in for 18 years. 

1-31 has a purpose..open both these https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/2/24/17049436/pff-browns-had-the-fourth-most-rookie-snaps-in-2017    https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/26/browns-rookies-played-over-1000-more-snaps-than-any-other-teams-in-2016/   pay close attention to the 3 teams ahead of us in 2017..The Shasi Brown plan to strip down maybe the worst. The Coaching gets it's well deserved blame but Dorsey & crew were needed because he's right..You can't strip cupboards bare if ya can't finish with proper Talent Evaluators to Evaluate talent on field..Sorry but, here we sit with 2nd hand picks as our core (exclude DT's & TE's maybe) for Dorsey to start with..Am firmly believing Hue was correct saying "No coach could have survived last season here." The actual Football people (Coaches) got very little say in concenius thinking.. 

21 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm beyond excited that we kept our head coach, and I wouldn't be surprised if we are rewarded by our owner's patience. Hue is in year 3, hopefully we have some guys "making the leap", and we're armed with a ton of early picks and cold, hard cash. Look, we didn't win a single game last year, I get it. I'm not expecting us to warp into a dominant team overnight. However, we're getting back some serious players from injury, we're probably going to have a veteran QB starting the season, and we might have Josh Gordon from spring to winter. On defense, we're going to have a nice front 7, HOPEFULLY some secondary help in free agency and the draft, and HOPEFULLY some guys take that next step to become badasses. Also, don't forget we have Myles Garrett, the former #1 pick. He could develop into an absolute menace in 2018, and something tells me we're going to figure out how to use him the best way possible. 

Again, I'm not going crazy here. I'm not saying we're taking home the AFC North or anything like that. What I AM saying is that I see a very real possibility our young team goes from zero wins to something around 5 or even 6 if some things go our way. We need to force WAY more turnovers, commit FAR less, and we need to score more TDs in the red zone while forcing more FG's on defense. Nail the freaking draft. Don't get cute and trade down like a bunch of asshats. Overpay a few select guys in free agency, and let's win some freaking games so we can keep our coach, really BUILD something, and finally dig our butts out of this abysmal hole we've been dying in for 18 years. 

DADBLAST Ya!  I just had to change my underwear!!!!

I'm excited that Hue is finally going to be the Head Coach he was hired to be instead spending all his time as an OC trying to square peg a round holes.   This may sound outrageous but I think the guy can be a WAY better Head Coach than he is an OC.  For example, I like his choices of DC and OC.  He's also got the personality and the team played hard for him while the vets all seemed to back him big time (except for maybe Crowell and the lost soul Kenny Brat). 

Our record was 0-16 but there were a lot of games that weren't decided until the 4th quarter suggesting a better competitive value than the record if that made any sense at all.  The Rams just went from 3 wins to 11 wins in 1 off season.   In 98 to 99 they went from 5 wins to a Superbowl Championship after losing the FA QB (Trent Green) they spent all kinds of cake on for an inexperienced former Arena and NFL Europe QB.  What did they add?  Marshall Faulk and Torry Holt while Ike Bruce was finally over his 2 year struggle with pulled hammies and groins.  Not saying we're going that far this fast - BUT I'm not going to restrict how many games we should win to something as absurd as 2 or 3.

Ogbah was kicking tail and so was Meder when we lost them.  When Garrett was only 60-70% healthy - he gave us about 7 sacks in 10 games or so.  We have the FA $ and 5 picks in the first 2 rounds plus the very 1st pick of round 3 reminding me we can improve our depth and talent at WR and DB while snagging our pick of the litter at QB in the draft and FA. 

1 thing we always have to remember no matter what happens - "WE'RE ALL HERE BECAUSE WE'RE NOT ALL THERE!"

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

DADBLAST Ya!  I just had to change my underwear!!!!

I'm excited that Hue is finally going to be the Head Coach he was hired to be instead spending all his time as an OC trying to square peg a round holes.   This may sound outrageous but I think the guy can be a WAY better Head Coach than he is an OC.  For example, I like his choices of DC and OC.  He's also got the personality and the team played hard for him while the vets all seemed to back him big time (except for maybe Crowell and the lost soul Kenny Brat). 

Our record was 0-16 but there were a lot of games that weren't decided until the 4th quarter suggesting a better competitive value than the record if that made any sense at all.  The Rams just went from 3 wins to 11 wins in 1 off season.   In 98 to 99 they went from 5 wins to a Superbowl Championship after losing the FA QB (Trent Green) they spent all kinds of cake on for an inexperienced former Arena and NFL Europe QB.  What did they add?  Marshall Faulk and Torry Holt while Ike Bruce was finally over his 2 year struggle with pulled hammies and groins.  Not saying we're going that far this fast - BUT I'm not going to restrict how many games we should win to something as absurd as 2 or 3.

Ogbah was kicking tail and so was Meder when we lost them.  When Garrett was only 60-70% healthy - he gave us about 7 sacks in 10 games or so.  We have the FA $ and 5 picks in the first 2 rounds plus the very 1st pick of round 3 reminding me we can improve our depth and talent at WR and DB while snagging our pick of the litter at QB in the draft and FA. 

1 thing we always have to remember no matter what happens - "WE'RE ALL HERE BECAUSE WE'RE NOT ALL THERE!"

And to think we aren't even 4-0 preseason and late August yet. We haven't even drafted and the Browns Kool-Aid is flowing strong again already.:rolleyes::P:D

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And to think we aren't even 4-0 preseason and late August yet. We haven't even drafted and the Browns Kool-Aid is flowing strong again already.:rolleyes::P:D

That ain't Kool-Aid man. It's more than colored sugar water. It's 6 draft picks in the 1st 108 selections + the most money to spend in FA + getting some of our best run-defenders back healthy + plus more experienced younger players returning +..... We interrupt this reply with a 4th cup of turbo-caffeinated coffee. 

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

In fairness, there was a TON of inexperience with Coley, Ogunjobi, Brantley, Peppers and others.  That said, Coley is a beast in Williams' system while he was undrafted out of another system.  Ogunjobi came from a football program that very infrequently equips the NFL with starters - and yet we're talking about him in a positive way too.  Before we lost Meder to injury - PFF had 3 of our defensive line ranked in the top 6 against the run.  We lost 2 of those guys to injury (Ogbah and Meder) shortly thereafter.  As much as a team coming off 1 -15 football couldn't afford to lose the #1 and #4 ranked guys against the run - we're speaking very highly of DTs stepping up in the rotation regardless of their inexperience. In the process, our DT tandems were badass enough to keep Schobert blocker-free enough to lead the NFL in tackles to earm a Pro Bowl alternate honor. I don't see that as a bad reflection of Gregg Williams at all.

Gregg Williams has been a DC for the following productive Safeties in the NFL - Malcolm Jenkins (on a position change from Corner) as a rookie for the Superbowl Champion Saints, Sean Taylor in Washington, Blaine Bishop for the Super-Bowl Runner-up Titans to the Rams in 99, and I think Peppers was the only one he exercised extreme caution with (which could have been since he was used way more like an extra LBer at Missedagain).  And I'm willing to bet all those teams had WAY better/more talented corners than we relied on in 2017.  Having said that, Williams brought Peppers up closer to the line of scrimmage the last game vrs Pittsburgh and he had an INT, Sack and a big day (easily the closest he looked all season to the guy he was in college).  I think we'll see more of that especially if we improve our talent and depth at corner.   I'm not a big fan of Jamar Taylor at all - we overpaid a guy Miami completely gave up on.  While I LIKE how McCourtey played before his ankle injury - his 31 years of age prevented him from healing just as much as coming back too soon from injury did. We HAVE to improve our corners if we ever want to compete against the Antonio Browns, AJ greens and JuJu Smith-Schusters of the division.

Yeah, we're desperate for increased CB talent and depth. We're likely to overspend on a free agent, but that's fine. Money is the one thing that we actually HAVE at the moment, so if we come away from free agency with a starting CB that we had to pay too much for, I'm fine with it. We'll also have to draft one early, most likely with one of our 2nd rounders. Additionally, we'll have to address free safety both in the draft AND free agency because we literally don't have one on our roster. We had that no-name kid for the last two games or so who gave up a TD, but I'm not sure he'll be back. 

There are a few nice names that are anticipated being available for free agency, and there will likely be a few more when roster bonuses are given out and teams make those difficult decisions. I have to admit, I'm worried about Peppers. I realize he was a rookie and was learning all new stuff, but he certainly didn't have the look of an impact player to me. Not on defense or special teams. 

54 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I have to admit, I'm worried about Peppers. I realize he was a rookie and was learning all new stuff, but he certainly didn't have the look of an impact player to me. Not on defense or special teams. 

:lol::lol:                 It's almost like "nobody" saw that coming.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

:lol::lol:                 It's almost like "nobody" saw that coming.  

What also hurt was the fact we essentially got nothing out of Peppers on special teams either. I know many fans thought, "Well, he's learning a new position, but at least he'll be awesome on special teams and we'll get a few game-changing plays from him." Yeah....not so much. I remember some people saying he'd flip the field, cause punters to kick it out of bounds, and blah blah blah. He's got so much to prove to me that it ain't funny, and Gregg does too. Somebody mentioned Peppers played his best game during the last match with the Steelers. Well, why did it take Gregg so long to move him closer? Anyway, he was a rookie and gets a bit of slack, but that slack is now gone. Time to show up when it matters, kid. 

Archived