THE BROWNS BOARD

■ 2018 MARCH MADNESS ■ March 11 to April 2, 2018

mjp28

Time for the greatest tournament in all of sports! 

The official site:  https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/bracket-beat/march-madness-dates-tournament-schedule

March Madness 2018 dates and schedule
ROUND SITE DATE(S)
Selection Sunday N/A March 11
First Four Dayton March 13-14
First/Second Pittsburgh March 15 & 17
First/Second Wichita March 15 & 17
First/Second Dallas March 15 & 17
First/Second Boise March 15 & 17
First/Second Charlotte March 16 & 18
First/Second Detroit March 16 & 18
First/Second Nashville March 16 & 18
First/Second San Diego March 16 & 18
Midwest Regional Omaha March 23 & 25
West Regional Los Angeles March 22 & 24
South Regional Atlanta March 22 & 24
East Regional Boston March 23 & 25
Final Four San Antonio March 31, April 2

NOTE: I hijacked the college football forum for March Madness maybe the mods can change it to the COLLEGE SPORTS FORUM? Just a thought.

From SI  https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/02/19/ncaa-tournament-bracket-watch-kansas-purdue-duke-rhode-island

TOURNAMENT BRACKET WATCH

By MICHAEL BELLER 
February 19, 2018

There are less than three weeks until Selection Sunday, but the bracket picture isn’t gaining much, if any, clarity. In the seven days of games since the Selection Committee revealed its top-16 teams, all the No. 1 seeds other than Virginia lost a game. There is uncertainty at the top of the field—with at least six teams in the mix for the final No. 1 seed—and at the bottom of the field, where the last teams in and first teams out seem to shuffle every couple of days. It’s going to be a bracket-shaping three weeks to end the regular season. Find out where we believe everything stands in this week’s Bracket Watch.

LAST FOUR IN

Louisville
Baylor
Washington
St. Bonaventure

FIRST FIVE OUT

Syracuse
UCLA
USC
LSU
Marquette

NEXT FIVE OUT

Temple
Mississippi State
Boise State
Nebraska
Georgia

MIDWEST REGION

Michigan State pulled off one of the key wins of the season on Saturday when it rallied from a 27-point, second-half deficit to beat Northwestern, 65-60. The Wildcats may be nowhere near the at-large picture, and you could rightly question why the Spartans got in so deep a hole in the first place, but all that really matters for our discussion here is that they came out of the game with a win. A loss to a team like Northwestern would have significantly damaged the Spartans argument that they, too, belong in the No. 1 seed discussion. The lack of depth in the Big Ten this season won’t afford any of its tournament-bound teams the luxury of dropping a game to one of its lesser opponents while still being considered top-line material. Michigan State is 14th in RPI with the 84th-toughest strength of schedule. Part of their top-seed appeal is that their only losses are to Duke, Ohio State and Michigan. They protected that by pulling out of the skid at Northwestern on Saturday.

Won't pay much attention to college basketball until after the Olympics.  I used to...but to me the one and done rule killed that sport.   That and the "Blue Blood Hegemony".   I have NO interest in just watching like the same 5-6 teams always taking it.  Duke, NC, KY, Kansas etc.  BORING.

The Olympics will be over February 25th well before the NCAA tournaments take place. And you're right about the big money teams having an advantage to win the tournament but the trip there like some of the runner-up teams are interesting even some BIG TEN teams. The excitement of the tournament isn't just the last game. 

YEAR CHAMPION (RECORD) COACH SCORE RUNNER-UP SITE
2017 North Carolina (33-7) Roy Williams 71-65 Gonzaga Phoenix, Ariz.
2016 Villanova (35-5) Jay Wright 77-74 North Carolina Houston, Texas
2015 Duke (35-4) Mike Krzyzewski 68-63 Wisconsin Indianapolis, Ind.
2014 Connecticut (32-8) Kevin Ollie 60-54 Kentucky Arlington, Texas
2013 Louisville (35-5) Rick Pitino 82-76 Michigan Atlanta, Ga.
2012 Kentucky (38-2) John Calipari 67-59 Kansas New Orleans, La.
2011 Connecticut (32-9) Jim Calhoun 53-41 Butler Houston, Texas
2010 Duke (35-5) Mike Krzyzewski 61-59 Butler Indianapolis, Ind.
2009 North Carolina (34-4) Roy Williams 89-72 Michigan State Detroit, Mich.
2008 Kansas (37-3) Bill Self 75-68 (OT) Memphis San Antonio, Texas

13 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The Olympics will be over February 25th well before the NCAA tournaments take place. And you're right about the big money teams having an advantage to win the tournament but the trip there like some of the runner-up teams are interesting even some BIG TEN teams. The excitement of the tournament isn't just the last game. 

YEAR CHAMPION (RECORD) COACH SCORE RUNNER-UP SITE
2017 North Carolina (33-7) Roy Williams 71-65 Gonzaga Phoenix, Ariz.
2016 Villanova (35-5) Jay Wright 77-74 North Carolina Houston, Texas
2015 Duke (35-4) Mike Krzyzewski 68-63 Wisconsin Indianapolis, Ind.
2014 Connecticut (32-8) Kevin Ollie 60-54 Kentucky Arlington, Texas
2013 Louisville (35-5) Rick Pitino 82-76 Michigan Atlanta, Ga.
2012 Kentucky (38-2) John Calipari 67-59 Kansas New Orleans, La.
2011 Connecticut (32-9) Jim Calhoun 53-41 Butler Houston, Texas
2010 Duke (35-5) Mike Krzyzewski 61-59 Butler Indianapolis, Ind.
2009 North Carolina (34-4) Roy Williams 89-72 Michigan State Detroit, Mich.
2008 Kansas (37-3) Bill Self 75-68 (OT) Memphis San Antonio, Texas

I agree....the real excitement is the first weekend....and a bit when they get down to the Sweet 16.  The Final Four far less interesting....though it would have been much better had Gonzaga/Butler/Wisconsin pulled off some of those games.

What would be sweet would be if NC, Duke, KY, Kansas would all lose in that first weekend.

If all of the #1 seeds went down the networks would go crazy with that fan base diminish greatly. 

NOW in all these years and the new format a #16 team has NEVER beaten a #1 seed, been close a very few times but will it ever happen?

D'UH big bracket tip, push all of your #1 seeds up one. :lol:

On 2/20/2018 at 10:52 AM, The Gipper said:

I agree....the real excitement is the first weekend....and a bit when they get down to the Sweet 16.  The Final Four far less interesting....though it would have been much better had Gonzaga/Butler/Wisconsin pulled off some of those games.

What would be sweet would be if NC, Duke, KY, Kansas would all lose in that first weekend.

Obviously I watch them all but there were some close games including one OT, I do remember the Zags and Butler excitement, oh well a little guy besides Nova will win......someday. 

Will anybody ever go undefeated again......besides that true gentleman Bobby Knight, :lol:

Oh also note the winning coaches names, they are the best and on the best "money schools". No coincidence there.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:24 PM, mjp28 said:

Obviously I watch them all but there were some close games including one OT, I do remember the Zags and Butler excitement, oh well a little guy besides Nova will win......someday. 

Will anybody ever go undefeated again......besides that true gentleman Bobby Knight, :lol:

Oh also note the winning coaches names, they are the best and on the best "money schools". No coincidence there.

AHH, yes,  the "Money" Schools.  I.e.  those that are now under investigation by the FBI.

Can you imagine a tournament where the likes of Duke, NC, KY,  Kansas, Mich. St., Arizona and others under investigation are "not invited"? 

I can imagine it and hope for it.   So now we know what the real key to these schools success has been....not talent, not necessarily coaching...but money....bribing the best players to go to those schools.  Put them all on a 2 year tournament ban. 

Plus....The NBA needs to change its rules  (you know that the one and done IS NOT an NCAA rule...it is an NBA rule).   You can come out of high school and turn pro if you want....go to the NBA or the D league or something.  But...if you go to college...you MUST stay there for 3 years. 

Many or most of the top kids would likely NOT go to college...they would go pro.   That would allow for a purer NCAA (it would never be totally pure)...where it would actually be college kids playing college ball....and not just one year mercenaries. 

This all strikes at the heart of the amateur/professional athlete relationship and the role of one of my favorite topics $MONEY$ in this fine country. How can you have such diverse rules for all of the major sports and also the "other" sports. Only MLB has a true and rather expensive  minor league system and you can draft high school or foreign players, the NFL has used and influenced the NCAA since time began, the NBA well if you're extremely talented  (LeBron, Kobe) you can jump to the pros if not you put in your apprenticeship in the NCAA then see if you're "draft worthy" if not you eventually return to where you came from.

I do believe Maurice Clarett had every right to turn pro after his one year NCAA NFL internship and got squashed like a bug because he would have threatened their very profitable symbiotic relationship with "college football" in all it's amateur glory.

(Oh once long ago I actually was the mod on a sports board's  $MONEY$ forum because so many primarily younger members used to ask me so many questions on the subject like taxes, investing, mortgages, you name it so we consolidated it into one spot.)

The NHL who really knows, golf, tennis, bowling (yes bowling) there's college and/or when you think you're good enough get some sponsors and make a run at it.

It all still centers around the thing that greases all wheels in life the relationship of money and how things work. 

Gifts for players goes back to the 1960s that I saw when great high school players that I knew got cash, clothes, cars and yes hookers while recruiting. 

SO BAN the big money schools in the March Madness tournament?  It would be explosive and you'll see how mad it gets! Who knows  #16 seed might actually beat a #1 seed.

CAN YOU IMAGINE IF BECAME THE LAW IN ALL SPORTS? Oye!

Official Rules

The Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft is held every year in June by conference call among the 30 Major League Clubs. The Clubs take turns selecting players in reverse order of their won-lost records at the close of the previous regular season. The order of selection is without regard to League.

The Major League Rules govern which players are eligible for selection in the Draft. These Rules are detailed, but the basic eligibility criteria can be described as follows: Generally, a player is eligible for selection if the player is a resident of the United States or Canada and the player has never before signed a Major League or Minor League contract. Residents of Puerto Rico and other territories of the United States are eligible for the Draft. Also considered residents are players who enroll in a high school or college in the United States, regardless of where they are from originally.

Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

A Club generally retains the rights to sign a selected player until 11:59 PM (EDT) August 15, or until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college on a full-time basis. A player who is drafted and does not sign with the Club that selected him may be drafted again at a future year's Draft, so long as the player is eligible for that year's Draft. A Club may not select a player again in a subsequent year, unless the player has consented to the re-selection.

A player who is eligible to be selected and is passed over by every Club becomes a free agent and may sign with any Club until the player enters, or returns to, a four-year college full-time or enters, or returns to, a junior college.

This description is a general one and the Major League Rules themselves, not this summary, govern eligibility issues. Players and coaches with questions about particular players are referred to the Baseball Operations Department at the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball.

BIG TEN CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT  from NYC

First Round: Feb. 28
Second Round: March 1
Quarterfinals: March 2
Semifinals: March 3
Championship: March 4
SCOREBOARD

For all men's action ending Selection Sunday March 11, 2018:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-28/ncaa-conference-tournament-schedule-tracking-march-madness

Saturday 3/3/18, and no Ohio State? 

Penn State knocked off Ohio State for the third time this season 69-68, thanks to a game-winning dunk from Josh Reaves.

2:00 PM ET

School Score Status
Michigan
26-7

Mich. St.
29-3

4:30 PM ET

School Score Status

Penn St.
21-12

Purdue
27-5

•  

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I guess the Buckeyes will be rested up for the NCAA tournament.

Historically in football and basketball the BIG TEN always wrapped up maybe too early, in football before Thanksgiving and Christmas and sometimes New Year's Day which was an eternity for players to eat and get out of shape for a big New Year's Day game . In basketball I think a week is nice, more if you're out early.

And it's kind of nuts waiting until March 10 or 11 to wrap things up and then start the tournament on March 13 or 14......not that far away now.

AND THINK ABOUT JOINING IN ON OUR MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT HERE, SHOULD BE CRANKING UP SOON.

I MAY ALSO GET A SMALL ONE OF MY OWN CRANKED UP AGAIN IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN PLAYING ANOTHER BRACKET OR UP TO FIVE TOTAL.

Michigan BIG TEN CHAMPIONS from Madison Square Garden.......strange being there? No Midwest flavor at all.

School 1 2 Score Status
Michigan
28-7
38 37 75  
Purdue
28-6
33 33 66

On 3/3/2018 at 2:09 PM, mjp28 said:

Historically in football and basketball the BIG TEN always wrapped up maybe too early, in football before Thanksgiving and Christmas and sometimes New Year's Day which was an eternity for players to eat and get out of shape for a big New Year's Day game . In basketball I think a week is nice, more if you're out early.

And it's kind of nuts waiting until March 10 or 11 to wrap things up and then start the tournament on March 13 or 14......not that far away now.

AND THINK ABOUT JOINING IN ON OUR MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT HERE, SHOULD BE CRANKING UP SOON.

I MAY ALSO GET A SMALL ONE OF MY OWN CRANKED UP AGAIN IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN PLAYING ANOTHER BRACKET OR UP TO FIVE TOTAL.

If anyone is interested I have a bracket set up you can play up to 5 plays if you want just let me know and I'll send you the information. 

Archived