THE BROWNS BOARD

Garrett Top Rookie Edge Defender, #12 Overall

Sober Poet

Myles Garrett blows away field as PFF's top rookie edge defender

Myles Garrett made quite an impression in his rookie year. Despite missing a handful of games with injuries, the No. 1 overall pick handily graded out as the top rookie edge defender. Garrett scored nearly 10 points higher than the next-closest rookie, Cincinnati’s Carl Lawson, according to Pro Football Focus’ grading.

The top graded rookie edge defenders!

The “edge” designation, for those unfamiliar, is a combination of 3-4 outside linebackers, 4-3 defensive ends (what Garrett plays) and other players who line up outside the tackles whose primary role is to rush the passer and stop perimeter runs.

Garrett finished 12th overall amongst edge defenders on the season and was the highest-graded edge in the AFC North.

58 minutes ago, nickers said:

Now lets see if he can present for a whole season.

If he does and he could he'd be a great #1 pick in one of the two most important positions on the field QB and DE.

58 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Why though did it seem that he had very little impact on the games he played in?    That is my eyeball examination anyway.  The one big impact play he made got overturned unfortunately. 

Von Miller gets about 2-3 impact plays per game and only a few turn into game changers. But he does cause disruption in terms of number of people occupied in keeping him neutralized. Without Ware on the other end though, that became easier to do even though Miller is the same player. Without at least Ogbah, Garrett by himself can be no more effective than Miller was in 2017. Let's see how they do when both are healthy at the same time and a viable alternative in the rotation not named Orchard is added to the mix.

EDIT: Also look at how quickly the ball was out of the hands of opposing QBs against the Browns, often times just before Garrett arrived. With better DBs more of those will turn into game changers either through sacks, throwaways or ints.

Well, in legal circles there was/is   this law called  The Rule Against Perpetutities.    Its primary purpose was to prohibit someone from trying to govern the distribution of his wealth for too lengthy a period after his death.  (very complex...but generally it prohibited control to a "life in being plus 21 years).

If a bequest violated the Rule Against Perpetuities, then the attempt to control that wealth could be declared void ab initio.

So, Now it seem the bequest to us all of a distribution of a playing Browns team  must not have violate the  Rule Against Perpetuties.  They have been perpetually awful...and may be for a 21 year period.  When hopefully the Shmucking dead hand of Art Modell and his curse lets go. We are now in the 20th year of that curse that is ruling us from the Grave.  (In Modell's case.....we are talking about when he was dead to us...not when he physically died) 

But there was also another variant to this rule:   the Wait and See factor.  It said that, no, the bequest is not void ab initio even if it appears to violate the rule,  but that a Wait and See Approach would be utilized.  

So...for Garrett....I think we are all living under the Wait and See Variant.  So far, as far as I am concerned, we have NOT seen him have an impact.   We/I are in Wait and See Mode on Garrett.   I am waiting and I better damn well see more impact from him in the future.

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL!  ^^^^ Wait 'til next season?(Cliff Notes version).:D

I do expect vast improvements.    Like Woody with Peppers,  were here hold all you Aggie faggies personally responsible for his performance :o

You completely let us down before.....so you got some serious redemption mandates going for you.

56 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I do expect vast improvements.    Like Woody with Peppers,  were here hold all you Aggie faggies personally responsible for his performance :o

You completely let us down before.....so you got some serious redemption mandates going for you.

JFF is ready for a return engagement #secondchance2018:P

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

JFF is ready for a return engagement #secondchance2018:P

No.....all that is left to be done with the JFF situation is for you and wargo et al....to commit corporal mortification over that situation.  and pray to God that you don't have to do it again. So you guys had better get it over from your first sin against God....before another one ends up in your ledger.

Just goes to prove how analytics are worthless, let your own eyes be the judge. Not one game changing play all season. Lets hope for our sake he has a break out 2nd season. First hurdle will be getting through training camp without getting injured.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

No.....all that is left to be done with the JFF situation is for you and wargo et al....to commit corporal mortification over that situation.  and pray to God that you don't have to do it again. So you guys had better get it over from your first sin against God....before another one ends up in your ledger.

You forget I was the one who first brought attention to Garrett as a good pick for the Browns. I double downed on that pick to make up for JFF. Keel haul might be the only punishment that fits the crime if he fails me too. Yo ho ho and a bottle of Diplomatica.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, TopDawg31 said:

Not one game changing play all season.

...a few things:

Injuries stunted his growth in training camp, then preseason, and during the season.  (I've got a bad feeling that injuries are going to be a problem with him)

He's a rookie.

He's one of the eleven guys that tackle people.  Very rare that you come across a guy that can control a game on defense.  His team went 0-16 for a reason...he personally was not going to win games for us.  We needed a game changing player on offense.  A competent QB could've won us a few games.

hijack to Kizer -  I'm blaming Kizer.  And we're all blaming Kizer.  He gave it to the other team most of the few times that we got in the red zone.  But sadly, it's NOT fair to blame poor Kizer.  College QB's come into the league now knowing NOTHING of what it's like to run an NFL offense.  They've never spit out a play in a huddle all through college.  They're never under center, always in a spread. - He was never supposed to play last year.  He just got caught up in a situation where the looney toons that were in charge of the QB position let McCown go and went into the season with Kizer and 2 second year guys who'd neither had ever won an NFL game.  Kizer almost won the job by default.  (the poor kid)  -  Kizer DID at times look bad though...I mean some really bad (inaccurate) passes...but even THAT could've been from things just moving very fast for him.  As has been said before, other great QB's have been quite bad in their rookie seasons.  Kizer deserves a roster spot next year and a chance to progress...but we should STILL draft a QB #1 overall and find a veteran to play now.  I like Sam Bradford, but he's brittle...but then, tough as nails McCown is always injured too.

hijack over - If he doesn't get hurt again, Myles should improve a bit in his second year.  If we can get him help on the other side and someone so that Peppers can play where he SHOULD be playing, the D could take some steps up the charts of team defense.  

I've talked about a couple of things here; Pass and Rush The Passer.  That's the nutshell of today's NFL.  Last year they drafted the 'Rush The Passer' guy.  He couldn't get us a single win.  Now, we need the 'Pass' guy.  

1 hour ago, TopDawg31 said:

Just goes to prove how analytics are worthless, let your own eyes be the judge. Not one game changing play all season. Lets hope for our sake he has a break out 2nd season. First hurdle will be getting through training camp without getting injured.

Fair statement.

43 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You forget I was the one who first brought attention to Garrett as a good pick for the Browns. I double downed on that pick to make up for JFF. Keel haul might be the only punishment that fits the crime if he fails me too. Yo ho ho and a bottle of Diplomatica.:rolleyes:

Yea....we KNOW....you are the Chairman of the Aggie Faggies for Gayrett team!:P

And sure, keelhauling may indeed be in order for you. And that is one nasty torture.  Corporal Mortification would be better.

He's one of the eleven guys that tackle people.  Very rare that you come across a guy that can control a game on defense.  His team went 0-16 for a reason...he personally was not going to win games for us.  We needed a game changing player on offense.  A competent QB could've won us a few games.

We need a game changing player on defense as well.  Garrett did not provide that.  Hopefully he will. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

He's one of the eleven guys that tackle people.  Very rare that you come across a guy that can control a game on defense. 

did you ever watch Joey Bosa play?

42 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

A good DE can barrel into a QB and disrupt his game; two can take over a game. And it makes life easier for the DB and LB Corp; easy picks! 

.......oh and help control the clock; get better field position and most importantly make the fans happy. 

Being a blitzing DE in the NFL is t its. 

I think the average offensive snaps in the nfl is 65 a game. So if you play 80% of the snaps on defense that’s 52 snaps a game. So that’s 832 snaps a year. So be conservative and cut the 832 in half to account for passing plays vs running plays and you are at 416.

If you record 10 sacks a year your a great player. You get 15-20 and your a god and maxing our money...  so if you hit home 4.8% of the time (that would be 20 sacks a year) your a hall of famer...

Way better than being a CB! Let one WR smoke you per game and your out on your butt!

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Can you elaborate? I looked what I thought was a lot and couldn't find details.. perhaps you have an edge membership?

I don't believe it was a premium stat.  Saw it combing through there lightly just a little while ago... I'll see if I can find it.

And no, I don't subscribe to any football websites or the like.  

17 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He was the #1 overall Zumba instructor too, veterans included. Beat you to it Tom.:P:D

He played 3 times as many plays as the other edge defenders. Nice post though,  you got me.

Garrett needs some luck this year against the injury bug, both personally and with Ogbah. Right when Ogbah got hurt we got a glimpse of what those two could do on the field together, and Ogbah going down was just devastating. Ogbah appeared to be figuring it out, and Gregg Williams was putting them in places to succeed. If they're healthy, they contend for combined sack leaders in the league. Not only that, they both are extremely solid against the run. Our rush defense suffered when Ogbah went out and teams knew they could run at Nassib. Ogbah was superior at setting the edge, and Myles was underrated as a run stuffer. I can remember several times when teams ran at Myles very early in the game and Myles just blew it up. One time an announcer said, "They decided to test Garrett, and I doubt we see that play again." LOL. 

Oh, one more thing. A pick that nobody is really talking too much about for us is the pass rusher Chubb from NC State. Why pick HIM if we have Ogbah and Garrett? Because getting to the QB is the name of the game in the NFL. If you watched Garrett last year, then you saw him get a lot of success, not from the outside, but from the INSIDE position. He was a beast inside, and knowing that, we could draft Chubb and have a 3rd down "super rush package" that would be the envy of everyone. What does that do? It would mean we don't have to blitz on 3rd down NEARLY as much, and if you watched our defense, you know that blitzing to create pressure killed us in too many games. Just something to think about. Also, Myles Garrett and Ogbah can't play EVERY snap effectively, and Chubb could potentially provide a breather for them without sacrificing too much ability. Having fresh pass rushers is a luxury not many teams have. 

10 hours ago, TopDawg31 said:

...and yet in 32 football games, his team is the only one we beat.    -  He's just one of the 11 guys that are supposed to tackle people.

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Garrett needs some luck this year against the injury bug, both personally and with Ogbah. Right when Ogbah got hurt we got a glimpse of what those two could do on the field together, and Ogbah going down was just devastating. Ogbah appeared to be figuring it out, and Gregg Williams was putting them in places to succeed. If they're healthy, they contend for combined sack leaders in the league. Not only that, they both are extremely solid against the run. Our rush defense suffered when Ogbah went out and teams knew they could run at Nassib. Ogbah was superior at setting the edge, and Myles was underrated as a run stuffer. I can remember several times when teams ran at Myles very early in the game and Myles just blew it up. One time an announcer said, "They decided to test Garrett, and I doubt we see that play again." LOL. 

Oh, one more thing. A pick that nobody is really talking too much about for us is the pass rusher Chubb from NC State. Why pick HIM if we have Ogbah and Garrett? Because getting to the QB is the name of the game in the NFL. If you watched Garrett last year, then you saw him get a lot of success, not from the outside, but from the INSIDE position. He was a beast inside, and knowing that, we could draft Chubb and have a 3rd down "super rush package" that would be the envy of everyone. What does that do? It would mean we don't have to blitz on 3rd down NEARLY as much, and if you watched our defense, you know that blitzing to create pressure killed us in too many games. Just something to think about. Also, Myles Garrett and Ogbah can't play EVERY snap effectively, and Chubb could potentially provide a breather for them without sacrificing too much ability. Having fresh pass rushers is a luxury not many teams have. 

That's the Denver formula that got their SB year for them. Add Collins back in the mix along with Danny and we could really have a D to be afraid of. I can't remember any game we had last year where one or more of the guys we already have wasn't out with an injury. Add one more good pass rusher to the mix and get rid of Orchard because he was the biggest weakness on the team. Every time he was in they ran right over him.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

...and yet in 32 football games, his team is the only one we beat.    -  He's just one of the 11 guys that are supposed to tackle people.

That's like saying on offense all 10 other guys are as important or can score like the skill players most importantly the quarterback. 

That's just the way team sports go. Your starting pitcher is far more important than who is in RF.

The DE does anchor the defense, ask any coach. Oh and the pathetic 1-31 BROWNS beating one team it's pretty much irreverent that one guy caused that besides the BROWNS were just lucky there they didn't go 0-32. 

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh and the pathetic 1-31 BROWNS beating one team it's pretty much irreverent that one guy caused that besides the BROWNS were just lucky there they didn't go 0-32

VERY lucky.  A reliable kicker missed a FG.

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

That's like saying on offense all 10 other guys are as important or can score like the skill players most importantly the quarterback. 

Nope.  I wasn't talking about offense.  (and I know that the edge rusher is one of the most important pieces on D)

On offense it's the QB...the group of receivers...the running back(s)...then OLinemen.  And although I list the OL last, they are quite important because if they're not all fairly GOOD then the rest of the offensive skill positions suffer greatly.

Last year Garrett was rated head and shoulders better than anyone else in the draft.  But the QB is the MOST important position...by a lot...so although we selected the 'head and shoulders' best player in the draft, we didn't win any games.  That's how important NOT having a QB is.  

Archived