THE BROWNS BOARD

Quarterback Stats

Flugel

Quarterback       Ht       College         Year   Att  Cmp Cmp% Yards YPC TD  INT Rating

Baker Mayfield   6-0    Oklahoma       2015 269  395  68.1    3700   9.4   36   7    173.3

2016 254  358  71.0    3965  11.1  40   8    196.4

2017 285  404  70.5    4627  11.5  43   6    198.9

Quarterback       Ht       College         Year   Att  Cmp Cmp% Yards YPC TD  INT Rating

Josh Allen           6-5      Wyoming       2016 209  373  56.0    3203   8.6   28  15  144.9

2017 152  270  56.3    1812   6.7   16   6    127.8

Quarterback       Ht       College         Year   Att  Cmp Cmp% Yards YPC TD  INT Rating

Josh Rosen         6-5      UCLA             2015 292  487  60.0   3670    7.5  23   11   134.3

2016 137  231  59.3    1915   8.2   10   5     138.9

2017 283  452  62.6    3756   8.3   26   10   147.0

Quarterback       Ht       College         Year    Att  Cmp Cmp% Yards YPC TD  INT Rating

Lamar Jackson   6-3     Louisville       2015 135  247  54.7    1840   7.4   12   8    126.8

2016 230  409  56.2    3543   8.7   30   9    148.8

2017 254  430  59.1    3660   8.5   27   10  146.6

Mason Rudolph  6-5      Ok State        2015 264  424  62.3    3770   8.9   21   9    149.1

2016 284  448  63.4    4091   9.1   28   4    158.9

2017 318  489  65.0    4904  10.0  37   9    170.6

Mike White         6-4      WKU                2016 280  416  67.3    4363  10.5  37   7    181.4

2017 254  358  65.7    4177   7.5    26   8    146.8                                                            

Sam Darnold      6-4      USC                 2016 246  366  67.2    3086   8.4   31   9    161.1

2017 303   480  63.1    4143   8.6   26  13  148.1

IMO, this is a pretty good year to need a QB. All these guys have some intriguing qualities but the reality remains we hold the1st and 4th selections overall.  The old saying is never go to the grocery store when you're hungry because everything looks delicious.  When it comes to the QB position, we're freakin hungry.  Even though stats don't always tell the whole story, I like to see how a kid does on his level of competition with comp%, TD:INT ratio and yards per completion.

Once I have all that, I like to look at how much the QB was able to impact winning to determine whether they are my faves or not.  For example, I LIKE seeing Darnold beat the Big 10 Champions (inclusive of Barkley) as a Freshman.  If anyone saw that game - they know the USC QB had the greater impact on the outcome than the PSU RB.  I also like knowing he's not only overcome some adversity by improving his fumbling/ball security issues in the 2nd half of his final season but he won Pac 12 Championship in the process. The guy was undefeated at home and Mayock said he had something like a 20-4 record.  Mayfield started on 2 different teams after walking on at both.  I haven't seen many QBs beat Ohio State in Columbus nor have I seen many lead their teams to 48 points against UGA.  Let's get real for a second, Cleveland isn't an easy place to win so seeing guys overcome some kind of adversity with a competitive value that consistently leads their teams to victory - intrigues me.  Speaking of intrigue, Mike White led one of the highest scoring offenses in college football in 2016.  Unfortunately, that success sent his offensive minded HC (another former Cleveland Brown QB) Jeff Brohm to a bigger school.  Learning a new offense with teammates in his final year applied some adversity; but he still had a comp% of about 66 with a respectable 26 TDs to 8 INTs.  While WKU doesn't play a great competition, they usually include some SEC teams on their schedule. I don't know if I'd take White in either of our 1st 2 spots; BUT if we get the right veteran FA QB - he could be very tempting for one of our 3 RD 2 selections (while we go BPA and/or trade-back early).  It's gonna be interesting to say the least...

It's fun to debate our faves and why as fans.  FWIW, QB topics on our message board that welcomes freedom of speech (and opinions from fans that like to share them) have always been heated, passionate and polarizing.  I don't see any harm in letting some of our guys get into the mosh pit and throw down about their guys.  Just like in the NFL post season when officials let a little more stuff go - I'm glad this board let a little more stuff go in our QB debates.  If we enter the pit - it's up to us to make ourselves sound coherent right? 

At this time, I like Mayfield or Darnold, but when I think about the folks we have in the evaluation & search processes, I feel very good about the upcoming draft. After the Combine, Pro Days, private visits, etc, it's comforting to know that the Browns actually have QUALIFIED people scouting & interviewing these prospects AND free agents.

Bottom line for me is that I may be very surprised by what actually happens in the months ahead, but I'm all in on who we have in place to make it happen & I will support their choices.

Mike.

1 hour ago, Tacosman said:

don't overthink this...rosen is the pick.

I've seen Darnold, Mayfield,  Rosen all mixed up 1-2-3 and even others and not just by schmucks like us but by professional schmucks.

Crap shoot time and they all grade high 6 or very low 7 prospective quarterbacks. 

Overthink that? :wacko:

25 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Yeah but he's kind of a prick

:D And I'm not sure what all the hype is about the guy.  I watched him throw 2 brutal INTs (1 a pick 6 over the middle) vrs Memphis and his alleged greatness never kept scoring pace with such a program. I went into that game wanting to see what all the hype about the Rosen One was and left it hoping we'd be able to draft Memphis WR Anthony Miller. Here's a video of the matchup and pay particular to the 3rd quarter.

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

:D And I'm not sure what all the hype is about the guy......

I feel that pretty much about the whole quarterback class of 2018.....never to be confused with the 35th anniversary of the epic class of 1983, but then again who is?

All I hear is this guy's negatives aren't as bad as the other ones negatives.

Who knows one or more might break out to be a great NFL QB, now where's my dead horse?  :lol:

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I feel that pretty much about the whole quarterback class of 2018.....never to be confused with the 35th anniversary of the epic class of 1983, but then again who is?

All I hear is this guy's negatives aren't as bad as the other ones negatives.

Who knows one or more might break out to be a great NFL QB, now where's my dead horse?  :lol:

It's been beaten beyond recognition.... :lol:

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's been beaten beyond recognition.... :lol:

Ummmmm. And it was delicious !

I could draft this kid for the Browns and never be sorry. He's my Garoppolo sp? choice this year.

He just has "IT". All of it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000910811/WKU-QB-Mike-White-proves-his-football-IQ

10 hours ago, Flugel said:

:D And I'm not sure what all the hype is about the guy.  I watched him throw 2 brutal INTs (1 a pick 6 over the middle) vrs Memphis and his alleged greatness never kept scoring pace with such a program. I went into that game wanting to see what all the hype about the Rosen One was and left it hoping we'd be able to draft Memphis WR Anthony Miller. Here's a video of the matchup and pay particular to the 3rd quarter.

That last pick was just brutal.  It's one part of a game.  Just like Darnold got raped most of the game vs buckeyes.  It's not hurting their draft statuses

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I could draft this kid for the Browns and never be sorry. He's my Garoppolo sp? choice this year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000000910811/WKU-QB-Mike-White-proves-his-football-IQ

Just a Wild butt Prediction:    The Bengals draft him to be there new backup after McCarron leaves.

52 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Just a Wild butt Prediction:    The Bengals draft him to be there their new backup after McCarron leaves, for the first half-year, and then takes them to the playoffs the second half

(fixed)

Just a Wild butt Prediction:    The Bengals draft him to be there their new backup after McCarron leaves, for the first half-year, and then takes them to the playoffs the second half

(fixed)

A.  OK, you fixed it, Grammar Nazi

B. I have no clue what you are trying to say with your second "fix".  Are you saying that...in this scenario...that White takes over in the second half of the Bengals season and takes them to the playoffs?  (honesty...that was not quite clear).

11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

My draft special is RB Sony Michael, Georgia who has now moved up into the 1st round by walterfootball right after Barkley. I picked him out during the playoffs and he has advanced past teammate Nick Chubb. Quicker, more explosive and good tough yards after first contact. I personally think he's better than Barkley who is not as good in yards after first contact.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Just a Wild butt Prediction:    The Bengals draft him to be there new backup after McCarron leaves.

That could well happen. A lot of fans in Bengal land aren't too happy with Dandy Andy anymore. They wanted Dalton benched and McCarron to start.

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My draft special is RB Sony Michael, Georgia who has now moved up into the 1st round by walterfootball right after Barkley. I picked him out during the playoffs and he has advanced past teammate Nick Chubb. Quicker, more explosive and good tough yards after first contact. I personally think he's better than Barkley who is not as good in yards after first contact.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018RB.php

With you there Ag. Impressive in the Championship game. May have to trade up to get him. It would be the ultimate board hoot if he was drafted before Barkley. :)

15 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I guess he's holding Gip to some higher but not totally understood standard. :huh:

My neuropathy is bugging me this morning....ergo my typing skills are suffering somewhat.  I have had to edit and correct at least a half dozen of my posts to correct typing errors....not that that was a typing error. 

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My neuropathy is bugging me this morning....ergo my typing skills are suffering somewhat.  I have had to edit and correct at least a half dozen of my posts to correct typing errors....not that that was a typing error. 

I know you're normally a wordsmith.

I love my tablet but it wants to hijack my words even make short phrases out of them, drives me nuts......these kids just don't understand. :lol:

lol. My phone does that to me. Some strange words show up when I txt too fast.

I had Sony Michel in one of my two earlier stupid mock drafts - isn't as big as some, but really runs strong....

has some great instincts. If he goes in the first round - that's too bad when we have three picks in the second.

Now, I would have Ballage with  second or third round pick.  He's going to be that high after the combine.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915591/article/sources-tell-us-asus-kalen-ballage-will-be-star-of-nfl-combine

On 2/19/2018 at 3:05 AM, SD_Tom said:

That last pick was just brutal.  It's one part of a game.  Just like Darnold got raped most of the game vs buckeyes.  It's not hurting their draft statuses

There's a gigantic difference between Ohio State's Defense and the one at Memphis Tom.  Look what OSU keep putting in the NFL at Corner, Safety, and DE. Let's not forget Darnold DID beat the Big 10 Champions (Penn State) in 2016 as a Freshman and he won the Pac 12 Championship in 2017 as a soph.  Meanwhile UCLA was a ho-hum 4-8 in 2016 and 6-7 in 2017, which ultimately lead to their Head Coach getting fired.

Just to clarify: I think Rosen will be drafted high as he's often included in the top 3 QBs whether I agree or not.  That said, he's not one of my faves at all. 

44 minutes ago, Flugel said:

There's a gigantic difference between Ohio State's Defense and the one at Memphis Tom.  Look what OSU keep putting in the NFL at Corner, Safety, and DE. Let's not forget Darnold DID beat the Big 10 Champions (Penn State) in 2016 as a Freshman and he won the Pac 12 Championship in 2017 as a soph.  Meanwhile UCLA was a ho-hum 4-8 in 2016 and 6-7 in 2017, which ultimately lead to their Head Coach getting fired.

Just to clarify: I think Rosen will be drafted high as he's often included in the top 3 QBs whether I agree or not.  That said, he's not one of my faves at all. 

Record doesn't matter as much as how you looked in the games.  He lost to Darnold,  but definitely outplayed him.  USC always has great teams,  their QB's don't do much in NFL.  Same with Ohio state.  Same with lots of big 12 schools. 

Rosen had very few weapons,  lasley was his #1  and was injured most of the season. They didn't have a line or a running game,  or any defense.  Can't blame him for the 2016 record as he missed half with a shoulder injury,  which he came back from very well next season.

Can't blame him  much at all imo. Putting up that many points and yards a game,  the team should've  won  a whole lot more. I'm sure he's learned he can't be the hero every play,  but it's gotta be frustrating when you score 40+points and still lose.  Their defense was ranked 122.  They were a sieve. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p3

Hey,  let's just hope whomever it is,  is finally the right pick.  Been far too long.  We're all sick of seeing these top QB's go elsewhere because the team was scared to pull the trigger and take a chance. 

I'd rather see Mayfield or Rosen than Darnold or Allen,  but fingers crossed either way

On 2/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, Flugel said:

Cuz of games like this. And really Darnold looked like aworld beater when he beat PSU, yet looked awful vs Buckeyes last year. One game good or bad means little overall.

And to me, it's just more about his command of the offense, and poise. He (for better or worse) isn't afraid to stand in the pocket and take a big hit just to deliver a pass. His throws and motion just look like an NFL QB.  He makes a play, and he's already getting the calls from the sideline and getting his offense ready. 

Incidentally, I think the Browns will get a great QB this draft. There's several that can be good. Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, White, Allen, Benkert, Jackson, Rudolph. Lots of RB's too. 

I can't wait! This is a huge draft. 

9 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Record doesn't matter as much as how you looked in the games.  He lost to Darnold,  but definitely outplayed him.  USC always has great teams,  their QB's don't do much in NFL.  Same with Ohio state.  Same with lots of big 12 schools. 

Rosen had very few weapons,  lasley was his #1  and was injured most of the season. They didn't have a line or a running game,  or any defense.  Can't blame him for the 2016 record as he missed half with a shoulder injury,  which he came back from very well next season.

Can't blame him  much at all imo. Putting up that many points and yards a game,  the team should've  won  a whole lot more. I'm sure he's learned he can't be the hero every play,  but it's gotta be frustrating when you score 40+points and still lose.  Their defense was ranked 122.  They were a sieve. https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p3

Hey,  let's just hope whomever it is,  is finally the right pick.  Been far too long.  We're all sick of seeing these top QB's go elsewhere because the team was scared to pull the trigger and take a chance. 

I'd rather see Mayfield or Rosen than Darnold or Allen,  but fingers crossed either way

Too many excuses for comfort. Dorsey said winning is important in his criteria for evaluating QB prospects.  Almost scoring as many points as Memphis didn't impress me. His pick 6 and the brutal INT took place during an ideal opportunity for top QB prospect to prove he can win that kind of game.  He gagged when it was time to win it. IMO, the yardage thrown for takes a back seat to his turnovers that prevented the win.  I've seen countless losing QBs throw for more yards than the winning QB so I've learned to understand how meaningless junk time stats are.  I'm guessing this went on a lot in UCLA's 6-7 season.

Thanks for reminding about his lack of durability as well.   The other time I wanted to see him play in a nationally televised night game, he couldn't finish the first half/game due to a bruised back.  On top of all that, he's had multiple concussions. None of this has me thinking perfect guy for Cleveland at all.  If you think he didn't had weapons or a defense at UCLA - what do you think a 1-31 football team equips him with? 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Too many excuses for comfort. Dorsey said winning is important in his criteria for evaluating QB prospects.  Almost scoring as many points as Memphis didn't impress me. His pick 6 and the brutal INT took place during an ideal opportunity for top QB prospect to prove he can win that kind of game.  He gagged when it was time to win it. IMO, the yardage thrown for takes a back seat to his turnovers that prevented the win.  I've seen countless losing QBs throw for more yards than the winning QB so I've learned to understand how meaningless junk time stats are.  I'm guessing this went on a lot in UCLA's 6-7 season.

Thanks for reminding about his lack of durability as well.   The other time I wanted to see him play in a nationally televised night game, he couldn't finish the first half/game due to a bruised back.  On top of all that, he's had multiple concussions. None of this has me thinking perfect guy for Cleveland at all.  If you think he didn't had weapons or a defense at UCLA - what do you think a 1-31 football team equips him with? 

It's a fact his wrs dropped more passes than any of his peers. He's perfect for the Browns... And he'll be right at home. Lol

He's still the best passer in the draft and most nfl ready.  Memphis was one game he lost,  A&M was a game he won in the 4th.  

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/110/1070189/passing/situational.html

The whole purpose of being a 1 win team was to get top picks and FA that can make a big impact.  They're primed for a big turnaround really soon.  the Browns have more talent than UCLA,  and especially a better line.  

8 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

It's a fact his wrs dropped more passes than any of his peers. He's perfect for the Browns... And he'll be right at home. Lol

He's still the best passer in the draft and most nfl ready.  Memphis was one game he lost,  A&M was a game he won in the 4th.  

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/player/110/1070189/passing/situational.html

The whole purpose of being a 1 win team was to get top picks and FA that can make a big impact.  They're primed for a big turnaround really soon.  the Browns have more talent than UCLA,  and especially a better line.  

LOL! Good passion in your argument Tom.  Yeah, I'm really pumped up for this off season and the draft.  I agree with you about being primed for a big turnaround soon. 

Archived