THE BROWNS BOARD

Any Good Books Lately?

TexasAg1969

Re-read Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell.  He is my favorite author and I tend to re-read a number of his works (having read them all previously).

I am also in the middle of listening to The Secret Adversary....by Agatha Christie.  It was written in like 1922.  I do go in for this sort of "fluff" if you want to call it that at times....especially in CD books.  It takes me like a month or 6 weeks to get through these sometimes because I continuously fall asleep listening to them.  Which is fine.....and sometimes why I get them.

Completed "All the Light We Cannot See". It won the Pulitzer for a very good reason. Very well written with many a paragraph that makes you stop and think a while about life, the universe, human nature, war and it's affects on lives and a wonderful recreation of life in France as an occupied and then liberated country. Well worth all the hours reading and thinking about it over the last several weeks. Excellent complicated characters throughout that make you feel they could have lived in more than just fiction. Only our civil war can approach what France went through during WW II. Read and enjoy. It took the author 10 years to write it and the end result reflects that fact. Makes me want to return to Paris and the Normandy coast with a now different perspective. Somewhat like we did visiting the WW I battlegrounds with my gransfather's first hand accounts in his war diary.

Ah, full of murder, adultery, envy, power grabbing and most hopefully forgiveness.

Who's your favorite character? 

Mine is Thomas because even though he knew Jesus personally, he was still allowed to doubt even after the resurrection.

One of  the most spiritual experiences I have ever had was in the Gothic Cathedral in Barcelona, Spain. My grandmother was the most spiritual person I have ever known even though her first born daughter died at age 3 from the Spanish flu epidemic and her first born son (for whom I was named) died at age 17. My son lost his first son at 5 1/2 months in vitro. So as I'm walking through the cathedral I am looking at the panels inside that depict the life of Jesus and I'm thinking about my Catholic grandmother & my son with those lost children and I come to the panel showing doubting Thomas being allowed to feel the wounds of Christ. Like I said he has always been my favorite and just as I recognize it I hear for the first time the start of singing from the children's choir and I knew that it was my grandmother's way of telling me there is hope for us all. Because I was named for her deceased son, we had always had a very special bond.

On 2/23/2018 at 12:21 PM, Westside Steve said:

Actually I started a long long time ago and I got deal breaker on cassette. He has a series of books starring Myron bolitar, a college basketball star who blew out his knee first day in the pros. Went to law school became a sports agent and has a series of adventurous with some of his clients accused of crimes. He also writes stand-alone books and tell no one is a good one. The reason I like him so much is that so many authors just pull attending out of their butt but his last two chapters are intricate and put the whole thing together.

WSS

Just now starting "Tell No One" by Coben and then plan to read "Origin" by Dan Brown because it takes place in Spain including places I have been in Madrid and Barcelona. My brother older went there with me and says I will love the book.

20 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just now starting "Tell No One" by Coben and then plan to read "Origin" by Dan Brown because it takes place in Spain including places I have been in Madrid and Barcelona. My brother older went there with me and says I will love the book.

I have read Origin.....it starts out in Bilbao, then moves to Barcelona.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished "Tell No One" and I did not like it near as well as I like just about any James Lee Burke novel.

Now just started "Origin" and when that's done I move on to a real "thriller", Wrinkles in Time by George Smoot. I like to sprinkle in Science and History with fiction. My dad used to call it, "Discipline reading". :D It's how I keep an active mind rather than just an entertained one.:)

On 4/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, LondonBrown said:

Coben is great if you like those see if you can find books by English author Mark Billingham and his Tom Thorne series. They’re excellent. 

He has a series called the five on British TV. We just watched it!

I will look for the other  fellow.

Also watching British TV series line of duty. Really good stuff.

WSS

• 1 month later...

Completed reading Dan Brown's "Origin" which I thoroughly enjoyed primarily because it takes place in Spain, one of my favorite countries to visit. And especially since some of it takes place inside Gaudi's Sagrada Familia Catholic church in Barcelona, a truly remarkable experience in and of itself. It has an organic design inside totally unexpected from what you see outside. Those are "living" trees which hold up the structure of the church and it's full of natural light that is at it's peak when the sun is directly overhead. Take a look and put it on your bucket list of places to see.

Edit: I put it up there with Michelangelo's "David" in Florence, the Eiffel Tower and Teotihuacan's Pyramids of the Sun and Moon in Mexico as 3 "must sees" for anyone.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A9FJtrzTcxZbqzEAJj8PxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=inside+sagrada+familia&fr=yhs-pty-pty_forms&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_forms#id=4&iurl=https%3A%2F%2Ftraveldailypic.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F11%2Fsa.jpg%3Fw%3D800&action=click

EDIT #2: Now on to heavy "discipline reading" in Nobel Prize winner in astrophysics George Smoot's "Wrinkles in Time". A little Big Bang and proof by cosmic background radiation detection. We shall see if it ranks up there with one of my favorite biographies, Walter Isaacson's "Einstein".

Archived