THE BROWNS BOARD

McCarron Unrestricted Free Agent

darren15

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is good news for us. I'm sure he'll want to come here and play under Hue. He is my 3rd option right now and that pretty much assures us a bridge QB. I would push hard for Cousins, then Bridgewater. If we can't land those guys (which I doubt we will) then A.J. is a good option. He knows Hue system, ran it pretty well when given the opportunity, and more importantly he has the hottest wife in the NFL. 

12 minutes ago, darren15 said:

McCarron unrestricted ..........Interesting........ wonder if Fester will push for him....

Obviously....I would not doubt it at all.

But.....in my opinion it is now a real quandary for the Browns....and for Fester.    The article states that McCarron wants to play....wants to be a starter. It does NOT say that he wants to serve as a bridge QB.

So...it seems to me that the only way McCarron signs here is if  the Browns essentially say to him:  you have a chance to be our QB going forward into the forseeable future.   But fooyuck....is that what the Browns want?  

If the Browns take a QB #1 overall...I mean HE is the long term projected future for the Browns.....not some backup signed as a FA.

He could tell the Browns to go piss up a rope.

What I see potentially happening is a rift between  Dorsey and Jackson.   Dorsey saying "we are going for a QB #1 to be our future" ;  Jackson saying "I am deep in the arms of McCarron and want to have his children...so let's get him."   

THAT is the dilemma for the Browns....and for McCarron.  He has a coach that wants to butt snuffle him.....in Jackson....but that team may have a GM that wants his QBOTF to come from the draft. 

Money is not the issue.  The politics would be the issue.

6 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Obviously....I would not doubt it at all.

But.....in my opinion it is now a real quandary for the Browns....and for Fester.    The article states that McCarron wants to play....wants to be a starter. It does NOT say that he wants to serve as a bridge QB.

So...it seems to me that the only way McCarron signs here is if  the Browns essentially say to him:  you have a chance to be our QB going forward into the forseeable future.   But fooyuck....is that what the Browns want?  

If the Browns take a QB #1 overall...I mean HE is the long term projected future for the Browns.....not some backup signed as a FA.

He could tell the Browns to go piss up a rope.

What I see potentially happening is a rift between  Dorsey and Jackson.   Dorsey saying "we are going for a QB #1 to be our future" ;  Jackson saying "I am deep in the arms of McCarron and want to have his children...so let's get him."   

THAT is the dilemma for the Browns....and for McCarron.  He has a coach that wants to butt snuffle him.....in Jackson....but that team may have a GM that wants his QBOTF to come from the draft. 

Money is not the issue.  The politics would be the issue.

If we keep a 1-31 coach, to then let him decide to sign a backup QB as quaterback of the future and pass on a QB in a draft both deep and with good quality in the position, then I've seen it all.

A 1-31 coach should not have the final word on this matter. Dorsey should listen to him -a good coach-GM chemistry is the path for success- but he should never submit his opinion to Hue's. 

31 minutes ago, Nero said:

If we keep a 1-31 coach, to then let him decide to sign a backup QB as quaterback of the future and pass on a QB in a draft both deep and with good quality in the position, then I've seen it all.

A 1-31 coach should not have the final word on this matter. Dorsey should listen to him -a good coach-GM chemistry is the path for success- but he should never submit his opinion to Hue's. 

Well....yes, they do have to talk about this.....and I guess they have to try to be on the same page on it....but Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...you are absolutley right about having a 1-31 coach trying to dictate things.

38 minutes ago, Nero said:

Thus this will prove if he is a coffee fetcher or not.

2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

This is good news for us. I'm sure he'll want to come here and play under Hue. He is my 3rd option right now and that pretty much assures us a bridge QB. I would push hard for Cousins, then Bridgewater. If we can't land those guys (which I doubt we will) then A.J. is a good option. He knows Hue system, ran it pretty well when given the opportunity, and more importantly he has the hottest wife in the NFL. 

Bridgewater really is RG4. Or 5 or whatever. But we won't be using exactly Jackson's system will be using Todd Haley's.

WSS

32 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Bridgewater in no way shape or form is RG3. He's a pocket passer with average athleticism. He's a smart an accurate player that does his damage in the short and intermediate game. He's more Andy Dalton then RG3

I mean, he IS black... and... um... :lol:

3 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Mcarron has to know hes going to have to compete where ever he goes. Cleveland, giants, denver, and jets will all be looking to land one of the top QBs in the draft. Arizona, Minnesota, and Jacksonville could be in play but them and Denver probably have best chance to land Cousins.

I agree, I can't see a team that tells him: "If you sign with us, you are the hand's-down starter. This franchise is staking it's future on a QB who couldn't sniff the starter's job with Andy Dalton in front of him". I mean, I'm not opposed to the idea of him being the bridge guy, I don't think he's horrible, but he has to be realistic about where he is on the totem pole of NFL QBs at this moment. 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

I agree, I can't see a team that tells him: "If you sign with us, you are the hand's-down starter. This franchise is staking it's future on a QB who couldn't sniff the starter's job with Andy Dalton in front of him". I mean, I'm not opposed to the idea of him being the bridge guy, I don't think he's horrible, but he has to be realistic about where he is on the totem pole of NFL QBs at this moment. 

Yep...he's been a backup for however many years.  He comes here, he's competing with the #1 overall pick and Kizer for the starting job come September.

4 hours ago, darren15 said:

McCarron unrestricted ..........Interesting........ wonder if Fester will push for him....

LOL, does the sun come up in the morning? Count on it. 

3 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Hue just got hard for AJ. Expect a deal to be done immediately unless you believe that Ghoolie's theory of Dorsey being a yes-man and coffee fetcher to be incorrect.

It can't be done immediately. Technically, he's still under contract with the Bengals.  We can "officially" start talking to him and his agent March 12th. No free agent can ink a deal until after 4PM March 14th.  

I have to wonder with the kind of deal Garoppolo got, what the asking price for AJ is going to be. Gip already nailed it. At 27 years old, you really can't look at McCarron as a bridge starter. It does put the Browns between a rock and a hard place on a qb decision. AJ is probably going to want at least a 4 year deal, and I doubt he'd be very happy if Dorsey tells him we're drafting a QB high this year. So the question becomes, as it did with Jimmy G. Do you think he's better than any of the 2018 qbs in the draft? Hell of a risk. Sheeze Louise, if we bring McCarron in and he flops, and Mayfield or one of the other QBs turns into a Wentz, it's welcome to having egg on your face- again.

22 minutes ago, hoorta said:

It can't be done immediately. Technically, he's still under contract with the Bengals.  We can "officially" start talking to him and his agent March 12th. No free agent can ink a deal until after 4PM March 14th.  

I have to wonder with the kind of deal Garoppolo got, what the asking price for AJ is going to be. Gip already nailed it. At 27 years old, you really can't look at McCarron as a bridge starter. It does put the Browns between a rock and a hard place on a qb decision. AJ is probably going to want at least a 4 year deal, and I doubt he'd be very happy if Dorsey tells him we're drafting a QB high this year. So the question becomes, as it did with Jimmy G. Do you think he's better than any of the 2018 qbs in the draft? Hell of a risk. Sheeze Louise, if we bring McCarron in and he flops, and Mayfield or one of the other QBs turns into a Wentz, it's welcome to having egg on your face- again.

this deal will be done at combine..SSShhh! No more than Mike Glennon deal..but than again how did that work out for the bears..Good thing we hired 3-4 Talent Evaluator's..(this time)   

Cousins, McCarron, Bridgewater, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rudolph, Jackson.... on and on and on the list of QBs goes...

And the first time one of these guys have a bad start (ala Hogan) you will bash and trash and cry to high heaven that we have to take the next QB #1 overall in the 2019 Draft...

3 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Cousins, McCarron, Bridgewater, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Rudolph, Jackson.... on and on and on the list of QBs goes...

And the first time one of these guys have a bad start (ala Hogan) you will bash and trash and cry to high heaven that we have to take the next QB #1 overall in the 2019 Draft...

Your opinion is invalid because you were born with an extra chromosome. 

But I really do hope we get either Cousins or McCarron just so we can put to rest the QB at #1 talk and go with what makes sense. Maybe you'll concede to picking a backup QB at #4. 

I'm confident that Hogan will beat them out if given a fair chance anyways. 

Just now, LogicIsForSquares said:

Your opinion is invalid because you were born with an extra chromosome. 

ew, feisty. 

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

But I really do hope we get either Cousins or McCarron just so we can put to rest the QB at #1 talk and go with what makes sense. Maybe you'll concede to picking a backup QB at #4. 

Cousins might put to rest the QB at 1 talk.  McCarron would definitely guarantee a QB at 1 overall.  Hogan will be looking for work elsewhere and that what will you do?

Honest question...will you stop being a fan when your boyfriend Hogan is given his release and signs elsewhere?

I'll always be a fan of the Browns. I'll always be rooting for Crazy Kev, he's a baller. He just hasn't been given a fair shot yet. He'll be on the team next year. He's better than Kizer and Kessler. He will most likely be the 2nd string. 

Acquiring McCarron would be a step backwards for the Browns.  He's not a significant upgrade over what is currently in the Browns QB room - he wasn't even good enough to beat out Andy Dalton, the poster child for QB mediocrity.  He's no bridge QB - he doesn't have enough in-game experience to draw upon if asked to mentor a rookie.

Settling for McCarron is exactly what the Browns shouldn't do.  Spend the cash and get the best QB available - Kirk Cousins.  Pay what it takes.  The money is only gathering dust.

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

And when Barkley has a bad game, expect the same. Your chatter on Saquon is around 50% of all the other prospects- any position combined. 

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

LALALALA give it up- odds of Hogan even being on the roster are remote. 

This thread is about McCarron, not your man crush or a third string QB that only you love.  You're close to thread hijacking, and if I see any more of it, I'm going to start deleting it. 

There are two kinds of men in the world. There are leaders, and there are coffee fetchers. You cannot judge a man by his failures, but instead by the manner in which he fails. leader don't fear failure, they loathe it, and swing both fists, all out, balls to the wall to conquer the universe as they see fit. A coffee fetcher, on the other hands, also hates failure but from the very first day he is put on center stage, begins positioning himself for longevity and position to lay blame elsewhere.

Dorsey is a coffee fetcher, and I urge you all, especially those most irritated by me, to earmark this post. Copy it as pdf,  do whatever homo-millennial-digital queer thing you idiots do nowadays to archive something. That he came to Cleveland with the call from all of us to be a hero, a leader, a conqueror, he instead chose to position himself in a no-lose situation. By acquiescing to Haslam's committment to Hue, Dorsey risks nothing and picks up his first "get out of jail free" card. After Hue gets fired, Dorsey can say, "after a year observing, I am ready to get the right guy". Everyone is happy, and nobody expects him to turn it around for a few years..............because of sins of the past.

I will bet dollars to donuts that Dorkey buys his second "get out of jail free" card by backing off and letting Hue take McCarron. Regardless how McCarron does, Dorkey looks good. 

We will see what happens but my bet is on McCarron. 

A.J. McCarron is going to the Vikings, that's my guess. They're a playoff team, McCarron knows their head coach quite well from Cincinnati, and they aren't 1-31 in their last 2 seasons. 

The Browns aren't getting Kirk Cousins, so let's not engage in any further fantasy nonsense. I already had my fantasy moment by hoping Alex Smith would come here, and that's enough hope for one offseason. Who are we going to get? Obviously, we're going to get the same crap we've always gotten. The cast off, washed up, oft-injured, has-been, looking for money QB that always go to bad teams, and that's not going to suddenly change for the worst team in NFL history. 

In other words, welcome to the Cleveland Browns Josh McCown, Sam Bradford, Chase Daniels, or whoever the rest of the league DOESN'T want. That's how it works. We're likely to sign an older veteran with an injury history, and I'm guessing this guy gets injured around week 4 or 5. That's when the REAL fun starts. Why? Because that's the exact moment our coaches will have to determine whether they want to play our shiny new 1st round QB, or if they want to play Deshone Kizer. Won't THAT just be a joy to witness? Play the human turnover machine or ruin our shiny new QB? Fun times. Our only chance for finally fixing the QB quandary is to somehow, some way, by the grace of God, draft the right guy. Lord knows we're due, but suffice to say I have no confidence in it actually happening. We're going to trade the #1 pick and take whichever QB is left at 4...watch. 

OK Ghoolie, exactly how do we tell if McCarron comes to the Browns that Dorsey really didn't want him? What if  he comes because Dorsey DOES want him and isn't just fetching coffee? Get my drift? No way to prove whether or not he likes him, especially if we are in a bidding  war now for his services with other teams that also want him. So your claim has no way of being proven or disproven if he shows in Cleveland.

Archived