THE BROWNS BOARD

5 Finalist to Host the 2019 & 2020 NFL Draft

Canton Dawg

I wonder how this is determined.

Nevertheless...in my considered opinion.....I think they should hold the drafts, now that they are such a big thing.....in cities in which they would never likely hold a Super Bowl.

Like they did with Chicago and Philly. Except the arse kisssers had to kiss Jerry Jones's arse and hold this next one in Dallas...because they are such gutless wonders.

But, heretofore, they should NOT  hold them in Miami, Jax. Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, SF Bay...or Las Vegas, or in dome cities like Minneapolis, Indy....places where they have and may again host Super Bowls.  What about Detroit? Is that a dome? I know they had a SB in the old Silverdome. Also not sure about Seattle.  I don't think they are in a dome there now that the Kingdome is gone.  Would they hold a SB in Seattle?

But certainly:  Denver, KC, Cleveland/Canton, Chicago, Cincy, Pittspuke, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Buffalo, Boston....maybe Charlotte, Nashville...and NYC.

And....at some point they must hold one in Green Bay.

11 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm confused, is Cleveland/Canton a joint venture, or an either/or thing?

NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

Yes a joint venture and get your tickets for Canton in 2020 it's practically a lock with the NFL 100th Birthday Bash!

........unless the BROWNS go 0-32 in the next two seasons, in that case they might move the HOF from Canton to Cooperstown. 

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

NE Ohio getting it in 2020 just has to happen - the NFL started in Canton in 1920. 

of course it just makes to much sense to do that

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I wonder how this is determined.

Nevertheless...in my considered opinion.....I think they should hold the drafts, now that they are such a big thing.....in cities in which they would never likely hold a Super Bowl.

Like they did with Chicago and Philly. Except the arse kisssers had to kiss Jerry Jones's arse and hold this next one in Dallas...because they are such gutless wonders.

But, heretofore, they should NOT  hold them in Miami, Jax. Tampa, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, LA, SF Bay...or Las Vegas, or in dome cities like Minneapolis, Indy....places where they have and may again host Super Bowls.  What about Detroit? Is that a dome? I know they had a SB in the old Silverdome. Also not sure about Seattle.  I don't think they are in a dome there now that the Kingdome is gone.  Would they hold a SB in Seattle?

But certainly:  Denver, KC, Cleveland/Canton, Chicago, Cincy, Pittspuke, Philly, DC, Baltimore, Buffalo, Boston....maybe Charlotte, Nashville...and NYC.

And....at some point they must hold one in Green Bay.

Gip,

Agree 100% & I have stated this same thing for a long time, and if they want a permanent venue for the draft, look no further than Canton, Ohio...at The Pro Football Hall of Fame! As a marketing tool, it could be, "Start your NFL career where you hope to end up...in the Hall!".

Mike 

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

image.thumb.png.47f9aac4cfa4d8c139f95f57c0da498a.png

More reading in today's Repository. . .

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180215/update-nfl-selects-canton-cleveland-among-finalist-to-host-nfl-draft

34 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Sounds like a good "un-NYC like" deal, actually fan and football oriented how could the NFL INC. powers not go for that?

I think that they announce two years in May.    The Cleveland-Canton Bid should, for me be a shoe-in for the Centennial. in 2020

And to me it should be between  KC and Denver.  

Las Vegas does not have a freeking team yet...so screw them.  Tennessee has not had a team for that long.  

And FYI....the American Football League in which the Broncos.....and the Chiefs were founding members (though the Chiefs in the beginning were the Dallas Texans)....was founded in 1959.   So that would be the 60th anniversary of the AFL in 2019.

So...as far as I am concerned it should be one of those teams.....preferably Denver as at least the Broncos did not move.

Oh.....and how about this:

the 2020  Hall of Fame Game should be held between the Chicago Bears and the Arizona Cardinals.......because those are the only two franchises that will have been in existence in the league since that first initial season....and who will have played for the full 100 years.    The other longest tenured teams are the Packers.....just one year shorter started in 1921...and the Giants started in 1925.

Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

27 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Coming off attending the Philly draft I would question 2 seperate Locations? Does the new Canton rebuild not have the rooms? In Philly, Days 1 & 2 were a full house but Not Only Philly fans were in attendance. Many Traveled from out of state. With No transportation but 2 feet. Day 3 (rds.3-7) attendance was down. Baker is asking travelers to get lucky to book rooms in both Towns. And Honestly, with the amount of drinking that most Fans involve, most should not be on that highway to Canton..

Yeah, honestly I'd prefer if they just did the whole thing in Canton. 

11 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

To be honest I think after maybe an improved 2018 football season Ohio, NE Ohio and BROWNS fans could use the NFL draft, nice football bridge until the end of summer HOF game. Some positive national attention for some weary professional  football fans.

I'd love to see that.

GO BROWNS, INDIANS and rebuilding CAVS! BUCKEYES just in reload mode thankfully. 

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

If Canton can host an 8 day HOF event, the draft couldn’t be much different.

3 days event turns into 4/5 day...Chicago attendance was 225K. Philly was 250K. not a hotel room available in site for miles.(i booked 8 months early) Can Canton handle that? Seems Baker knows the attendance is lighter day 3 for move to Canton area then..City of Cleveland/ like Chicago/Philly has the high rise hotels that can handle the first 2 days of a zoo of people. And I mean Zoo.

38 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

3 days event turns into 4/5 day...Chicago attendance was 225K. Philly was 250K. not a hotel room available in site for miles.(i booked 8 months early) Can Canton handle that? Seems Baker knows the attendance is lighter day 3 for move to Canton area then..City of Cleveland/ like Chicago/Philly has the high rise hotels that can handle the first 2 days of a zoo of people. And I mean Zoo.

Just a few things a Cleveland/Akron-Canton metro area would not have the local draw of a Chicago or Philadelphia event. I'm sure all of this was specified in the bid requirements. 

For some rather interesting  rough data on event planning check out cvent:  http://www.cvent.com/rfp/midwest-us-meeting-event-planning.aspx

I also do not know how far out they could go on accommodations and bussing people to the event.

18 hours ago, gumby73 said:

They would not have to book rooms in both towns....you see, they have these things called automobiles.....devices that take you from place to place that are not walkable generally.  Cleveland and Canton are only like 60 miles apart.  One can drive to both locations reasonably and quickly.  And, they can get a room in Akron....about equidistant from the two.

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

The last time I looked at the numbers, the HOF drew roughly 100k - 150k people. Not to mention, that Akron hosts the NEC World Series of Golf during that same week. The local Akron-Canton hotels fill up quickly, but Cleveland and Youngstown pick up the excess. There’s sufficient accommodations in NE Ohio to handle this.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

They would not have to book rooms in both towns....you see, they have these things called automobiles.....devices that take you from place to place that are not walkable generally.  Cleveland and Canton are only like 60 miles apart.  One can drive to both locations reasonably and quickly.  And, they can get a room in Akron....about equidistant from the two.

my post can only look at this as a out of state fan like I was in Philly. It sounds not to be so fan friendly to out of state travelers.that's all. Just sounds more of Extra Cost in favor to the Buckeye State? instead of 1 stop & walk Philly. The NFL Experience is a park full of endless exhibits during all days.With real players,SB rings & Trophy. Lots of 2 days of walking,drinking to a build up to standing & watching a 4.5 hour concert nightly. You need a room/RV just to chill away for awhile. A Real Combine track & field for fans is set-up with all combine events. It's Cool. I hope that Baker does not present this as only using it as a final attraction to Canton?..Maybe the NFL splits it between 2 venues? maybe tight-arrsss Roger can afford 2?      

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

The last time I looked at the numbers, the HOF drew roughly 100k - 150k people. Not to mention, that Akron hosts the NEC World Series of Golf during that same week. The local Akron-Canton hotels fill up quickly, but Cleveland and Youngstown pick up the excess. There’s sufficient accommodations in NE Ohio to handle this.

125k for day 3 sounds to be plenty of room for round 3 thru 7..It's a lot of NFL long snappers doing card tricks on stage to kill TV time;)

I don't think ANY city should be excluded for stupid reasons, like having a dome or not being in the league long enough.

2020 sounds like a good year for northeast Ohio to host.

17 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't think ANY city should be excluded for stupid reasons, like having a dome or not being in the league long enough.

2020 sounds like a good year for northeast Ohio to host.

My point is that they should award this event to cities which....at this point....are never likely to be awarded a Super Bowl game.  The Super Bowl is the BIGGEST  event in the NFL calendar....and it is only mostly southern tier cities or cities with domes that will have a Super Bowl awarded to them. Its not that I want to deprive them of this event.....but face it....cities like Cleveland, Chicago, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly etc. ARE deprived from the right to host a Super Bowl.   So to have the draft in those cities is simply a method of "spreading the wealth/joy". 

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

My point is that they should award this event to cities which....at this point....are never likely to be awarded a Super Bowl game.  The Super Bowl is the BIGGEST  event in the NFL calendar....and it is only mostly southern tier cities or cities with domes that will have a Super Bowl awarded to them. Its not that I want to deprive them of this event.....but face it....cities like Cleveland, Chicago, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly etc. ARE deprived from the right to host a Super Bowl.   So to have the draft in those cities is simply a method of "spreading the wealth/joy". 

And the NFL plus the host TV network and their various platforms are still now and always concerned #1 with ratings! NY, CHI, PHI or CLE? Hmmmmmm.

Sure the diehards like most of us will watch it all but they want as many people as possible to tune in.....or login or whatever. 

Fairness is generally emphasized in kindergarten, Suze it's Johnny's turn, dammit now let him play! Oooops maybe not dammit in kindergarten. :lol:

Hopefully Cleveland gets their turn.

10 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

And the NFL plus the host TV network and their various platforms are still now and always concerned #1 with ratings! NY, CHI, PHI or CLE? Hmmmmmm.

Are you implying that the ratings for the NFL draft is dependent on which market the draft takes place in?  I don't think anything can be further from the truth.

Sure the diehards like most of us will watch it all but they want as many people as possible to tune in.....or login or whatever. 

Again....explain how it matters where it is held.  You are not going to get casual fans tuning in on the NFL draft because it is held in Dallas vs. Green Bay.

Fairness is generally emphasized in kindergarten, Suze it's Johnny's turn, dammit now let him play! Oooops maybe not dammit in kindergarten. :lol:

Hopefully Cleveland gets their turn.

When it comes to economic return to a community.....loyalty/enthusiasm for the sport....you bet your arse this is like kindergarten.

22 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Why do you think the NFL moved the draft from Saturday/Sunday on ESPN to prime time over three days? VIEWERSHIP and mo' money.

Now I do believe they will move the draft around to smaller markets but the underlying reason is still to strengthen the brand and try to keep interest up in the falling regular season viewing habits of the loyal and more importantly casual fans.

9 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Why do you think the NFL moved the draft from Saturday/Sunday on ESPN to prime time over three days? VIEWERSHIP and mo' money.

Now I do believe they will move the draft around to smaller markets but the underlying reason is still to strengthen the brand and try to keep interest up in the falling regular season viewing habits of the loyal and more importantly casual fans.

YES....viewership.....but the freeking NFL will get their viewership no matter where they hold that draft...big market, small market....whogivesashitmarket. 

(also...I can guarangoddamtee you that there ain't no casual fans tuning in on day 3 of the draft....not really.  Nerdniks like you and I may do that, but not casual fans.)

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

YES....viewership.....but the freeking NFL will get their viewership no matter where they hold that draft...big market, small market....whogivesashitmarket. 

(also...I can guarangoddamtee you that there ain't no casual fans tuning in on day 3 of the draft....not really.  Nerdniks like you and I may do that, but not casual fans.)

I'll ammend it to viewership and more big market attraction in a way, anything in the bigger markets particularly in the East or West Coast cities. Bias, probably true but the overall walk up and viewers I'M GUESSING would be stronger in NY, BOS, PHIL LA than KC, CLE. (I'm guessing I'm right.)

And they want casual fans in days 1 and 2 primetime and not like the old 1 only on the weekend starting at noon or 11 am. You can bet on that!

23 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Moving it to Canton day 3 may not be a bad idea?. 1)it's never been done 2) Roger has seen the attendance in day 3. Adding maybe a new surrounding area,Football HOF with fairgrounds attractions.Hell, It just may work!!

8 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I'll ammend it to viewership and more big market attraction in a way, anything in the bigger markets particularly in the East or West Coast cities. Bias, probably true but the overall walk up and viewers I'M GUESSING would be stronger in NY, BOS, PHIL LA than KC, CLE. (I'm guessing I'm right.)

And they want casual fans in days 1 and 2 primetime and not like the old 1 only on the weekend starting at noon or 11 am. You can bet on that!

Well...I am guessing you are completely dead wrong. 

That would be like saying:   don't hold the Super Bowl in smaller markets like New Orleans or Tampa or Jacksonville because we don't think viewership would be as high for games held in those locations.  

Horse hockey......they just held the Super Bowl in a market about the same size as Cleveland.  Absolutely no concern about viewership there.  And those SBs held in New Orleans?  Absurd that they should do that.....they would be better off holding it in bigger markets....like Norfolk, Birmingham Ala. Greensboro NC, Harrisburg, Salt Lake City, Austin, Raleigh, Hartford, Grand Rapids....all bigger markets than New Orleans. 

NOT the Super Bowl it is in a class by itself an exception to every sporting viewership rule. The only thing even close might be a Game 7 or NCAA championship. 

........edit add, sports viewership is on the decline everywhere NASCAR, Kentucky Derby, professional boxing, golf and more. NEW generation they lose interest in anything after 60 seconds. :lol:

Also the SB viewership has gone straight up since 2005 EXCEPT the last three years of decline, the NFL is concerned.....they should be!  https://www.statista.com/statistics/216526/super-bowl-us-tv-viewership/

Archived