Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DieHardBrownsFan

Johnny is back in spring league

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Yes because one dude acted like a brat, I must dislike all rich people? Haha Starting to think this must have really hit close to home.

Getting right with the public seems to be important to Manziel so don’t think for a second that this guy is out preaching the gospel on mental illness. If he plays his cards right, Manziel will get a try out with some teams. Pulling out the excuses for his behavior is a good start.

It's not hitting a nerve, just stop. The "nerve" it's hitting is that dismissing mental illness out of hand because of someone's past experience is an a-hole move by you. The way you're acting is the reason millions of people in the country are afraid to seek help in the first place.  

I'd bet you 100 dollars Manziel never sees even a preseason snap in the NFL. He knows that, and if you had common sense you would too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think the heisman voters are being more careful with their votes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I respect your opinion but you and I are polar opposites regarding rehab. Rehab and 12 step based follow up was very effective for me. It saved my life no question. I've been sober for 28 years and counting God willing. I do agree with your father in that no one "quits" if they aren't ready. 

Congrats!  And being a browns fan and the ability to stay sober shows incredible intestinal fortitude!

I myself am not a drinker at all,  but the browns make me want to start.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Not really so minimalist, well for us working stiffs, JM had two years in so I believe it's a somewhat livable payday for him.

Each year the NFL minimum salaries increase by $15,000, up to $465,000 for a rookie in 2017. A player’s minimum salary is determined by his years of experience (YOE), ranging from 0 to 10 or more. The chart below shows the minimum (P5) salaries a team can contract a player to based on Years of Experience (credited seasons).

 

Yrs. 2017 2018 2019
0 $465,000 $480,000 $495,000
1 $540,000 $555,000 $570,000
2 $615,000 $630,000 $645,000
3 $690,000 $705,000 $720,000
4-6 $775,000 $790,000 $805,000
7-9 $900,000 $915,000 $930,000
10+ $1,000,000 $1,015,000 $1,030,000

Uhnn......I am talking about the minimal salary he would be playing in the CFL.    That is what he needs to take.  He ain't coming close to getting any kind of a gig in the NFL  with the money that comes with it until he proves 2 things:

A. He has his personal Sheet together......and any NFL team will want him to have had that Sheet together for a couple of years:

B. That he can actually play football a bit.    And Canada ....or I guess maybe the Arena League...for now (yes...until XFL comes around) is the only place he can prove that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Do you think the heisman voters are being more careful with their votes?

No, why?

Johnny deserved the Heisman.

Zombo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Uhnn......I am talking about the minimal salary he would be playing in the CFL.    That is what he needs to take.  He ain't coming close to getting any kind of a gig in the NFL  with the money that comes with it until he proves 2 things:

A. He has his personal Sheet together......and any NFL team will want him to have had that Sheet together for a couple of years:

B. That he can actually play football a bit.    And Canada ....or I guess maybe the Arena League...for now (yes...until XFL comes around) is the only place he can prove that.  

Oh I wasn't sure what they you meant....CFL is real minor league compared to the GREAT AMERICAN GAME! (I still think NFL QBs are way overpriced.)

Like everyone else they all want to be "Coming to America" to make the real money. 

....OH I JUST ACCIDENTALLY RAN INTO THIS, just FYI......

The Australian Football League has implemented a salary cap on its clubs since 1987, when Brisbane and West Coast were admitted, as part of its equalization policy designed to neutralize the ability of the richest and most successful clubs, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn, to perennially dominate the competition......

........The AFL Players Association negotiates for players with the AFL on the topic of average salary. In June 2017, the AFL and AFL Players Association agreed to a new CBA deal which resulted in a 20% increase in players salary. The six-year deal, which begins in 2017 and ends in 2022 means that the average player wage rises from $309,000 to $371,000 and the player salary cap from $10.37m to $12.45m. In 2022, the final year of the agreement, the average player wage will be $389,000 with a salary cap of $13.54m.......... :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arena football salaries and life, GOOD READ.......

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/22/arena-football-league-dreams-following-jay-grudens/

.....Before the league was reset in 2010, salaries were competitive. The league minimum for players was $31,000, though six-figure contracts weren’t uncommon, pushing the average salary near $80,000.

Now, under a single-entity model where players sign contracts with the league, they make $830 a game — $775 for rookies, with quarterbacks earning an extra $250 per start. To offset the meager salaries, players are given three meals a day and have the option of renting an apartment provided by the team, and often arranged by the coach, for $600 per month.

About half of the players on the Soul supplement their income with a second job, while all but two or three have assistance with housing. Around the league, players have been known to work as bouncers at nightclubs or personal trainers at local

gyms.......CONTINUED IN LINK. .........

“I really think it kind of weeds out who’s serious and who’s not,” said Siaha Burley, the offensive coordinator of the Orlando Predators and a former player from 2001 through 2010. “I think if you look at the people who have been around Arena Football for a while, they’ve made some major, major sacrifices to align their lifestyle to be able to handle its ups and downs.

“When you have a family or a wife or what have you, usually, you’re calling for some sort of stability. That’s kind of the American dream. Those who stick around here … they’ve really bought into the game and their job of coaching, and they’re willing to take that chance and whatever opportunities come from it.”..........CONTINUED IN LINK.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Oh I wasn't sure what they you meant....CFL is real minor league compared to the GREAT AMERICAN GAME! (I still think NFL QBs are way overpriced.)

Like everyone else they all want to be "Coming to America" to make the real money. 

....OH I JUST ACCIDENTALLY RAN INTO THIS, just FYI......

The Australian Football League has implemented a salary cap on its clubs since 1987, when Brisbane and West Coast were admitted, as part of its equalization policy designed to neutralize the ability of the richest and most successful clubs, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Hawthorn, to perennially dominate the competition......

........The AFL Players Association negotiates for players with the AFL on the topic of average salary. In June 2017, the AFL and AFL Players Association agreed to a new CBA deal which resulted in a 20% increase in players salary. The six-year deal, which begins in 2017 and ends in 2022 means that the average player wage rises from $309,000 to $371,000 and the player salary cap from $10.37m to $12.45m. In 2022, the final year of the agreement, the average player wage will be $389,000 with a salary cap of $13.54m.......... :o

I don't think they have Quarterbacks in Australian Rules football, do they?    It is more akin to Rugby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Not really so minimalist, well for us working stiffs, JM had two years in so I believe it's a somewhat livable payday for him.

Each year the NFL minimum salaries increase by $15,000, up to $465,000 for a rookie in 2017. A player’s minimum salary is determined by his years of experience (YOE), ranging from 0 to 10 or more. The chart below shows the minimum (P5) salaries a team can contract a player to based on Years of Experience (credited seasons).

 

Yrs. 2017 2018 2019
0 $465,000 $480,000 $495,000
1 $540,000 $555,000 $570,000
2 $615,000 $630,000 $645,000
3 $690,000 $705,000 $720,000
4-6 $775,000 $790,000 $805,000
7-9 $900,000 $915,000 $930,000
10+ $1,000,000 $1,015,000 $1,030,000

Though Gip hit on this- Current salaries are nice- it's probable Manziel already blew through most- if not all of the money he made with the Browns living high off the hog...  Though looking at his contract, I don't think most of us peons could have blown through his rookie $6.7 million guaranteed in a couple of years.... 

Should Johnny even sniff a tryout with an NFL team, you can bet none of that money is going to be guaranteed, and contingent on making the roster. If he got offered $500k to play in the CFL that's not that far off $700k in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Yeah I remember that. Johnny was the master of making excuses and lying directly to people. But somehow everyone is supposed to believe this horse sh-it.

Addicts are really great at lying and making excuses for their behavior... you should know that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Though Gip hit on this- Current salaries are nice- it's probable Manziel already blew through most- if not all of the money he made with the Browns living high off the hog...  Though looking at his contract, I don't think most of us peons could have blown through his rookie $6.7 million guaranteed in a couple of years.... 

Should Johnny even sniff a tryout with an NFL team, you can bet none of that money is going to be guaranteed, and contingent on making the roster. If he got offered $500k to play in the CFL that's not that far off $700k in the NFL. 

He never got close to being offered that kind of money...but that is what his agent said he wanted.

The entire team has about a 5.2 mill salary cap:

The last round of CBA negotiations concluded in June of 2014, a deal that included a bump in the salary cap from $4.4-million to $5-million. The cap has gone up $50,000 in each subsequent year, peaking at $5.2-millon next season.

The Minimum salary is:

The league’s minimum salary was raised from $45,000 to just $50,000 in 2014 with a further increase of $1,000 in each subsequent year, reaching $54,000 next season.

If you are a proven elite QB....you may get something close to what JMZ wants:

The going rate for a starting-calibre CFL quarterback is $400,000, with some players — Hamilton’s Zach Collaros and Edmonton’s Mike Reilly, for instance — surpassing the $500,000 mark. Elite Canadians also tend to make north of $200,000, including Hamilton’s Ted Laurent and Toronto’s Chris Van Zeyl.

But, obviously JMZ is by no means proven to be elite.    Maybe he can get approaching the 200K he wants....but not the 500K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He never got close to being offered that kind of money...but that is what his agent said he wanted.

The entire team has about a 5.2 mill salary cap:

The last round of CBA negotiations concluded in June of 2014, a deal that included a bump in the salary cap from $4.4-million to $5-million. The cap has gone up $50,000 in each subsequent year, peaking at $5.2-millon next season.

The Minimum salary is:

The league’s minimum salary was raised from $45,000 to just $50,000 in 2014 with a further increase of $1,000 in each subsequent year, reaching $54,000 next season.

If you are a proven elite QB....you may get something close to what JMZ wants:

The going rate for a starting-calibre CFL quarterback is $400,000, with some players — Hamilton’s Zach Collaros and Edmonton’s Mike Reilly, for instance — surpassing the $500,000 mark. Elite Canadians also tend to make north of $200,000, including Hamilton’s Ted Laurent and Toronto’s Chris Van Zeyl.

But, obviously JMZ is by no means proven to be elite.    Maybe he can get approaching the 200K he wants....but not the 500K.

:) thanks, was wondering. Johnny's agent apparently wanted top CFL qb money right out of the gate... But mucking (Googling) around, seems that salary cap is sort of flexible...  maybe that's not the case anymore. The Argonauts paid Rajib Ismail $4 million in 2006. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hated the pick when the Browns drafted him and felt bad for Pettine and Hoyer who got saddled with him. However, I do hope that Johnny makes a turnaround and is able to play football again.  I'm more angry at the Browns FO for drafting him with his known problems than angry at JFF for being JFF and don't hold a grudge against him, would be nice if he got his life back on track.  Can't say the same for Ray Farmer, huge grudge there for setting the Browns back another few rebuilding years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

I'd bet you 100 dollars Manziel never sees even a preseason snap in the NFL. He knows that, and if you had common sense you would too.

I'm just curious, but why do you feel this way?

I mean, what exactly did he do that warrants him NEVER getting another chance in the NFL? I'm not a fan of his, but is there something hanging over him that would make it so a NFL team couldn't give him a chance if they wanted to in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't think they have Quarterbacks in Australian Rules football, do they?    It is more akin to Rugby.

Not American style quarterbacks and yes it's very similar to other rugby style games. I just remembered long ago late nights I used to occasionally watch AFL I believe on ESPN, a lot of field goal type kicks for various points as I recall.

It's broadcast and bet all over the globe and has been around for a long time. 

The Australian Football League (AFL) is the pre-eminent professional competition in the sport of Australian rules football. Through the AFL Commission, the AFL also serves as the sport's governing body, and is responsible for controlling the laws of the game. The league was founded as the Victorian Football League (VFL) as a breakaway from the previous Victorian Football Association (VFA), with its inaugural season commencing in 1897. 

Oh I only knew one guy who actually played rugby, he was the manager of the Pizza Hut across the street from my old office he did say that had a hard time finding matches and played in Akron......and that was about 30+ years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

good for him.  If this 3 page thread is any indication, he still has the ability to generate excitement/sense of morbid curiosity.  Hope he gets back on track and can at least find a backup role on some NFL team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Browns1216 said:

good for him.  If this 3 page thread is any indication, he still has the ability to generate excitement/sense of morbid curiosity.  Hope he gets back on track and can at least find a backup role on some NFL team. 

Spring football is still football. I cant stand baseball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm just curious, but why do you feel this way?

I mean, what exactly did he do that warrants him NEVER getting another chance in the NFL? I'm not a fan of his, but is there something hanging over him that would make it so a NFL team couldn't give him a chance if they wanted to in the future?

Too much of a risk/reward scenario. On top of the fact he didn't look great in the time he did play, he's got all the baggage with him (to include a domestic violence piece) that would just never make him look desirable enough for a team to consider him. The guys with serious baggage but got another 2nd chance (Mick Vick, Greg Hardy, etc) were extremely good football players before their indiscretions. 

To put it another way, if Colin K. can't find a job in the NFL because of his decisions, neither will Manziel. Owners are taking the extremely cautious approach to players nowadays for good reason. If Vick would have done what he did in 2017, he'd never have gotten a job again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starts March 28 in Austin. Might try to make that with my brother who will be in town. Maybe I can get him to sign my "Manziel" Browns T shirt that is still in it's plastic wrapper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Spring football is still football. I cant stand baseball.

........."March 28 in Austin, TX -- and during the 2017 season, several NFL scouts attended games to check out some of the players.

Previous Spring League players include Greg Hardy and Kellen Winslow Jr. 

Manziel issued a statement saying, "The Spring League has provided me with a great opportunity to play ball again, and ultimately, that is all I want to do."

"I miss the competition. I'd like to thank Brian Woods and The Spring League staff for this opportunity to play the game I love. I've made my share of mistakes, but I'm 25 years old and I know my best football is ahead of me."

The Spring League had previously made 2 conditions for Manziel to play -- nightly check-ins with a team staff member at 9:30 PM AND he must pass a USADA drug test on the first day of the league. 

No word if those conditions still apply.

The League tells TMZ Sports, ".......THE Authority in Sports Reporting, hey maybe it's true.

And Boo, what's so bad about baseball?  The only sport I know of you can fall asleep for an hour or so and not miss anything.  :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About $40 for Gen. Admissions for each of 2 doubleheaders Sat. April 7 and 14 at the  Circuit of the Americas Race Track near the airport. 

About $340 for a VIP Field pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you bring a cooler of beer, and a bottle of that good central American Rum.  Johnny will be by......

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×