THE BROWNS BOARD

Republican Congress Authorizes Trillion-Dollar Deficit

jbluhm86

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you’re saying the National deficit went away when Trump took office?

I could’ve swore there was a $20 Trillion deficit waiting for him when he took office.

The Bipartisan Budget Act  increases spending by $386 billion over two years and nearly $1.5 trillion over 10 years. It also suspends the debt ceiling until after the next election. So that is another $2 trillion added to the national deficit, on the GOP's watch. A GOP, btw, who have majorities in both houses of Congress that could've voted no on the bill and killed it, and a GOP President sitting in the Oval Office who could've used his veto power. Neither of these things happened, though, oddly enough.

I could've swore that the GOP used to claim to be the party of fiscal responsibility. I thought that's what the whole Tea Party movement was about.

And when both parties contribute to the deficit you naturally blame the one currently in power?

Great logic.

It was good enough logic for you and other hardcore right-wingers when Obama was in office, so why change your rationality now?

3 observations concerning the two major bills passed after one full year of the Trump presidency.

1. Trump doesn't read and since he doesn't read he is an ignorant man incapable of coming up with his own proposed bills. Hence you heard him on both of these for the Republican congress to come up with those bills for him to sign. Since he doesn't read, he signed them unread but took (and was given by Republicans) full credit for the bills. It's the Republican run Senate that has taken the real leadership role here, but they keep Herr Trump happy by kissing his ring.

2. The tax cut bill (which I agreed with-just not in this form) has major cuts for almost all Americans, but insuring more deficit spending. It has a 7 year built in expiration date. But there is one major catch in it that seems unnoticed by his supporters not in the upper 1% income brackets. All of you have that expiration date. Not so for he upper 1%. Theirs is permanent. Go figure how the populist president managed that coup without a blink. How come I never heard that in any of his campaign promises? He doesn't read but you can bet your butt someone from Senate leadership let him know it was there.

3. This two year budget plan is not a budget at all. It's a debt plan. Especially when combined with the tax cut bill. So much for your conservative "Republican populist". You've been flim-flamed by the Greatest Con Man Ever.

On 2/9/2018 at 9:53 AM, Canton Dawg said:

So the GOP members are silent while the national deficit ballooned. Just like the libs were quiet when Obozo doubled the deficit. 

I think both parties own this fiasco.

10 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

It was good enough logic for you and other hardcore right-wingers when Obama was in office, so why change your rationality now?

Who doesn’t have a problem with reading comprehension now?

28 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Who doesn’t have a problem with reading comprehension now?

Well, since you asked "who doesn't have a problem with reading comprehension now", I'd say that I can safely include myself in that category. You might have a problem with grammar, though. :D

However, you and the other right-leaning members of this board have yet to provide answers to my questions, so, I will ask them again:

- Why is it that, when deficit-increasing spending bills were passed by bipartisan Congress' during the Obama administration, you and others on here placed the blame solely at the feet of Obama and the Democrats?

- When another deficit-increasing spending bill was passed by a similarly bipartisan Congress' during Trump's administration, you and others on here now, all of a sudden, are willing to call it a bipartisan failure, and both parties are now equally culpable. Why the sudden change in logic?

34 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

The Bipartisan Budget Act  increases spending by $386 billion over two years and nearly $1.5 trillion over 10 years. It also suspends the debt ceiling until after the next election. So that is another $2 trillion added to the national deficit, on the GOP's watch. A GOP, btw, who have majorities in both houses of Congress that could've voted no on the bill and killed it, and a GOP President sitting in the Oval Office who could've used his veto power. Neither of these things happened, though, oddly enough.

I could've swore that the GOP used to claim to be the party of fiscal responsibility. I thought that's what the whole Tea Party movement was about.

The establishment Rs were not interested in the Tea Party as they  (tea party) were more like a social movement with a Libertarian bent.

but with a disdain for whacked government like it was then fiscally and now....

37 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

Well, since you asked "who doesn't have a problem with reading comprehension now", I'd say that I can safely include myself in that category. You might have a problem with grammar, though. :D

However, you and the other right-leaning members of this board have yet to provide answers to my questions, so, I will ask them again:

- Why is it that, when deficit-increasing spending bills were passed by bipartisan Congress' during the Obama administration, you and others on here placed the blame solely at the feet of Obama and the Democrats?

- When another deficit-increasing spending bill was passed by a similarly bipartisan Congress' during Trump's administration, you and others on here now, all of a sudden, are willing to call it a bipartisan failure, and both parties are now equally culpable. Why the sudden change in logic?

During the 2008-2011 timeframe, the Dims had control of all 3 branches of government and went on a spending spree.

They were responsible for Obozo’s contributions of over $6 trillion of the deficit.

Were they responsible for the debt as a whole?...no

They just added on to the $3 plus trillion from GW Bush, so it’s a joint effort.

27 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

During the 2008-2011 timeframe, the Dims had control of all 3 branches of government and went on a spending spree.

They were responsible for Obozo’s contributions of over $6 trillion of the deficit.

Were they responsible for the debt as a whole?...no

They just added on to the $3 plus trillion from GW Bush, so it’s a joint effort.

So I suppose the GOP "yea" votes on those appropriation bills which fueled the democrat's "spending spree" are to be discounted and the blame solely placed on the Democrats, then? You seem to be proving my point. GOP representation in those bills might not have been as numerous as the Democratic ones, but it was still there. Yet you were quick to say it was a democratic spending spree and that Obama and the Dems added $6t to the debt. It seems that only when YOUR party is in charge and in the majority of government that equally shitty and debt increasing spending bills can be labeled as a bipartisan effort and a failure of both parties. 

Again, this debate we're having here uses the logic that you, Cal, and other right-wingers applied during the Obama administration. Now that the proverbial shoe is on the other foot, you suddenly want to change the rules of the game.

6 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

So I suppose the GOP "yea" votes on those appropriation bills which fueled the democrat's "spending spree" are to be discounted and the blame solely placed on the Democrats, then? You seem to be proving my point. GOP representation in those bills might not have been as numerous as the Democratic ones, but it was still there. Yet you were quick to say it was a democratic spending spree and that Obama and the Dems added $6t to the debt. It seems that only when YOUR party is in charge and in the majority of government that equally shitty and debt increasing spending bills can be labeled as a bipartisan effort and a failure of both parties. 

Again, this debate we're having here uses the logic that you, Cal, and other right-wingers applied during the Obama administration. Now that the proverbial shoe is on the other foot, you suddenly want to change the rules of the game.

No, the deficit is an accumulation of overspending by both parties.

Really not that difficult to comprehend.

11 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

No, the deficit is an accumulation of overspending by both parties.

Really not that difficult to comprehend.

You say that, yet you still appear to be of two minds. The $2 trillion added days ago is a bipartisan failure, according to you, but debt-increasing appropriation bills and debt ceiling increases approved by both parties in Congress during Obama's tenure are still Obama's debt "contributions" and Democratic "spending sprees". How do you explain your cognitive dissonance on that? 

21 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

You say that, yet you still appear to be of two minds. The $2 trillion added days ago is a bipartisan failure, according to you, but debt-increasing appropriation bills and debt ceiling increases approved by both parties in Congress during Obama's tenure are still Obama's debt "contributions" and Democratic "spending sprees". How do you explain your cognitive dissonance on that? 

Simple, during Trump’s tenure as POTUS any increase in the deficit will be attributed to him (even though democratic congressmen voted for the budget).

Same thing for Obozo, he contributed the most to the deficit, albeit there were some GOP congressmen that approved of his budget (if he had a budget).

Therefore the ever burgeoning deficits of our nation are a culmination of BOTH parties.

26 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

not really. Our military is in trouble - it's the smallest since pre-WWII. The dems get control - and start cutting the military projects and funding etc, to have more money for buying indigents' votes with free stuff programs. Then the reps get control, and they have to build the military back up again.

Military readiness was undermined by Obama experiments ...

Jul 23, 2017 - The Trump administration came to power with a clear mandate to restore U.S. military credibility, effectiveness, and capabilities. Such a mandate involves reversing not only the debilitating impact of sequestration on our declining military force structure, but also the Obama administration's social ...

the dems are locked into to welfare spending, and those on welfare are locked into voting for the dems.it's so much of their base.

That is why they demand that millions of illegals keep flooding into our country, and they become citizens - and ignore all the gang members, drug cartel members, etc.

But note - obaMao and holder fought in the courts to kick that terrific educated German couple OUR OF OUR COUNTRYwhen all they wanted to do was to come here, have jobs and home school their children.

Welfare spending jumps 32% during Obama's presidency ...

Oct 18, 2012 - Federal welfare spending has grown by 32 percent over the past four years, fattened by President Obama’s stimulus spending and swelled by a growing number of Americans whose recession-depleted incomes now qualify them for public assistance, according to numbers released ...
Jan 20, 2017 - (CNSNews.com) - Barack Obama was the first president of the United States to spend more on “means-tested entitlements”—AKA welfare—than on national defense, according to data ..... Poverty has also sky rocketed since the nineties alone with raising the real cost of the total welfare program costs.

Means-tested welfare spending or aid to the poor consists of government programs that provide assistance deliberately and exclusively to poor and lower-income people. By contrast, non-welfare programs provide benefits and services for the general population. For example, food stamps, public housing, Medicaid, and ...

FT_17.04.03_budget_640px.png

so, the dems want to give the millions of illegals SS, MEDICARE, and Health benefits

also note: special ed kids can sign up for SS right after HS. There are kids all over that try to be classified as

special ed for that reason. School psychologists have to determine whether or not they are really learning disabled.

also note - so many young women have children out of wedlock to qualify for permanent federal living assistance.

so, adding millions of illegals to the mix - guess what happens? CLOWARD-PIVEN.

22 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Simple, during Trump’s tenure as POTUS any increase in the deficit will be attributed to him (even though democratic congressmen voted for the budget).

Same thing for Obozo, he contributed the most to the deficit, albeit there were some GOP congressmen that approved of his budget (if he had a budget).

Therefore the ever burgeoning deficits of our nation are a culmination of BOTH parties.

Again, we're playing the blame game using the rules you and others on the right set up during the Obama years. Bipartisan spending bills weren't labeled as such by you and others back then, they were called "Obama's debt" or "Democrat's" deficit spending. So, by those rules, this is now Trump's and the GOP's deficit. It's too late to to change the rules when it's your team in charge. Welcome to the Trump deficit.

how the hell can the gigantic failure deficit BOONDOGGLE be considered a bipartisan bill?

What was the vote on ObamaCare in 2010?
In December 2009, the U.S. Senate voted 60 to 39 for Obamacare. The Washington Post reported “The Senate bill passed without a single GOP vote.” In March 2010, the U.S. House voted 219 to 212 for Obamacare. 34 House Democrats and all of the House Republicans voted against Obamacare.Nov 20, 2013

Seriously. and you libs defended obamaocare to the end.

Thanks To Obamacare, Government Debt Is Worse Than You Think

Nov 2, 2016 - As I have shown in a few of my own recent letters, the on-budget deficit would balloon to $1.3 trillion in a recession, easily pushing the increase in debt to $2 trillion per year. That total of $33 ... Within a few years that could add $200 billion to the deficit unless we figure out how to control healthcare costs.

CBO Projections Indicate Obamacare Will Raise Deficits by $131 Billion

www.weeklystandard.com/cbo-projections-indicate-obamacare...deficits.../816288

Analysis of Congressional Budget Office projections by the Senate Budget Committee finds that Obamacare will increase the deficit by more than $100 billion over ... coverage provisions — namely, the tax on “Cadillac plans” and the fines for those who violate the individual or employer mandates — are instead included in .

Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget: Bipartisan Budget Act Cements Return of Trillion-Dollar Deficits:

"Lawmakers have passed a budget deal that will increase deficits by $320 billion over a decade or almost $420 billion with interest and sets the stage for adding $2 trillion to the debt over the next ten years if parts of the deal are made permanent.

The deal would significantly increase caps on discretionary spending by $296 billion over the next two years, provide nearly $90 billion in disaster relief, increase spending on health care in multiple ways, and retroactively extend tax breaks that expired at the end of 2016, among other policies. The deal includes roughly $100 billion of offsets, though many are budget gimmicks or one-time savings like selling oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

This deal is a blow to our nation's fiscal outlook – especially if it is extended permanently...Based on the score from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), the budget deal would increase next year's deficits to roughly $1.2 trillion. Annual deficits would remain over $1 trillion indefinitely.

It is highly unlikely lawmakers would allow a sharp $125 billion cut to discretionary funding to go into effect in 2020 when the deal expires. If the temporary policies in the deal were made permanent, deficits would rise to $1.7 trillion by 2027. If the recently-enacted tax bill and delays of Affordable Care Act taxes were also made permanent, the 2027 deficit would increase further to $2.1 trillion."

trillion%20dollar%20deficits%20from%20bu

So, with this budget, the GOP-majority Congress and Trump just approved adding nearly identical amounts of debt to the deficit, and at the same rate, as Obamacare does, per year. Congrats. Looks like your final Obama dragon has been slain. The GOP signed off on adding the same amount of debt as Obamacare; the very thing that they railed against for almost a decade and shut the government down over in 2013. Your Obamacare argument is pretty much mute at this point. The GOP has just been exposed to be the same frauds and charlatans when it comes to deficit spending as the Democrats are. All of the sturm und drang from the Republican Party and the Tea Party movement over fiscal responsibility has been exposed for the hor.seshit sham that it is. The GOP was only about fiscal conservatism when they were the minority party.

giphy.gif

Oh, and one more thing to ponder:

H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018:

House of Representatives Vote:

diagram.jpg.858827940d8359b50118ad7f5ce2e38d.jpg

Totals

All Votes Republicans Democrats
Aye 56%

No 43%

Not Voting 1%

Senate Vote:

diagram2.jpg.02118ab083071d26b3addc49e9d7da92.jpg

Totals

All Votes   Republicans Democrats Independents
Yea 71%

Nay 28%

Not Voting 1%

diagram2.jpg.c64da79974cb13d3945af4cb657b014e.jpg

So, a majority of Republicans in the house and the Senate voted yes on this deficit-expanding bill, including Tea Party shills like Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, and even your boy John Thune. Really puts all their Tea Party bulls.hit into focus, no?

He said already 100 times he had to cut this deal to get the budget for Defense that he wanted.  The Democrats are the ones who added their Sheet to the budget that caused it to inflate.  MAGA.  If he had enough Republican votes in the Senate (60) he would not have added the Dem's waste.  

8 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Directly from the source. 

No doubt but of course people are going to shitt their pants no matter what direction the budget goes. You know it, I know it. Even if JB says he would welcome a government shutdown. But this isn't over the budget. If it were I would let them shut the son-of-a-bitch down. Cut spending by whatever percent is needed right across the board. Screw the wall spend the money on enforcement and screw the illegals.

So logic what would you have done?

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

No doubt but of course people are going to shitt their pants no matter what direction the budget goes. You know it, I know it. Even if JB says he would welcome a government shutdown. But this isn't over the budget. If it were I would let them shut the son-of-a-bitch down. Cut spending by whatever percent is needed right across the board. Screw the wall spend the money on enforcement and screw the illegals.

So logic what would you have done?

WSS

In retrospect, I would have worked to pass legislation requiring that we stay within our means decades ago. But since that horse is out of the barn, I would have shut the government down until we can pass legislation that would address the need to start slimming down the budget. It is political suicide but we are governed by gutless turds.

We can’t lower taxes and expect the debt to not balloon. If you lower cash inflow, you have to lower cash outflow. Or just put it all on credit cards until Capital One cuts you off.

44 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

In retrospect, I would have worked to pass legislation requiring that we stay within our means decades ago. But since that horse is out of the barn, I would have shut the government down until we can pass legislation that would address the need to start slimming down the budget. It is political suicide but we are governed by gutless turds.

We can’t lower taxes and expect the debt to not balloon. If you lower cash inflow, you have to lower cash outflow. Or just put it all on credit cards until Capital One cuts you off.

We did work to pass just that legislation. It's the law. But to what purpose? Every time we reach the budgetary limits 60% of the Congress can go ahead and override it. So somebody already did that. But now we are where we are. So again I ask if you were the president, or the minority leader, what would you do in this situation?

We aren't pretending that a government shutdown wouldn't make the Democrats and the Press squeal like stuck pigs are we?

WSS

And I don't believe he can really tax your way out of a spending spree gone mad. Pretty soon you choke the economy get even less Revenue which calls for even more spending and a downward spiral.

I would propose just shutting the whole thing down and forcing everybody from the military to the illegals to the other deadbeats to live within their means.

WSS

Archived