THE BROWNS BOARD

NO NFL, NCAA and NO MLB yet so what are you sports nuts watching?

mjp28

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

WW I   correcting the typo  ^^^^

Yes WWII had VE day and VJ day and I'm a big WWII buff and couldn't tell you either of them for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now back to sports, but some of these side trips can be interesting. 

28 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yes WWII had VE day and VJ day and I'm a big WWII buff and couldn't tell you either of them for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now back to sports, but some of these side trips can be interesting. 

Just off the top of my head:  VE Day was like May 5th or 6th.

VJ Day was like August 8th.  (both 1945)

Now I will look them up to see how close I came. 

Edit:   OK...I was close:    VE Day was May 8, 1945.   VJ Day was August 14, 1945.

A bomb dropped on Hiroshima  August 6th.....then the next one on Nagasaki on Aug. 9th. 

Kind of amazing some remember 11/11 at 11 am but WWII didn't have the same finish line type dates and times, maybe because it was so spread out all over the world and not just in one theatre of operation. 

Also many WWII guys like my dad and father-in-law just wanted to come home not talk about it and go to work. Getting raised through the Great Depression had something to do with it.... I think. Total war is never fun.

23 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don't like Motorized sports....but I do like "cross" when it is done on like  snow boards or ice skates:

There's a big old sports world out there that doesn't include a ball...... You should give it a try. 

I know that "driving to the hoop" (LMAO), "going across the middle" or "laying out for a fly ball" (LMFAO) is totally radical to some, so I'll just leave real radical here........... (he gets up and finishes his run) 

13 minutes ago, D Bone said:

There's a big old sports world out there that doesn't include a ball...... You should give it a try. 

I know that "driving to the hoop" (LMAO), "going across the middle" or "laying out for a fly ball" (LMFAO) is totally radical to some, so I'll just leave real radical here........... (he gets up and finishes his run) 

I said I don't care for MOTORIZED sports.    There was no motor on that bike that I could see. 

So, your ASSumption was completely wrong.  There was no ball in the ice cross, snowcross etc. either.

38 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I said I don't care for MOTORIZED sports.    There was no motor on that bike that I could see. 

So, your ASSumption was completely wrong.  There was no ball in the ice cross, snowcross etc. either.

The motor is himself........

Seems most Americans have forgotten that they themselves can be the motor - as they jump in their car and head for Micky Ds..... LMAO 

51 minutes ago, D Bone said:

The motor is himself........

Seems most Americans have forgotten that they themselves can be the motor - as they jump in their car and head for Micky Ds..... LMAO 

Yes...he is the motor....so...ergo...it is non-motorized.  They have 4 different kind of biking events in the Olympics:   track,  road race,  BMX, and Mountain biking.   All good.  But no motors. 

The only kind of motorized racing I would have much interest in would be like  Rocket Ship racing.    First ship to Mars wins.

On 2/8/2018 at 2:11 PM, mjp28 said:

Desperation? The last act of one of the best NBA players ever LBJ, I wonder how close he comes to the all time scoring title?

Since were talking watch some NBA, scouting combine, the the draft. Skiing at the Olympics.  BTW, my math says LeBron will need around 5 seasons averaging 20 PPG to catch Kareem. He might do it if he stays healthy. 

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I saw something on the local news about that, Cavs got younger, faster, more physical including Larry Nance Jr a big strong above the rim guy......former Cavs player's kid.

I'snt Larry Nance still working in the Cavs front Office?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

The only kind of motorized racing I would have much interest in would be like  Rocket Ship racing.    First ship to Mars wins.

To each their own for sure...... Me? Total all of the minutes of basketball that I have ever seen in my 50ys of life and they wouldn't add up to a single quarter of that awful frickin' game.    

It's the first Olympic Sunday I clicked on the NBC site to see what was on when....

12 noon Gold Zone DAY 2......if you click on this it goes into great detail on all the stories and even brings up the live streaming feed if you want! Far out!

All the best action from the past 24 hours of the 2018 Winter Olympics, condensed into two quick hours!

MORE ON THE Olympics thread on the Barber Shop thread. Check it out . 

17 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

The coverage in the Olympics is been pretty terrible I don't this point nothing but figure skating

Preliminary skating and snowboarding, eh but the better events are coming.

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

When is the icefishing event? Can hardly stand the suspense.:P

Right after dressing for sitting out on a huge block of ice for hours freezing your nuts off. :lol:

Actually the downhills are exciting, hockey, ice skating.....it's not AMERICAN FOOTBALL but what is?

Women MMA, Apartment Catfights, Pantyhose and Nylons fetish sites, Anything Zombie, American Pickers, Pawn Stars and Kount's Kustoms.

Soon, Ash vs Evil Dead.

On 2/8/2018 at 10:10 AM, mjp28 said:

NO NFL, NCAA and NO MLB yet so what are you sports nuts watching? It's that major sports lull period for me. :mellow:

The "Cadiverliers" are in tailspin although LBJ won a game at the buzzer yesterday - I'm no hoops guy EXCEPT for MARCH MADNESS I'm all in there.

Thank goodness for the Olympics that start tonight! Thought for a while it might be the NK vs SK missile throwing contest, lol.

I've been watching "m" vs THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY BUCKEYES lately on ESPN CLASSICS. 

Golf, sock-her, even hockey can be boring I'd rather watch kids playing in the street......if you can find any, they're all inside playing video games.....no wonder they'll never leave home.

SO WHAT AM I MISSING ON TV? DON'T SAY THE NETWORK SIT-COMS OR REALITY TV, they stink!

Also, I am watchinf some Olympics, hoping something bad happens to those two Anti American, Mike Pence-hating homos.

17 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

Also, I am watchinf some Olympics, hoping something bad happens to those two Anti American, Mike Pence-hating homos.

You are obsessed with gay sex more than gay people are. 

Usually people who spend so much time railing on about homosexuality, like Mike Pence, and... well... you, usually are found out loooooooooooving the schlong. 

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

What? There are 2,952 athletes set to face off in 102 events across 15 different sports over the course of the next 16 days before the Games come to a close on Feb. 25. These events will take place at 13 venues spread across the counties of PyeongChang and Jeongseon, as well as the coastal city of Gangneung.

The 2018 U.S. Olympic Team is comprised of 244 athletes (135 men, 109 women)......Grow up already. 

GO USA! ENJOY THE GAMES. 

Not to cross thread but I'm watching the Olympics, got to love that skiing and USA'S Lindsey Vonn:

Screenshot_2018-02-14-11-20-20.png

On 13/2/2018 at 1:52 AM, The Gipper said:

I thought a derby was a horse raceI thought a derby was a horse race

I don't know where does the term come from, but in soccer it is used to name a match between from the same city/region. 

For example in Spain 'El derbi vasco' is the match between Athletic de Bilbao and Real Sociedad (San Sebastián), because both teams are from Basque Country. 

7 hours ago, Nero said:

I don't know where does the term come from, but in soccer it is used to name a match between from the same city/region. 

For example in Spain 'El derbi vasco' is the match between Athletic de Bilbao and Real Sociedad (San Sebastián), because both teams are from Basque Country. 

Well...I see this definition of it:

The phrase most likely originated from The Derby, a horse race in England, founded by the 12th Earl of Derby in 1780, since at least as early as 1840 'derby' has been used as a noun in English to denote any kind of sporting contest. A local derby is just a sporting contest between local rivals.

So, well, maybe in English english a sporting contest can be called a derby.....but in American English we have never used that term for anything other than a horse race.

So...I will ask the Americans on here:   have any of you ever heard of any sporting event other than a horse race called a "Derby"?

Edit:  So....here is where I say to myself:  Hello, McFly, is anybody home?   You...Gipper, dumbass are from the Akron Ohio area.......home of the Soap Box Derby.

OK...so I will self flagellate with a wet noodle.

Archived