THE BROWNS BOARD

Saquon Barkley Combine Bound

hoorta

So if the Browns sign Kirk Cousins and draft Barkley #1. 

Would you still want your QB of choice then at #4 or are you going to come of the QB podium and address another position?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Are you going to stop being a fan when the Browns draft him #1 and a QB #4? Serious question.

Yeah...I've been a fan of this shit show for my entire life...all 48 years but I"m going to stop being a fan because the team drafted a RB first over all rather than the QB that the team needs.   The majority of people on this board really don't care that much about who the team drafts as long as the player performs and makes the Browns better.  Only fangirls like you get all worked up about a prospect who has never played in the NFL and goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on telling us how great a NFL player he is already.   Unlikely that they sign Cousins....but of course if they do..then that changes the draft needs.     One thing that you keep forgetting in every scenario that someone brings up about getting Barkely at 4 is that the Giants and Colts could both trade out of their spots to teams who need a QB so if you don't take the QB that you really think is the best at 1....the Browns are potentially settling for the 3rd best one at 4 if trades occur.  The whole thing is a guessing game...but its been proven (by you in fact) that it's nearly just as likely to get a franchise RB in Rounds 2 or later as it is to get it in round 1.

QB first....RB can come later.  If Cousins signs then that changes everything.

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Since you guys like to talk stats and draft position so much... let's look at the Top 10 RBs of last year, their production and their draft position, shall we...

10 - Devonta FreemanOverall, Freeman finished with 865 rushing yards, 4.4 ypc, seven rushing touchdowns, 36 receptions, 317 receiving yards, and one receiving touchdown in the 2017 season.

Freeman was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the fourth round (103rd overall) of the 2014 NFL Draft.

9 - Melvin Gordon - Overall, in the 2017 season, Gordon finished with 1,105 rushing yards, 3.9 ypc, eight rushing touchdowns, 58 receptions, 476 receiving yards, and four receiving touchdowns.

The San Diego Chargers selected Gordon in the first round with the 15th overall pick.

8 - Ezekiel Elliot - Overall, in the 2017 season, he finished with 983 rushing yards, 4.1 ypc, seven rushing touchdowns, 269 receiving yards, and two receiving touchdowns.

Elliott was selected in the first round with the fourth overall pick by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2016 NFL Draft on April 28, 2016

7 - LeSean McCoy - Overall, in the 2017 season, he finished with 1138 rushing yards, 4.0 ypc, 6 rushing touchdowns, 448 receiving yards, and two receiving touchdowns. 

McCoy was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the second round (53rd overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft.[52] He was the fourth running back to be selected that year.

6 - Leanord Fournette - Fournette was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the first round with the fourth overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

As of the 2017 NFL season.

Year Team Games Rushing Receiving Fumbles
G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Fum Lost
2017 JAX 13 13 268 1,040 3.9 90T 9 36 302 8.4 28 1 2 0
Career 13 13 268 1,040 3.9 90T 9 36 302 8.4 28 1 2 0
Playoffs
Year Team Games Rushing Receiving Fumbles
G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Fum Lost
2017 JAX 3 3 70 242 3.5 18 4 7 44 6.3 12 0 0 0
Career 3 3 70 242 3.5 18 4 7 44 6.3 12 0 0 0

Honorable Mention - Dalvin Cook In his first NFL game against the New Orleans Saints, Cook set the Vikings' rookie debut rushing record, previously held by Adrian Peterson by rushing for 127 yards on 22 carries. In four games in his rookie year, Cook finished with 354 rushing yards.

The Minnesota Vikings selected Cook in the second round (41st overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft.

5 - Mark Ingram - he finished the regular season with career-highs of 1,124 rushing yards, 12 rushing touchdowns, 58 receptions, and 416 receiving yards.

The New Orleans Saints selected Ingram in the first round with the 28th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

4 - Alvin Kamara*NFL draft experts and analysts projected him as a second round pick, The New Orleans Saints selected Kamara in the third round (67th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. He was the fifth running back selected. 

In 2017, 728 yards rushing and 826 yards receiving, 9 TDs.

STATS

ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2017 Regular Season 120 728 6.1 74 8 40 81 826 10.2 40 5 1 1
2017 Postseason 21 66 3.1 10 1 3 5 72 14.4 23 1 0 0
Career 120 728 6.1 74 8 40 81 826 10.2 40 5 1 1

3 - Kareem HuntHunt was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the third round (86th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft.

Rushing & Receiving

• * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
  • Share & more
    • Modify & Share Table
    • Embed this Table
    • Get as Excel Workbook (experimental)
    • Get table as CSV (for Excel)
    • Strip Mobile Formatting
    • Copy Link to Table to Clipboard
    • About Sharing Tools
    • Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to
    • Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks
  • Glossary
  Games Rushing Receiving        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       16 16 272 1327 8 69 4.9 82.9 17.0 63 53 455 8.6 3 78 3.3 28.4   1782 11 1 15
2017* 22 KAN RB 27 16 16 272 1327 8 69 4.9 82.9 17.0 63 53 455 8.6 3 78 3.3 28.4 84.1% 1782 11 1 15

2 - La'Veon Bell - Bell was selected in the 2nd round, #48 pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In 2017 Bell had 1291 rushing yards, 4 ypc, 9 rushing TDs, 655 receiving yards, 2 REC TDS. 

1 - Todd Gurley -  Selected in the first Round #10 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Rams. 

Gurley had 1,305 rushing yards, 4.7 ypc. 13 rushing TDs, 788 receiving yards and 6 receiving TDs. Named Offensive Player of the Year in 2017. 

Gold names represent 1st round picks. Orange names represent 2nd and borderline 2nd round picks. Black bold names represent players taken third round or after. Red names - honorable mention for injury.

*Note- Kamara is denoted with an orange label as he barely slips from the second rounder where most draft experts had him rated. 

Here is a nice video I found showing the top 10 in action. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This list clearly shows that FIVE, including the #1 offensive player in the NFL in 2017, that's 50% of the top ten Running Backs were drafted in the first round. FOUR others in the second round, or argumentatively THREE others were drafted in the 2nd round, primo pick territory, as many teams only usually get 1 pick per round. Only 2 players, that were rated in the top 10 were later picks. 

If you watch the video above and compare and look at the stats, there is nothing that any of these guys have done that Barkley is not or could not be capable of doing on a football field. He much faster and stronger and agile than any of these top 10 guys seem to be. I would like to inform you guys that running a successful scheme and often times getting some lucky breaks really do factor into better stats. I don't know how the offensive line play accounts into this list but I would think that it would also be a contributing factor. 

Anyways, it's something to talk about. If you know that these guys are putting up those kinds of numbers and he's a guy coming out in the draft, a guy far superior to any of the guys in the top 10, that's when it's safe for you to use a number 1 overall pick on a talented guy like Saquon. He's likely going to earn offensive rookie of the year next year. It becomes even CLEARER that you are able to have the luxury of taking him #1 when you also have another pick 2 picks later. 

Both NY and INDY are licking their chops at the thought of him slipping through Cleveland hands because of their perceived QB woes. Neither team WANTS to take a QB here, they want Eli and Luck to get better and to support their guys with playmakers and protection. Both these teams have capable QB, what they lack is a dynamic lethal weapon sidekick. One that's an unselfish team first guy, wise beyond his years, Uncapped potential, NFL ready NOW and one with a heart of gold. 

Just for once, let it be us this time. Let it be us. 

I REALLY hope this is the last time I have to say this, but with how you are talking, someone will have to even if it is not me.

AT THIS POINT, SAQUON BARKLEY IS NOT FAR SUPERIOR TO ANY OF THEM.

He MAY have the talent to be so in the future, but he has proven the EXACT SAME AS YOU OR I ON A NFL FIELD.

I'm sure A LOT of people thought that Ki-Jana Carter was going to be GREAT, that is why he was drafted #1. He didn't pan out. Same thing with TRENT RICHARDSON, and another handful of backs. 

At this point Crowell is FAR SUPERIOR TO Barkley. Maybe not nearly as talented, but he has done it in the NFL, not against Akron.

AGAIN, NOBODY IS AGAINST SAQUON BARKLEY. They may not think he should be drafted at 1 or 4, but NOBODY has said he will suck or a bad player or person.

WHAT EVERYONE IS AGAINST IS THE WAY YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HIM. IN THIS VERY POST YOU SAID HE WAS FAR SUPERIOR TO EVERY BACK IN THE NFL. NO. 

He could be next year, the year after, heck he could end up being the best player ever like you say, but RIGHT NOW HE ISN'T.

Don't make me bring out Billy Madison again or endless memes.

Gunz, you are new to this board.

PoG did this same act all season long for Kevin Hogan. KEVIN HOGAN IS THE FUTURE FRANCHISE QB OF THE BROWNS! START KEVIN HOGAN AND THE BROWNS ARE A GUARANTEED PLAYOFF TEAM! CRAZY KEV WILL SHOW EVERYONE HE'S AN ELITE QB WITH THE HEART OF A CHAMPION!

Yes Gunz, the same Kevin Hogan that most likely will be scrambling to find a job as a 3rd-string backup this season.

So, this 9 page thread plus the other one which had around 22... It makes 30 pages of Saquon Barkley? Plus the Allen war... I bet there are 50 pages on two prospects. That's excessive, and it's getting really tiring for me.

Please. PLEASE. I ask for the guys in this board who filled threads like 'Who have you been watching lately?' to supply more content on other prospects. Either highlights, game videos... Whatever.

1 hour ago, Nero said:

So, this 9 page thread plus the other one which had around 22... It makes 30 pages of Saquon Barkley? Plus the Allen war... I bet there are 50 pages on two prospects. That's excessive, and it's getting really tiring for me.

Please. PLEASE. I ask for the guys in this board who filled threads like 'Who have you been watching lately?' to supply more content on other prospects. Either highlights, game videos... Whatever.

Hey Nero - do you like Saquon Barkley? :lol:

17 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

You still draft a RB because Peterson is ancient in RB years.

true-but it doesn't have to be Barkley. Could get a good one at the top of the 2nd or trade to move up a bit if needed.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

If we get McCarron, the odd of Po's wet dream becomes closer to reality. 

Why?  How does that change anything?    If we get Cousins....probably, but not McCarron.   If they sign McCarron they still go for a QB with #1, don't they?  

Or do you think they will say:   We get McCarron....then we go for Kijana Carter Jr. at #1....then we pick up a leftover QB at #4. 

Is that your thinking?

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

If we get McCarron, the odd of Po's wet dream becomes closer to reality. 

If the Browns forego a QB at 1 because they picked up AJ McCarron, I may sh-it glass.

Dorsey doesn't have a reputation for picking RBs early regardless of how the QB situation pans out. However, there is a first time for anything.

Real football players. That's what Dorsey supposedly drafts. He doesn't need to be a knucklehead and just use the number 1 because we need a good QB.

I don't know how to say this, but really, you can find a good QB anywhere. ANYWHERE. Kurt Warner was bagging groceries. Our beloved savior Kirk Cousins was a third round pick. Wilson was a third rounder, Derrick Carr- a second rounder, Tom freaking Brady- a sixth rounder. My point is if you know what you are looking for it's not as hard as we've made it out to be. 

If you can evaluate whether or not a QB is going to be good in the NFL- That should be the reason you are a GM of a team. How many GMs have we had that just flat out dropped the ball? 

Many times they didn't have a #1 Overall pick to fix the problem, and the sad part is that they never even needed one. They could have had sooo many QBs that have done really well. We've had GMs that just don't get it, at all.  

I know we need a QB. I like Hogan, no doubt but if he's not the best than why would he start? That's how you lose games ala starting Kizer all year, to see if he could develop? You know what, watching Kizer make me want to throw up all season has now become a blessing in disguise, because of his shitty play, the Browns are on the clock- and we have the chance to pick up probably the best football player that I've ever seen. 

Some of you can cry and boo-hoo about this thread all you want. It's really not that hard to simply not click. Look, sometimes I'm not into Gipper's Trivia, sometimes I don't care about reading a topic on whatever I don't feel like hearing about... and you know what I do about it? I simply do not click it.  It's crazy that it's 2018 and some people still don't understand how to use the internet. Instead of melting 'snowflakes' into alligator tears, try some common sense and simply do not click... I know right? Revolutionary. Kinda like Saquon Barkley! 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Why?  How does that change anything?    If we get Cousins....probably, but not McCarron.   If they sign McCarron they still go for a QB with #1, don't they?  

Or do you think they will say:   We get McCarron....then we go for Kijana Carter Jr. at #1....then we pick up a leftover QB at #4. 

Is that your thinking?

I said closer- I don't think it will happen. But in the first place, will McCarron even want to sign with the Browns if we tell him hey- we're drafting (insert qb name here) at #1.  Depends if AJ is willing to take a Mike Glennon "prove it" sort of deal, 3 years $18 million guaranteed, potential $45 million. If he would show franchise potential in 2018, easy enough to re-do his contract. Or, considering what Garoppolo got, will he shoot for the moon  (he said it's not all about money) and go for 4 years $70 million, and $35 million guaranteed? He'll have no shortage of interested teams. That CBS article has him only behind Cousins in desirability. Drew Brees is a FA, but he's not going anywhere. 

We do have a leg up on the competition, because AJ has played for both Hue and Zampese, it's not unfamiliar ground.

PS- sorry I yelled at you Po for thread hijacking, guess I'm guilty of the same.   

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

I challenge Saquon to a 10 yard race with the cat. My money is on the cat... My furball Norman has an amazing quick burst off the line. :)   

What do you think SB runs a 10 yarder in? Bet it's pretty quick though. 

I wish they would run the 40's in pads. Full gear would give their true speed on the field. 

I think though that the fact of how strong you are the less the pads would affect you. That bodes well for Bark. 

Really though, how great of a name is Saquon Barkley for the Cleveland Browns. 

Seems he was born for this. You guys don't sense the force in this one? 

7 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

What do you think SB runs a 10 yarder in? Bet it's pretty quick though. 

Sure Barkley's fast. As fast as Usain Bolt? Doubt it...  I thought from personal experience cats have tremendous short burst, and I was right  :)  

Cat  = 29.8 mph

The top speed of a domestic cat is 48 Km/h or 29.8 mph. The fastest top speed of a human, set by Usain Bolt, is 44.7 km/h (27.4 mph). But a cat can only maintain this speed for a very short distance.

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Sure Barkley's fast. As fast as Usain Bolt? Doubt it...  I thought cats had that tremendous short burst, and I was right  :)  

Cat  = 29.8 mph

The top speed of a domestic cat is 48 Km/h or 29.8 mph. The fastest top speed of a human, set by Usain Bolt, is 44.7 km/h (27.4 mph). But a cat can only maintain this speed for a very short distance.

Cat better be in shape or might pull a hammy! 

I think Barkley might be close to Bolt on acceleration. 

I seen a video that had Barkley close to 23 mph in pads and a helmet. I bet he could probably catch Rocky's chickens. I actually wonder if he's tried that before? lol

That would be the first order of business when he gets to Cleveland. Go catch those chickens(Kizer's passes)! 

LOL!

Kizer's Chicken- Finger slippin' good!  :lol:

3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

i was forced to make sense that a cat has a killer 10 yard split..Poe how many CB's or WR's 40 time.. is under Barkley's??

Sometimes those cats shoot straight up! If that happens Barkley's done before Felix lands!  :) 

I'll look it up. He is very fast though. But even more that just fast, but quick(acceleration). He changes direction crazy for someone his size. 

... I guess what I mean is the speed and acceleration times the mass... I seen a video of Barkley running the 40 and the wind that gusts by as he silently glides by- equals some power! It's crazy too, the kid's head hardly ever moves unless he wants it to in order to shake someone... just perfectly still... deceptively still. 

...maybe he's a cyborg? 

11 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Really though, how great of a name is Saquon Barkley for the Cleveland Browns. 

Seems he was born for this. You guys don't sense the force in this one? 

I sense Baker Mayfield\  Bradley Chubb. I sense a great disturbance in The Force. No more will I teach you today.

14 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Sometimes those cats shoot straight up! If that happens Barkley's done before Felix lands!  :) 

I'll look it up. He is very fast though. But even more that just fast, but quick(acceleration). He changes direction crazy for someone his size. 

On a relative scale- cats are way more athletic than humans. That 18" inch tall cat can easily jump 3 times it's height.  Don't think Saquon can high jump 15 feet.  :) A cat that's more human sized (a cheetah) can hit 70 mph in a short burst.  LOL my money's definitely on the cheetah in a 40.  Allowing for some acceleration, my calculator has the cheetah doing a sub 2 second 40. 

Archived