Jump to content
hoorta

Saquon Barkley Combine Bound

Recommended Posts

I've said it multiple times - but man this year's RB class is so deep. 

Investing a Top 5 pick on a RB is an incredibly questionable move generally, but in this draft it's reckless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not about the position the player plays or the round they were drafted in. It's about the player. 

Saquon Barkley is as clean a prospect as you can find, no red flags at all. No bullring nose piercing, no gold grill, he's not an alcoholic, he doesn't do drugs or juice up.

He's super fast, has amazing agility, explosive acceleration, he has great vison, uncanny balance, soft hands and players and coaches love the kid. 

It's about the player. 

 

I'm not against getting Penny as well. He's worth a later pick. 

Saquon Barkley and Raashad Penny would be a hell of running back room. 

Track meet. 

 

This draft needs to be about offense. All offense. Enough with the defense. Our young defense needs time to gel together and develop, that's all. The offense needs an overhaul, it's way past due. 

Getting Gordon back for a whole year is a tremendous start. Adding a player like Barkley and maybe somebody like James Washington would make life WAAAAAY easier on whomever the Browns take at 4. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Well, the stats are the stats. Undrafted Rhodes had 113 yards and a TD while Addai had 77 yards and no TDs.  They had fairly similar careers as well. Saying that Reggie Bush and his 5 yards won a Super Bowl is like saying Kenny Britt won an AFC title. I understand the points your making about my confirmation bias, but you’re doing the same thing.  The main point is that there are far more examples of teams leaning on undrafted RB production than 1st round RB production, and it isn’t really close. 

the ho-hum 1st round production in contrast with the objectively superior production of the undrafted guys only helps my argument. 

You are set in your way of thinking. Thing is, I COMPLETELY agree about QB bring way more important. 

But it's like anything else, you can't have it both ways. If a 1st round RB is talked about like that, then so can another position. If a winning RB is outperformed and still won, same can be said about another position.

And I meant nothing about how Reggie Bush performed that day. But you said no 1st round back had won SB, he most certainly did win. Maybe his play wasn't a factor, but he still got that ring. Just as with Addai. I'll bet if you asked either of them if they would rather have had a ring or outperformed their counterpart, they would choose the ring.

Tom Brady just set records in the SB and he didn't win. Maybe it's more about a team and not any position 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

It's not about the position the player plays or the round they were drafted in. It's about the player. 

Saquon Barkley is as clean a prospect as you can find, no red flags at all. No bullring nose piercing, no gold grill, he's not an alcoholic, he doesn't do drugs or juice up.

He's super fast, has amazing agility, explosive acceleration, he has great vison, uncanny balance, soft hands and players and coaches love the kid. 

It's about the player. 

 

I'm not against getting Penny as well. He's worth a later pick. 

Saquon Barkley and Raashad Penny would be a hell of running back room. 

Track meet. 

 

This draft needs to be about offense. All offense. Enough with the defense. Our young defense needs time to gel together and develop, that's all. The offense needs an overhaul, it's way past due. 

Getting Gordon back for a whole year is a tremendous start. Adding a player like Barkley and maybe somebody like James Washington would make life WAAAAAY easier on whomever the Browns take at 4. 

 

 

 

2 things again Po. You don't know that he doesn't do drugs to say as clean as prospect. You know he hasn't tested positive. Like I said before, nobody knew Tiger was doing what he was doing until he was caught. I'm not saying he isn't clean, but you are making a lot of statements that aren't set in stone.

Now on to the point others have been trying to point out to you. Maybe I can ask it a better way.

I dont know how you have the QB ranked. I know you have said you liked Mayfield. So say the top 4 QB are ranked as follows. 1. Mayfield 2. Darnold 3. Rosen 4. Allen. And say you have Baker ranked 92, Darnold 88 Rosen 82 Allen 78.

You can have either one of these scenarios.

1. Mayfield 2. Darnold 3. Chubb 4. Barkley

OR

1. Barkley 2. Mayfield 3. Darnold (DEN) 4. Rosen

And remember that for the question Rosen is ranked 82. Some have him way high, but was just showing you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I've said it multiple times - but man this year's RB class is so deep. 

Investing a Top 5 pick on a RB is an incredibly questionable move generally, but in this draft it's reckless.

And the BROWNS are in a pickers' paradise loaded with draft picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

And I meant nothing about how Reggie Bush performed that day. But you said no 1st round back had won SB, he most certainly did win. Maybe his play wasn't a factor, but he still got that ring. Just as with Addai. I'll bet if you asked either of them if they would rather have had a ring or outperformed their counterpart, they would choose the ring.

 

I misspoke in my first post. I said any rb when I meant starting RB.  While I’ll admit that starting doesn’t mean much for the RB position, it’s still interesting that more than one super bowl winning team in the past ten years have expected more of an undrafted RB than their first round guy. 

For the most part of you don’t have a good QB and a good defense, your odds of winning a championship go waaayyy down. And while any position will field low round/undrafted guys who are successful, the odds of it happening seem much better with running backs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RoyceRolls said:

I misspoke in my first post. I said any rb when I meant starting RB.  While I’ll admit that starting doesn’t mean much for the RB position, it’s still interesting that more than one super bowl winning team in the past ten years have expected more of an undrafted RB than their first round guy. 

For the most part of you don’t have a good QB and a good defense, your odds of winning a championship go waaayyy down. And while any position will field low round/undrafted guys who are successful, the odds of it happening seem much better with running backs.

I agree on the running back. But the issue with any position, round, etc is getting the right guy.

I'm not saying these are for sure the top 5 QB's of all time, but way up there. Brady, Montana, Manning, Favre, and Rodgers. 2 of 5 1st rounders and Rodgers was passed over. It's about the player not the round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, getting the pick right is most important, but it’s all about odds. The way I see it, your odds are a lot better spending premium picks on QB.  The RB position can be handled by throwing volume at the position. Keep cycling through low round/undrafted guys at the position until something sticks. The odds of that strategy working for the QB position seems a lot less likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunz41 said:

2 things again Po. You don't know that he doesn't do drugs to say as clean as prospect. You know he hasn't tested positive. Like I said before, nobody knew Tiger was doing what he was doing until he was caught. I'm not saying he isn't clean, but you are making a lot of statements that aren't set in stone.

Now on to the point others have been trying to point out to you. Maybe I can ask it a better way.

I dont know how you have the QB ranked. I know you have said you liked Mayfield. So say the top 4 QB are ranked as follows. 1. Mayfield 2. Darnold 3. Rosen 4. Allen. And say you have Baker ranked 92, Darnold 88 Rosen 82 Allen 78.

You can have either one of these scenarios.

1. Mayfield 2. Darnold 3. Chubb 4. Barkley

OR

1. Barkley 2. Mayfield 3. Darnold (DEN) 4. Rosen

And remember that for the question Rosen is ranked 82. Some have him way high, but was just showing you.

 

I hear you, but from what I know- from Barkley's humble beginnings, to seeing his father struggle with drugs and overcoming all of that. He's an inspiration to us all, it's not the hand you are dealt in life, it's how you play it.

From his coaches, both past and present, they all rave about his character, his teammates and guidance counselors revere him. He says and DOES all  the right things.

Have you seen where he gave away his first gold medal? People like this only come around every once in a while. Of course any athlete can carry a football and run north and south. But what I see from Barkley is a master of his craft, an absolute master. He's playing the game within the game. What Barkley does is an art. There are a lot of sketch artists in the NFL, Saquon is akin to Michelangelo.

With OUR OWN troubled past, a player like Barkley is going to make a huge difference. He is a player that everyone knows and everybody loves. We are going to be watched very closely. The Browns will be on the big stage- teams that are on the big stage typically get those iffy calls that we NEVER get. 

When Barkley's Browns take on the Steelers, the whole county is going to want to watch. Good Saquon vs. the dirty Bells, Rices and Mixons of the AFCN. Barkley is Cleveland's Godzilla. It's time we unleash the beast. I wished it was going to be Hillis. Then was let down by Richardson. Barkley is the truth- Zeke.

As Marcus Allen says in his interview above. Looking back over his career, he's asked to name one player, ONE player that brought out the best in him... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get to know Barkley a little better from the eyes of his QB. Take a good listen to why you want Saquon #1. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark O said:

painful-puke-cartoon-man-pain-as-vomits-41750732.jpg

You must be allergic to winning. No wonder you're still a Browns fan! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I hear you, but from what I know- from Barkley's humble beginnings, to seeing his father struggle with drugs and overcoming all of that. He's an inspiration to us all, it's not the hand you are dealt in life, it's how you play it.

From his coaches, both past and present, they all rave about his character, his teammates and guidance counselors revere him. He says and DOES all  the right things.

Have you seen where he gave away his first gold medal? People like this only come around every once in a while. Of course any athlete can carry a football and run north and south. But what I see from Barkley is a master of his craft, an absolute master. He's playing the game within the game. What Barkley does is an art. There are a lot of sketch artists in the NFL, Saquon is akin to Michelangelo.

With OUR OWN troubled past, a player like Barkley is going to make a huge difference. He is a player that everyone knows and everybody loves. We are going to be watched very closely. The Browns will be on the big stage- teams that are on the big stage typically get those iffy calls that we NEVER get. 

When Barkley's Browns take on the Steelers, the whole county is going to want to watch. Good Saquon vs. the dirty Bells, Rices and Mixons of the AFCN. Barkley is Cleveland's Godzilla. It's time we unleash the beast. I wished it was going to be Hillis. Then was let down by Richardson. Barkley is the truth- Zeke.

As Marcus Allen says in his interview above. Looking back over his career, he's asked to name one player, ONE player that brought out the best in him... 

 

You didn't answer the question. I am really curious on your answer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

You must be allergic to winning. No wonder you're still a Browns fan! lol

Well...since you spent all last season telling us that Kevin Hogan was the QB of the future, I'm allergic to your player analysis but mostly, I"m allergic to the fact that you feel the need to beat your love for a player into the ground to the point that the majority of people here will start to irrationally hate that player just because they're sick and tired of listening to you fawn all over them.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gunz41 said:

You didn't answer the question. I am really curious on your answer

If you've ever seen the movie Draft Day, Costner writes down the name of a player and puts it in his pocket the day of the draft. The player I'm writing down is- Saquon Barkley, no matter what. I would put the QBs that I would like in the order of, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen. 

If I could take Barkley and Mayfield/Allen I would be ecstatic. But if Baker and Allen go 2 and 3, and I had to take Darnold/Rosen at 4? Many expect us to take Darnold #1, so yeah I could live with that. Every one of these QBs would have a lot more success as a Brown with a RB like Barkley than they would if we pass on him. 

I take Barkley #1 and let the #4 sort itself out. I see 5 good QBs and at the worst case scenario I get to pick who I like the best out of 3 of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mark O said:

Well...since you spent all last season telling us that Kevin Hogan was the QB of the future, I'm allergic to your player analysis but mostly, I"m allergic to the fact that you feel the need to beat your love for a player into the ground to the point that the majority of people here will start to irrationally hate that player just because they're sick and tired of listening to you fawn all over them.  

Why do you keep coming back then? I just don't get it. 

You try and berate me but you imitate a bitch returning again and again to lap up its own vomit.

Are you really jealous of Saquon Barkley? That's IT! That's it, isn't it?

Awww, c'mon Mark, he's just a really-really great football player. Don't be like that, don't act that way- we all love you too, MO. You are a really smart football fan. You are a good read on the BrownsBoard and you are an important part of our dawgpound. You have a lot of great insights most of the time... but this time, you're just wrong bud. Get on the train brother, it's going to be awesome.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Get to know Barkley a little better from the eyes of his QB. Take a good listen to why you want Saquon #1. 

 

 

I'd take Barkley's qb's word for it. He's an outstanding kid, too.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

consider three points I like to go by with the high picks in the draft:

1.What pick will pizz off the ratbirds and stinking squealers?

2. What pick will have the most dramatic effect on improving the Browns?

3. Where can I really expect them to be. 

So, Barkley would do all three - he is the sure thing in this draft, and destined to be a star, no doubt.

check this out:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Why do you keep coming back then? I just don't get it. 

You try and berate me but you imitate a bitch returning again and again to lap up its own vomit.

Are you really jealous of Saquon Barkley? That's IT! That's it, isn't it?

Awww, c'mon Mark, he's just a really-really great football player. Don't be like that, don't act that way- we all love you too, MO. You are a really smart football fan. You are a good read on the BrownsBoard and you are an important part of our dawgpound. You have a lot of great insights most of the time... but this time, you're just wrong bud. Get on the train brother, it's going to be awesome.  

 

Why do we keep coming back? Mostly because you're so over the top on Saquon it's funny in a demented sort of way. Ignore other very valid counter points, and just keep droning on with the same mantra over, and over, and over. To the point- as Mark said we're just tired of hearing more of the same old, same old.We got it weeks ago, that he's a really, really good prospect. Exactly how good I'll expound on in closing. Hell, you just watch his highlights, you'd think he scores a touchdown every other time he touches the ball, something we've said is of minimal value when assessing a player.

Why would any of us have a reason to be jealous of him? 

OK, I've done my scouting. Barkley looks as good as any running back as I've seen since the Browns returned in '99, including one who's in the HOF. Better? That remains to be seen. Does that mean we HAVE to draft him #1? Um no. None of those other guys were. It just may be Dorsey & Company will put a higher priority on putting an end to adding another name or three to the quarterback jersey every year. 

Draft isn't until April 26th, a lot can happen in the meantime. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Why do we keep coming back? Mostly because you're so over the top on Saquon it's funny in a demented sort of way. Ignore other very valid counter points, and just keep droning on with the same mantra over, and over, and over. To the point- as Mark said we're just tired of hearing more of the same old, same old.

You have to understand cal to understand his love for Barkley and the Great Orange One. :rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

There are several RBs in this draft better than the Blind Crow. 2nd round will be just fine for the Browns to get one too.

agree..but lets try something new.When ya sit on over 100M in cap space whats wrong with throwing market value 5.5M-6M at Crow..Farmer stole the guy as a UDFA that we again built up paying nothing 4 years..Just as Hunt & Kamara it's always good to have 2 backs at position. Duke & Dayes got the other half covered.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

agree..but lets try something new.When ya sit on over 100M in cap space whats wrong with throwing market value 5.5M-6M at Crow..Farmer stole the guy as a UDFA that we again built up paying nothing 4 years..Just as Hunt & Kamara it's always good to have 2 backs at position. Duke & Dayes got the other half covered.  

Duke is a free agent after the 2018 season, and Dayes has barely played. I'd consider drafting replacements for Crowell and Duke (for the future). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You have to understand cal to understand his love for Barkley and the Great Orange One. :rolleyes:

 

Considering cal seems to be on a three year old's level regarding maturity, it shouldn't shock anyone that he'd come running to this thread to express his love of Barkley right after Mark told PoG off about his love affair for the kid. Cal is predictable in his foolishness.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Duke is a free agent after the 2018 season, and Dayes has barely played. I'd consider drafting replacements for Crowell and Duke (for the future). 

No, what you really want is USC's RB Hill( opps! R.Jones) to replace Duke:lol:..Dukes been are best player in 2 seasons.GM's job is to extend them type players this off-season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

No, what you really want is USC's RB Hill to replace Duke:lol:..Dukes been are best player in 2 seasons.GM's job is to extend them type players this off-season 

I do like me some Ronald Jones! Actually though I wouldn't be opposed to extending Duke if it can be done affordably, but in general I'm not a big fan of throwing big free agent/extension money at RBs. I'd rather just draft a new one and get cheaper years out of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opps! Ronald Jones;) We well earned over 100M in cap space by not paying playmaker:angry: The Draft Class should cost us under $12M..Fix this chit'show 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PoeticG said:

If you've ever seen the movie Draft Day, Costner writes down the name of a player and puts it in his pocket the day of the draft. The player I'm writing down is- Saquon Barkley, no matter what. I would put the QBs that I would like in the order of, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen. 

If I could take Barkley and Mayfield/Allen I would be ecstatic. But if Baker and Allen go 2 and 3, and I had to take Darnold/Rosen at 4? Many expect us to take Darnold #1, so yeah I could live with that. Every one of these QBs would have a lot more success as a Brown with a RB like Barkley than they would if we pass on him. 

I take Barkley #1 and let the #4 sort itself out. I see 5 good QBs and at the worst case scenario I get to pick who I like the best out of 3 of them. 

See THAT is where I have an issue with your love for Barkley.

You got the option in the question of getting your top QB AND Barkley at 4. But you chose to take Barkley and then your 3rd QB choice.

So you care more about Barkley going 1st for some kind of trend/hasn't been done in a long time over getting the best team possible.

I think the young man seems like a really good man, and a good prospect. He hasn't proven ANYTHING as of now. And while it wouldn't be my pick, I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting him. But when you draft him (or anyone else) at a detriment to the team.

If after combine and pro days the QB position is ranked Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen like you say, and you can get Mayfield and Barkley at 1 and 4, it is WAY MORE IMPORTANT to get them both as opposed to A CERTAIN PLAYER BEING THE 1 PICK

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You have to understand cal to understand his love for Barkley and the Great Orange One. :rolleyes:

 

nasty bitches gonna bitch. it is what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the Browns go Mayfield at #1 and Fitzpatrick at #4, but i wouldn't mind them going with Saquon with the #4 pick.  I'd be shocked if he wasn't there at #4, but if not there are still plenty of good RBs to go around in this draft class.  Haslam has made it very clear that this FO is on a mission to find a QB, if they don't use the #1 on a QB I don't  even know what this team is doing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

nasty bitches gonna bitch. it is what it is.

:wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×