THE BROWNS BOARD

Saquon Barkley Combine Bound

hoorta

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, PoeticG said:

I'm finally able to run for president in 2020! Let's do this!

I think you need to change your name to something with Barkley. I have NEVER seen someone in love with a player the way you are, that won't listen to ANYONE and will forget things he says to bolster his point, and make negatives into extreme positives.

So now, we should take suggestions on new names 😁😂🤔🤔🤔

2 hours ago, Gunz41 said:

I think you need to change your name to something with Barkley. I have NEVER seen someone in love with a player the way you are, that won't listen to ANYONE and will forget things he says to bolster his point, and make negatives into extreme positives.

So now, we should take suggestions on new names 😁😂🤔🤔🤔

Were you not here during the season to see his love for a shitty 3rd string QB Shane Hogan??    Apparently this Hogan cat who completed nearly more passes to the Texans than he did the Browns in his one start is a franchise HOF QB if only given the chance to start.  He would've turned this entire season around.   :rolleyes:

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/24954/mel-kiper-could-scenario-where-browns-take-saquon-barkley-first-qb-fourth

But Kiper readily admitted that Barkley could be the first overall pick, with the Browns taking a quarterback fourth.

“It depends on how they stack the board on the quarterbacks,” Kiper said Wednesday on a conference call with the media.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F1104%2Fr284299_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40 Saquon Barkley will be the first running back off the board, but will he go No. 1 overall to the Browns? Mike Carter/USA TODAY Sports

Kiper’s reasoning: If the Browns have close grades on two or three quarterbacks, they could easily take Barkley first. Kiper already has gone on record saying Barkley is the best player in the draft.

“He’s got great lower body strength,” Kiper said. “Powerful kid in the lower body. That’s why he breaks tackles. He can stop on a dime and make people miss. (He) catches the ball out of the backfield.”

Which lends him to the first overall pick, except for one fact: he plays running back. The position has become devalued in the NFL.

However, if the Browns want a back to pair with Duke Johnson, they’d have a hard time finding anyone better than Barkley.

If Barkley were the pick, the Browns would then be assured of getting either Sam Darnold, Josh Allen or Josh Rosen with the fourth pick.

If they are ranked closely, it wouldn’t matter.

“None of them are perfect,” Kiper said. “They all have some red flags.”

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Which lends him to the first overall pick, except for one fact: he plays running back. The position has become devalued in the NFLIf Barkley were the pick, the Browns would then be assured of getting either Sam Darnold, Josh Allen barf Josh Rosen, or Baker Mayfield with the fourth pick. 

If they are ranked closely, it wouldn’t matter. “None of them are perfect,” Kiper said. “They all have some red flags.”

FIFY. Haven't we already discussed this scenario several times? 

I would say that what I've posted are a combination of facts and thoughtful opinion. Articles by journalists, quotes from peers, coaches, fans, scouts and analysts. Videos of various nature; from composed Highlight videos to solid raw gametape. I've expressed concern that wanting a QB so badly that you force it and don't take what the "Football Gods" are giving you in Barkley would be the biggest mistake this franchise has made since cutting Kosar, firing Paul Brown or trying to strong arm Jim Brown. 

Football is supposed to be fun! I can promise you it'll be as fun as watching Josh Cribbs run back Kick Returns every time Saquon touches the ball. 

It's not a bad thing, most aren't opposed to taking him at #4 if he was still available. The issue being the position AND the need for a QB. 

The HB is just as important as the QB. They are a duo, two means to the same end. At the end of the day you either have to run it in- or throw it in. The defense can only really keen in on one or the other, it's very difficult for one defensive scheme to stop everything... I guess it would depend the talent of the defense to some extent. But generally, strengthening one will weaken the other, that's why football is so beautiful a sport. It's a team game, with many moving pieces, exploiting weaknesses and protecting the ball. Working in sync from one phase of the game to the next, one vision, one goal. 

I have to admit, I will not be surprised if they take Barkley with the first pick, because surely he will not be there

at 4.

My guess is, it's a deep draft in rb's, but the two picks have to be immediate impact players...

or a face of the franchise qb. I think that is Allen or Mayfield. or Darnold. nobody else. In that order.

My expectations are, that the Browns, whoever they draft high, they will be two players that will scare the hell out

of the division opponents and make them know that the Browns are a far more dangerous team because of those top five picks.

But Barkley is that, bigtime. It's going to be a wild draft. We could all be wrong. That would be funny.

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I have to admit, I will not be surprised if they take Barkley with the first pick, because surely he will not be there

at 4.

My guess is, it's a deep draft in rb's, but the two picks have to be immediate impact players...

or a face of the franchise qb. I think that is Allen or Mayfield. or Darnold. nobody else. In that order.

My expectations are, that the Browns, whoever they draft high, they will be two players that will scare the hell out

of the division opponents and make them know that the Browns are a far more dangerous team because of those top five picks.

But Barkley is that, bigtime. It's going to be a wild draft. We could all be wrong. That would be funny.

Just once I would like to see a draft turn out really well and a year there with no major pieces getting injured at the wrong times. 2017 had that potential, but one injury after another never allowed them to be a complete defense or offense. The Browns were just always off kilter that way every single week. 2018 has even greater potential if everyone is back (including Wilson at top speed) and the draft picks turn out as well as we hope. I think I smell Kool-Aid. Sept. can't come too soon.

Ha- I get the last word in here. Music to my ears.  Po won't be happy what Peter King had to say about Saquon. Thread closed, Look for the new one- it's show time Saquon...  :) 

Peter King, Sports Illustrated: 

I GET THE SAQUON BARKLEY HYPE. I DON’T GET PICKING A BACK THAT HIGH

The recent history of rookie running backs suggests to me that picking Barkley, the Penn State star and very highly rated running back, in the top five would be … well, I won’t call it a mistake. Because a great player is a great player. But I am saying the history of this position shows a team might be much better off solving its needs at another position and getting the back later in the draft. 

2017: Offensive rookie of the year Alvin Kamara was the 67th overall pick, the fifth back selected. NFL rushing champion Kareem Hunt was the 86thoverall pick, the sixth back taken.

2016: Jordan Howard, the 10th back chosen and 150th overall pick, finished second in rushing as a rookie. The 13th back picked, Alex Collins, has developed into the Ravens’ number one and a stalwart back.

2015: Seventh running back picked: David Johnson (86th overall), who led the NFL in yards from scrimmage in 2016 with 2,118 … Thirteenth running back picked: Jay Ajayi, 149th overall.

2014: Devonta Freeman (ninth back picked, 103rd overall) is the Falcons’ franchise back.

And so on.

ESPN’s Todd McShay has Barkley as his highest-rated player in the draft. “Adrian Peterson is the last back I gave a higher grade to,” McShay told me. “But I hear you. The question I would ask is, say I needed a pass-rusher—really needed one. Would I pass on [North Carolina State’s] Bradley Chubb to take Barkley in the top five, then try to get a rusher near the top of the second round? If you’re picking 33, 35, 38 [overall], I can tell you that you’ll have a chance to get a running back with a first-round grade who will be very productive for you. But the pass-rushers may be gone by then.”

I’m not ignoring the greatness of Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette and Todd Gurley, all of whom were top-10 picks and have played great. But the average overall pick for Kamara, Hunt and David Johnson—each of whom are either franchise backs or verging on that title—was number 80. I just think smart teams can solve franchise-player needs high in the first round elsewhere, and get a very good back down the line. History backs it up.

• hoorta locked this topic

Archived